RIP to BT Garner of MindRec.com... He passed away early 2023 from health problems. BT was one of the top PCE homebrew developers and founder of the OG Turbo List, then PCECP.com. Condolences to family and friends.
IMG
IMG
Main Menu

Introducing myself and Turbo Views......

Started by ChrisBucci, 01/05/2009, 02:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SuperPlay

"Battle Royale" - Turbo Views #89 (TurboGrafx-16 / Duo game REVIEW!)

Another fine production :-)

TR0N

Quote from: guest on 12/25/2015, 11:17 AM
Quote from: TR0N on 12/25/2015, 04:30 AM
Quote from: guest on 12/24/2015, 11:26 PM"Battle Royale" - Turbo Views #89 (TurboGrafx-16 / Duo game REVIEW!)
It's a shame to the TG16 deserve better when it came to a wrestling game.
I have never actually played the game, it looks good but the way Chris described the game doesn't even want me to give it a chance! :)
Any one that reviews it often trashes it. What NEC should have done is released the PCE fire pro wrestling games over here.
IMG
PSN:MrNeoGeo
Wii U:Progearspec

esteban

Quote from: ginoscope on 12/25/2015, 12:01 PMI have never played that game either and from what Chris said I may pass as well.

The moves seemed so overly complicated and when "select" is used in game play it's never a good idea.
If you have three-button AVE PAD 3, you can have BUTTON III map to SELECT.

Of course, not everyone has a 3-button pad (I like 'em, even the third-party models I've tried).
IMGIMG IMG  |  IMG  |  IMG IMG

ChrisBucci

Thanks for sharing, commenting and supporting the series all of these years so far.
I hope all of you guys at the PC-Engine FX Forums had a wonderful holiday and have a great New Year!  :)
-  Chris

Bardoly

Quote from: spida1a on 12/27/2015, 12:20 PMThanks for sharing, commenting and supporting the series all of these years so far.
I hope all of you guys at the PC-Engine FX Forums had a wonderful holiday and have a great New Year!  :)
-  Chris
Thank YOU for your doing this video review series, sir!

esteban

Quote from: spida1a on 12/27/2015, 12:20 PMThanks for sharing, commenting and supporting the series all of these years so far.
-  Chris
All I remember is that you started a long time ago. :)

ginoscope

Quote from: Bardoly on 12/27/2015, 01:33 PM
-  Chris
Thank YOU for your doing this video review series, sir!
Agreed thanks for the series it's very appreciated.

Alt-Nintega

Great Battle Royale review Chris!! That game is in top 10 worst Obey games of all time. 0 turbochips!! Happy New Year!!!!

TR0N

IMG

CGQuarterly

rxmage

All of his reviews are excellent.   Glad to see a new one released!

esteban

Quote from: TR0N on 06/27/2016, 01:48 PM
Stage 4 Asteroids is still the toughest stage for me. My strategies are LAME and I always get slammed by speeding asteroids or a cluster of asteroids/bullets. Ha! It's sad, but I just never figured out a good strategy.

The final two stages are very doable for any shootemup fan (IMHO). In other words, the final two stages are challenging, but FAIR, and it isn't too hard to devise strategies (countering the constant barrage of tiny homing missiles in Stage 5's maze is easy for me compared to the asteroids).

Don't be fooled by the final stageā€”a lot of the crazy chaos on the screen can be easily avoided (you just need to find a "narrow path" through everything, you don't have to build a high score). STAGE 6 = Gradius skills will aide you.

Old_Rover (nodtveidt) has an excellent post/thread about the differences between Sinistron (NA) and Violent Soldier (JP).

I will leave it to a Sirch-Fu Guru to fynde the olde threade.

Otaking

Great to see a new a video and it's excellent always.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=86jH2UQmvKY&t=812s
Quote from: some block off youtubeIn one episode, Dodongo c-walks out of a convenience store with a 40 at 7:40 AM, steals an arcade machine from an auction, haggles in Spanish for a stuffed papa smurf to use as a sex toy, and buys Secret of Mana for a dollar.

TR0N

Quote from: esteban on 06/28/2016, 07:09 AM
Quote from: TR0N on 06/27/2016, 01:48 PM
Stage 4 Asteroids is still the toughest stage for me. My strategies are LAME and I always get slammed by speeding asteroids or a cluster of asteroids/bullets. Ha! It's sad, but I just never figured out a good strategy.

