@GTV reviews the Cosmic Fantasy 1-2 Switch collection by Edia, provides examples of the poor English editing/localization work. It's much worse for CF1. Rated "D" for disappointment, finding that TurboGrafx CF2 is better & while CF1's the real draw, Edia screwed it up...
Main Menu

FX-Unit Yuki: The Henshin Engine for TurboGrafx-16/PC Engine

Started by sirhcman, 09/19/2016, 09:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

elmer

Michirin9801

Ladies of Thunder much? ;3

Just a thing, a couple of extra tiles to make it look nicer would be very welcome! Something kinda like this:

deviantart net/./yuki_edit_by_michirin9801-dbg45bc.png

CrackTiger

Quote from: Michirin9801 on 07/12/2017, 10:54 PMLadies of Thunder much? ;3

Just a thing, a couple of extra tiles to make it look nicer would be very welcome! Something kinda like this:
deviantart net/yuki_edit_by_michirin9801-dbg45bc.png
The tiles are just in the wrong order. This is how they were designed to be arranged:

IMG IMG

And although that particular short stretch is literally the plainest scene in the stage, those specific tiles and the lowest number of unique shades are used to squeeze in dual layer parallax with shading. You can see what it looks like in motion at the 22 second mark in this video:
If everything makes it into the Gods of Lightning stage as planned, there should be around 8 different scenes/types of parallax and only brief periods when none is currently happening. There are also at least as many unique scenes visually, while many popular PCE shooters only have have a single type of scene used for an entire stage. In order to potentially pack in that much variety, things were streamlined considerably from what I had originally planned and assets are reused in different ways as much as possible.

So you can point out little additions that could be added to any particular scene out of context, but there are reasons for why things were designed the way they were. I'm still expecting cuts to happen and am just hoping for a good balance in the end.
Justin the Not-So-Cheery Black/Hack/CrackTiger helped Joshua Jackass, Andrew/Arkhan Dildovich and the DildoPhiles destroy 2 PC Engine groups: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook, then the other by Aaron Nanto!!! Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together! Both times he blamed the Aarons and their staff in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged/destructive/doxxing toxic turbo troll gang which he covers up for under the "community" euphemism!

Michirin9801

Oh okay, that explains a lot (and looks a lot better)

OldRover

The only cuts that have happened per se are in a few of the transitions. It wasn't possible to do the proper layering required for a couple of them, and 5-3 (shown above) is no exception. Despite easily being the most complex of the stage 5 regions, 5-1's layout favors seamless layered transitions through careful usage of scroll zones, dynamic tiles, and sprite overlays.
Turbo Badass Rank: Janne (6 of 12 clears)
Conquered so far: Sinistron, Violent Soldier, Tatsujin, Super Raiden, Shape Shifter, Rayxanber II

ToyMachine78

Can you still pre-order this? KS link is dead, and official website seems to just take you back to main page

CrackTiger

Quote from: The Old Rover on 07/13/2017, 04:37 PMThe only cuts that have happened per se are in a few of the transitions. It wasn't possible to do the proper layering required for a couple of them, and 5-3 (shown above) is no exception. Despite easily being the most complex of the stage 5 regions, 5-1's layout favors seamless layered transitions through careful usage of scroll zones, dynamic tiles, and sprite overlays.
If that means what I think it does for the first stretch of the stage, it's definitely going to balance out cuts in other places and will be a very impressive experience. :)

Lords of Thunder stages only feature around 4 scenes of parallax each and no matter how short any branch/section of the Gods of Lightning stage might end up being, it's still going to be a massive level overall.
Justin the Not-So-Cheery Black/Hack/CrackTiger helped Joshua Jackass, Andrew/Arkhan Dildovich and the DildoPhiles destroy 2 PC Engine groups: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook, then the other by Aaron Nanto!!! Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together! Both times he blamed the Aarons and their staff in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged/destructive/doxxing toxic turbo troll gang which he covers up for under the "community" euphemism!

sirhcman

Quote from: guest on 07/13/2017, 06:21 PMCan you still pre-order this? KS link is dead, and official website seems to just take you back to main page
THEY RAN OFF WITH THE MONIEZ!

