@GTV reviews the Cosmic Fantasy 1-2 Switch collection by Edia, provides examples of the poor English editing/localization work. It's much worse for CF1. Rated "D" for disappointment, finding that TurboGrafx CF2 is better & while CF1's the real draw, Edia screwed it up...
Main Menu

What games should I get?

Started by Arjak, 07/09/2007, 04:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Arjak

I just recently bought Magic Engine (because ebay prices for actual systems are insane) and I was wondering what CD games I should get. I currently have the following on my want list:

Lords of Thunder (ordered and waiting for arrival)
Ys series
Gate of Thunder
Dragon Slayer: The Legend of Heroes
Implode
Meteor Blaster DX

Please make suggestions on other games I should look into; and feel free to praise or criticize any of the games listed. I don't want to get a bad game by accident!
He who dings the Gunhed must PAAAAY!!! -Ninja Spirit

_Paul

Schbibin Man 3
Dracula X
Star Parodia
Wonder Boy : Monster Lair
Dungeon Explorer II
Spriggan

to name but a few...

nat

I already posted this on MagicEngine.com, but get Sapphire. :)

Quote from: Arjak on 07/09/2007, 04:02 PMPlease make suggestions on other games I should look into; and feel free to praise or criticize any of the games listed. I don't want to get a bad game by accident!
Implode fucking rules. I put off buying it for a long time because in all honesty, I thought it looked so-so. I can't say much for the "bonus" games included (more like demos), but Implode itself is serious fun. Whenever I put it in I can't stop playing. Things start moving at a maniacal pace around level 9 or so. The music is sweet, too.

And of course I don't need to say anything about Ys, Lords, and Gate of Thunder. Those are a given.

Turbo D

You already picked out the greatest cd games, so I guess I can only suggest cotton. But on the other hand, that Cotton really pisses me off  :x :P
Quote from: MissaFX on 01/06/2008, 12:10 PMMy idea of gaming is a couple of friends over, a couple of drinks, a couple of medical-handrolled-game-enhancing-cigs and a glowing box you all worship.
IMG IMG
IMG

guyjin

magic engine is a scam. There are better emulators, and they're free.

I'm sorry you wasted money on it.  #-o

Turbo D

magic engine is pretty easy to use, but it does perform sloppy and sometimes slow. Also, it can be free  :wink:
Quote from: MissaFX on 01/06/2008, 12:10 PMMy idea of gaming is a couple of friends over, a couple of drinks, a couple of medical-handrolled-game-enhancing-cigs and a glowing box you all worship.
IMG IMG
IMG

Tatsujin

here some more

Nexzr
Sapphire
Faussete Amour
Forgotten Worlds
Gradius II: Gofer no Yabou
Horror Story
Image Fight II
Kaze Kiri
Metamor Jupiter
R-TYPE Complete CD
Rayxanber II
Rayxanber III 
Spriggan Mark 2: Re Terraform Project 
Sylphia
Super Raiden
Rainbow Islands
www.pcedaisakusen.net - home of your individual PC Engine collection!!
PCE Games countdown: 690/737 (47 to go or 93.6% clear)
PCE Shmups countdown: 111/111 (all clear!!)
Sega does what Nintendon't, but only NEC does better than both together!^^
<Senshi> Tat's i'm going to contact the people of Hard Off and open a store stateside..

OldRover

Magic Engine isn't a scam, it's the only "professional" grade PCE emulator there is. Every other one lacks in one way or another.

Mednafen is by far the most accurate, but configuring it is a bitch, and it doesn't start up centered. It also lacks a few niceties that Magic Engine has.
Hu-Go! requires a massive runtime to be installed and configured first. Also, its colors are usually wrong.
YAME has a lot of broken dialogs.
Ootake has incorrect emulation and is rather buggy overall.
hu6280 is abandoned and lacks accuracy anyways.
tgemu works decently but severely lacks the "professional touch".

