RIP to BT Garner of MindRec.com... He passed away early 2023 from health problems. BT was one of the top PCE homebrew developers and founder of the OG Turbo List, then PCECP.com. Condolences to family and friends.
IMG
IMG
Main Menu

Castlevania series coming to Netflix

Started by seieienbu, 02/08/2017, 04:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

seieienbu

http://io9.gizmodo.com/netflix-has-announced-a-castlevania-tv-show-for-2017-1792131221

The title of the article says just about everything that is known.  I think it would be cool if this did well and then you could have like, a different CV game or two be a different season.  You could have one of Trevor, Sypha, Grant, and Alucard teaming up.  Then another one of Simon thinking he killed Dracula only to find out that he's been cursed and needs to roam Transylvania to destroy the remnants of Dracula to end his suffering.  Dracula X could take place and then Symphony of the night, etc.  With as much lore as exists for the series and the excellent gothic/moody atmosphere I think this sounds rather exciting and am looking forward to hearing more.

As long as I'm posting stuff about Castlevania, here's an interview with a couple of the composers.
Current want list:  Bomberman 93

NecroPhile

That sounds like a horrible idea for a TV show.
Ultimate Forum Bully/Thief/Saboteur/Clone Warrior! BURN IN HELL NECROPHUCK!!!

SignOfZeta

Yeah, this is almost as fringe as a new Cloak and Dagger movie.

The reluctance to make new things is so so SOOOO powerful....producers would rather bank on something people barely remember at all than find tallented people they can trust.
IMG

seieienbu

I'll remain cautiously optimistic and hope for a good show to come out of this.  Not everything CV related will wind up being like Simon Belmont from Captain N.

Gredler

I hope each episode is a segment of the castle, typical stage from the game, with the finale focusing on a battle vs dracula, and each season being a different cast and setting a la american horror story / true detective.

SignOfZeta

The quality is irrelevant. I love Castlevania but I don't want the pup tent, the digital watch, the soap dish, the squirt gun, the collectable plate, the roda tree nut, or any of that other crap. I don't care to watch some Highlander: The Series grade TV show made on the opposite side of the planet and decades after my favorite CV games were made by totally uninvolved people, probably many of which weren't even born yet when the series debuted when I can just...play more Castlevania.

It's different when it's a shitty Ys OVA since those at least have significant connection to the main projects. This is supposedly being worked on by the same gross mofos rebooting Power Rangers.

On a scale of 1-10 for cultural impropriety and mediocre entrepreneurism, with 1 being Henry Darger and 2 being "Whalers on the moon" I give it:

7 - Uwe Boll Tax Shelter.
IMG

bartre

I'll try it.

I won't like it. but I'll try it.

that said, I do truly hope it ends up being good.

SuperDeadite

How will this even work?  It's one dude with a cursed whip killing shit, then killing dracula.  Even the later games really have minimal plot.  Unless they base this off of Lords of Shadow, which I never played lol.
Stronger Than Your Average Deadite

TheClash603

Quote from: SuperDeadite on 02/09/2017, 07:34 AMHow will this even work?  It's one dude with a cursed whip killing shit, then killing dracula.  Even the later games really have minimal plot.  Unless they base this off of Lords of Shadow, which I never played lol.
It's based on Castlevania 3, so at least it will be several guys with various weaponry killing lots of things.

ToyMachine78

It has potential. Netflix has consistently proven it can produce quality programming, and the CV universe has a lot to work with.

If you can make 7 seasons of people roaming the country side killing zombies, surely you can get a few kickass seasons of CV.

esteban

Why even brother calling this Castlevania?

I think it would have a better chance as a new franchise.

Yes, Castlevania has brand recognition ....but, the folks who will recognize this brand will have certain expectations (a range of expectations, actually), that would be difficult to satisfy.
IMGIMG IMG  |  IMG  |  IMG IMG

bob

Quote from: esteban on 02/09/2017, 12:12 PMWhy even brother calling this Castlevania?

Yes, Castlevania has brand recognition ....but, the folks who will recognize this brand will have certain expectations (a range of expectations, actually), that would be difficult to satisfy.
Like the first grim reaper is a bitch and all the villagers lie to you

ToyMachine78

I did read that it's going to be animated. That is a turn-off to me, but will make it easier to suit fans regarding the look of it.

