@GTV reviews the Cosmic Fantasy 1-2 Switch collection by Edia, provides examples of the poor English editing/localization work. It's much worse for CF1. Rated "D" for disappointment, finding that TurboGrafx CF2 is better & while CF1's the real draw, Edia screwed it up...
Main Menu

PCE DUO cd spindle not spinning but laser is tracking and seeking.

Started by skyway1985, 06/20/2017, 09:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

skyway1985

Hi Guys! i usually hang out at Assembler or Obscure gamers but i need some specialized help.
i got a CIB duo that needed a recap badly. it would attempt to read the cd but fail due to the caps.
i also RGB modded it in the process after Recap. i swapped the laser for a new HOP tested it out and the cd drive worked a treat, sound was good but the rgb had interference. i knew exactly what it was so i went to pick up the board but forgot to shut it off, when i touched the pcb the spindle motor started jerking a bit. figured my finger touched something. no big deal right? so after i fix the RGB (btw looks tits and installed a comp to c-sync switch to keep standard AV functioning) i reinstalled everything.... and....... the laser tracks down to the base, it attempts to read but never spins. laser turns on the whole 9.  Also checked for voltage across the two terminals on the spindle and notice no voltage across those 2 pins.... BUT even if its just sitting at the bios screen, the negative and positive terminals on the motor show 5v each individually so pink wire to ground? 5v, black to ground? 5v......

I need some kind of guidance to trace this fault. im so pissed at this thing. rebuilding my IFU cd drive was less of a headache then this POS!!! im even willing to give someone a damn prize if they tell me where to start. famicom disk anyone? xD

EDIT! i had an Epiphiny, its GOTTA be the ba6290a!!!!

gtsamour

Maybe it the BA6290A that drives the motor. There are two onboard, one that drives the motor and the other the laser. But don't know which one is for which...
I bought a couple from this guy http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BA6290A-Power-Driver-for-CD-Players/381930295245?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649

skyway1985

awesome thanks for the reply! What's the likely hood that the CXA1082 had a failure also? or is it almost always the ROHM chips? the cxa1082 must still be working since the sled is activating, laser is activating etc.

gtsamour

I hope it works for you. Just post if you managed to fix it and what was the problem. Every problem solved is a hand to someone else.

Well everything is possible but its probably the BA6290A , where did you touch the board? Was it near the BA6290A ?

Another guy had a system that wouldn't spin the disc and he solved it by replacing the BA6290A so... fingers crossed.

skyway1985

it was right near the son of a bitch! i think that it grounded out on the shielding of the bottom half of the case while i was pulling the board. IF ONLY I JUST SHUT THE DAMN THING OFF!!!! lol i turned the TV off and didn't even notice i left it on... o well you live and you learn!

skyway1985

SOOOOO IT WASNT THE DRIVER AMP! i replaced both anyway to no avail. i went and replaced the new laser with the old one adjusted the trim pot to spec since it was fiddled with before me. and SHE LIVES! when i grounded out the board it damaged the laser diode. the BA6290A is a tough piece! so i kept the old ones as spares. all in all its working beautifully with all grades of disc. from pressed to the crappiest CD-R. Thanks for the help!

gtsamour

Really? Did the laser light up or was it completely dead?

These lasers are weird things... I have a new one I installed recently, that will load and play cdr games perfectly, will play audio silver cds but will refuse to play one single audio cd that otherwise plays fine on all other PCE units I have. It was playing fine with the previous laser on the same unit though (all caps replaced), even identical units (cdrom2 with ifu30).

Adjusting the pots could not make it play... it refuses to go beyond track 4 and track 3 plays with sound distortions.
Lowering or increasing laser power slightly made no difference.

I just can't explain it.... it plays everything else I threw at it fine (also loading times are minimal)so I gave up trying....

skyway1985

i hear ya! the laser would still light up! just wasn't doing anything.

thesteve

gts it sounds like yours is getting stuck
clean rails, clean gears, wires not getting cought

gtsamour

Quote from: thesteve on 07/15/2017, 02:01 AMgts it sounds like yours is getting stuck
clean rails, clean gears, wires not getting cought
Everything is completely clean and well greased with boron nitrate grease (Tamiya) which is the best to my knowledge.

Wires couldn't be the problem, it reds everything else without a problem....

thesteve

Could be a bad sled motor

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

gtsamour

But how can this be.... wouldn't I be having problems with reading other cds? Just with this single one?
And also, it could read this particular cd with the previous laser (before I accidentally torn the ribbon and had to replace it).

thesteve

Oh, missed that
Laser defect or adjustment then are your only options

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

MobiusStripTech

I know I am not the only one that has seen the replacement lasers being DOA or going out shortly after replacement.