@GTV reviews the Cosmic Fantasy 1-2 Switch collection by Edia, provides examples of the poor English editing/localization work. It's much worse for CF1. Rated "D" for disappointment, finding that TurboGrafx CF2 is better & while CF1's the real draw, Edia screwed it up...
Main Menu

What are some MUST HAVE games suggestions to TurboGrafx-16/CD n00b?

Started by JohnnyPhantom, 11/14/2012, 01:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JohnnyPhantom

Hey everyone!
Curious, what are some great games to get me hooked in on the TurboGrafx-16 or TurboGrafx-CD awesomeness?

I've been a owner of a TurboDuo for a couple weeks now (which is neat since the manufacturing date was 10/1992 and I got it 10/2012 so 20 its year anniversary I got the system) I've been playing some of what I think are some must haves like Dracula X and Splatterhouse but I'm sure there are more great ones out there

The ones I'm dying to play are Ghost Manor, Neutopia, Neutopia II, and Loom (just working on getting any of those for a decent price)

looking for any suggestions ^-^
Blazing Lasers looks good too, but I'm not much into scrolling shooters, I do love Puzzle games and RPGs

OldRover

Exile (action RPG) and Cosmic Fantasy 2 (traditional RPG) are must-haves.

EDIT: Cadash (action RPG) too... all three were brought over by the same company (Working Designs).
Turbo Badass Rank: Janne (6 of 12 clears)
Conquered so far: Sinistron, Violent Soldier, Tatsujin, Super Raiden, Shape Shifter, Rayxanber II

MotherGunner

-MG

SI VIS PACEM, PARA BELLUM (If you want peace, Prepare for war)
SI VIS BELLUM, PARA MATRIMONIUM (If you want war, Prepare for marriage)

JohnnyPhantom

Quote from: OldRover on 11/14/2012, 01:45 PMExile (action RPG) and Cosmic Fantasy 2 (traditional RPG) are must-haves.

EDIT: Cadash (action RPG) too... all three were brought over by the same company (Working Designs).
Thanks for the suggestions!! That reminds me, the games anyone sugests should be english friendly :P

I don't speak or read japanese..... YET! (going to get rosetta stone and attempt to learn so I can play the PCE-CD version of Snatcher, sure I could just play my SegaCD version, but its way better unaltered and censored like it is on the PCE)

DildoKKKobold

From your other thread, It appears that you don't mind non-legit copies. You may not know that a multicart exists for the Turbografx/PC-Engine. This allows for you to play all but 1 game, iirc.

http://krikzz.com/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=57

Worth the purchase.

Game wise, I suggest Dungeon Explorer 1 & 2, Tricky Kick, Dragon's Curse, Last Alert, Bloody Wolf, and Shockman.
For a good time, email: kylethomson@gmail.com
Dildos provided free of charge, no need to bring your own! :lol:
DoxPhile .com / chat
IMG

Arkhan Asylum

China Warrior or I will punch your nutsack until you cry.  It is the greatest Kung Fu experience outside of getting kicked in the teeth by Bruce Lee himself.

Also, you need Keith Courage, Bonk's Adventure, Parasol Stars, and Legendary Axe.  

Definitely get Parasol Stars.   if you're into puzzles, you might like Tricky Kick and Boxy Boy.   It's just one of those "Figure out the right order" games for Tricky Kick, and Sokoban for Boxy Boy.    Fun stuff.

Every game is a must have.  who are we kidding.  Get any game you can find. they're all worth playing.

EDIT: Mother fuckers posted while I was posting.!!!1@#rt456ty

This "max-level forum psycho" (:lol:) destroyed TWO PC Engine groups in rage: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook "Because Chris 'Shadowland' Runyon!," then the other by Aaron Nanto "Because Le NightWolve!" Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together... Both times he blamed the Aarons in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged, destructive, toxic turbo troll gang!

csgx1

Quote from: guest on 11/14/2012, 01:57 PMEvery game is a must have.  who are we kidding.  Get any game you can find. they're all worth playing.
Quoted for the truth.

Alien Crush & Devil's Crush if you like pinball. 

glazball

Blazing Lazers, Soldier Blade, Splatterhouse, Galaga 90, Chew-Man-Fu, Devil's Crush and Neutopia are some of my favorites!
glazball's game collection and wantlist

OldRover

Time Cruise is a great pinball sim too. The system doesn't have any "bad" pinball games... they're all good. Time Cruise is especially cool because it breaks the standard pinball model by engaging in many different types of minigames, such as a marble labyrinth and a minigolf game.
Conquered so far: Sinistron, Violent Soldier, Tatsujin, Super Raiden, Shape Shifter, Rayxanber II

futureman2000

Legendary Axe, Parasol Stars.

