RIP to BT Garner of MindRec.com... He passed away early 2023 from health problems. BT was one of the top PCE homebrew developers and founder of the OG Turbo List, then PCECP.com. Condolences to family and friends.
IMG
IMG
Main Menu

What are you currently listening to?

Started by geise, 10/27/2011, 07:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

esteban

At this precise moment (2:00 am):

Creeper - Benjamin Damage and Doc Daneeka
IMGIMG IMG  |  IMG  |  IMG IMG

ParanoiaDragon

Listening to Freestyle Fellowship's latest album The Promise, & it's off the HIZZAY!!  :D  No, but seriously, this has got to be one of the best albums I've heard in a loong looooong time, I'm quite pleased with it.  Also picked up Evidence:Cat's & Dog's & J-Live's S.P.T.A., but haven't listened to them yet, though I'm sure they'll be dope knowing them!
IMG

esteban

At precisely 1:23 am:

IMG

Love that song. Stars ain't too shabby.

Quote from: SignOfZeta on 10/28/2011, 10:45 PMLately I've been into the newest albums from Astronautalis, Iron Maiden, Fucked Up, Patton Oswalt, and Erasure. Looking forward to the new Doomtree and Gift of Gab.
Damn, I must be a few albums behind on Erasure. Love them. I'll eventually catch up. I think I'm behind with the Pet Shop Boys, too (assuming they're still putting stuff out).

The newest Maiden I have is the one with a shattered astronaut helmet.

snickersbar

iv be listening too rise against laty

munchiaz

coldplay pandora station. plays stuff like the beattles, simon and garfunkle,radio head, and coldplay of course

geise

Currently listening to Joe Satriani's recent album.  Very nice and with Mike Keneally (Zappa fame) on keys.  It's a great album.

munchiaz

^ im going to have to check this out. Saw him in concert with eric johnson a few years back and it was awesome.

Now im listening to my lupe fiasco pandora station

Vecanti

SuperPlay

Today's tunes have been coming courtesy of YES

SignOfZeta

Quote from: esteban on 12/18/2011, 01:23 AM
Quote from: SignOfZeta on 10/28/2011, 10:45 PMLately I've been into the newest albums from Astronautalis, Iron Maiden, Fucked Up, Patton Oswalt, and Erasure. Looking forward to the new Doomtree and Gift of Gab.
Damn, I must be a few albums behind on Erasure. Love them. I'll eventually catch up. I think I'm behind with the Pet Shop Boys, too (assuming they're still putting stuff out).
In many ways Erasure is the best they've ever been, but I think most of their fans gave up after the one-two punch of the cover album and the live album. Those two were...not so good. Their last four regular albums were really good though.

Pet Shop Boys aren't putting out as many "regular" albums as they used to. The last one was Yes (2009) which was...uneven. Some great songs, some other stuff that wouldn't pass as a b-side for them back in the day. Mainly everything from them lately is just too damned soft. I don't need a CD from them with 5 ballads on it. They are also doing stuff like soundtracks for ballets, Battleship Potemkin, etc witch is really cool, but again, not my thing.
IMG

SMF

Currently I'm listening to DevilDriver The Last Kind Words. Gets the blood pumping and its one hell of a CD.
Welcome to Prime Time B!tch

T2KFreeker

END OF LINE.

T2KFreeker

Anthrax - The Devil You Know (New Song from Worship Music)
END OF LINE.

munchiaz

esteban

Quote from: SignOfZeta on 12/18/2011, 05:26 PM
Quote from: esteban on 12/18/2011, 01:23 AM
In many ways Erasure is the best they've ever been, but I think most of their fans gave up after the one-two punch of the cover album and the live album. Those two were...not so good. Their last four regular albums were really good though.

Pet Shop Boys aren't putting out as many "regular" albums as they used to. The last one was Yes (2009) which was...uneven. Some great songs, some other stuff that wouldn't pass as a b-side for them back in the day. Mainly everything from them lately is just too damned soft. I don't need a CD from them with 5 ballads on it. They are also doing stuff like soundtracks for ballets, Battleship Potemkin, etc witch is really cool, but again, not my thing.
Awesome, thanks for the scoop. I think we see eye-to-eye on this stuff (seriously!) so I'll just throw out a general "I concur" because I was nodding my head with every point you made.