SignOfZeta

From the AV Club today:

"Ellis is listed as a producer on the Netflix series, along with Adi Shankar (Dredd), who previously described this "super violent" Castlevania cartoon as "dark, satirical, and after a decade of propaganda it will flip the vampire sub-genre on its head.""

So yeah, fuck this stupid shit.
IMG

mitsuman

Quote from: SignOfZeta on 02/09/2017, 04:28 PMFrom the AV Club today:

"Ellis is listed as a producer on the Netflix series, along with Adi Shankar (Dredd), who previously described this "super violent" Castlevania cartoon as "dark, satirical, and after a decade of propaganda it will flip the vampire sub-genre on its head.""

Well maybe they are going to go back to Lost Boys type vampires and less Twilight type vampires. That's not all bad, right?

seieienbu

Quote from: mitsuman on 02/09/2017, 04:46 PM

Well maybe they are going to go back to Lost Boys type vampires and less Twilight type vampires. That's not all bad, right?
Or perhaps it will be similar to Vampire Hunter D.  I saw it back when I was in Junior high; it was full of characters/monsters being cut in pieces and dying in grotesque fashion.  It also made me seek out more Japanese cartoons because of the unique feel it had.

ToyMachine78

Quote from: seieienbu on 02/09/2017, 05:47 PM
Quote from: mitsuman on 02/09/2017, 04:46 PM

Or perhaps it will be similar to Vampire Hunter D.  I saw it back when I was in Junior high; it was full of characters/monsters being cut in pieces and dying in grotesque fashion.  It also made me seek out more Japanese cartoons because of the unique feel it had.
Shit yeah! I loved vampire Hunter D!

SignOfZeta

Apparently you haven't seen the new Power Rangers stuff. This isn't being handled by the creators of Vampire Hunter Fucking D for fuck's sake. It's in the hands of tone deaf hacks. D was a fluke result of the anime silver age, more or less. Great shit was coming once a week back then. This is not that.

Apparently it was previously in the hands of the Adventure Time studio but they never did anything with it, probaky for lack of a good idea.
IMG

ToyMachine78

Quote from: SignOfZeta on 02/09/2017, 06:42 PMApparently you haven't seen the new Power Rangers stuff. This isn't being handled by the creators of Vampire Hunter Fucking D for fuck's sake. It's in the hands of tone deaf hacks. D was a fluke result of the anime silver age, more or less. Great shit was coming once a week back then. This is not that.

Apparently it was previously in the hands of the Adventure Time studio but they never did anything with it, probaky for lack of a good idea.
Didn't say it was. I was just commenting that I really liked Vampire Hunter D For fucks sake.

SignOfZeta

Its pretty great. I gave my niece a Yoshitaka Amano art book for Xmas, the one that's easy to get and inexpensive  in the US, I can't remember the name, cheap American style quality. Anyway, in it they chose to include quite a bit of his D work. Its worth a look just for that.
IMG

munchiaz

Big CV fan, but not really anticipating this. I would rather just have a new GOOD CV game

DragonmasterDan

Quote from: seieienbu on 02/09/2017, 05:47 PMOr perhaps it will be similar to Vampire Hunter D.  I saw it back when I was in Junior high; it was full of characters/monsters being cut in pieces and dying in grotesque fashion.  It also made me seek out more Japanese cartoons because of the unique feel it had. 
Vampire Hunter D was one of the first (relatively unedited) anime movies I saw. And the first one to really wow me. I highly doubt this is going to be any sort of approximation of the quality of the original OVA.
--DragonmasterDan

geise

Quote from: SuperDeadite on 02/09/2017, 07:34 AMHow will this even work?  It's one dude with a cursed whip killing shit, then killing dracula.  Even the later games really have minimal plot.  Unless they base this off of Lords of Shadow, which I never played lol.
It would be better if it was just based off of Rusty instead and was put on Skinemax late friday/saturday nights.

Everyone knows of Rusty by now.

Galder

Quote from: esteban on 02/09/2017, 12:12 PMWhy even brother calling this Castlevania?

