10/31/2023: Localization News - Dead of the Brain 1!

No, NOT a trick, a Halloween treat! Presenting the Dead of the Brain 1 English patch by David Shadoff for the DEAD last official PC Engine CD game published by NEC before exiting the console biz in 1999! I helped edit/betatest and it's also a game I actually finished in 2023, yaaay! Shubibiman also did a French localization. github.com/dshadoff/DeadoftheBrain
twitter.com/NightWolve/PCENews
Main Menu

The Anime Thread: Finding Good Anime

Started by DragonmasterDan, 07/08/2011, 12:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

johnnykonami

Quote from: guest on 09/18/2017, 04:21 PM
Quote from: johnnykonami on 09/18/2017, 02:55 PMNice, looks like you got a few more than I did!  I'll buy Movie 2 again also which I already have on DVD but is being re-released at some point soon by discotek, in hopes it would encourage the series to be re-released.
Beautiful Dreamer is an odd one, I enjoy it on many levels but it's so drastically different than the tone of the TV show that it's kind of hard to get into. I really need to be in a certain type of mindset to watch and enjoy it.
I agree with that, it's much less light-hearted for sure.

SignOfZeta

I find it the easiest to get into because I don't normally watch a lot of high school stuff.
IMG

Gypsy

I finished up the original Mobile Suit Gundam a few days ago. It was okay. Really ramped up in the last few episodes. Going to start 08th MS Team tonight.

Quote from: guest on 09/18/2017, 01:09 PM
Quote from: Medic_wheat on 09/18/2017, 12:35 PM
Quote from: johnnykonami on 09/18/2017, 11:35 AMGot the Ranma 1/2 Movies and OAV collection on Blu-ray to complete my Viz special edition set a couple days ago.  Still working my way through the series so I haven't watched it yet, I'm on set 4 I think.  I am still waiting for UY to get the same treatment and then I'm all over that too.
I did the same as to complete my Ranma 1/2 series.

UY?
I'm assuming he means Urusei Yatsura, you know, Lummy with the tiger stripe bikini and the horns?

I've love a UY TV box set myself but I think AnimEigo has lost the rights to it.
With the caveat that it's wiki, there is a list.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AnimEigo#Anime_Titles

And yeah, they lost UY.

ClodBusted

Today I noticed that living with a cosplaying girlfriend sometimes results in wig heads being randomly placed as decorative objects in the living room. :shock:

On another note, she posed as Eileen from Silent Hill 4, fake bruises and all. Shameless plug:

https://www.facebook.com/morninglorycosplay/photos/a.918824914829324.1073741838.873433509368465/1651316428246832/?type=3&theater

Winniez

Quote from: guest on 09/19/2017, 02:27 AMClodBusted A Real Powehouse
No Guts, No Glory
Anytime Baby!
Being Nuts Is Neat
Way Out Running!
:)

I have never been a huge fan of anime but grown to somewhat appreciate it. Just recently watched the Ace Attorney series on Crunchyroll. Too bad their selection for my country is very lacking, propably better in the US. Enjoyable series anyway.

DragonmasterDan

Though I've seen it many times before. I watched The Castle of Cagliostro in a Cinema for the first time this evening
--DragonmasterDan

Gypsy

Quote from: DragonmasterDan on 09/19/2017, 10:20 PMThough I've seen it many times before. I watched The Castle of Cagliostro in a Cinema for the first time this evening
Nice. I don't think it was happening anywhere close enough for me to go. I did watch the blu recently though.

NightWolve

Thought I'd pass along a Studio Ghibli ad I ran into the other day. Hm, I guess I haven't seen this yet...

QuoteFrom the legendary Studio Ghibli comes NAUSICAƄ OF THE VALLEY OF THE WIND, considered by many to be Oscar-winning director Hayao Miyazaki's masterwork. This epic tale of warring clans, heroism and future worlds ranks not only among the finest animated films, but also among the finest works of science fiction
https://www.facebook.com/GKIDSfilms/videos/10155730577576880/

IMG

xcrement5x

First Lupin and now Nausicaa!  How cool!

DragonmasterDan

Quote from: guest on 09/21/2017, 12:41 PMFirst Lupin and now Nausicaa!  How cool!
It's like the episode of Lupin where Nausicaa rides around in one of the robots from Castle in the Sky.

IMG

IMG
--DragonmasterDan

xcrement5x

So I watched The Eccentric Family on Crunchyroll recently (both seasons) and it was a cute well executed little show.  Nothing amazing animation wise (what is up with the ears) but the premise is fun and the characters are diverse and given decent backstory/characteristics. 