It's funny, because I feel that Erasure, PSB, (let's throw Depeche Mode in there, too) have created some truly fantastic stuff after their 1980's height of popularity.

Anyway, I looked briefly at the Erasure and PSB discographies (plural spelling?) and I was relieved that only a handful of proper albums were released. This makes it much easier to catch up with.

Generally, I have never been too excited by albums chock full o' cover songs (be it Bowie, Erasure, Duran Duran, etc.)... but Martin Gore's EP (Counterfeit) is truly a gem (I'm betting you may have heard it already). I wish all cover songs could get my juices flowing like these tracks.

Also, to come full-circle: I remember really liking (OK, loving) Erasure's Abba homage (I ate it up when it was originally released). However, I must admit that I don't think think these Abba covers are nearly as great these days...perhaps because I now wish the covers were more inspired/creative...

Also, I wasn't as familiar with Abba back when I first heard Erasure's covers.

[end of tangent]

:)

Back on topic: I have to get some new (to me) music.

SMF

Welcome to Prime Time B!tch

esteban

At this precise moment (9:14 PM), I am listening to:

IMG

blueraven

The Specials, Noisettes, Bad Brains, Operation Ivy, The Buzzcocks, The Damned, and the new record by Tom Waits.

Arkhan Asylum

This "max-level forum psycho" (:lol:) destroyed TWO PC Engine groups in rage: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook "Because Chris 'Shadowland' Runyon!," then the other by Aaron Nanto "Because Le NightWolve!" Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together... Both times he blamed the Aarons in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged, destructive, toxic turbo troll gang!

esteban

Quote from: blueraven on 12/29/2011, 04:51 AMThe Specials, Noisettes, Bad Brains, Operation Ivy, The Buzzcocks, The Damned, and the new record by Tom Waits.
Random thoughts based on the list of bands:

Try Fun Boy 3 (1982) when you're sick of rut The Specials get themselves into (hey, I love 'em, don't worry, it's just refreshing to see Mr. Youknowho doing something so awesome like Fun Boy 3). Sadly, the other FB3 stuff is major suckage (barring an odd track here or there).

Speaking of "only one awesome album", Bad Brains fell into it as well. I Against I is one of the best albums of all time, by any band. Love that. If only they were able to harness 25% of that greatness and have some other decent releases.

Operation Ivy = Mario Kart because I used to play entire albums when playing marathon sessions on the SNES with family/friends. Negative Approach, All, Bold, Stevie Wonder, Depeche Mode, Yaz, Human League, Born Against, Moss Icon, Man is the Bastard, Gary Numan, Smiths, Talking Heads, etc. were all soundtracks for Mario Kart.

Yeah, I put too many hours into that game.

Strawberries is the best album by the Damned. Believe it. One of the best albums of all time.

I can't say much about the Buzzcocks because they have a billion songs. I know a decent amount of their catalog, but I still feel like I have a lot to discover, still, after all these years. Back in the day, I would usually put down a Buzzcocks album and pick up something else instead (like, say, The Fall) and I never did get around to checking out the Buzzcocks.

blueraven

Quote from: esteban on 12/29/2011, 01:36 PMwhen you're sick of rut The Specials get themselves into
It's really hard for me to get sick of ska or reggae. The former usually evolves into the latter.

Quote from: esteban on 12/29/2011, 01:36 PMSpeaking of "only one awesome album", Bad Brains fell into it as well. I Against I is one of the best albums of all time, by any band. Love that. If only they were able to harness 25% of that greatness and have some other decent releases.
Yes, HR is a serious badass. Even if he is a bit crazy, the Brains is always one hell of an experience to see.

Quote from: esteban on 12/29/2011, 01:36 PMOperation Ivy = Mario Kart because I used to play entire albums when playing marathon sessions on the SNES with family/friends.
Great album to play Mario Kart to. That game also had endless replay value and has had more "mixtapes" made in its honor than most 16 bit cartridges.