The final two stages are very doable for any shootemup fan (IMHO). In other words, the final two stages are challenging, but FAIR, and it isn't too hard to devise strategies (countering the constant barrage of tiny homing missiles in Stage 5's maze is easy for me compared to the asteroids).

Don't be fooled by the final stageā€”a lot of the crazy chaos on the screen can be easily avoided (you just need to find a "narrow path" through everything, you don't have to build a high score). STAGE 6 = Gradius skills will aide you.

Old_Rover (nodtveidt) has an excellent post/thread about the differences between Sinistron (NA) and Violent Soldier (JP).

I will leave it to a Sirch-Fu Guru to fynde the olde threade.
Playing sinsistron will cause a bad case of baldness  :wink: :roll:
IMG

NightWolve

I enjoyed the episode, beat the game within the rental period as a kid, so over a weekend. Can't remember if it was frustratingly difficult, but I know I beat it back then. Is Chris as bad at videogames as James the Angry Video Game Nerd is ? ;)

esteban

Quote from: NightWolve on 06/29/2016, 12:33 AMI enjoyed the episode, beat the game within the rental period as a kid, so over a weekend. Can't remember if it was frustratingly difficult, but I know I beat it back then. Is Chris as bad at videogames as James the Angry Video Game Nerd is ? ;)
He beat Darkwing Duck, something I have never been able to do.

I don't know how he did it.

:)

wildfruit

ChrisBucci

Thanks for the support !   As always guys.  :)

Groover

Spida1a Thanks for sharing. Another great video. I really enjoy your opinions. I commend you on yours skills in getting through this challenging game.
IMG

ChrisBucci

Thanks Groover.   I think so far ... of the games that are "beatable" ... I'm batting about 83% in beating them for reviews.   The ones I can't I try REALLY REALLY hard.  Lol!  :)

NightWolve

Psycho Punch

AKA Hardcore "Run each port once on an emulator to do an inaccurate article posing as the ultimate resource on the subject" 101.
This Toxic Turbo Troll & Clone Warrior calls himself "Burning Fight!!" on Neo-Geo.com
For a good time, reach out to: aleffrenan94@gmail.com or punchballmariobros@gmail.com
Like DildoKobold, dildos are provided free of charge, no need to bring your own! :lol:
He also ran scripts to steal/clone this forum which blew up the error logs!
I had to delete THOUSANDS of error log entries cause of this nutcase!
how_to_spell_ys_sign_origin_ver.webp

NightWolve

Psycho John Schizomaniak's M.O. as I recall. Not to mention the intentional libel he's printed on there before. But is that what you think of this article and/or generally speaking ?

jperryss

Quote from: guest on 07/04/2016, 08:24 PMAKA Hardcore "Run each port once on an emulator to do an inaccurate article posing as the ultimate resource on the subject" 101.
What was inaccurate in his article? Honest question. I see a lot of HG101 hate here but most of his reviews seem to align with what I've read here and on TBD.

NightWolve

Yeah, ole Punchy Punch probably won't respond now as he does in other cases when questioned about the snipes/shots he takes.

It's definitely gotta be at least a reference to that John Szczepaniak guy, AKA Crazy/Pyscho John, who declared war on the Metal Gear Solid 2 translator, Agness Kaku, and her sister, after a falling out when he went to Japan for his book! The guy even caught 2 libel lawsuits because they didn't take his 4chan power troll bullshit lying down, good thing to have watched!

Anyway, if you search around here, you can find a thread on a PCE shooter review he did that many here lambasted as a fail for multiple reasons. We haven't been fans of his PCE reviews, put it that way.

That said, there are many authors on the HG101 website and lots of content you won't find elsewhere. I do find plenty of typos which I report for correction actually, but there's still great stuff that can't be dismissed because of a bipolar ahole like John.

The comprehensive Falcom/Ys article by Kurt Kalata is absolutely legendary, nothing like it anywhere else; it's pretty much the best I have ever seen and is something I wish I could've put together myself! Almost everything and anything about Ys all in one place, nothing else can compete with it from what I've seen:

http://www.hardcoregaming101.net/ys/ys.htm

For the record, I'm not somebody to wanna get in the tank for HG101, believe me... (1) Kurt Kalata banned me from the HG101 forums as a favor to Thomas Lipschultz, the XSEED criminal employee who used his company for revenge and got me cheated. They're friends and did live panels together on Falcom many years ago (Lipschultz is to the left of Kurt in this video). I had sent a PM to Lipschultz' WyrdWad account there, he reported me to Kurt, and my account was simply banned. He could've just deleted my message and blocked me, but he pulled a favor.

