OMG! ZIRIA! ZIRIA!! ZIRIA!!! IT ACTUALLY HAPPENED!! 34 YEARS LATER!! The epic/legendary Tengai Makyou/Far East of Eden: Ziria JRPG has finally been localized! Supper the Subtitler struck again! Simply unstoppable, NOTHING can prevent him from TOTAL PCECD localization domination!!!! WHACHA GONNA DO BROTHER?!?!
Main Menu

Low cost Flash Hucard

Started by gameofyou, 03/13/2012, 09:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

esadajr

I have a question, would it be possible to flash a Supergrafx game onto this card then just stick it into a Supergrafx system?
Gaming since 1985

NecroPhile

Quote from: esadajr on 08/20/2012, 12:22 PMI have a question, would it be possible to flash a Supergrafx game onto this card then just stick it into a Supergrafx system?
Yes.  There is no difference between regular HuCARDS and Super HuCARDs.
Ultimate Forum Bully/Thief/Saboteur/Clone Warrior! BURN IN HELL NECROPHUCK!!!

esadajr

Quote from: esadajr on 08/20/2012, 12:07 PMI've been unable to get any japanese game to work. I use the rom converter to remove the header, then flash my game checking the "swap bit" option. However I only get a white screen. The japanese games I've tried (with no luck) so far are Detana Twinbee, Coryoon and the japanese version of Splatterhouse.
I just tried flashing a PCE game without using the "check to swap data bits" option and it worked.
Gaming since 1985

gameofyou

Quote from: esadajr on 08/20/2012, 12:07 PMI've been unable to get any japanese game to work. I use the rom converter to remove the header, then flash my game checking the "swap bit" option. However I only get a white screen. The japanese games I've tried (with no luck) so far are Detana Twinbee, Coryoon and the japanese version of Splatterhouse.
This has been a source of confusion, but I believe the User Manual is now correct.  If your SYSTEM is Japanese, then you need to check the 'flip bits' box (for all games).  If your SYSTEM is USA, then you should not check the box (for any games).

I will be interested to see if the Supergrafx games work.  I don't know of anyone that's tried it yet.

Paisa49

Quote from: gameofyou on 08/20/2012, 09:02 PM
This has been a source of confusion, but I believe the User Manual is now correct.  If your SYSTEM is Japanese, then you need to check the 'flip bits' box (for all games).  If your SYSTEM is USA, then you should not check the box (for any games).

I will be interested to see if the Supergrafx games work.  I don't know of anyone that's tried it yet.
I've had no issues playing pc engine games on my turbografx-16. This flash card works great; thanks. By the way, when pulling it out of my tg-16, do you recommend grabbing a hold of the cart a certain way to minimize the risk of damage to the cart?

roflmao

Mine arrived in the mail today.  Thanks for the lightning fast turnaround.  Was it supposed to include a Driver CD?  The instructions I think imply that, but I was able to find the drivers and software on your website.  I was able to get a US rom working on my US duo, but not a PCE rom.  It might have been the rom though.  I'm going to tinker with it some more this evening.  Thanks again!

esadajr

Quote from: guest on 08/21/2012, 04:21 PMI was able to get a US rom working on my US duo, but not a PCE rom.  It might have been the rom though.  I'm going to tinker with it some more this evening.
It may be that you used the "swap bits" option. That's not required on an american system, regardless of game region. And of course don't forget to remove those headers.
Gaming since 1985

esadajr

Quote from: guest on 08/21/2012, 04:21 PMWas it supposed to include a Driver CD?
No, unless you specifically ask for it. That's what the author told me on an email. Smart move to protect the environment.
Gaming since 1985

esadajr

Quote from: guest on 08/21/2012, 04:21 PMThanks for the lightning fast turnaround.
I agree, fast shipping and great communication.

It is great to see great quality products like these being made in the US and at great price.

Thanks GOY !
Gaming since 1985

gameofyou

Thanks for the feedback.  I'm glad that most of you are up & running successfully with the cards.

Paisa49, I usually pull the card out by grabbing the USB connector from the top & bottom.

roflmao

Update: I've been able to successfully play anything I've thrown at it, region free.  Has anyone tried running the System 1.0 card on this?  I wonder if I can make it past the first level of Altered Beast...  I'll test that out later tonight. :)

UPDATE:  Successfully beat level one of Altered Beast using the System 1.0 rom on this card!  :dance:

Paisa49

Quote from: gameofyou on 08/21/2012, 09:46 PMPaisa49, I usually pull the card out by grabbing the USB connector from the top & bottom.
Great, thanks again.