I have heard that Ghost Manor is the opposite of fun, but maybe I'm thinking of a different one.

JohnnyPhantom

Quote from: guest on 11/14/2012, 01:57 PMFrom your other thread, It appears that you don't mind non-legit copies. You may not know that a multicart exists for the Turbografx/PC-Engine. This allows for you to play all but 1 game, iirc.

http://krikzz.com/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=57

Worth the purchase.

Game wise, I suggest Dungeon Explorer 1 & 2, Tricky Kick, Dragon's Curse, Last Alert, Bloody Wolf, and Shockman.
I do not mine non-legit stuff, but I still prefer to have the real deal as well. I normally go non-legit to "demo" a game or for travel use

I have a EverDrive device for my SNES which I use to play games on the go with my SupaBoy (just eaiser to travel with), other than that I still collect the real carts.

Currently I'm working on getting a Turbo Express (trying to trade some of my N64 stuff for one) in which case a Turbo Everdrive will be awesome.

OldRover

JohnnyPhantom

Quote from: OldRover on 11/14/2012, 02:47 PMOh, and you have to get Insanity. It's a must-have.
Insanity ey? I'm already sold on the name ^-^ Off to find it! hope its good as I blindly buy it :P

OldRover

MotherGunner

Quote from: guest on 11/14/2012, 01:57 PMEDIT: Mother fuckers Gunner posted while I was posting.!!!1@#rt456ty
Ha ha ha!

And I'm surprised you let someone else push your game, Insanity.  Come on man, guerilla marketing!   :D
-MG

SI VIS PACEM, PARA BELLUM (If you want peace, Prepare for war)
SI VIS BELLUM, PARA MATRIMONIUM (If you want war, Prepare for marriage)

Obfuscate

Cadash
Dungeon Explorer
Ys 1 and 2
Final Lap Twin (old school racing game that is a fun RPG mode and also a cheap pick up)

JohnnyPhantom

Just popped in my copy of Dragon Spirit, sooooooooo good! I like how if you have a multithreaded dragon you can fire and bomb at the same time!

Sadler

Get Ninja Spirit, Bloody Wolf and Splash Lake. Also, check out THIS THREAD. Most of the top games are cheap and all kick ass.  :D

roflmao

Ys Books I & II, Ys Book III, Mysterious Song, Cosmic Fantasy 2, Cadash, Military Madness, Final Lap Twin, Ninja Spirit, Bloody Wolf, both the Crush games (Alien and Devil's) should all be relatively inexpensive to find and all sorts of fun to play.  Most of those are hucards.

rag-time4

If you're a fan of RPG's then Ys I+II and Ys III are must haves. Legendary Axe I with it's atmospheric music is fantastic as well if you like action platformers!

Damon Plus

Get what I call the 5-pack. 5 games that are easy enough to find and not expensive, cover a wide range of genres and are perfect for starting to get into the Turbografx-16 library.

-Military Madness: Strategy, with two 16 level campaigns and the possibility of playing as the enemy too. Very addictive.
-Alien Crush: Pinball, just one main table, but a great one to play and the atmosphere kicks ass.
-Legendary Axe: Platformer, a perfect example of a simple but efective gameplay, very good graphics and sound too.
-Blazing Lazers: Shoot'em-up, one of the most well rounded in the TG library.
-Dungeon Explorer: Rpg, like and overhead, deeper Gauntlet. Lots of characters to play as, as well as 5-way multiplayer.

majors

Quote from: JohnnyPhantom on 11/14/2012, 01:35 PMBlazing Lasers looks good too, but I'm not much into scrolling shooters, I do love Puzzle games and RPGs
Quote from: JohnnyPhantom on 11/14/2012, 08:31 PMJust popped in my copy of Dragon Spirit, sooooooooo good! I like how if you have a multithreaded dragon you can fire and bomb at the same time!
Um... so shmups are on the table then? Spriggan, any of the Soldier series, Parodius, Dragon Saber(sequel), R-type to name a few. Also Twin Bee and Xevious have bomb mechanics like Dragon Spirit. Most of the titles other ppl listed are good...except for Final Lap Twin, Time Cruse and China Warrior <hey, he ask for opinions!>
TG/PCE Collection.
"Booze should be a choice, not a privilege" -KCDC (The FP)

geise

Last Alert for the cut-scene voice acting alone! :D

O:)

esteban

IMGIMG IMG  |  IMG  |  IMG IMG

Nec.Game.head

These Imo are some of the must play affordable Hu card games ...

Air Zonk
Ninja Spirit
New Adventure Island
Devil's Crush
Spatter House
Dungeon Explorer
World Court Tennis
Finally playing these games I couldn't get my hands on back in 91' !!! Nec fan always !!!