Favorite Turbo/PCE Chiptune?

Started by Arjak, 12/10/2010, 01:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Arjak

Yeah, this has probably been already done, but I never saw a thread for it.

Having read Arkhan's interview with himself in the latest issue of PC Engine Gamer, and his talk about the lack of chiptune love, I was inspired to create this.

This thread is brought to you by my favorite chiptune, the final level BGM of Gunhed/Blazing Lazers! It perfectly captures the spirit of the level, its frenetic pace, its climactic feel; it just kicks ass.

What's yours?
He who dings the Gunhed must PAAAAY!!! -Ninja Spirit

Official Ninja

The 1st level of Bonk's Adventure.  :-"

Marll

Man, I'd really have to think about this, and probably play quite a few games again to really nail it down. I really like chiptunes and think that many of the chiptune songs have way more character and are cooler than most of the music in todays games.

Also, just in case nobody has seen this, awesome video:
Around 5:25 I think is especially cool.
Rabid Turbo fan since 1989!
Happy F@ck eBay member since 2010

NecroPhile

I hate search!  :P

My favorite are tunes from Dungeon Explorer, Batman, Air Zonk, Bonk's Revenge, and Bonk's Big Adventure.  Just about every song from these titles is pure auditory gold.
Ultimate Forum Bully/Thief/Saboteur/Clone Warrior! BURN IN HELL NECROPHUCK!!!

OldRover

Dead Moon and the Neutopias.
Turbo Badass Rank: Janne (6 of 12 clears)
Conquered so far: Sinistron, Violent Soldier, Tatsujin, Super Raiden, Shape Shifter, Rayxanber II

SignOfZeta

Yeah, its been done. The search sucks though, so what the hell.

Stage 2 of Aeroblasters. I love it!
IMG

ccovell

Legendary Axe II, final level.

Legendary Axe II, level 3.

Legendary Axe II, final boss theme.

That would be my top 3 right there.

JoshTurboTrollX

Jossshhhhh...Legendary TurboTrollX-16: He revenge-bans PCE Developers/Ys IV Localizers from PCE Facebook groups and destroyed 2 PC Engine groups: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook, then the other by Aaron Nanto!!! Josh and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together! Both times he blamed the Aarons and their staff in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner (extortion!), never himself nor his deranged, destructive, toxic turbo troll gang!

awack

Arkhan Asylum

This "max-level forum psycho" (:lol:) destroyed TWO PC Engine groups in rage: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook "Because Chris 'Shadowland' Runyon!," then the other by Aaron Nanto "Because Le NightWolve!" Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together... Both times he blamed the Aarons in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged, destructive, toxic turbo troll gang!

Tatsujin

2nd & 4th level of PC Denjin.
www.pcedaisakusen.net - home of your individual PC Engine collection!!
PCE Games countdown: 690/737 (47 to go or 93.6% clear)
PCE Shmups countdown: 111/111 (all clear!!)
Sega does what Nintendon't, but only NEC does better than both together!^^
<Senshi> Tat's i'm going to contact the people of Hard Off and open a store stateside..

gekioh

I especially love the Neutopias and DE.

rag-time4

Image Fight stage III
Super Star Soldier stage VIII
Blazing Lazers stage VIII (bubbles)

exile

MotoRoader- "I need some Turbo"

Blazing Lazers last stage

Gate of Thunder-intro I'm not into rock,but that song had me fist pumping and bopping my head.

Colossus1574

Quote from: Marll on 12/10/2010, 01:52 PMMan, I'd really have to think about this, and probably play quite a few games again to really nail it down. I really like chiptunes and think that many of the chiptune songs have way more character and are cooler than most of the music in todays games.

that guy is kinda freaky looking...but damn! he's got skillllzzzzzzz!  =D&gt;

Arkhan Asylum

yeah that chipophone dude is very awkward on camera, but that thing is fucking legit, and he plays some nice stuff.

