Spriggan Mark 2 - Translation Discussion Thread

Started by Arjak, 04/13/2014, 02:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Arjak

In case you missed it in the Legend of Xanadu 2 translation thread, Bonknuts (known here as Bonknuts) has been working on an English Translation of Spriggan Mark 2. He recently put this video up on Youtube:
I felt it was time this project received its own thread, especially since it seems a lot of progress is being made on this. Keep up the good work, Bonknuts! :D
He who dings the Gunhed must PAAAAY!!! -Ninja Spirit

NightWolve

Ah, so it is still being worked on. I thought it fell by the wayside.

TurboXray

It was never dead; only sleeping. I've had three translators on this project, since the beginning. SamIam took over and redid everything. He's pretty busy, but is taking the time to finalize the script/etc. I had to add a few last minute things to the string read routine and print routine as well.

Next phase is the dubbing phase.

I actually wanted to get the rights to the game, for the US region, to distribute the translation/dub. The game got released in Japan on Wii Virtual console, so some company is 'active' with the rights to the game. Even if there's no money to be made, it would be awesome to have an official release. One can dream ;)

Tatsujin

great game. would be also fun to have a non dialogue version as well. 100% shewty from start to end.
www.pcedaisakusen.net - home of your individual PC Engine collection!!
PCE Games countdown: 690/737 (47 to go or 93.6% clear)
PCE Shmups countdown: 111/111 (all clear!!)
Sega does what Nintendon't, but only NEC does better than both together!^^
<Senshi> Tat's i'm going to contact the people of Hard Off and open a store stateside..

TurboXray

It's already in the options. Turn off voice/letter. It'll skip the cinemas as well as the in game dialog/text/whatever; pure shewty mode.

Tatsujin

ah lol you're such right. how could I forget about that. I had only in mind, that it switches off the interrupted dialouges. it's been too long I fired that one up. time to start over again!!
www.pcedaisakusen.net - home of your individual PC Engine collection!!
PCE Games countdown: 690/737 (47 to go or 93.6% clear)
PCE Shmups countdown: 111/111 (all clear!!)
Sega does what Nintendon't, but only NEC does better than both together!^^
<Senshi> Tat's i'm going to contact the people of Hard Off and open a store stateside..

deubeul

Great news!

Would the japanese voices still be available in case of english dubbing (in case there's enough space)? Or is it all or nothing?

TurboXray

Yes. The text translation will come out first, then the dub later on. I'm timing/syncing the text with the in-game voice audio for that very reason. But I'm not subtitling the cinemas, on the system side. Subtitling the cinemas (in game code) would be a fairly advance project, and I rather put that time and energy into the dub.

Senshi

Quote from: TurboXray on 04/13/2014, 09:30 PMI actually wanted to get the rights to the game, for the US region, to distribute the translation/dub. The game got released in Japan on Wii Virtual console, so some company is 'active' with the rights to the game. Even if there's no money to be made, it would be awesome to have an official release. One can dream ;)
How much does the rights to something like that usually cost?
PSN: Dynastic_Hero
Steam: Dynastic_Hero

TurboXray

I'm really not sure. It's something we're looking into. If I would hazard a guess, I'd say anywhere from $3k to $25K, up front. If the number is low enough, I might be able to handle that with pre-orders.

Arjak

If you can get the rights, would we be talking about an official English release on Super CD? Or would this be only for digital download services? I would absolutely buy an official Super CD copy in English.
He who dings the Gunhed must PAAAAY!!! -Ninja Spirit

TurboXray

Keranu

A dream of mine is to see all of those announced import games that never made it here to be fan translated and pressed onto real CDs, complete with authentic back-in-the-day style packaging. We're making great progress thus far as a community -- that's real fan devotion!
Quote from: TurboXray on 01/02/2014, 09:21 PMAdding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).
IMG
Click the banner to learn more about Alex Chiu and his "immortality rings"

Psycho Punch

I'd preorder 5 if it were to be an official release.