Any other PCE emulator isn't even worth listing here. Right now though, the real battle for the crown is between Magic Engine and Mednafen. If Mednafen had a proper frontend and added some of the cool features that Magic Engine has (such as slowmo/speedup), it would be the clear-cut winner.
Turbo Badass Rank: Janne (6 of 12 clears)
Conquered so far: Sinistron, Violent Soldier, Tatsujin, Super Raiden, Shape Shifter, Rayxanber II

Arjak

I've only seen these games on TZD, but they look interesting. What is your opinion on:

J.B. Harold Murder Club
Shape Shifter

And yeah, I tried a couple other emulators before going to Magic Engine, I too thought it was a big scam, but now I realize that it was the only realistic choice if I wanted to play Turbo games. The other emulators I tried didn't measure up, and ordering a Turbo Duo off of ebay is an even bigger scam than Magic Engine!

nat

Quote from: Arjak on 07/09/2007, 10:31 PMThe other emulators I tried didn't measure up, and ordering a Turbo Duo off of ebay is an even bigger scam than Magic Engine!
Truthfully, there is no substitute for the real hardware.

Find yourself a Japanese Duo or "briefcase" console. These are ridiculously less expensive than a US TurboDuo.

Without a real console you're missing out on so much of the gaming experience.

Quote from: Arjak on 07/09/2007, 10:31 PMShape Shifter
Fucking awesome. I haven't had a chance to play through the entire game yet, but it appears incredibly big, and has an interesting premise. Not to mention nice graphics. Beating bosses gives you the ability to morph into different creatures.

OldRover

Shape Shifter has a lot of nice features in it (faked multiple parallax, ADPCM streaming, etc) but it seems they forgot to concentrate enough effort on what really matters in a game...proper gameplay. That aspect of the game was clearly tacked on as an afterthought. If you can get used to the VERY erratic and mostly broken controls, you might have fun with it.
Conquered so far: Sinistron, Violent Soldier, Tatsujin, Super Raiden, Shape Shifter, Rayxanber II

Keranu

The main gameplay flaw I found in Shape Shifter is when you're on the ledge of a platform and your character (especially the panther) will fall off if you wait there for a second. However this flaw actually makes the game fun for me as it feels great once you get used to this weird design :) .
Quote from: TurboXray on 01/02/2014, 09:21 PMAdding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).
IMG
Click the banner to learn more about Alex Chiu and his "immortality rings"

Bake

I think a lot of turbo fans dislike Shapeshifter because it is difficult, and it takes awhile to master the levels so you don't die often (I think you can only die 9 times; after that, game over).  However, I still recommend that you purchase the game.  I liked it even though the gameplay is at times tricky (that panther!).  I even beat the game, but because it was so difficult I don't think there is a lot of replay value in it (Maybe, I'll try to beat it again someday).  So, I would start with Ys book I and II, Gate and Lords of Thunder.  Then, get Shapeshifter and whatever else you think looks fun.

runinruder

Shape Shifter and JB Harold are both excellent.

Shape Shifter is tough at first.  You need to put in some practice to master the controls and familiarize yourself with the level layouts.  Once you reach a point of proficiency, the game feels great to play.  Completing it is a rewarding experience (even moreso when you can do it with one life).  And everything else, from the parallax to the soundtrack to the big bosses, rules from the get-go.  I've played through it lots of times.  But if you're not willing to put in some practice time, or you're simply not a good player, then don't bother with it.
Wayback - thebrothersduomazov.com - Reviews of over 400 TurboGrafx-16/PC-Engine games

TurboXray

Quote from: runinruder on 07/10/2007, 06:57 PMShape Shifter and JB Harold are both excellent.

Shape Shifter is tough at first.  You need to put in some practice to master the controls and familiarize yourself with the level layouts.  Once you reach a point of proficiency, the game feels great to play.  Completing it is a rewarding experience (even moreso when you can do it with one life).  And everything else, from the parallax to the soundtrack to the big bosses, rules from the get-go.  I've played through it lots of times.  But if you're not willing to put in some practice time, or you're simply not a good player, then don't bother with it. 
Or you don't care for games with sub par play controls :wink:

There are plenty of challenging games with good-to-great play control. Shapeshifter is not one of them.