Id tell the guy to make me one but Im pretty sure hes foreign so building + shipping it over seas would cost like 10934802394809 money.

This "max-level forum psycho" (:lol:) destroyed TWO PC Engine groups in rage: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook "Because Chris 'Shadowland' Runyon!," then the other by Aaron Nanto "Because Le NightWolve!" Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together... Both times he blamed the Aarons in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged, destructive, toxic turbo troll gang!

Lilgrafx

1)Legendary axe level 5 gets me pumped

2) Blazing lazers Brain stage

turbogrfxfan

for me id say........................ d.e., metal stoker, blazing lazers, lost sunheartparidus da!
"Is everyone from jersey a trolling douche?"

rag-time4

How could I forget the Keith Courage overworld music.... that might honestly be my favorite.

nat

I'm just the opposite... KC's underworld music is the shit. I remember when I first got the system, playing the game for the first time as soon as that underworld hit I was like "Holy shit the 16-bit era is gonna be epic."

Arkhan Asylum

Quote from: nat on 12/14/2010, 09:01 PMI'm just the opposite... KC's underworld music is the shit. I remember when I first got the system, playing the game for the first time as soon as that underworld hit I was like "Holy shit the 16-bit era is gonna be epic."
yeah dude the bass is like ... bnnbnbnbnbnbnbnbbnbnbnbnbnbnbnbnbnbnbnnb

it kicks ass.   All the underworld tunes are sweet.

Keith Courage is sweet in general.

I think its the best pack-in game ever.  Fuck all the haters.

Marll

I think that when I got to the first underworld stage in Keith Courage I think I literally said something along the lines of "Holy fuck, shit just got serious!"

Never liked the overworld sections much, but the rest of the game is pretty cool IMO. First thing that blew me away was the colors compared to other systems available at the time (1989).
Rabid Turbo fan since 1989!
Happy F@ck eBay member since 2010

nat

KC gets a lot of flack for being the early pack-in choice because the subject matter of the game is sort of ho-hum. But it's obvious why the picked it.... It really showcases the graphical and sound capabilities of the system.

Vecanti

KC is one of my favorites. The music is just awesome.  Even the short bits, like when you see the rainbow and the short tune when you see KC changing into the Nova suit.  Coming from a NES to playing KC the music and sound just blew me away.  The end tune in KC is one of my all time favorite chip tunes. It's just amazing.

The graphics are repetitive, but what is there is beautiful. The underworld characters are plain art. 

There are a few surprises like the overworld with the Ice. On a CRT is looked amazing back in the day. My friends and I thought it looked like real ice on the screen.  Had a surreal effect.  (The effect is lost on emulators and clearer screens like LCDs)

Also, anyone into PC/Turbo chip tunes of course has to check out the amazing Squirrel!!
http://www.aetherbyte.com/psg.htm

Just wish I had more time to make music. Someday....

nat

Quote from: GobanToba on 12/15/2010, 01:07 AMOn a CRT is looked amazing back in the day. My friends and I thought it looked like real ice on the screen.  Had a surreal effect. 
Holy crap, me too. I thought I was the only one!

OldRover

Quote from: nat on 12/15/2010, 02:16 AM
Quote from: GobanToba on 12/15/2010, 01:07 AMOn a CRT is looked amazing back in the day. My friends and I thought it looked like real ice on the screen.  Had a surreal effect. 
Holy crap, me too. I thought I was the only one!
Aye, same here... it looks quite realistic on a normal CRT, and it was very convincing.
Turbo Badass Rank: Janne (6 of 12 clears)
Conquered so far: Sinistron, Violent Soldier, Tatsujin, Super Raiden, Shape Shifter, Rayxanber II

Obfuscate

Anything on Soldier Blade, Air Zonk and Dungeon Explorer.

Gogan

Nothin beats the real thing.