SignOfZeta

Nausicaa is my favorite movie ever. Lately my 2.5 year old kid has gotten into it, but only through the soundtracks. He hasn't seen the movie yet but he loves Joe Hisaishi I guess (kind of like a Japanese Vangelis) and he loves the covers of the albums (which were all Miyazaki watercolors back then since there was to "Ghibli staff artist" team to do them). Weird.
IMG

DragonmasterDan

Quote from: SignOfZeta on 11/06/2017, 04:19 PMNausicaa is my favorite movie ever. Lately my 2.5 year old kid has gotten into it, but only through the soundtracks. He hasn't seen the movie yet but he loves Joe Hisaishi I guess (kind of like a Japanese Vangelis) and he loves the covers of the albums (which were all Miyazaki watercolors back then since there was to "Ghibli staff artist" team to do them). Weird.
In the Summer they were doing digital screenings of various Ghibli movies (Yes, I'm aware Nausicaa is technically a Topcraft production and not Ghibli) and Nausicaa was among them. Any chance you got to see it on the big screen?
--DragonmasterDan

xcrement5x

Quote from: SignOfZeta on 11/06/2017, 04:19 PMNausicaa is my favorite movie ever. Lately my 2.5 year old kid has gotten into it, but only through the soundtracks. He hasn't seen the movie yet but he loves Joe Hisaishi I guess (kind of like a Japanese Vangelis) and he loves the covers of the albums (which were all Miyazaki watercolors back then since there was to "Ghibli staff artist" team to do them). Weird.
Yeah, my 4 year old loves Totoro like to the ends of the earth at this point.  It's funny that since she's just used to the English version of the opening (and she sings it all the time) the JP version really puts her off as the "wrong words".

Gypsy

Nausicaa is pretty enjoyable. Ran into some people on another forum that hated it. I was surprised but there is always someone that hates something I suppose.

Quote from: guest on 11/06/2017, 04:54 PMYeah, my 4 year old loves Totoro like to the ends of the earth at this point.  It's funny that since she's just used to the English version of the opening (and she sings it all the time) the JP version really puts her off as the "wrong words".
Heh. At least the English dubs for Ghibli stuff are generally quite good. I've watched the dub and sub for all that I've seen.

SignOfZeta

I didn't see Nausicaa this summer. I was too exhausted. It will return though, GKids will go broke selling only BRs. We did see Totoro though, which my kid loves. He loves Mei specifically. My kid also has a preference for the English dub but specifically the Fox/Macek one since that's what's on the LD box and that's where he first saw the movie. He has his own BR now.

His favorite overall thing is Loony Toons and trucks. Anything with trucks. Trucks trucks trucks trucks.
IMG

Gypsy

Are they really not selling dvd versions or including them with the blu? I haven't looked at all since I have the Disney release of all the ones I want.

SignOfZeta

I have no idea and I didn't mean to imply otherwise. It's just that, from what I've heard, Ghibli more or less ensures their US licensed will issue to theaters by charging so much that home video alone won't pay the bill. They also don't do streaming.

I consider the DVD ver a "backup copy" so I'd prefer they kept up with that system. I'll buy them all again just get have the Disney stank scrubbed off them though.
IMG

xcrement5x

We still have the DVD version of Totoro.  I wish I'd known they were doing a theater showing of the film as I'd have loved to take my daughter to it, looks like it was back in June apparently. 

DragonmasterDan

Quote from: guest on 11/07/2017, 12:39 PMWe still have the DVD version of Totoro.  I wish I'd known they were doing a theater showing of the film as I'd have loved to take my daughter to it, looks like it was back in June apparently. 
I have the Blu-Ray that came in the Miyazaki box set which just has the Disney dub and subs.
--DragonmasterDan

SignOfZeta

Ok, maybe you're confusing me now. Are you saying it has no original track? If so, fuck that release totally. If you mean it lacks the Fox dub, that's to be assumed. Only Discotek spends money rescuing vintage dubs (and bless them for it). Disney isn't going to use a lofi mono dub from 1994 (even if the songs are better and the dad cooler).
IMG

DragonmasterDan

Quote from: SignOfZeta on 11/07/2017, 06:18 PMOk, maybe you're confusing me now. Are you saying it has no original track? If so, fuck that release totally. If you mean it lacks the Fox dub, that's to be assumed. Only Discotek spends money rescuing vintage dubs (and bless them for it). Disney isn't going to use a lofi mono dub from 1994 (even if the songs are better and the dad cooler).
It has the original Japanese audio. But the subtitles are closer to dubtitles.
--DragonmasterDan

Medic_wheat

So I just found Mushi-shi volume 1 & 2 today. I picked them up remembering he much I enjoyed the series. Back in my pireate bay days. I am sure if I looked through my various USB External HDD's I might find the. Series I downloaded.

I watched the episodes in the two DVD's. I really like the cardbored slip case I looked on eBay to see how many volumes there are.

What I learned.

