RIP to BT Garner of MindRec.com... He passed away early 2023 from health problems. BT was one of the top PCE homebrew developers and founder of the OG Turbo List, then PCECP.com. Condolences to family and friends.
IMG
IMG
Main Menu

The Anime Thread: Finding Good Anime

Started by DragonmasterDan, 07/08/2011, 12:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DragonmasterDan

Quote from: guest on 04/05/2013, 10:58 AMLol, someday I'll finish Nadia but I watched half of the Oh My Goddess OVA on Laserdisc the other night, hopefully I'll finish the other couple episodes this weekend.  Watching old AnimEigo releases is such a nostalgia bomb.
I highly recommend finishing Nadia, you can even skip over episodes 23-29 as they're just garbage filler. The ending of the series is great. If not for those filler episodes it would be right up there with being my favorite anime series of all time.
--DragonmasterDan

DragonmasterDan

I picked up Otaku no Video recently, still going through Bubblegum Crisis (then Crash) but I was curious if anyone had seen this before?
--DragonmasterDan

geise

Man Otaku no Video.  I haven't seen that in ages.  I still have it on VHS.  Always liked watching it.  I have seen all of Bubblegum Crisis.  I like it way better than Crash.

Earlier this year I finally decided to watch One Piece.  I tend to stay away from mainstream anime, but holy shit it is so awesome!  I am only on episode 255 of 600 something I believe.  It's so good.  The character background and how it all comes together is deep and well thought out.  Sometimes it drags a little, but nothing like DBZ does.  God...fuck DBZ...

BTW I am only watching the Kaizoku fansub versions of One Piece.  I never watch dubbed anime unless it's old Streamline.

SignOfZeta

Quote from: DragonmasterDan on 04/10/2013, 02:03 PMI picked up Otaku no Video recently, still going through Bubblegum Crisis (then Crash) but I was curious if anyone had seen this before?
Are you kidding? Yes. Yes, I've seen it. It's amazing.

Watch everything Gainax did before Eva. Everything. It's all great.
IMG

munchiaz

Right now I'm just watching the new Jojos bizarre adventure. On ep. 21 right now. I really like it so far, it's weird and has an interesting story. Plus I'm really anticipating the ps3 game that drops in August

Nando

Quote from: munchiaz on 04/17/2013, 01:26 PMRight now I'm just watching the new Jojos bizarre adventure. On ep. 21 right now. I really like it so far, it's weird and has an interesting story. Plus I'm really anticipating the ps3 game that drops in August 
Where are you watching that at?  I had been watching anime on HULU, but I haven't had a chance to catch up on the series I had selected.

munchiaz

Quote from: Nando on 04/17/2013, 05:29 PM
Quote from: munchiaz on 04/17/2013, 01:26 PMRight now I'm just watching the new Jojos bizarre adventure. On ep. 21 right now. I really like it so far, it's weird and has an interesting story. Plus I'm really anticipating the ps3 game that drops in August 
Ive been watching Jojo's on Anilinkz
Where are you watching that at?  I had been watching anime on HULU, but I haven't had a chance to catch up on the series I had selected.

Ji-L87

Quote from: DragonmasterDan on 04/10/2013, 02:03 PMI picked up Otaku no Video recently, still going through Bubblegum Crisis (then Crash) but I was curious if anyone had seen this before?
The first two times I saw it, I remember being really put off those interviews because I thought they were actually sort of real. Sad, I know, and I got lashed out on my blog for it. But hey, I still like it :mrgreen:

As for BGC, keep going through out because IMO the best episodes are the last ones, as the overall quality is soo much better than the early episodes. Episode 7 is probably my fav of the bunch, but 8 is an easy watch for when I just want to bask in the BGC glory, and the way the backgrounds are done in both these episodes is veery nice - love the use of color. 8 can be especially atmospheric in this regard.

And after that, I want to remember Crash being a bit of a letdown. Still, might be worth going through if only for the pretty decent soundtrack :)
CHECKPOINT!
Quote from: esteban on 09/23/2012, 01:40 AMThere is a perverted Japanese businessman in every Swiss PCE fan.

DragonmasterDan

While I'm still working my way through the Bubblegum series this arrived in the mail today.