Arkhan Asylum

Quote from: Gogan on 12/17/2010, 11:05 AMChina Warrior title screen :)
tru dat.

I think if we all lived in Japan and loved us some Wataru cartoon time, KC wouldnt get made fun of as much.

rag-time4

Quote from: guest on 12/17/2010, 09:28 PM
Quote from: Gogan on 12/17/2010, 11:05 AMChina Warrior title screen :)
tru dat.

I think if we all lived in Japan and loved us some Wataru cartoon time, KC wouldnt get made fun of as much.
I never make fun of Keith Courage.

Arkhan Asylum

The people who do make fun of Keith Courage are laaaaaame.

I'll be honest:

NES: Mario
Genesis: Altered Beast
TG-16: Keith Courage

Keith is definitely the best of those 3 games.

It may not beat out Sonic the Hedgehog or Super Mario World, but by the time that jive came out, we had us some Bonk.

_Paul

It's just not possible to single out one (or even 20) best chiptunes, but I will say one of the first chiptunes that really turned me on to the PC Engine was level 1 from Super Star Soldier.

Arkhan Asylum

Quote from: guest on 12/21/2010, 04:46 PMIt's just not possible to single out one (or even 20) best chiptunes, but I will say one of the first chiptunes that really turned me on to the PC Engine was level 1 from Super Star Soldier.
See for me it was the music that plays in the houses in Neutopia.

Lilgrafx

Quote from: guest on 12/14/2010, 09:11 PM
Quote from: nat on 12/14/2010, 09:01 PMI'm just the opposite... KC's underworld music is the shit. I remember when I first got the system, playing the game for the first time as soon as that underworld hit I was like "Holy shit the 16-bit era is gonna be epic."
yeah dude the bass is like ... bnnbnbnbnbnbnbnbbnbnbnbnbnbnbnbnbnbnbnnb

it kicks ass.   All the underworld tunes are sweet.

Keith Courage is sweet in general.

I think its the best pack-in game ever.  Fuck all the haters.
Really? It an ok game but compared to Super Mario World or Sonic the Hedgehog it mediocre. Shit even Altered Beast is better. Though the music is Pretty kick ass

Eltigro

I have several of them floating through my head.  My first thought was R-Type, but that's not really one that is restricted to the TG.  I like the music on the Legendary Axe's second level and the music in Psychosis.  Those are the ones that stick out in my mind atm.

esteban

From the "under appreciated" category:

Stage 6 (2/256) from Atomic Robo Kid (Special) is very nice, but you can't fully appreciate it when you are playing because of all the SFX and hectic action.

NOTE: I know the tunes in ARK sound "dinky" and I wish it had a fuller sound, but the entire soundtrack is decent and sounds great, nonetheless.
IMGIMG IMG  |  IMG  |  IMG IMG

_Paul

Quote from: esteban on 02/20/2011, 03:18 PMFrom the "under appreciated" category:

Stage 6 (2/256) from Atomic Robo Kid (Special) is very nice, but you can't fully appreciate it when you are playing because of all the SFX and hectic action.

NOTE: I know the tunes in ARK sound "dinky" and I wish it had a fuller sound, but the entire soundtrack is decent and sounds great, nonetheless.
Is that the gold level? I love that tune.

CrackTiger

Some of my favorites that I can name the in-game location of-

Bloody Wolf stage 1
Aeroblasters stage 1
Neutopia all 3 boss themes
Kabukiden first dungeon bgm
Altered Beast boss music
Air Zonk title screen
Ninja Spirit stage 2 and PCE mode ending
R-Type stage 1
Dragon's Curse village theme
Keith Courage alpha zone bgm
Justin the Not-So-Cheery Black/Hack/CrackTiger helped Joshua Jackass, Andrew/Arkhan Dildovich and the DildoPhiles destroy 2 PC Engine groups: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook, then the other by Aaron Nanto!!! Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together! Both times he blamed the Aarons and their staff in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged/destructive/doxxing toxic turbo troll gang which he covers up for under the "community" euphemism!