The game seems polished in all other areas though. The graphics are great and really beautiful at times and the effects are nice. The sounds effects are up to snuff and the music is really cool. If your a PCE/DUO lover, then you'll probably forgive the controls. But if this game were on another system, I'm sure it wouldn't fare so well from its fans.

Ys and Dragon Slayer on your list, that'll keep you happy and busy for a while. I'd go for CF2, DE2, and Ys 3 (maybe - if you can handle the scrolling . After a little while I don't even notice it anymore).

OldRover

What Shape Shifter fans don't seem to grasp is the true concept of challenge. There's a major difference between a game being challenging due to clever level design and being challenging due to a sloppily-coded control scheme. If a game is going to be hard, it needs to be hard on its own merits, not hard because it's difficult to control. Shape Shifter is hard because it's difficult to control (and full of cheap-ass hits too, which makes it even worse). Factor in some rather poor coldet with weaponry (such as thrown weapons never hitting enemies on the way back...wtf? even Camp California got THIS right) and it barely gets by with a 4 out of 10. If you have to practice getting used to a sloppy control scheme, then that's not right. And I can honestly say that as both a game player and a game developer.

runinruder

Quote from: Nödtveidt on 07/10/2007, 08:22 PMWhat Shape Shifter fans don't seem to grasp is the true concept of challenge. There's a major difference between a game being challenging due to clever level design and being challenging due to a sloppily-coded control scheme. If a game is going to be hard, it needs to be hard on its own merits, not hard because it's difficult to control. Shape Shifter is hard because it's difficult to control (and full of cheap-ass hits too, which makes it even worse). Factor in some rather poor coldet with weaponry (such as thrown weapons never hitting enemies on the way back...wtf? even Camp California got THIS right) and it barely gets by with a 4 out of 10. If you have to practice getting used to a sloppy control scheme, then that's not right. And I can honestly say that as both a game player and a game developer.
Let me break it down for you this way, chief.  If you want to be good at a sport, and you suck at it at first, it's probably not because the equipment you're using is faulty.  If you want to be a writer, and your material sucks at first, it's probably not because there's something wrong with the pencil you're using.  If you want to be a musician, and your first few compositions suck, it probably isn't because your instruments are broken.

Shape Shifter requires practice, but not because its controls suck, as they don't.  The controls feel great when you put in a little time and get good at the game.  Contrast this with games like Night Creatures and Fighting Street.  You can overcome the bad controls in those games and do well in them, but the controls themselves never feel good.  That's not the case in Shape Shifter--well, at least if you're any good at it.
Wayback - thebrothersduomazov.com - Reviews of over 400 TurboGrafx-16/PC-Engine games

guyjin

Just because you eventually get used to a hammer with a crooked handle doesn't mean it's a good hammer.

runinruder

Quote from: guyjin on 07/10/2007, 08:37 PMJust because you eventually get used to a hammer with a crooked handle doesn't mean it's a good hammer.
Which is exactly why I brought up Night Creatures and Fighting Street.  Glad you agree with me!

GUTS

Anyone who thinks Shape Shifter is difficult to control is a beginner level gamer.  That game is challenging, not cheap, I beat it when I was a punk kid and I couldn't even beat easy stuff like Mega Man 2.  What you beginners need is to go beat some easy games like Bonk's Revenge and Vigilante to get some achievements under your stretched out belts, then come back to Shape Shifter.

CrackTiger

Shape Shifter's design isn't perfect. But the kinds of cheap shots it has can be found in other (hit) franchises like Castlevania.

Whats important is that its a fun and rewarding game if you stick with it and make it all the way through.

I believe it should have a few improvements, like unlimited continues. But I think that almost all games are flawed(not fully perfect).