(2) Before that, Psycho John let Jeff Nussbaum, another criminal who I used to translate Ys games with, write whatever libelous nonsense, a lying narrative basically, in an interview to justify the cheating that occurred, to send a message to me that way since he was playing stupid with me (sat quiet for 3 years, pretending not to know me anymore) after those disgraceful XSEED deals... I was never contacted for any kind of rebuttal, a chance to set the record straight on what Jeff said (they're "journalists," shouldn't an opportunity be given when serious attacks are made ?), and I never will be. That's who those guys are, that's how it goes...

But, yeah, I still kinda like the site mainly for that Ys article and other occasional interesting stuff... It's having to separate the quality of work from an ahole and the ahole from quality of work (which yes, can be a very difficult thing to do!)... Even with John, a few here like jeffhlewis can vouch for the work he did on his book. Content you wouldn't have gotten from anywhere else. Most people are happy with the purchase of said book (anecdotally from what I've seen), but just didn't care for all the drama he pulled on his Kickstarter updates.

CrackTiger

I think that Punch was just talking about how poor too many of their articles are. Many people seem to jump at the chance to do one just for the sake of it. Too many spend more time pushing ignorant theories and stereotypes than providing any more insight about a game than you would pick up from watching a few minutes of gameplay on youtube or reading the first couple paragraphs on a game's wiki page.
Justin the Not-So-Cheery Black/Hack/CrackTiger helped Joshua Jackass, Andrew/Arkhan Dildovich and the DildoPhiles destroy 2 PC Engine groups: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook, then the other by Aaron Nanto!!! Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together! Both times he blamed the Aarons and their staff in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged/destructive/doxxing toxic turbo troll gang which he covers up for under the "community" euphemism!

SavagePencil

Quote from: spida1a on 07/03/2016, 12:08 PMThanks Groover.   I think so far ... of the games that are "beatable" ... I'm batting about 83% in beating them for reviews.   The ones I can't I try REALLY REALLY hard.  Lol!  :)
spida1a, how much of your footage capture is from live hardware and how much is done through emulation?  I was wondering if you could just cheat your way through on the latter.

Gredler

Quote from: NightWolve on 07/05/2016, 10:12 PMhttp://www.hardcoregaming101.net/ys/ys.htm
Amidst a current furious love affair growing with Ys, long overdue I know, this is awesome to have up and glance through at work while I wait to get home and finish off books 2 :P

Thanks so much for sharing!

Also, Spida1a , another bad ass video from the king of NEC reviews - hell yeah!! Thanks for keeping up with the series and putting in all of the work that goes into making such a quality production - it's very much appreciated. I think I've rewatched your turboviews videos more than any other youtube or tv show, it's just so awesome hearing the opinions of a veteran player who can actually tackle some of these ultra difficult games!

Spida1a for president!

NightWolve

Quote from: Gredler on 07/06/2016, 02:39 PM
Quote from: NightWolve on 07/05/2016, 10:12 PMhttp://www.hardcoregaming101.net/ys/ys.htm
Amidst a current furious love affair growing with Ys, long overdue I know, this is awesome to have up and glance through at work while I wait to get home and finish off books 2 :P

Thanks so much for sharing!
Beware, an emulator was likely used to play all/most Ys titles to produce that article, NOT very "hardcore" of HG101, therefore you should not appreciate anything in there... ;) Real men know to play games on real hardware in order for true appreciation to be derived... Any other experience is fake and unworthy...

P.S. You're welcome BTW. :)

Psycho Punch

Quote from: jperryss on 07/05/2016, 10:42 AM
Quote from: Psycho Punch on 07/04/2016, 08:24 PMAKA Hardcore "Run each port once on an emulator to do an inaccurate article posing as the ultimate resource on the subject" 101.
What was inaccurate in his article? Honest question. I see a lot of HG101 hate here but most of his reviews seem to align with what I've read here and on TBD.
Honestly every time there's a multiple port comparison it's always obvious they just played the "lesser" versions for 10 minutes each. The Darius article comes to mind, some minor stuff here and there but I'm not the one named "Hardcore Gaming 101" :P
Sometimes they do it for the "main" games of an article too. Some don't even go beyond the obvious, low hanging fruit. I think they're the best in highlighting some obscure games to western audiences and when they actually do some decent research (almost everything that came from their kickstarter is gold regardless of John's drama).
This Toxic Turbo Troll & Clone Warrior calls himself "Burning Fight!!" on Neo-Geo.com
For a good time, reach out to: aleffrenan94@gmail.com or punchballmariobros@gmail.com
Like DildoKobold, dildos are provided free of charge, no need to bring your own! :lol:

Psycho Punch

that said...