One thing to note is that they might be against releasing it for the TURBOGRAFX. Of course if it were for an old Nintendo platform it would have a 0% chance of success to try to obtain the license from the Spriggan IP holders (because it would hurt their relations with Nintendo BADLY to release an unlicensed game in their platform even if it is their 1st, 1980's one)... but what about Konami? Will they even care about it? Probably not but who knows.
This Toxic Turbo Troll & Clone Warrior calls himself "Burning Fight!!" on Neo-Geo.com
For a good time, reach out to: aleffrenan94@gmail.com or punchballmariobros@gmail.com
Like DildoKobold, dildos are provided free of charge, no need to bring your own! :lol:
He also ran scripts to steal/clone this forum which blew up the error logs!
I had to delete THOUSANDS of error log entries cause of this nutcase!
how_to_spell_ys_sign_origin_ver.webp

NightWolve

Quote from: guest on 04/25/2014, 05:58 PMI'd preorder 5 if it were to be an official release.

One thing to note is that they might be against releasing it for the TURBOGRAFX. Of course if it were for an old Nintendo platform it would have a 0% chance of success to try to obtain the license from the Spriggan IP holders (because it would hurt their relations with Nintendo BADLY to release an unlicensed game in their platform even if it is their 1st, 1980's one)... but what about Konami? Will they even care about it? Probably not but who knows.
Yeah, you bring up a point, technically, you also have to get a license from the console manufacturer, NEC, (as well as the Spriggan IP holder) if you wanna do things by the book. But, I think that technicality would easily be overlooked if at least the main company that actually developed the game gave you a greenlight. Personally, I'm not much of a stickler and I wouldn't care if he did it without a license from anyone, but that's me.

esteban

Quote from: Keranu on 04/23/2014, 12:40 AMA dream of mine is to see all of those announced import games that never made it here to be fan translated and pressed onto real CDs, complete with authentic back-in-the-day style packaging. We're making great progress thus far as a community -- that's real fan devotion!
Power Golf 2! Woohoo! :pcgs:

Just kidding. I don't know if I could get into that game (I never really gave it a chance, but still...)

IMG
IMGIMG IMG  |  IMG  |  IMG IMG

Medic_wheat

Quote from: TurboXray on 04/22/2014, 12:18 AMI'm really not sure. It's something we're looking into. If I would hazard a guess, I'd say anywhere from $3k to $25K, up front. If the number is low enough, I might be able to handle that with pre-orders.
What about a kickstarter?

Supporters could also act as pre orders if successfully funded

Bardoly

Thanks for reminding me about this project.

So, Bonknuts, any update on this project?

TurboXray

Quote from: Bardoly on 06/01/2014, 09:59 PMThanks for reminding me about this project.

So, Bonknuts, any update on this project?
Things have come to a crawl at the moment. Lost my place; everything's in storage (last minute thing). I have a laptop to do some PCE dev stuff on, but SM2 stuffs aren't accessible right now (I spend the summers out of town; work). And when I get back in town (and find a place), classes start in late August, and so when things settle down - I'll be going over what Sam posted/changed. I had a close friend handling the dub, and that fell through (ass hat!). So no dub, just text translation for now.

NightWolve

Yeah, going by what I saw on your FB post, I say totally forget about this and other hobby projects, worry about getting a new apartment, and your new job (guess you found one), etc. Sucks how you felt you had to toss most of your childhood stuff and so forth. Maybe liberating, but to have it forced on you and in a hurry because of job/apt. loss and other events is not the greatest way to come to such a point... Hope things go better for ya!

TurboXray

esteban

Quote from: TurboXray on 07/15/2014, 06:26 PMMeh, just life stuff.
Well, without knowing all the details, it's good to hear from you and I hope life doesn't throw too many more curveballs.  :pcgs:
IMGIMG IMG  |  IMG  |  IMG IMG