RIP to BT Garner of MindRec.com... He passed away early 2023 from health problems. BT was one of the top PCE homebrew developers and founder of the OG Turbo List, then PCECP.com. Condolences to family and friends.
IMG
IMG
Main Menu

Wireless TurboPads: Feasible?

Started by 2X4, 06/04/2008, 11:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

2X4

I have a set of the infrared pc engine controllers, which are ok, as long as you don't turn more than 5 degrees from the receiver, and someone started a petition to get some throwback company to make new wireless controllers (not showing signs of fruition), so I'm reading an article today about some dude who has hacked nes, snes and genesis controllers into wireless VC controllers for the Wii, and I'm thinking "how hard would it be to hack a turbopad into a wireless turbopad?"

Anyone with the skillz, please tell me, what would it basically take to do this?  Give me a basic idea of what materials would be needed and how it would work.
The Turbo was Dual Core when Dual Core wasn't cool . . .

guyjin

Well, there are psx>pce controller adaptors, and there are wireless psx controllers, so you could do it that way.

Turbo D

what we really need is a blue tooth avenue 6! With one of those, you could play streetfighter2' on your pcengine from the other room, lol.
Quote from: MissaFX on 01/06/2008, 12:10 PMMy idea of gaming is a couple of friends over, a couple of drinks, a couple of medical-handrolled-game-enhancing-cigs and a glowing box you all worship.
IMG IMG
IMG

Platinumfungi

Quote from: guyjin on 06/04/2008, 12:26 PMWell, there are psx>pce controller adaptors, and there are wireless psx controllers, so you could do it that way.
If that would work, could you then take the PSX controller's guts, chop them up (and rewire them if need be) to fit/be inside a NEC controller...?
IMG

2X4

I was thinking more along the lines of possibly converting the infrared pc engine controllers to RF.  Or straight up building an rf transmitter and receiver and hacking them into a turbo pad/turbo tap kind of thing.  Would this be possible, and if so how would I do it?  Here's the article that spawned this thread
The Turbo was Dual Core when Dual Core wasn't cool . . .

Platinumfungi

Hmm...I can't seem to get your link to work 2x4...
IMG

nat

I fixed the link in his message.

CkRtech

Hey 2X4.

That would really be a useful controller hack to have - wireless PCE. The problem is that the wireless part has to be designed for the console rather than the controller. If you hacked a PSX controller into bits and put them inside a PCE controller case, you would still essentially have a playstation controller in a new shell. Unless you have that converter that guyjin mentioned, you'll be in trouble when you attempt to hook it up to your PCE.

:-k

In theory, I don't see you having too much trouble getting the d-pad, select, start, X and O buttons of the PSX controller to line up with the appropriate PCE buttons. The question would be how do you hook up your switches for "turbo." It could be that the PSX-> PCE converter is designed so the L and R buttons cycle the turbo settings for PCE buttons II and I. That being the case, you may have to get creative when it comes to converting the turbo switches to work like you're hitting the L and R buttons on the PSX controller.

OR.....you could just not care about the turbo buttons.

GUTS

I've heard that people make wireless SNES controllers with Wavebirds, so maybe that would work.  A SNES and TG controller are roughly the same size, maybe you could cram all the wavebird stuff inside one of those awesome RX 6 button pads.