MultiTap/TurboTap protocol and/or schematic

Started by xantoz, 08/05/2017, 12:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

xantoz

Hi, lurker posting for the first time

I currently have a project making myself some wireless controllers for various retro consoles (yes, yet another one of those). Thus far I've gotten a PoC SNES sender (I just use the extant shift register in the controller, so it would be possible to just make a plug-in box to make un-modified controllers "wireless") and receiver working. In addition I intend to use a unified over-the-air protocol making controllers interchangeable between different consoles.

I'm currently looking to implement the receiver side for PCE, and as I would like the ability to support several controllers to one receiver at once (the nRF24L01 I am using natively supports 5 RX pipes, how convenient!), it would be nice to implement a native multitap in firmware at the receiver end. This way I do not need to have 5 plugs coming out of a box into a multitap into the PCE. I am trying to implement as much as possible in firmware, to keep the count of external components low.

However, while I have been able to find documentation and schematics on the PCE pads (including ones with turbo functionality and the 6-button pad) I have found none on the multitap.

If anybody has any clues it would be helpful. Right now my only idea is to hook up a logic analyzer to the multitap and observe it in action.

thesteve

Quote from: xantoz on 08/05/2017, 12:44 PMHi, lurker posting for the first time

I currently have a project making myself some wireless controllers for various retro consoles (yes, yet another one of those). Thus far I've gotten a PoC SNES sender (I just use the extant shift register in the controller, so it would be possible to just make a plug-in box to make un-modified controllers "wireless") and receiver working. In addition I intend to use a unified over-the-air protocol making controllers interchangeable between different consoles.

I'm currently looking to implement the receiver side for PCE, and as I would like the ability to support several controllers to one receiver at once (the nRF24L01 I am using natively supports 5 RX pipes, how convenient!), it would be nice to implement a native multitap in firmware at the receiver end. This way I do not need to have 5 plugs coming out of a box into a multitap into the PCE. I am trying to implement as much as possible in firmware, to keep the count of external components low.

However, while I have been able to find documentation and schematics on the PCE pads (including ones with turbo functionality and the 6-button pad) I have found none on the multitap.

If anybody has any clues it would be helpful. Right now my only idea is to hook up a logic analyzer to the multitap and observe it in action.
OK I recently actually did this
The pce has 2 outputs and 4 inputs on the port
On 1 controller the line simply enables the controller or swapped but in the tap one causes a counter to select the next controller, and the other resets the count
The counter needs to loop after last controller

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

xantoz

So the enable line is held low, and you switch controllers as the select line ticks, resetting as enable goes high? Similar to how the 6-button pad sends DPAD all pressed and III IV V VI every other enable pulse?

NecroPhile

I'm too dumb to help with any tech stuffs, so I'm just here to say welcome aboard and good luck with your project.  I like my wireless PCE pads, but I'd love a modern wireless controller (no line of sight shat).
Ultimate Forum Bully/Thief/Saboteur/Clone Warrior! BURN IN HELL NECROPHUCK!!!

thesteve

thesteve

/20989219_10207624584051414_1999850446767350690_o.jpg

that's the 2-port, but the 5 should be easy to extrapolate from it
note that those switch chips can't be stacked but i found some that can

ClodBusted

Schrödinger's switches can't be stacked and can.

By the way, I like this project.

thesteve

Quote from: guestSchrödinger's switches can't be stacked and can.
By the way, I like this project.
I drew this up when I started my cordless project