Quote from: esteban on 12/29/2011, 01:36 PMStrawberries is the best album by the Damned. Believe it. One of the best albums of all time.
Two in a night!! Yes, Machine Gun Etiquette (1979) is my favorite Damned record by Captain Sensible, Rat Scabies and crew. They have the bass player for Souxie and The Banshees now. I saw them on Halloween in 2007 with Tiger Army Opening (meh) and I nearly blew my eardrums it was so loud. 

Quote from: esteban on 12/29/2011, 01:36 PMI can't say much about the Buzzcocks because they have a billion songs. I know a decent amount of their catalog, but I still feel like I have a lot to discover, still, after all these years.
Go get "Singles Going Steady" <--- Most important. As far as later stuff "A Different Kind Of Tension" is essential listening, as a lot of modern punk bands have pointed to it as a major inspiration. This was right before the band broke up in 1986. Then the S/T release from 2007: Buzzcocks is awesome as well.

:D

munchiaz

some awesome hold music while im at work. It sounds like Al Dimiola

geise

A great band from Chicago called Russian Circles.  Great instrumental stuff.  Really need the headphones for full effect.  Way off from what I normally listen to.

bartre

I've been entranced with some Justice lately, but I stumbled on this:

geise

Rockin' to some more Joe Satriani.  He's usually in my cd player.  This is one of my favorites of his recent work.  The man sure as hell knows how to play and write emotional instrumental music.

roflmao

Currently listening to the audio CD that came with Deathsmiles. 

If you hadn't heard, newegg.com has the "limited edition" version of Deathsmiles for the XBOX360 for $14.99 shipped.  My copy arrived today.  Aside from the pervy lolita anime chicks, the game is crazy awesome.  The atmosphere (and music) remind me of Castlevania: SOTN.

SuperPlay

Been giving Arkhan's Insanity Reboot Soundtrack another blast today :@)

Lilgrafx

Youth Lagoon, probable my favorite band.

MotherGunner

Quote from: guest on 01/12/2012, 09:09 PMCurrently listening to the audio CD that came with Deathsmiles. 

If you hadn't heard, newegg.com has the "limited edition" version of Deathsmiles for the XBOX360 for $14.99 shipped.  My copy arrived today.  Aside from the pervy lolita anime chicks, the game is crazy awesome.  The atmosphere (and music) remind me of Castlevania: SOTN.
Man that is one sweet game and soundtrack.  I put this on my buy list.
-MG

SI VIS PACEM, PARA BELLUM (If you want peace, Prepare for war)
SI VIS BELLUM, PARA MATRIMONIUM (If you want war, Prepare for marriage)

esteban

Quote from: blueraven on 01/04/2012, 06:28 AM
Quote from: esteban on 12/29/2011, 01:36 PMI can't say much about the Buzzcocks because they have a billion songs. I know a decent amount of their catalog, but I still feel like I have a lot to discover, still, after all these years.
Go get "Singles Going Steady" <--- Most important. As far as later stuff "A Different Kind Of Tension" is essential listening, as a lot of modern punk bands have pointed to it as a major inspiration. This was right before the band broke up in 1986. Then the S/T release from 2007: Buzzcocks is awesome as well.

:D
I don't think I have "A Different Kind of Tension"...but I must have listened to it at some point. Now I must get it :)

I think I have some old Peel Sessions record with the Buzzcocks, too, that I haven't listened to in eons. Problem is, I don't have my records player hooked up right now (three little kids + cat hair = danger for records). No excuse, though, I'll have to figure out some solution.

I have Machine Gun Etiquette, but it isn't my fave :( I wonder if my opinion of it has changed at all (this happens every now and then).

RANDOM SUGGESTION: Did you ever listen to Zounds? If you can find the CD discography, you should check it out. I think every song is golden. Great band.

UPDATE: I just looked online and it seems that some new material has been released--I don't know if it is any good. I thought they had been disbanded since the 80's. I'm gonna buy it now and see what it's like.

Digi.k

this thread needs updating XD

whale - hobo humpin slobo babe

roflmao

Wow, I haven't heard whale in, man, a dozen years or so.  Awesome!

geise

Around October of last year I  bought the new Iced Earth Album Dystopia.  It's a really good album.  I didn't care for the last two that much but this one is a back to basics album.  Stu Block (the new singer) is amazing.