Quote from: NightWolve on 07/05/2016, 10:12 PMYeah, ole Punchy Punch probably won't respond now as he does in other cases when questioned about the snipes/shots he takes.
... why is everyone trying to roast me here nowadays? I regret joining DoxPhile. :P

CrackTiger

Quote from: Psycho Punch on 07/06/2016, 06:50 PM
Quote from: jperryss on 07/05/2016, 10:42 AM
Quote from: Psycho Punch on 07/04/2016, 08:24 PMAKA Hardcore "Run each port once on an emulator to do an inaccurate article posing as the ultimate resource on the subject" 101.
Honestly every time there's a multiple port comparison it's always obvious they just played the "lesser" versions for 10 minutes each. The Darius article comes to mind, some minor stuff here and there but I'm not the one named "Hardcore Gaming 101" :P
Sometimes they do it for the "main" games of an article too. Some don't even go beyond the obvious, low hanging fruit. I think they're the best in highlighting some obscure games to western audiences and when they actually do some decent research (almost everything that came from their kickstarter is gold regardless of John's drama).
Exactly, the point isn't that using emulators to take screenshots is bad, it's that too many of the articles read like an Arthur D Wolf rom list video.

https://youtu.be/pKiF-gIPckk&list=PL312C31A44D8D7778

Aeroblasters:

"Sooo, at least it... looks good?                I suppose."

I thought it was funny years ago, when hardcoregaming101 first posted their multi-page Tengai Makyou article and after skimming through it and it seemed alright, I then saw my name as the only reference at the end. :P

Looks like they give no credit and don't list any sources now. :/
Justin the Not-So-Cheery Black/Hack/CrackTiger helped Joshua Jackass, Andrew/Arkhan Dildovich and the DildoPhiles destroy 2 PC Engine groups: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook, then the other by Aaron Nanto!!! Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together! Both times he blamed the Aarons and their staff in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged/destructive/doxxing toxic turbo troll gang which he covers up for under the "community" euphemism!

esteban

Hahahahhahajaaj!

I have watched ARTHUR D WOLF videos before!!

I was trying to figure out how to play WALLABY!  and, at the time (a couple years ago?) his was one of the only English videos ...

I doubt the situation has changed.

NightWolve

Quote from: guest on 07/06/2016, 06:50 PMHonestly every time there's a multiple port comparison it's always obvious they just played the "lesser" versions for 10 minutes each. The Darius article comes to mind, some minor stuff here and there but I'm not the one named "Hardcore Gaming 101" :P
I see, so it took another poster for you to return and defend the generalization. Noted.

Quote from: guest on 07/06/2016, 07:10 PM
Quote from: NightWolve on 07/05/2016, 10:12 PMYeah, ole Punchy Punch probably won't respond now as he does in other cases when questioned about the snipes/shots he takes.
... why is everyone trying to roast me here nowadays ? I regret joining DoxPhile. :P
I haven't noticed you being "roasted."

Psycho Punch

Quote from: NightWolve on 07/07/2016, 02:03 PM
Quote from: Psycho Punch on 07/06/2016, 06:50 PMHonestly every time there's a multiple port comparison it's always obvious they just played the "lesser" versions for 10 minutes each. The Darius article comes to mind, some minor stuff here and there but I'm not the one named "Hardcore Gaming 101" :P
I see, so it took another poster for you to return and defend the generalization. Noted.

Quote from: Psycho Punch on 07/06/2016, 07:10 PM
... why is everyone trying to roast me here nowadays? I regret joining DoxPhile. :P
Didn't have nothing to do with DoxPhile and I haven't noticed you being "roasted."
That's because I'm not eating your provocations. Wait maybe I did that just now. oh

Gredler

Thread derailing brought to you by DoxPhile, the HPV of the NEC community.