Still, not every game is for everyone and I don't blame anyone for not hanging in there with Shape Shifter if they aren't having enough fun soon enough.

Like many questy retro games, its not casual play friendly.

Quote from: GUTS on 07/10/2007, 08:43 PMAnyone who thinks Shape Shifter is difficult to control is a beginner level gamer.  That game is challenging, not cheap, I beat it when I was a punk kid and I couldn't even beat easy stuff like Mega Man 2.  What you beginners need is to go beat some easy games like Bonk's Revenge and Vigilante to get some achievements under your stretched out belts, then come back to Shape Shifter.
I believe that part of the problem is that it doesn't use a traditional jumping(or attacking) style. Its easier to dive into a game that plays just like Mario or something familiar.

Quote from: TurboXray on 07/10/2007, 07:43 PMOr you don't care for games with sub par play controls :wink:

There are plenty of challenging games with good-to-great play control. Shapeshifter is not one of them.

The game seems polished in all other areas though. The graphics are great and really beautiful at times and the effects are nice. The sounds effects are up to snuff and the music is really cool. If your a PCE/DUO lover, then you'll probably forgive the controls. But if this game were on another system, I'm sure it wouldn't fare so well from its fans.

Ys and Dragon Slayer on your list, that'll keep you happy and busy for a while. I'd go for CF2, DE2, and Ys 3 (maybe - if you can handle the scrolling . After a little while I don't even notice it anymore).
I think that CF2 would fare a lot poorer on other consoles than Shape Shifter.  :wink:
Justin the Not-So-Cheery Black/Hack/CrackTiger helped Joshua Jackass, Andrew/Arkhan Dildovich and the DildoPhiles destroy 2 PC Engine groups: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook, then the other by Aaron Nanto!!! Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together! Both times he blamed the Aarons and their staff in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged/destructive/doxxing toxic turbo troll gang which he covers up for under the "community" euphemism!

runinruder

Quote from: guest on 07/10/2007, 08:44 PMI believe it should have a few improvements, like unlimited continues. But I think that almost all games are flawed(not fully perfect).
I would've liked to have seen it take a cue from the "return" doors in Dragon's Curse that let you get right back to town (and the save spot) when you had just accomplished a task ways away.

Arjak

Wow, I didn't know that Shape Shifter was such a controversial game! :lol:

Oh well, I suppose I'll try it anyway, sooner or later.

So, about that J.B. Harold guy... :wink:

OldRover

I'm not usually one to reverse engineer a game (have only done shooters thus far) but I did want to see why the hell Shape Shifter was so wanked up, so I tore it apart. I've never seen such blatantly wrong timing issues under the hood, or such a fucked up excuse for an FSM. I would rewrite the control scheme if I could but it's so far gone that it would require at least 20% of the entire game engine to be rewritten from scratch. That's the real dirt...chiefs. And you can go on with your middle-school mentality of "oh you sucky players" and cling to your ridiculous "it roxxed when I was a kid!" garbage, it doesn't change the fact that it is a fundamentally broken game inside...and now I've seen why with my own eyes and my own disassembler. I'm so glad I wasn't such a god damned amateur when I started coding a platformer for the PCE, or it'd end up with these ridiculously bad issues. Whoever coded the movement controls for Shape Shifter needs to have his balls rammed down his throat for making such rookie mistakes, and shame on quality control and the testers for letting such issues slip through the cracks (oh wait, that was common back then, wasn't it).

Bad controls = bad game, plain and simple. All the flash and cheese doesn't help its case if the game is fundamentally broken. And it is. Deal with it.

