RIP to BT Garner of MindRec.com... He passed away early 2023 from health problems. BT was one of the top PCE homebrew developers and founder of the OG Turbo List, then PCECP.com. Condolences to family and friends.
IMG
IMG
Main Menu

How do you fix a stripped screw hole?

Started by JohnnyPhantom, 12/05/2012, 12:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JohnnyPhantom

Hey everyone!
I've received my 2 Turbo Express's in the mail today

I'm gonna have to swap some parts around to make 1 awesome stock one, and 1 ready for LCD mod goodness.

One of the Expresses has a pristine looking case! and the screen is perfect! but no backlight, assuming its a bad bulb, I'd like this one to stay stock. So I'll swap the insides of this one with the insides of the next one I'll tell you about

The other Express powers up, backlight, but no video or sound (cap issue, in fact I'll be replacing caps on both units), but the case has a lil more battle damage, and the screen lens is scuffed up. So This one will become the modded one with a 3.5" LCD (since it will end up with the bad backlight screen) and a new lens for the 3.5" LCD mod from thesteve.

now that the story is out of the way, now onto the topic question. The first express case looks great BUT! the screw in the top right of the unit (when face down) spins and spins and never catches, looks like it was stripped, whats the best way to repair this? the hole it goes into looks just fine on both halves of the unit, just seems the few threads it actually catches have been ripped out :(

any advice?
thanks all!

Keith Courage

put super glue in the hole and wait for it to dry. Then put the screw back in. If that does work buy a slightly larger screw.

psychobear

I use so apoxy stuff they have a auto parts stores, just like Keith I fill in the hole let it dry and screw it back in, has always work for me.

JohnnyPhantom

You guys are awesome! sounds like a plan!
one thing I just did was notice that on the to be modded express, the backlight works but the screen has 3 dead pixels in the center of the screen... grrr cant have that. with a lil bit of easy surgery. I moved just the tube/bulb to the good looking keeping stock express. So that looks much better now. now I just got to think of possible backlight opens for the future (since im assuming the bulbs dont last forever) maybe I'll do a string of LED lights inside.. hmmm... have to do some searching around these forums for some ideas.

jelloslug

JB weld in the stripped out hole will work fine also.