Bloody Wolf

Dang low cost flash card!!! Now this is something i need!!!!

gameofyou

Quote from: Bloody Wolf on 09/06/2012, 01:05 AMDang low cost flash card!!! Now this is something i need!!!!
Darn straight!  Buy a couple.  :)

gameofyou

I know most people thought this would never happen, lol, but I have finally updated the Downloader software.  I have caught up with hardware assembly, so I decided to add the ROM Conversion functionality into my software.  It is basically the same functionality as ConHuevos' stand-alone application.  But now it is integrated into the Downloader software.  This is nice because only a single application needs to be run now, to do everything.  Also, for newcomers, only one software install is required now.

You can download the software from the main page:
http://www.gamingenterprisesinc.com/Flash_HuCard/

And there is a brief overview of it on the Rom Tips page:
http://www.gamingenterprisesinc.com/Flash_HuCard/rom_tips.html

Paisa49

esteban

Quote from: gameofyou on 09/22/2012, 01:58 PMI know most people thought this would never happen, lol, but I have finally updated the Downloader software.  I have caught up with hardware assembly, so I decided to add the ROM Conversion functionality into my software.  It is basically the same functionality as ConHuevos' stand-alone application.  But now it is integrated into the Downloader software.  This is nice because only a single application needs to be run now, to do everything.  Also, for newcomers, only one software install is required now.

You can download the software from the main page:
http://www.gamingenterprisesinc.com/Flash_HuCard/

And there is a brief overview of it on the Rom Tips page:
http://www.gamingenterprisesinc.com/Flash_HuCard/rom_tips.html
Yay!

We never lost faith, comrade :pcgs:.
IMGIMG IMG  |  IMG  |  IMG IMG

ConHuevos

I'm having issues with mine not erasing the flash when writing a new rom again.  In fact, it was never really fixed after you sent it back.  Any ideas what to do? =/

burn_654

Glad to see an update of the software! This card has been great, run everything I've thrown at it! :)

People need to get on more hucard translations (myself included :P), this is a great way to play them.
Quote from: RegalSinYou know for that r-tard who goes like "oh something retro, let me put down my vabagelina, stop drinking my cheeze wine, and get to playing".

gameofyou

Quote from: ConHuevos on 10/19/2012, 07:52 AMI'm having issues with mine not erasing the flash when writing a new rom again.  In fact, it was never really fixed after you sent it back.  Any ideas what to do? =/
I can replace it with a new one, if you want to send it back to me.

ConHuevos

Sure, please pm your info.  I received it back from you and it worked for about 2 days then it went back to not erasing.  I felt like playing neutopia today and tried to use it and it was not erasing again =/.

thesteve

mine has been flawless since my jumper repair

ConHuevos

You mentioned D5 or something like that, I don't see anything labeled D5 steve.

dshadoff

Wow, this looks fantastic - I just ordered one for myself.

I have a question about the addressability of the flash memory from within a program...

Years ago, I had used Jerry DaSilva's TurboROM board in conjunction with AMD 29F040B DIP flash memory.
At the time, I had written a flash version of the "Ten no Koe" bank card, to copy the backup memory contents into the flash memory itself for longer-term archiving.

It worked fine, on a TurboGrafx-16, but it didn't work so well on the TurboDuo - I concluded that it was because of the power available from the cartridge bus being sufficient to read the flash, but insufficient to write into it.  (Those boards didn't do download, thus the only power draw was the flash chip itself, which must have required a lot of juice.)

Since your version uses a TSOP chip (probably a more recent shrink), and there was a comment about lower current drain, I was curious as to whether this approach may work for your board.

So, I have a couple of questions:
1) Do you inhibit /WR from the PC Engine bus to the flash memory ?  (ie. this would prevent it from being writable while in-circuit)
2) Roughly what vintage are the flash chips - 0.5um ?  0.35um ?  (Not sure if they made this easy to determine).  5V-native chips are probably pretty old... also wondering the rated rewrite cycles ?  I believe they were insanely huge numbers back then.
3) Is it possible to read from the flash memory via the USB ?  If so, does your software already do this ?

thesteve

D5 is a data line as stated on the flash chip datasheet

gameofyou

Quote from: dshadoff on 10/21/2012, 12:52 PMWow, this looks fantastic - I just ordered one for myself.