NightWolve

Quote from: guest on 07/07/2016, 04:41 PMThat's because I'm not eating your provocations. Wait maybe I did that just now. oh
You've been needling/trolling me for some time now on this forum, so it's cute to have seen you claim you feel "everyone's trying to roast me all the time" or I was the provocateur when I just wanted share the Sinitron article to complement Chris' video. I have lots of problems with HG101 myself as I mentioned already, but I don't know this particular article's author, he's not John (always a plus), and it seems alright to me. Do I have to explicitly tell you to f--k off already or are you getting the hint ?

Quote from: Gredler on 07/07/2016, 04:46 PMThread derailing brought to you by DoxPhile, the HPV of the NEC community.
Truth... Lots and lots of truth there...

TurboXray

The whole "hardcore" in Hardcore Gaming 101 really is a misnomer. They really should rename it to General Information on Rare-ish or Lesser Known Games 101.

Psycho Punch

Quote from: NightWolve on 07/07/2016, 06:16 PM
Quote from: Psycho Punch on 07/07/2016, 04:41 PMThat's because I'm not eating your provocations. Wait maybe I did that just now. oh
You've been needling/trolling me for some time now on this forum, so it's cute to have seen you claim you feel "everyone's trying to roast me all the time" or I was the provocateur when I just wanted share the Sinitron article to complement Chris' video. I have lots of problems with HG101 myself as I mentioned already, but I don't know this particular article's author, he's not John (always a plus), and it seems alright to me. Do I have to explicitly tell you to f--k off already or are you getting the hint ?
You take this forum way too seriously sometimes.
e: sorry if I made you angry for some reason. I really don't remember what I did (and don't bother quoting my post history please), but please take it easy on the forums, you'll end up getting pissed off by half the userbase at this rate.

NightWolve

Quote from: Psycho Aleff Correa on 07/07/2016, 04:41 PM...snipe...
Another generalization, this time about me, and you seemed awfully serious in the Trump thread, attacking people (us meme parrots) in it for posting less-than-serious political memes and not catering to "your needs" for substantive debate, but now you're Mr. Don't-Take-Things-Seriously around here... If you wanna keep needling me on this forum, but then expect it not to antagonize me, then the problem's yours. That is and has been your intent!

As for HG101, that particular author didn't earn its enemies, nor did he earn its friends; he deserves to be judged on his own merits. Yes, you can't escape some baggage depending on the platform you're published on, but I'm wondering if every time I share an HG101 article, you'll just crap on it with generalizations out of hand due to other authors. In retrospect, I should've just ignored you rather than let Chris' thread get ruined with this tangent and be antagonized further by your BS.

ClodBusted

To me, the majority of articles written on HG101 are alright. Better than other reviews on the more commercialized gaming websites. For those games that I like, e.g. the Parodius, Mega Man, Gradius, Valis and Puyo Puyo writeups, the author's opinions pretty much matches with mine. Others maybe not that much, but that's just fine to me, I accept that tastes are different.

If I'd write in-depth videogame reviews, they would likely read like bullshit, because I'm bad at it.

Back to topic, thanks for uploading your new Sinistrom review, Chris!

TurboXray

I usually check out HG101 when I'm bored, but I never take their articles seriously. There's never any sort of accurate in depth review of anything. The articles are very generalizing IMO. Especially when it comes to ports, and you can usually tell when an author hasn't played more than 10 mins of some port just for the sake of the article acknowledgement. I appreciate it for what it is, but I don't pretend HG101 is something it's not. Like I said, it's a decent site for generalized information spanning a wide range of games and platforms, with the "hardcore" part being the misnomer.

NightWolve

Quote from: guest on 07/08/2016, 04:38 AMTo me, the majority of articles written on HG101 are alright. Better than other reviews on the more commercialized gaming websites. For those games that I like, e.g. the Parodius, Mega Man, Gradius, Valis and Puyo Puyo writeups, the author's opinions pretty much matches with mine. Others maybe not that much, but that's just fine to me, I accept that tastes are different.
Yeah, that's pretty much how I feel about it from the articles I've seen. Some are hefty in writing at times, so I don't always read the whole thing unless I'm really interested in it, and speaking of which, wow, that Mega Man series special, I recall Kurt said it hit well over 50,000 words or something!!! I caught 8 errors for them on the 1st page, but no way was I gonna finish reading all that... I skimmed the rest and checked out the eye candy.