nat

Keith Courage underworld theme immediately springs to mind, that shit ROCKS. It was up front, in your face, screaming "WELCOME TO THE 16-BIT GENERATION" back in the day.

esteban

Quote from: guest on 02/20/2011, 04:39 PM
Quote from: esteban on 02/20/2011, 03:18 PMFrom the "under appreciated" category:

Go to 4:10 in this video
for Stage 6 (it's hard to hear the tune, though).
Go to ~2:15 for stage 4, which is the gold tubes :)

The PCE version of Stage 6 holds its own against the other versions, and, dare I say, is SUPERIOR! :)

spenoza

Magical Chase final level (level 6). It is my favorite tune on the PC Engine.
This rendition is not hardware authentic, but it still sounds awesome.

_Paul

Quote from: esteban on 02/21/2011, 12:13 AM
Quote from: guest on 02/20/2011, 04:39 PM

Go to 4:10 in this video
for Stage 6 (it's hard to hear the tune, though).
Go to ~2:15 for stage 4, which is the gold tubes :)

The PCE version of Stage 6 holds its own against the other versions, and, dare I say, is SUPERIOR! :)
Ah yeah, that a great tune as well. The game complete tune is also pretty awesome. In fact, that game has a great soundtrack overall, even if it takes a while to realise it.

turbokon

Here are what come to mind for me:

Super star soldier stage 4
Soldier blade stage 4 & 5
Splatterhouse chapel and end boss
Ninja Spirit stage 6 and ending
Legendary Axe stage with the candles on the walls
All of China Warriors.
Title screen for sinistron and deadmoon.
Areo blasters stage 2 & 4.
Of couse dungeon explorer.
Turbo fan since 1991 after owning my first system.

Check out my website:)
www.tg16pcemods.com

nat

Quote from: guest on 02/21/2011, 11:35 AMMagical Chase final level (level 6). It is my favorite tune on the PC Engine.
Oh my god, that sounds AWFUL. The tune itself is good, but this right here is the precise reason I hate emulation.

Arkhan Asylum

Quote from: nat on 02/21/2011, 08:24 PM
Quote from: guest on 02/21/2011, 11:35 AMMagical Chase final level (level 6). It is my favorite tune on the PC Engine.
Oh my god, that sounds AWFUL. The tune itself is good, but this right here is the precise reason I hate emulation.
Brought to you by MAGIC ENGINE!!!!!

That is how tinny and lurpy the chiptunes sounded when I was testing Insanity stuff out in Magic Engine. 

GAUGE

Quote from: Marll on 12/10/2010, 01:52 PMMan, I'd really have to think about this, and probably play quite a few games again to really nail it down. I really like chiptunes and think that many of the chiptune songs have way more character and are cooler than most of the music in todays games.

Damn, that is pretty friggin' incredible... I wonder if he's got any plans to mass produce the Chipophone.

esteban

Quote from: GAUGE on 02/24/2011, 10:31 AM

Damn, that is pretty friggin' incredible... I wonder if he's got any plans to mass produce the Chipophone.
I just watched the Chipophone video.

Fantastic.

Lots of classic C64 renditions on there.

SuperPlay

I want a Chipophone ...... 'o and to be able to play the keyboard ;-)

Arkhan Asylum

Quote from: GAUGE on 02/24/2011, 10:31 AMDamn, that is pretty friggin' incredible... I wonder if he's got any plans to mass produce the Chipophone.
Sadly, I doubt it.  Things like that are a complete pain in the ass to build, kind of costly, and are obviously very big.  Talk about shipping disasters!

The PITA building, and cost involved alone.. along with the fact that this thing would target a very specific kind of market, probably made the guy decide not to bother.

Now, if he posted schematics and components required, and published a build-guide.... :)

PunkCryborg

i really like rastan saga IIs music its totally radical