I have a question about the addressability of the flash memory from within a program...

Years ago, I had used Jerry DaSilva's TurboROM board in conjunction with AMD 29F040B DIP flash memory.
At the time, I had written a flash version of the "Ten no Koe" bank card, to copy the backup memory contents into the flash memory itself for longer-term archiving.

It worked fine, on a TurboGrafx-16, but it didn't work so well on the TurboDuo - I concluded that it was because of the power available from the cartridge bus being sufficient to read the flash, but insufficient to write into it.  (Those boards didn't do download, thus the only power draw was the flash chip itself, which must have required a lot of juice.)

Since your version uses a TSOP chip (probably a more recent shrink), and there was a comment about lower current drain, I was curious as to whether this approach may work for your board.

So, I have a couple of questions:
1) Do you inhibit /WR from the PC Engine bus to the flash memory ?  (ie. this would prevent it from being writable while in-circuit)
2) Roughly what vintage are the flash chips - 0.5um ?  0.35um ?  (Not sure if they made this easy to determine).  5V-native chips are probably pretty old... also wondering the rated rewrite cycles ?  I believe they were insanely huge numbers back then.
3) Is it possible to read from the flash memory via the USB ?  If so, does your software already do this ?
This information is in the first page of posts, but I'll repost it here:

I am using a MX29F800C flash chip (cheap & available at Digikey).  You can see the datasheet here:
http://www.gamingenterprisesinc.com/temp/MX29F800C.pdf

And here is the circuit schematic for the HuCard/Flash interface:
http://www.gamingenterprisesinc.com/temp/HuCard_Schematic_V01.pdf

The connection between the edge connector and flash chip for the /WR is present (as you can see in the interface schematic).  The datasheet will tell you everything you want to know about the flash chip that is used.  I did not add any capability into the software to read data out over usb.

ConHuevos

Received my replacement, works great!  Thank you very much for your great service!

T2KFreeker

Hmm, I think I know what I am getting myself on the first. This is frickin' cool man. Hopefully you still have some available by then.
END OF LINE.

gameofyou

Quote from: ConHuevos on 10/26/2012, 01:24 PMReceived my replacement, works great!  Thank you very much for your great service!
Good to hear!  Also, I have received your non-working card, & will take a look at it when I get a chance.  Since I had already reflowed the solder, my guess is that it is a problem with the pcb itself.

gameofyou

Quote from: T2KFreeker on 10/26/2012, 06:53 PMHmm, I think I know what I am getting myself on the first. This is frickin' cool man. Hopefully you still have some available by then.
My plan is to keep these in stock for a very long time.  The orders have slowed down enough, that I should be able to keep up with assembling them for the foreseeable future.

vxbinaca

Quote from: gameofyou on 10/27/2012, 05:40 PM
Quote from: T2KFreeker on 10/26/2012, 06:53 PMHmm, I think I know what I am getting myself on the first. This is frickin' cool man. Hopefully you still have some available by then.
My plan is to keep these in stock for a very long time.  The orders have slowed down enough, that I should be able to keep up with assembling them for the foreseeable future.
Watch those orders pick up in December, I know I'll be getting one around then. ASAP really.

tggodfrey

Ordered one.  Thank you so much for doing this.
Games currently in play:
PS3: COD Ghosts
TG16: Boxyboy

psychobear

So how are these things holding up

roflmao

I got one early on and when it first arrived I used it a bunch.  But after a little while the wow factor wore off and I really don't use it very often anymore.  I've never had any problems with it, though.  It is a very slight bit thicker than a standard HuCard and maybe I don't use it as often as I might if that didn't worry me just a little bit about wearing out the connector inside my consoles.  Overall, I'm very happy with it and feel it was money well spent.

It does only hold one game at a time, so when a game goes on, it tends to stay on for awhile.  It's not meant for ripping through the entire library in an afternoon.

psychobear

Quote from: guest on 01/15/2013, 11:17 PMI got one early on and when it first arrived I used it a bunch.  But after a little while the wow factor wore off and I really don't use it very often anymore.  I've never had any problems with it, though.  It is a very slight bit thicker than a standard HuCard and maybe I don't use it as often as I might if that didn't worry me just a little bit about wearing out the connector inside my consoles.  Overall, I'm very happy with it and feel it was money well spent.