IMG
--DragonmasterDan

SignOfZeta

That's a really high quality LD. The only thing that sucks about it is that it has no closed captions so English dub or raw Japanese are your only choices.
IMG

PunkCryborg

Watched an episode of Heavy Metal L-Gaim tonight
Thought it was pretty rad. Very nice animation, cool mecha, awesome opening theme with lots of synth and vocoder.

jlued686

Anybody watch The Devil is a Part-Timer? I've been watching it on Hulu lately. Really funny premise, mixed with a lot of fantasy elements. I'm enjoying it quite a bit.

esteban

Quote from: PunkCryborg on 08/16/2013, 12:24 AMWatched an episode of Heavy Metal L-Gaim tonight
Thought it was pretty rad. Very nice animation, cool mecha, awesome opening theme with lots of synth and vocoder.
I watched the entire episode, then started the second one. 

I liked the atmosphere and pacing so far. It's not immediately "this is the best thing ever", but with the second episode expanding into a town, with new characters and the world growing, I'm curious to see how things will develop.
IMGIMG IMG  |  IMG  |  IMG IMG

DragonmasterDan

I've been watching Sherlock Hound (finishing the series) and have  Royal Space Force: The Wings of Honneamise waiting to be watched.
--DragonmasterDan

Nando

Started watching Attack on Titan and Sword-Art:Online to see what the hype is all about. I like them both so far.

xcrement5x

Attack on Titan looks really awesome, I like the look of it as well but have yet to get a chance to watch it.  I did finish watching Kenichi the Mightiest Disciple a couple months ago and it was a good funny and energetic (if generic) fighting anime.  Then I watched Angel Beats recently before it went off Netflix, it's a series with some fun ideas, but still makes you think a bit.

SuperDeadite

DANGAIOH  must be watched by all.  Just be careful though as the USA DVD completely skipped the first episode, and the dub is one of the worst ever too.
Stronger Than Your Average Deadite

Nando

Quote from: guest on 08/19/2013, 04:14 PMAttack on Titan looks really awesome, I like the look of it as well but have yet to get a chance to watch it.
Cruchy roll has the first episode for free.

PunkCryborg

Quote from: esteban on 08/16/2013, 01:10 PM
Quote from: PunkCryborg on 08/16/2013, 12:24 AMWatched an episode of Heavy Metal L-Gaim tonight

I liked the atmosphere and pacing so far. It's not immediately "this is the best thing ever", but with the second episode expanding into a town, with new characters and the world growing, I'm curious to see how things will develop.
Man it gets REALLY good, keep watching :)

esteban

Quote from: PunkCryborg on 08/22/2013, 02:14 AM
Quote from: esteban on 08/16/2013, 01:10 PM

Man it gets REALLY good, keep watching :)
I will! I have been exhausted the past few days and the only thing I want to do is WATCH SOMETHING that doesn't involve dinosaurs on a train, talking rabbits who lack adult supervision, etc.

I also will watch some more Battle of the Planets.

turboswimbz

I'm up into the 20's now.  damn L-gaim gets even better.  the story really builds through the first 15 episodes, and the artwork/battle screens are worth while.
NW: Hey, I made it on this psycho's Enemies' List, how about that ?? ;)
BT: Look at how the fake SFII' carts instantly sold out and were immediately listed on eBay before the flippers even took possession. Look at Nintendo's overpriced bricks. Look at the typical forum discussions elsewhere. You can't tell most retro gamers anything!

DragonmasterDan

I've watched the first two episodes of "Future Boy Conan" after having finished up Sherlock Hound. So far I'm impressed.
--DragonmasterDan

SignOfZeta

Conan is amazing. That scene near the beginning where he's crying and...is he digging a grave or...I can't remember. Anyway, very emotional.
IMG

esteban

Quote from: turboswimbz on 08/22/2013, 08:40 AMI'm up into the 20's now.  damn L-gaim gets even better.  the story really builds through the first 15 episodes, and the artwork/battle screens are worth while.
I just started Episode 9. I'm totally diggin' this.  :pcgs:

Also, I'm the first to make fun of J-pop, but I love the theme song! I don't skip opening/ending credits. I DO skip the previews, though, since they totally spoil the upcoming episode!

Good times.

turboswimbz

Quote from: esteban on 08/22/2013, 10:37 PM
Quote from: turboswimbz on 08/22/2013, 08:40 AMI'm up into the 20's now.  damn L-gaim gets even better.  the story really builds through the first 15 episodes, and the artwork/battle screens are worth while.
I just started Episode 9. I'm totally diggin' this.  :pcgs:

Also, I'm the first to make fun of J-pop, but I love the theme song! I don't skip opening/ending credits. I DO skip the previews, though, since they totally spoil the upcoming episode!