Arjak

Quote from: Nödtveidt on 07/10/2007, 10:11 PMI'm not usually one to reverse engineer a game (have only done shooters thus far) but I did want to see why the hell Shape Shifter was so wanked up, so I tore it apart. I've never seen such blatantly wrong timing issues under the hood, or such a fucked up excuse for an FSM. I would rewrite the control scheme if I could but it's so far gone that it would require at least 20% of the entire game engine to be rewritten from scratch. That's the real dirt...chiefs. And you can go on with your middle-school mentality of "oh you sucky players" and cling to your ridiculous "it roxxed when I was a kid!" garbage, it doesn't change the fact that it is a fundamentally broken game inside...and now I've seen why with my own eyes and my own disassembler. I'm so glad I wasn't such a god damned amateur when I started coding a platformer for the PCE, or it'd end up with these ridiculously bad issues. Whoever coded the movement controls for Shape Shifter needs to have his balls rammed down his throat for making such rookie mistakes, and shame on quality control and the testers for letting such issues slip through the cracks (oh wait, that was common back then, wasn't it).

Bad controls = bad game, plain and simple. All the flash and cheese doesn't help its case if the game is fundamentally broken. And it is. Deal with it.
Wow, maybe I won't try it, then...

OldRover

If you're a gamer in a hurry or have limited playtime, give it a miss. If you want to sit down with it for hours on end, listening to the same old terrible voice acting time and time again while unlearning every proper platforming technique you already know just to play this one game, give it a try.

Arjak

Okay, I've made my decision:

Shape Shifter is a miss.

But nobody seems willing to tell me about J.B. Harold. What's it like?

CrackTiger

Quote from: Nödtveidt on 07/10/2007, 10:11 PMBad controls = bad game, plain and simple. All the flash and cheese doesn't help its case if the game is fundamentally broken. And it is. Deal with it.
You may find Shape Shifter to be a bad game, but bad controls do not always equal a bad game. :wink:

Just as good controls do not automatically mean a great game.
Justin the Not-So-Cheery Black/Hack/CrackTiger helped Joshua Jackass, Andrew/Arkhan Dildovich and the DildoPhiles destroy 2 PC Engine groups: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook, then the other by Aaron Nanto!!! Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together! Both times he blamed the Aarons and their staff in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged/destructive/doxxing toxic turbo troll gang which he covers up for under the "community" euphemism!

TurboXray

I love J.B. Harold. If you like detective style games (going out on a limb, but snatcher is similar), then you'll dig it. It does use fancy (read crappy) full motion video, but instead uses stills and ADPCM voice overs. I would love to play the other J.B. Harolds - are they in english?

Emerald Rocker

I reverse engineered Cadash to try to figure out why it controls so sloppily.  I had the noble intentions of making the game play better, but I would have to rewrite 30% of the code, so I said "to hell with that!"

I was going to reverse engineer a few more old games, but then I realized that if I'm going to be wasting time on someone else's game (as opposed to working on my own), I may as well just play those games and have some fun instead.

PS: Cadash is not a CD game, therefore you should get Shape Shifter instead (which is better anyways)
Official member of the PCEFX 4K Post Club

TurboXray

Quote from: Emerald Rocker on 07/10/2007, 11:10 PMI reverse engineered Cadash to try to figure out why it controls so sloppily.  I had the noble intentions of making the game play better, but I would have to rewrite 30% of the code, so I said "to hell with that!"

I was going to reverse engineer a few more old games, but then I realized that if I'm going to be wasting time on someone else's game (as opposed to working on my own), I may as well just play those games and have some fun instead.

PS: Cadash is not a CD game, therefore you should get Shape Shifter instead (which is better anyways)
Uhm, since when did you start doing PCE game dev or PCE hacking? Or are you being sarcastic. Just curious...

Keranu

He's just trolling, mal, that's his job on these forums :D .
Quote from: TurboXray on 01/02/2014, 09:21 PMAdding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).
IMG

StarkJJ

I recently upgraded my Magic Engine to the latest version, and was finally able to play my old copy of Shape Shifter.  The funny thing is, the first thing I thought was, "controls aren't too bad".  The controls honestly felt fine to me.  I remember the controls being kind of bad when I had a duo, but when I played it recently it felt fine.  Maybe I'm just a far superior gamer these days 8).  Oh yeah, I'm new here.

nat

Quote from: StarkJJ on 07/11/2007, 05:37 AMMaybe I'm just a far superior gamer these days 8).  Oh yeah, I'm new here. 
Really? I thought the "Posts: 1" under your name was just a joke.