All kidding aside, Saru said copies would be available once the pre-orders are fulfilled

OldRover

Conquered so far: Sinistron, Violent Soldier, Tatsujin, Super Raiden, Shape Shifter, Rayxanber II

OldRover

The biggest difference between LoT and HE's GoL stage is that LoT uses a scheme where the level tiles are compressed, then decompressed on-the-fly to build the level as it goes. HE's GoL stage doesn't do this and just loads all the tiles for the stage at once. There isn't enough time to implement LoT's technique, though for the real GoL, that will be done.

CrackTiger

I guess the explosion isn't making it in? :(

IMG

OldRover

The large explosion looks out of place for 16x16 enemies. It is better-suited to enemies 32x32 or larger, such as the crusty bug, and larger composite enemies, such as the winged dude with fireballs around him. Smaller enemies like the bug, or smaller composites like the worm, are better suited to the smaller 16x16 explosion frames.

eponasoft.com/yuki-0589.png

Michirin9801

OldRover

...and yes, that has parallax scrolling there.

CrackTiger

Wow, what a relief. :D I'll send you a 16 x 16 small explosion sprite in the large explosion's colors, so it all ties together. :)

Jester82

Seriously this is looking amazing. Is there a release window for the PC Engine Version? Take your time, will be worth the wait. Just curious...

OldRover

esteban

IMGIMG IMG  |  IMG  |  IMG IMG

CrackTiger

sirhcman

Quote from: Jester82 on 07/15/2017, 12:51 AMSeriously this is looking amazing. Is there a release window for the PC Engine Version? Take your time, will be worth the wait. Just curious...
Saru said it would be mid August

Psycho Punch

this is quite possibly the best PCE homebrew project to date, keep up the good work!
This Toxic Turbo Troll & Clone Warrior calls himself "Burning Fight!!" on Neo-Geo.com
For a good time, reach out to: aleffrenan94@gmail.com or punchballmariobros@gmail.com
Like DildoKobold, dildos are provided free of charge, no need to bring your own! :lol:
He also ran scripts to steal/clone this forum which blew up the error logs!
I had to delete THOUSANDS of error log entries cause of this nutcase!
how_to_spell_ys_sign_origin_ver.webp

OldRover

One thing I am actually quite proud of is the fact that the game has an attract mode, with actual demo gameplay.

yuki-0610.png, yuki-0612.png

ParanoiaDragon

Quote from: OldRover on 07/15/2017, 12:52 AMAnd so it was written... and so it was done.
yuki-0590.png
Just out of curiosity, what kind of parallax we talkin' on that liquid hot magma at the bottom? There gonna be h-int, like Air Zonk's first level(at least, I think that would be called h-int/horizontal interrupt)?
IMG

CrackTiger

Quote from: ParanoiaDragon on 07/17/2017, 02:24 AM
Quote from: The Old Rover on 07/15/2017, 12:52 AMAnd so it was written... and so it was done.

/yuki-0590.png
Just out of curiosity, what kind of parallax we talkin' on that liquid hot magma at the bottom? There gonna be h-int, like Air Zonk's first level(at least, I think that would be called h-int/horizontal interrupt)?
With HuC you can only have 4 sliding strips. Everything beyond that would be dynamic tiles. Since some of the dynamic tile parallax was already cut to give some to a much more elaborate scene, it's safe to say that this section will only have 4 strips of parallax.

What sucks is that there is apparently still available space for content and it's just the tile limit that's the bottleneck again.

OldRover

esteban

Sweet.

But how does medina get this before me?

:)

OldRover

2X4

I haven't been on here for a long time, but when I saw this I was blown away.  To everyone involved in this, kick ass work.  I will be picking up a copy.  BTW are the levels set in stone?  Maybe you should do a Splatterhouse level...
The Turbo was Dual Core when Dual Core wasn't cool . . .

blueraven

Yeah everything is looking great, guys. Well done!

OldRover

Unfortunately, there is not enough time to add any more levels to this game. :( It would mean planning, designing, drawing, and coding in a new level in the course of a mere 10 days, plus an additional soundtrack (the disc is already full so this wouldn't even work) on top of the work that still needs to be done in the next 10 days before the unveiling of the complete game at Game On Expo.

2X4

Yes, I know.  Just a little humor there.  Glad to see you working on this awesome project.
The Turbo was Dual Core when Dual Core wasn't cool . . .