ChrisBucci

Hey, thanks Gredler!   I appreciate that, I truly do.   

SavagePencil ... I play my games on an actual TurboDuo and record the footage through an old SONY Handycam Digital-8 Camcorder.   Then, I capture that footage into my computer (making script notes as I do) and "up-convert" the final video slightly for YouTube upload.   So .. I have never used emulation but rather the actual hardware to play every game in my review from day one. :)   

Thanks!
Chris

Quote from: SavagePencil on 07/05/2016, 11:22 PM
Quote from: spida1a on 07/03/2016, 12:08 PMThanks Groover.   I think so far ... of the games that are "beatable" ... I'm batting about 83% in beating them for reviews.   The ones I can't I try REALLY REALLY hard.  Lol!  :)
spida1a, how much of your footage capture is from live hardware and how much is done through emulation?  I was wondering if you could just cheat your way through on the latter.

SavagePencil

Quote from: spida1a on 07/10/2016, 09:40 PMSavagePencil ... I play my games on an actual TurboDuo and record the footage through an old SONY Handycam Digital-8 Camcorder.   Then, I capture that footage into my computer (making script notes as I do) and "up-convert" the final video slightly for YouTube upload.   So .. I have never used emulation but rather the actual hardware to play every game in my review from day one. :)   

Thanks!
Chris
Well dang, now I'm even more impressed!

CGQuarterly

Quote from: spida1a on 07/10/2016, 09:40 PMHey, thanks Gredler!   I appreciate that, I truly do.   

SavagePencil ... I play my games on an actual TurboDuo and record the footage through an old SONY Handycam Digital-8 Camcorder.   Then, I capture that footage into my computer (making script notes as I do) and "up-convert" the final video slightly for YouTube upload.   So .. I have never used emulation but rather the actual hardware to play every game in my review from day one. :)   

Thanks!
Chris

Quote from: SavagePencil on 07/05/2016, 11:22 PM
Before I got a Framemeister + Elgato, I was using a DVD recorder for all of my game footage, then ripping the DVD on my computer.  It was a real pain in the ass, but I didn't know that I could just buy a Digital8 camcorder off of eBay and use the video inputs on in, nor did I know that you could hook those camcorders up to your computer.  So much time, I wasted...

ChrisBucci

Well, I mean ... it is probably an old-fashioned, outdated way of doing things.   Ha ha!   But, that's the way I started doing the series back in 2008 / 09 and I just continued the same way.    I like playing the games using the original hardware (so I can put myself back in that time).  Plus, it helps me to take "notes" as I capture the footage as to things I want to make sure to mention in the review itself.   You know?   

Although ... my Digital8 camcorder only goes out via Firewire into the computer.  So, I had to pickup a FW card when I updated the computer.   Doh!  :)

SavagePencil

Well kudos to you, then.  I've been working with getting a good, consistent capture setup combo for audio & video so that I can assess and improve my performance on shmups.  I was surprised at how annoying it can be.  I figured with all the editing you had to do that you would play through on natural hardware but maybe cheat a little with an emulator for save states, reaching the end, etc.  They were already impressive but now they're...even more impressive.

CGQuarterly

Quote from: spida1a on 07/11/2016, 05:58 PMWell, I mean ... it is probably an old-fashioned, outdated way of doing things.   Ha ha!   But, that's the way I started doing the series back in 2008 / 09 and I just continued the same way.    I like playing the games using the original hardware (so I can put myself back in that time).  Plus, it helps me to take "notes" as I capture the footage as to things I want to make sure to mention in the review itself.   You know?   

Although ... my Digital8 camcorder only goes out via Firewire into the computer.  So, I had to pickup a FW card when I updated the computer.   Doh!  :)
I think it's a totally cool way to do it.  I was just saying that it seems way easier than the method that I was using.  I too will only use actual hardware on my channel, but the DVD recorder setup was sub-optimal because I would waste a ton of time always trying to get the DVD rip settings just right.  The method I'm using now is definitely the best way to do it, but it also cost me over $400.  A used Digital8 camera and a Firewire -> Thunderbolt cable would have been much cheaper (although the imagine quality wouldn't have been as good...)

Psycho Punch

Nothing bad with camcorders and dvd players, if I recall correctly that's how most of the AVGN episodes' game footage were made, with just a simple DVD player + recorder bonus.