Starfighter

Quote from: Digi.k on 01/18/2012, 08:50 PMwhale
Quote from: guest on 01/18/2012, 09:16 PMwhale
What the fuck? Haha, that was pretty surprising to see. Henrik Schyffert (guitar) is a comedian here in Sweden. Had no idea he used to be in a band.

roflmao

Been listening to Tom Waits: Bad as Me a lot lately.  Good stuff.

blueraven

Digi.k

1970's euro disco

sunny - boney M
also

Musique - keep on jumping.         both on my ipod

Digi.k

Quote from: guest on 01/12/2012, 09:09 PMCurrently listening to the audio CD that came with Deathsmiles. 

deathsmiles is an amazing lolita styled shmup

JoshTurboTrollX

just discovered Van Canto the other day.
half I'm amazed, and half I chuckle.
Jossshhhhh...Legendary TurboTrollX-16: He revenge-bans PCE Developers/Ys IV Localizers from PCE Facebook groups and destroyed 2 PC Engine groups: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook, then the other by Aaron Nanto!!! Josh and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together! Both times he blamed the Aarons and their staff in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner (extortion!), never himself nor his deranged, destructive, toxic turbo troll gang!

roflmao

Quote from: JoshTurboTrollX-16 on 02/19/2012, 05:32 PMjust discovered Van Canto the other day.
half I'm amazed, and half I chuckle.
I've never heard of 'em before.  They're a trip!

SignOfZeta

I've been listening to the new Neon Indian since hearing this one on the radio:
I'm kind of impressed by the length of this album. Most of his earlier stuff was shorter, but the quality is maintained.

Going to see Doomtree in concert this Wednesday. Excited about that.
IMG

esteban

Quote from: Digi.k on 02/19/2012, 04:50 PM1970's euro disco

sunny - boney M
also

Musique - keep on jumping.         both on my ipod
Ha! I totally dig Italo Disco and all related stuff :)

For Bony M, you gotta check out the insane "School Song" (??? I can't remember the real title. "Happy Song"???). There are different versions, and different videos, but it's a wonderfully awesome song with creepy undertones that you can't help but love.

UPDATE: Bony M - Happy Song

You may dig this: Moon Ray - Comanchero (Dig those ridiculous SFX/graphics!)

Quote from: SignOfZeta on 02/20/2012, 04:14 AMI've been listening to the new Neon Indian since hearing this one on the radio:
I'm kind of impressed by the length of this album. Most of his earlier stuff was shorter, but the quality is maintained.

Going to see Doomtree in concert this Wednesday. Excited about that.
I'm not instantly won over by that track, but it certainly piqued my interest and I'll have to check out other tracks by Neon Indian now. I like the vocals and minimal synth. The best part of the song, for me, is the discordant "noise" lead featured in 2-3 segments. I love the discordant + catchy poppy formula (early OMD did this well). It's an easy way to give pop an edge, and I love it. :pcgs:

If I had to guess, I would say Konami (NES Bayou Billy) was the source of the sample for the human punching/coughing sound.

The end of the track wraps things together nicely (I was afraid the composition was going to fall apart, unintentionally).

Time to listen to the track a second time :pcgs:.

Bernie

roflmao

esteban

IMG

PSG in all its PCE glory.

Believe IMG.

TR0N

IMG
PSN:MrNeoGeo
Wii U:Progearspec

esteban

roflmao

Love it!  After a bit 'o googling, I found that they released the EP with this track for free here: http://www.powergloveaudio.com/ep1.html

Oh, and until this little distraction, I was listening to Pixies - Bossanova  :dance:

JoshTurboTrollX

Jossshhhhh...Legendary TurboTrollX-16: He revenge-bans PCE Developers/Ys IV Localizers from PCE Facebook groups and destroyed 2 PC Engine groups: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook, then the other by Aaron Nanto!!! Josh and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together! Both times he blamed the Aarons and their staff in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner (extortion!), never himself nor his deranged, destructive, toxic turbo troll gang!