But yeah, Shape Shifter's controls aren't really as bad as "some" individuals make them out to be. There are other games on the Turbo that actually have severely flawed controls.

OldRover

I can't think of too many games that have terribly flawed controls. I know everyone harps on Camp California but fortunately, the only real problem with that game is Byron's sprite-to-background coldet routine. Some games are missing something or have strange glitches (Turrican comes to mind...no direction change when crouching, and you can lay mines while falling!) but I've yet to come across many games that are terribly flawed in the controls department.

And yes, Emerald Rocker is just being a turd, as usual. It's his job to be the most annoying fuck on the forum.

Black Tiger: good controls don't equal a good game, but bad controls will ruin a game that otherwise has the potential to be good.

StarkJJ

Quote from: nat on 07/11/2007, 10:30 AM
Quote from: StarkJJ on 07/11/2007, 05:37 AMMaybe I'm just a far superior gamer these days 8).  Oh yeah, I'm new here. 
Really? I thought the "Posts: 1" under your name was just a joke.
Thanks for the welcome I guess.

offsidewing

If people have a problem with the controls in Shape Shifter, I have often recommend this:

Play Karateka on the Atari 7800, then go back to (game with supposed lousy controls).  If you ever complain about the controls in (game with supposed lousy controls) after that, then ring your call bell and Tommy will come by with a spade shovel and hit you in the teeth with it because you are a whiner.

Still not convinced.  Find yourself a copy of Impossible Mission and try that "dump truck racing at Monaco" gameplay feel.

Still convinced that you must have good controls to play a game, then that person must be a Prima Donna and one lousy gamer.  A gamer doesn't bitch about controls.  It's part of the game.  A gamer cowboys up, familiarizes themselves with controls (no mater how awful), adapts to the paramaters of the programming, formulates a strategy, and conquers.  Whether its Gran Tursimo 23, Madden 2125, or Prince of Persian Protectorate of the US.  That's what you do.

OldRover

offsidewing, stfu. If people want to complain about it, they're going to, and if people ARE complaining about it, there's obviously a reason. A shit coding job is a shit coding job no matter how well you want to wipe.

By the way...Impossible Mission had pretty good controls, at least the C64 version. It was just a rather hard game...and hard on its own merits, not hard because of a botched control scheme. Karateka wasn't terribly bad either, but it could have been a bit better.

I do have a recommendation for you though: go out and buy yourself a motorcycle. Now, hacksaw off one handlebar, flatten both tires, and insert a rock into the chain. Then, start that bitch up and try to ride it without killing yourself. Best of luck. If you can do that, I'll consider Shape Shifter a decently-programmed game.

nat

Yeesh, never knew nodtveidt had such strong feelings about Shape Shifter.  :?

OldRover

Quote from: nat on 07/11/2007, 02:40 PMYeesh, never knew nodtveidt had such strong feelings about Shape Shifter.  :?
I don't. I simply can't stand it when someone starts spewing pompous bullshit about things they don't understand, and I hate ALL fanboys. Furthermore, I'm never going to rationalize a poorly-crafted game with even poorer excuses or even insults towards other players as some are doing.

OldRover

Oh, I almost forgot...

No one here is telling anyone not to play the game, and I'm not insulting anyone who actually enjoys it. If you like the game, then fine, enjoy it. But when you start saying stupid shit like "if you can't play it then you're a sucky gamer", then you're talking shit, and it ain't cool bein' a jive turkey so close to Thanksgiving.

TurboXray

Quote from: offsidewing on 07/11/2007, 12:43 PMStill convinced that you must have good controls to play a game, then that person must be a Prima Donna and one lousy gamer.  A gamer doesn't bitch about controls.  It's part of the game.  A gamer cowboys up, familiarizes themselves with controls (no mater how awful), adapts to the paramaters of the programming, formulates a strategy, and conquers.  Whether its Gran Tursimo 23, Madden 2125, or Prince of Persian Protectorate of the US.  That's what you do.
What!? What a load of crap!  ("cowboy up" ? Please save it for your fellow country boys.)