Good times.
Yes I do the same after the end theme song.  However I Now skip the opening song as well. :(  - see warning/spoiler below

SPOILER ABOUT THE OPENING THEME SONG HERE - Hidden becuase it is tied to the story, the spoiler won't give away plot or anything but if your a purest I hid it: the theme song and title screen change at episode 26 to Heavy Metal Lgaim - mark 2( season two) and the new song stinks, stinks bad
NW: Hey, I made it on this psycho's Enemies' List, how about that ?? ;)
BT: Look at how the fake SFII' carts instantly sold out and were immediately listed on eBay before the flippers even took possession. Look at Nintendo's overpriced bricks. Look at the typical forum discussions elsewhere. You can't tell most retro gamers anything!

esteban

Quote from: turboswimbz on 08/23/2013, 09:10 AM
Quote from: esteban on 08/22/2013, 10:37 PM
Quote from: turboswimbz on 08/22/2013, 08:40 AMI'm up into the 20's now.  damn L-gaim gets even better.  the story really builds through the first 15 episodes, and the artwork/battle screens are worth while. 
I just started Episode 9. I'm totally diggin' this.  :pcgs:

Good times.
Yes I do the same after the end theme song.  However I Now skip the opening song as well. :(  - see warning/spoiler below

SPOILER ABOUT THE OPENING THEME SONG HERE - Hidden becuase it is tied to the story, the spoiler won't give away plot or anything but if your a purest I hid it: the theme song and title screen change at episode 26 to Heavy Metal Lgaim - mark 2( season two) and the new song stinks, stinks bad
OK, I couldn't stop myself from reading that! Thankfully, it's the ending credit song I frggin' love the most.  :pcgs:

I'm up to episode 14(?) now. It's just getting better.

VenomMacbeth

Not sure if this falls under "good" anime, but has anyone else had their eyes on the Cho Kosoku Galvion box set?  I really want to see the series, but alas, I still don't know the moon language...
Quote from: Gogan on 08/01/2013, 09:54 AMPlay Turbografx.
Play the Turbografx. PLAY
THE TURBOGRAFX!!!!!!

Buh buh buh, I have almost all teh games evar.  I R TEH BESTEST COLLECTR!!

ParanoiaDragon

We just got a free 2 month trial for Hulu Plus thru our Wii.  I'm surprised at the mass of Anime they have on there, even stuff from the 80's & possibly 70's.  If no one has Hulu Plus, it might be worth checking out.  Though, I'm a bit pissed.  As I've admitted before, I'm a huge fan of Naruto(mainly the whole underdog theme, where he continues to overcome adversity appeals to me).  I'm in Naruto Shippuden at the moment, but I only watched dubbed.  Call me a dub Nazi if you like, I only do subtitles if there's no dub at all.  In any case, I was all excited that I could just watch it on Hulu, instead of random websites of dubious nature.....& it's all friggin' subtitled!  The main website says the dub is not available at this time, BOOOOOOOOOOO says me! :P
IMG

SignOfZeta

IMG

Ji-L87

I think that's the first time I've seen someone complain about subs, instead of the reverse... :mrgreen:

(I'm too weeaboo for dubs)
CHECKPOINT!
Quote from: esteban on 09/23/2012, 01:40 AMThere is a perverted Japanese businessman in every Swiss PCE fan.

ParanoiaDragon

Really?  I see people complaining about subs all the time....weird.  Whether it be anime or kung fu movies, subs are annoying for me to handle.  I find myself being distracted from seeing the visual aspect, especially in any kind of high action anime, or kung fu.  While I hate subs, I do deal with it when there's no other choice, as something, is better then nothing! :)
IMG

Ji-L87

I always want subs, even in times where the original work is in english because, listening comprehension and all that, I feel like I'm missing stuff otherwise.

Seriously, I'm horrible at remembering what people say when they talk to me, I need to write things down too. :mrgreen:
CHECKPOINT!

xcrement5x

I'm a sub fan too, but I will watch dubs occasionally. The problem is my hearing is kind of bad so with dubs I either need to crank the sound up super high or still have subtitles on anyway :P

geise

Watched Dagger of Kamui for the first time in 23 years.

esteban

Quote from: geise on 08/26/2013, 03:47 PMWatched Dagger of Kamui for the first time in 23 years.
I don't know if I've seen that. Doesn't ring a bell.

SignOfZeta

IMG

bartre

finished watching carnival phantasm the other day; a fun little diversion, but not much more.
that said, i thought this was funny:
also, started watching digimon, because i am a child.