Mushi-shi is 26 episodes from funimation. 6 dvd set. For some reason Volume 3 is trending at $90 plus where Volume 4-6 can be had for around $45 all together on seperate lots. Or a ultimate collectors edition on eBay for $200 of all six slip cover DVDs. Or a SAVE Edition (I never liked the SAVE collections looks but their prices love them) for $34-45.

Then I learned there are two OVA's a second season and a movie that ends the series. However all of that is licensed by Anipolex from 2014. However I can't tell if there is a dub of it and there appears to be ZERO NA dvd/Blu-ray release of it. It would seem I'd need a Crunchyroll account.

And I am now swiftly reminded why I torrented a shit ton of Anime. lol.

Gypsy

SignOfZeta

Quote from: DragonmasterDan on 11/07/2017, 08:41 PM
Quote from: SignOfZeta on 11/07/2017, 06:18 PMOk, maybe you're confusing me now. Are you saying it has no original track? If so, fuck that release totally. If you mean it lacks the Fox dub, that's to be assumed. Only Discotek spends money rescuing vintage dubs (and bless them for it). Disney isn't going to use a lofi mono dub from 1994 (even if the songs are better and the dad cooler).
It has the original Japanese audio. But the subtitles are closer to dubtitles.
Ah, that's weird. I wouldn't really care. I watch most anime raw anyway so really just any kind of translation works. I only need some help.
IMG

Medic_wheat

Quote from: Gypsy on 11/07/2017, 09:58 PMThe save set is $17 brand new from amazon dot com.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B005HVWWB2/ref=tmm_dvd_new_olp_sr?ie=UTF8&condition=new&qid=1510109829&sr=8-1
Hey thanks that's. Sweet sweet price. Maybe in payday (next Friday not this Friday) I can order it.

xcrement5x

The Disney dub for Totoro is actually quite well done in my opinion, and I've watched it MANY times at this point.  I think it helps that the actresses for the dub are sisters in real life as well which seems to add a bit to it. 

@Medic
Mushishi is a neat series, I've got the version you actually didn't mention.  In between the singles box set and the SAVE edition they did a slimpack with a nested case.  It looks like this:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Mushishi-Mushi-Shi-Complete-Box-Set-4-Disc-DVD-Set-Funimation-COMPLETE-TESTED/263299053478

My wife was saying the manga is also incredibly expensive now as well for some volumes.  With Aniplex taking the rights back it means everything will be expensive though.  I watched Season 2 on Crunchyroll, I believe they still have free/ad supported accounts as well but I'm not sure.  If you watch enough anime it's totally worth the money though, they have a lot of variety. 

Gypsy

SignOfZeta

There's nothing wrong with the Disney dub of Totoro (although you can sure find people complaining about it online...) its just that the Macek version is better and I was very familiar with it for many years before Disney released theirs.

Why the Macek version is better is, to me, two things.

The songs are sung by a woman who sounds like a kindergarten teacher and the Disney version sounds more "belted out" or kinda Hanna Montana-informed. Pop starish. Loud. I like whatever grandma sang the Fox version more. She understood the quiet nature of the movie better.

The dad has some dialog that makes him sound cooler and this is key since the dad being cool, a gateway between the forest magic and the kids, is absolutely key.

I have no opinion which is more accurate and I don't care, it's for the kids. I don't usually watch translated anime.

The biggest problem with this and all Macek dubs is the sound quality which is muddy and mono which really hurts the sections with more expansive music. I wonder if anyone has the tapes...I would love  I make 5.1 ver of the Macek dub.
IMG

TR0N

I been watching fist of the north star tv series recently the bluray edition.I never got to watch the whole series fully and now i see how ridiculous the show can get.One of the most manly anime to be produce they sure don't make them like this any more.
IMG
PSN:MrNeoGeo
Wii U:Progearspec

Digi.k

SignOfZeta

Gundam Origin V showed up today. IMO stretching Loam out to two hour long eps is not a great idea (series was extended from 5 to 6 eps) but we'll see.
IMG

ClodBusted

Last month, I finally got around starting to watch the SDC Orguss DVDs from Discotek. I've been through the first five episodes so far and glad that the production value, animation wise, seems to be higher than compared to SDF Macross, SDC Southern Cross and GC Mospeada. I like it so far. And Mimsy is ONE DAMN SEXY BITCH.
When browsing through the PCE games catalogue, I got intrigued by Bakuretsu Hunters. Turned out this was released as Sorcerer Hunters by ADV USA. Oh, those titties. Did anybody of you watched this yet and could please tell me if this is worth for an old hog that's used to watch hand drawn and cel-colored animation of the 80s to late 90s?

