US Turbo Duo No Power

Started by DrOctagon, 08/21/2017, 07:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DrOctagon

Hello, first time poster and I'm in need of some help. My Turbo Duo will absolutely not turn on. It's been re-capped, cleaned, and rgb modded. It worked perfectly...until it didn't. I was in middle of a session turned it off to switch games and it wouldn't power back on afterwards. I took it apart, but nothing looked out of the ordinary (I have absolutely no electrical know how or experience btw). It's obvious that whatever is wrong is beyond my capabilities at this point. If anyone has any information or can point me towards a trustworthy repairperson I would be extremely grateful.

MNKyDeth

If you know who did the recap originally I would contact them.

Otherwise, on this forum I know there is Keith Courage, thesteve and several others.
I would offer myself but honestly I just don't have time like I used to. Using a volt meter I would check the power supply first then the 7805's inside the machine.

If all has power then it's just testing everything to see where it's getting dropped internally. Bad traces or anything is possible to not have a picture to be shown. Maybe the fuse etc...

SignOfZeta

I think this model has a fuse. If it's not that or the power supply I'd be very surprised.
IMG

DrOctagon

Yeah, that was my first thought was to contact the original modder. I combed through my old emails, but couldn't find their name. I must have deleted it at some point.

DrOctagon

Quote from: SignOfZeta on 08/21/2017, 08:22 PMI think this model has a fuse. If it's not that or the power supply I'd be very surprised.
Forgot to mention that I have a spare power supply that I tested and still nothing. Two failed power supplies seems unlikely, but as I said I'm no expert.

Keith Courage

Could be a number of things but yes there is the rare chance that the fuse in the power supply blew. I've repaired quite a few original power supplies by just replacing the blown fuse. I'd check that first.

If you don't have the modders email, do you maybe remember what state you mailed it to to get worked on before? If you know, we might be able to narrow it down. Could be myself or someone else from the forum here.

MNKyDeth

I go by retro_tduo on eBay and I had a site for a bit pcenuggets. Just for reference purposes.

DrOctagon

I can't find anything. I seem to remember Ebay, but nothing looked familiar when I checked my purchase history. I definitely don't recall what state I sent it to. Sorry.

thesteve

well i generally avoid ebay, as i want to keep in touch with the customers in case anything does go wrong or they have something else they want done

Keith Courage

This might sound silly but if you don't have a multi meter to test if your power supply works, you can test it by leaving it plugged into the wall for maybe 25 minutes or so and feel if it gets hot or not. If it's an original power supply it should get pretty warm. If it doesn't heat up then the AC adapter fuse is blown and will need to be replaced or get another power adapter.

SignOfZeta

I was referring to the fuse inside the Duo. I thought I remembered black Duos having them.
IMG

Keith Courage

Quote from: SignOfZeta on 08/22/2017, 02:12 AMI was referring to the fuse inside the Duo. I thought I remembered black Duos having them.
You are correct. They do have fuses in them. Sorry I sounded confusing. I'm just saying he should check the AC adapter first since that's easiest to check without a multi meter and then move on from there.

thesteve

just a note, the stock supply will get worm with a blown fuse as the fuse is on the output

Keith Courage

It does? I swore I had a few in the past that didn't get warm when the fuse was blown. I haven't had to fix an original ac adapter in a while so maybe I'm wrong about that then. My mistake.