It does only hold one game at a time, so when a game goes on, it tends to stay on for awhile.  It's not meant for ripping through the entire library in an afternoon.
Thanks for the input, I picked one up just to try other games out, I came to the conclusion that I almost got every game I wanted as a kid and I wanted to try other games so I won't miss out, I figured the price was better then the other one that was made with the sd card, I see no point in the other one since in reality you only play one game at a time.

thesteve

another note
this card does not suffer from the compatibility issues the neo does

tpivette

Are these cards still in stock? If not, what's the turnaround time if ordered?

Seriously thinking about picking one of these up
Original owner of a TG-16 since 1989!

CURRENTLY PLAYING:
Vita - Conception 2
PS3 - Tales of Graces f
Wii U - Monster Hunter 3 Ulltimate

tggodfrey

Games currently in play:

tpivette

I was on the website last night, but I dont remember it stating if he had any pre-made and ready to ship.

Oh well, doesn't really matter anyway. I'm ordering one regardless

CURRENTLY PLAYING:
Vita - Conception 2
PS3 - Tales of Graces f

tggodfrey

Oh I understand.  I just ordered mine a couple months back and it was #74 if that helps at all.

Terry
Games currently in play:

esadajr

I haven't used it in a while. It fits better on my TG16 than on my DuoR. I love this card, it gets the job done, it works under Win 7 x64. The price is unbeatable.
Gaming since 1985

Keith Courage

Yeah, I just got one of these cards and it works great. The software for it is great and very easy to use. I can also verify that it works without any problems on a region modded system that uses a region chip. Oh, and this was very helpful http://www.gamingenterprisesinc.com/Flash_HuCard/rom_tips.html

tpivette

I just recieved mine the other day. Very easy to set up and download a game. Works great, and can't beat the price!

I'd like to add that this product fits into a standard HuCard sleeve (the mini-USB drive just fits), and it's able to fit into a case with manual no problems or bulging/space issues.

CURRENTLY PLAYING:
Vita - Conception 2
PS3 - Tales of Graces f

gameofyou

Good to hear!

I am going to take a short break from building these, but in a month or so, I will build another batch and re-open orders.

Quote from: tpivette on 02/12/2013, 03:31 PMI just recieved mine the other day. Very easy to set up and download a game. Works great, and can't beat the price!

I'd like to add that this product fits into a standard HuCard sleeve (the mini-USB drive just fits), and it's able to fit into a case with manual no problems or bulging/space issues.

gameofyou

This is a shameless bump, to say that I have finally had time to make another batch of cards.   :o

SeymorOnion

Not sure if this has been asked before, but can this card send commands to the CD Drive, instructing it to play back Redbook Audio, during gameplay, assuming all of the Game Data is in the Card, not the CD.

esadajr

Hi, I'm having an issue. If I try to load a different game, the software won't erase the flash card, it will just skip to the loading phase, you can see the progress, the card led is flashing, and the software will say everything went fine. However in reality is not doing anything.

It is stuck with Magical Chase (J). The MC curse maybe.
Gaming since 1985

gameofyou

Quote from: esadajr on 05/07/2013, 11:05 PMHi, I'm having an issue. If I try to load a different game, the software won't erase the flash card, it will just skip to the loading phase, you can see the progress, the card led is flashing, and the software will say everything went fine. However in reality is not doing anything.

This can happen if a solder connection has opened on any of the micro controller or flash memory pins (or there is a short across two pins).  Usually, it just takes re-flowing the solder on all the IC pins.  I can do this for you.

T2KFreeker

Quote from: gameofyou on 05/08/2013, 08:12 PM
Quote from: esadajr on 05/07/2013, 11:05 PMHi, I'm having an issue. If I try to load a different game, the software won't erase the flash card, it will just skip to the loading phase, you can see the progress, the card led is flashing, and the software will say everything went fine. However in reality is not doing anything.

This can happen if a solder connection has opened on any of the micro controller or flash memory pins (or there is a short across two pins).  Usually, it just takes re-flowing the solder on all the IC pins.  I can do this for you.
This guy rocks. I have one of the cards. Just got it for my Birthday. Had some issues and he walked me through every step of the way. Nice indeed.
END OF LINE.

pckid

Hello,

i want to understand , why it's difficult to get a 16mbit ?
It's possible to get same 32 mbit ?
=============================
PC Kid Reborn, and presto!!!
=============================