Is the game horrible, no. Will the games play controls put off your average gamer, more than likely. Does the game still have appeal despite the controls, sure but not for everyone. It strange that almost every time this game's controls are mentioned, someone (not pointing to anyone in patricular ) responds that other gamers are nothing more than cry babies and it's not the controls but the difficulty.

Maybe some people are partial to sub par controls - I recommend trying Browning  :mrgreen:

Keranu

Quote from: offsidewing on 07/11/2007, 12:43 PMand Tommy will come by with a spade shovel and hit you in the teeth with it because you are a whiner.
"And Tommy will come by and hit you in the head with a sledge hammer because you are a retard", I assume this is the reference you are referring to :) .
IMG

Arjak

Can we please stop with the flaming each other? It's driving me crazy! [-X

Listen, we can bitch about games all we want. It's not going to change anything. I, being a veteran gamer, understand that there is a fine line between a tough game and a cheap game. Contra is a prime example, the classic games in the series are known for their pants-shitting difficulty, but it's not because the game threw all kinds of cheap shots at you just to piss you off (except for maybe the bulldozers in the tundra of the first game), it's because the game was well tuned. Heck, they even threw in the Konami code in some of them to let average-skilled gamers play. That's why it's a classic, because it's tough, not because the game was cheating, but because human beings often fuck up. But if we fight about it, insult each other's gaming skills, and continue to be jerks to other posters, it's just going to make things hard on everyone.

Remember: It's not about the game being the best ever, it's about having fun.

I think I'll try Shape Shifter, if I like it, fine. If I don't, well, It's only thirty dollars.

I didn't mean to start this flame war, but I hope this finishes it.

OK, rant over.

CrackTiger

Quote from: Nödtveidt on 07/11/2007, 11:15 AMBlack Tiger: good controls don't equal a good game, but bad controls will ruin a game that otherwise has the potential to be good.
Its true that it can ruin a game that would've been good and its probably usually the case.

But I'm sure that there are games with shoddy interface that people still have fun with(even though it would've been even funner with fixed controls).

Shape Shifter is a good example. Even though some people don't like it for many reasons and some such as yourself find it to actually just be a bad game...  -we can also see that many people have had fun playing it and in the end thats all that matters to those who are able to enjoy it.

A quality game all round is worthless if its not enjoyable to a particular person.

Turbo D

speaking of games with pant shitting difficulty, how about Daimaikamura for super grafx.
IMG IMG
IMG

GUTS

LOL at the fat guy who said he "reverse engineered" Shape Shifter.  Try reverse engineering some gaming skills instead chief!

Emerald Rocker

Quote from: TurboXray on 07/10/2007, 11:23 PM
Quote from: Emerald Rocker on 07/10/2007, 11:10 PMI reverse engineered Cadash to try to figure out why it controls so sloppily.  I had the noble intentions of making the game play better, but I would have to rewrite 30% of the code, so I said "to hell with that!"

Uhm, since when did you start doing PCE game dev or PCE hacking? Or are you being sarcastic. Just curious...
I was making fun of Noltveit's misguided (and ridiculous) idea that he can determine whether a game controls well or not based on code.

I must admit, I'm eager to play one of Notveilt's games... unfortunately, I'll have to reverse engineer it to determine whether or not it's any fun.
Official member of the PCEFX 4K Post Club

Arjak

CrackTiger

Quote from: turbo D on 07/11/2007, 10:50 PMspeaking of games with pant shitting difficulty, how about Daimaikamura for super grafx.
Its not that difficult once you get the hang of it. There's just an increasing amount of cheap spots the closer you get to the end that skill alone cannot overcome.

Once you complete the first loop, it goes alot quicker the second time through.  :)