ParanoiaDragon

Quote from: guest on 08/26/2013, 01:00 PMI'm a sub fan too, but I will watch dubs occasionally. The problem is my hearing is kind of bad so with dubs I either need to crank the sound up super high or still have subtitles on anyway :P
Occasionally I'll have the subtitles on for shows I've seen before, like Dragon Ball Z, just to see how different the dub is from the sub.
IMG

TR0N

Quote from: esteban on 08/26/2013, 07:53 PM
Quote from: geise on 08/26/2013, 03:47 PMWatched Dagger of Kamui for the first time in 23 years.
Classic ninja anime flick but it's a long movie whew !!
It was released in the u.s on vhs&dvd,but it has since long gone out of print.
IMG
PSN:MrNeoGeo
Wii U:Progearspec

esteban

Quote from: TR0N on 08/27/2013, 02:40 AM
Quote from: esteban on 08/26/2013, 07:53 PM
Classic ninja anime flick but it's a long movie whew !!
It was released in the u.s on vhs&dvd,but it has since long gone out of print.
I watched 99% of my anime on VHS (pre-DVD), so it would have been the older NA version that was "highly edited" (...there is a good chance I've seen this, I'll have to check it out to see if I remember it).

SignOfZeta

I first saw it as "Revenge of the Ninja Warrior" on good old FHE video around...I want to say 1988. As far as terrible 80s dub/edit jobs go it wasn't bad at all. The action was still in tact, and that was the best part.
IMG

Digi.k

I kinda like Freedom Project, short 7 episodes of what seems to be an anime version of Logan's Run. Set in the future where people habitat on the moon and the anime is sponsored by nissin cup noodles so expect to see lots of advertising..

i1.wp.com/www.animecion.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/07/freedomproject-3xl.jpg?resize=540%2C304

All the art and animation seems to be done with cgi too.

IMG

DragonmasterDan

Quote from: SignOfZeta on 08/22/2013, 09:38 PMConan is amazing. That scene near the beginning where he's crying and...is he digging a grave or...I can't remember. Anyway, very emotional.
10 episodes in, great so far.
--DragonmasterDan

wildfruit

Quote from: Digi.k on 08/28/2013, 05:46 PMI kinda like Freedom Project, short 7 episodes of what seems to be an anime version of logan's run.
was one of the first blu rays i got. picture quality is great and i like the story

Nando

Quote from: Digi.k on 08/28/2013, 05:46 PMI kinda like Freedom Project, short 7 episodes of what seems to be an anime version of logan's run.
Set in the future where people habitat on the moon and the anime is sponsored by nissin cup noodles so expect to see lots of advertising..

i1.wp.com/www.animecion.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/07/freedomproject-3xl.jpg?resize=540%2C304

All the art and animation seems to be done with cgi too.
IMG
The art style reminds me of Katsuhiro Otomo's work (Akira.)

wildfruit

Quote from: Nando on 08/29/2013, 10:25 AMThe art style reminds me of Katsuhiro Otomo's work (Akira.)
he did the character design they are quite remenant of akira's characters but not so angry

xcrement5x

Otomo did do Freedom.  I second it as a very cool OVA to watch, I really enjoyed it.  Like wildfruit said though, if you can get ahold of a HD version it is totally the way to go.  The entire thing looks amazing, and you can see the advances they made after releasing Steamboy. 

cybercross

Quote from: Ji-L87 on 08/25/2013, 01:07 PMI think that's the first time I've seen someone complain about subs, instead of the reverse... :mrgreen:
When it comes to popular, nostalgic anime like Dragon Ball Z, YuYu Hakusho, Akira, Etc., this happens a LOT. You'll be surprised about how people bitch & moan about the original versions of these shows.

Quote from: Ji-L87 on 08/25/2013, 01:07 PM(I'm too weeaboo for dubs)
You and me both.

Ji-L87

Hrm....speaking of nostalgic, classic anime...
I just started watching City Hunter. Quite enjoying it so far, just seen ep. 19 of the first season.  I think I've avoided it before because it seemed a bit long and I wasn't sure I'd like it. I read a bit of the manga once and I wasn't head over heels (but I am a fan of some of his other works, like Family Compo) but I just remembered a guy I knew a few years back who said it was pretty much the best thing ever so I'm giving the anime a shot. And it's pretty good.

Will give the manga another shot later : )
CHECKPOINT!

DragonmasterDan

I just finished the final episode of Future Boy Conan. Absolutely stellar!
--DragonmasterDan