OldRover

While finishing up one of the GoL stages, I found the most hardcore flaw in the compiler that I think I've ever seen. I am amazed that the compiler did not catch this blatant error:

enemyy(enemyy);
That is supposed to be

spr_y(enemyy);
and yet HuC did not catch this, and compiled it normally. When the code ran, I got this:

yuki-0684.png

and it started playing the entire ADPCM buffer at 8k. Phenomenal fail. :lol:

esteban

esadajr

10 days! wow! It looks like it was yesterday when the campaign was just a dream.
Gaming since 1985

OldRover

Yup, the reveal of the complete game will be on August 11th... just ten days from now. :) Obviously we will have to have it finished before then... the 9th is the last day I'll be able to do anything for it here so it has to be done by then, as I'll be traveling to Phoenix on the 10th with the final build in hand. :)

esteban

BigusSchmuck

Quote from: OldRover on 08/01/2017, 09:31 AMYup, the reveal of the complete game will be on August 11th... just ten days from now. :) Obviously we will have to have it finished before then... the 9th is the last day I'll be able to do anything for it here so it has to be done by then, as I'll be traveling to Phoenix on the 10th with the final build in hand. :)
On my wife's birthday no less, awesome!

elmer

Quote from: OldRover on 08/01/2017, 09:31 AMYup, the reveal of the complete game will be on August 11th... just ten days from now. :) Obviously we will have to have it finished before then... the 9th is the last day I'll be able to do anything for it here so it has to be done by then, as I'll be traveling to Phoenix on the 10th with the final build in hand. :)
Best wishes for the big reveal/launch at the Game-On expo this weekend! I hope that you guys will be posting photos.

Jester82

esteban

OldRover

I don't have many pics to spare as I didn't take a lot but here's a few. We did not actually finish the game as planned but our display version was very close to finished. I met with quite a few backers and not a single one of them complained that it wasn't done yet, all sharing the same sentiment: it's better to come out late but complete than to come out on time but rushed and unfinished. Anyway...

Here is Jesse and Chris setting up and doing some camera work:
frozenutopia.com/0apic1.jpg

Jesse hanging out at our booth as the show starts up:
frozenutopia.com/0apic2.jpg

The legendary Kiyoshi Okuma playing the game while his wife Che looks on and Saru and Chris speak with a KS backer:
frozenutopia.com/0apic3.jpg

Us hanging out with some of the CollectorVision guys... I'm the fat, uninspired dumbass in the middle:
frozenutopia.com/0apic4.jpg

Finally, right after the show ended, all of our team present went to dinner with the Hitsparks team; Kiyoshi and Che along with Chris Tang:
frozenutopia.com/0apic5.jpg

It was a pretty good event overall. I'm sure Saru has more pics than I do; I don't tend to take a lot of them.

esteban

Splendid. Thanks for the update + pics.

:)

sirhcman

Crack/Hack/Fap_Tiger didn't go for the big reveal?

CrackTiger

Quote from: guest on 08/15/2017, 01:10 PMBlack Tiger didn't go for the big reveal?
It was in Arizona. :P

If I can swing it at the time, I'll be at the PGRE.

haightc

Quote from: guest on 08/15/2017, 01:20 PM
Quote from: guest on 08/15/2017, 01:10 PMBlack Tiger didn't go for the big reveal?

Out of curiosity what is the PGRE?

CrackTiger

Gredler

Quote from: haightc on 08/15/2017, 06:34 PMOut of curiosity what is the PGRE?
I believe it's the portland retro gaming expo

sirhcman

Quote from: haightc on 08/15/2017, 06:34 PM

PRGE (Portland Retro Gaming Expo)

Gredler

PGRE Is portland retro gaming expo, I think.

ParanoiaDragon

Quote from: guest on 08/15/2017, 08:09 PMPrince Rupert Gaming Expo
Quote from: Gredler on 08/15/2017, 08:25 PM
Quote from: haightc on 08/15/2017, 06:34 PMOut of curiosity what is the PGRE?
I believe it's the portland retro gaming expo
Quote from: guest on 08/15/2017, 08:45 PM
Quote from: haightc on 08/15/2017, 06:34 PM

PRGE (Portland Retro Gaming Expo)
Quote from: Gredler on 08/15/2017, 08:59 PMPGRE Is portland retro gaming expo, I think.
I want to say it's maybe the Portland Retro Gaming Expo......but it's also possible that it's the Prince Rupert Gaming Expo......just not sure.
IMG