Arkhan Asylum

ORGUSSSSSSSSS

*dndnnnnnnnn*

ORRRGGGUSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

This "max-level forum psycho" (:lol:) destroyed TWO PC Engine groups in rage: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook "Because Chris 'Shadowland' Runyon!," then the other by Aaron Nanto "Because Le NightWolve!" Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together... Both times he blamed the Aarons in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged, destructive, toxic turbo troll gang!

ClodBusted

Arkhan Asylum

lol that reminds me of this one time I shouted out

FAGFORMERS

ROBOTS IN SOME GUYS

and my friend almost choked to death on pizza from laughing at me.
This "max-level forum psycho" (:lol:) destroyed TWO PC Engine groups in rage: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook "Because Chris 'Shadowland' Runyon!," then the other by Aaron Nanto "Because Le NightWolve!" Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together... Both times he blamed the Aarons in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged, destructive, toxic turbo troll gang!

Gypsy

Watched Lupin the 3rd The Plot Of The Fuma Clan. It was pretty enjoyable. Lots of laughs.

TR0N

I'm still watching FOTNS tv series on bluray.On the second season now.Though this is where the show has more dumb plots and villains but enjoyable.Still the most manly anime that was ever produce.
IMG
PSN:MrNeoGeo
Wii U:Progearspec

Medic_wheat

I have just finished watching the anime "Erased". Man was it good. I love thriller mystery stories. Especially when I can't guess the twist on who the killer is. I wish the Blu-ray wasn't so expensive. Aniplex strikes again lol.

Gypsy

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/madoverlord/riding-bean-high-octane-edition-anime-blu-ray/posts/2061743

Next blu-ray from these guys will be Gunsmith Cats. The old DVD of this is pretty overpriced but the biggest thing for me with this is they are now releasing something that wasn't in their old catalog.

ClodBusted

Thanks Gypsy for letting us know. I like the GSC manga better than the animation, but it is still very entertaining.
Quote from: guest on 12/01/2017, 04:57 PMWhen browsing through the PCE games catalogue, I got intrigued by Bakuretsu Hunters. Turned out this was released as Sorcerer Hunters by ADV USA. Oh, those titties. Did anybody of you watched this yet and could please tell me if this is worth for an old hog that's used to watch hand drawn and cel-colored animation of the 80s to late 90s?
Oh well, I just won the 7-DVD-collection from a UK based seller for around 32 pounds. So I'll let you guys know how it holds up.

Gypsy

You're welcome. I'm definitely going to buy it.

I just grabbed Lupin First Contact off Amazon, heard it's pretty good.

DragonmasterDan

Quote from: Gypsy on 12/01/2017, 09:56 PMWatched Lupin the 3rd The Plot Of The Fuma Clan. It was pretty enjoyable. Lots of laughs.
Great animation in it, but the weird voice cast and lack of Yuji Ohno music makes it a little strange.
--DragonmasterDan

Gypsy

Yeah I'd like to see a bluray of it at some point. I was excited to see that not only is Gold Babylon getting released, but it will have a bluray in addition to the dvd. Not the best Lupin movie but it didn't need to be stuck on VHS and LD.  :lol:

DragonmasterDan

Quote from: Gypsy on 12/04/2017, 08:25 AMYeah I'd like to see a bluray of it at some point. I was excited to see that not only is Gold Babylon getting released, but it will have a bluray in addition to the dvd. Not the best Lupin movie but it didn't need to be stuck on VHS and LD.  :lol:
Gold Babylon isn't bad.

But you have to be a fan of Series 3 to really enjoy it.
--DragonmasterDan

Gypsy

It's okay. I'll def be buying the bluray.

xcrement5x

Quote from: Gypsy on 12/03/2017, 10:13 AMhttps://www.kickstarter.com/projects/madoverlord/riding-bean-high-octane-edition-anime-blu-ray/posts/2061743

Next blu-ray from these guys will be Gunsmith Cats. The old DVD of this is pretty overpriced but the biggest thing for me with this is they are now releasing something that wasn't in their old catalog.
I got the email about this as well, super exciting!  Will probably back it when it shows up as well as they have been doing a really solid job on their Kickstarter releases.

DragonmasterDan

Quote from: Gypsy on 12/03/2017, 06:48 PMYou're welcome. I'm definitely going to buy it.

I just grabbed Lupin First Contact off Amazon, heard it's pretty good.
First contact is decent if you want to watch non-canon Lupin gang origin story #2872
--DragonmasterDan

Gypsy

Heh. With super long running anime I tend to not really worry about what is and isn't canon. I actually didn't even know that was the case though so thanks.

SignOfZeta

Quote from: SignOfZeta on 11/14/2017, 08:11 PMGundam Origin V showed up today. IMO stretching Loam out to two hour long eps is not a great idea (series was extended from 5 to 6 eps) but we'll see.
Well, I was wrong to doubt. Origin V is one of the best Gundam episodes ever. I've finally warmed up to this series which is due to end at VI.
IMG