This. It is just getting ridiculous.

Gredler

While looking at IMDB for various star trek cast members to see what other stuff they did, I saw something very surprising... The actor who played Worf on Next Generation was also in a 2012 production of Castlevania! Wtf?!

Castlevania: Hymn of Blood
http://imdb.com/rg/an_share/title/title/tt2477294/

Anyone have any info on this? Looks like a failed pilot or something?

Gypsy

God damn it.

gheebee

Quote from: Gredler on 03/07/2017, 02:40 PMWhile looking at IMDB for various star trek cast members to see what other stuff they did, I saw something very surprising... The actor who played Word on Next Generation was also in a 2012 production of Castlevania! Wtf?!

Apparently it is a fan made web series:

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL99PCYdTX-vfJAP0zJHBjQd_q4DUyEKdI

I think the guy from Star Trek is in the second episode.

Gredler

Quote from: gheebee on 03/07/2017, 04:51 PMApparently it is a fan made web series:

Thanks for the explanation - I am surprised it goes on IMDB! Wow.. Has anyone watched it? I couldn't get far into it lol

esteban

Quote from: Gredler on 03/08/2017, 04:34 PM
Quote from: gheebee on 03/07/2017, 04:51 PMApparently it is a fan made web series:

Thanks for the explanation - I am surprised it goes on IMDB! Wow.. Has anyone watched it? I couldn't get far into it lol
Personally, I am afraid to watch.

But...I am a masochist at heart.

So, give me a day or two.

:)

ParanoiaDragon

Quote from: Gredler on 03/07/2017, 02:40 PMWhile looking at IMDB for various star trek cast members to see what other stuff they did, I saw something very surprising... The actor who played Word on Next Generation was also in a 2012 production of Castlevania! Wtf?!

Who is Word?  I don't recall his character on Next Generation.  Maybe he was on Deep Space Nine, still haven't seen that one yet.  Seriously though, I think you meant Worf?  I was confused at first, thinking it was    some minor character that I didn't remember! :D  Maybe a rapping alien? :)
IMG

Gentlegamer

IMG

Gredler

Quote from: ParanoiaDragon on 03/09/2017, 12:20 AMSeriously though, I think you meant Worf?  I was confused at first, thinking it was    some minor character that I didn't remember! :D  Maybe a rapping alien? :)
Thanks - good catch on the typo! :) Yeah I meant Worf - but a rapping alien might be a lot cooler :P

IMG

seieienbu

A trailer came out.  I continue to be cautiously optimistic that this will be something that I'll enjoy.

ToyMachine78

Anybody watch this yet? I just finished it. I think it's pretty good, but the season was way too short.

My only complaint is I didn't like how they cast Trevor, and I really dislike that they did not use any of the classic tunes that everyone loves.

I still think it has a lot of potential though.

Michirin9801

I watched it yesterday, I thought it was pretty good! Gory as f*** though, which I'm generally not a big fan of, but surprisingly it didn't really bother me in here...

I think it does Castlevania justice, but you see, I watched the Japanese dub with English subs, and there was a thing in the sub I watched that kinda bothered me is that every single action or sound is described in the subs, and I was like: "Really though? I can see that happening on the screen right now, you don't need to tell me that!" but it's not a deal-breaker...

Also, minor spoiler alert
Grant totally got shafted, and it ends on a cliffhanger...

End of Spoiler

seieienbu

Yeah, I watched all 4 episodes and was like "Wait, that's it?"  There's a second season coming that's another 4 episodes so perhaps Grant and nostalgia musics will be in said second season?  With only 4 episodes, it's hard to really cover a lot of ground.

TR0N

Quote from: seieienbu on 07/09/2017, 01:36 AMYeah, I watched all 4 episodes and was like "Wait, that's it?"  There's a second season coming that's another 4 episodes so perhaps Grant and nostalgia musics will be in said second season?  With only 4 episodes, it's hard to really cover a lot of ground.
That's the only thing i was disappointed with it being only four episodes.I wonder if the show was done on a budget for how short it was.
IMG
PSN:MrNeoGeo
Wii U:Progearspec

ParanoiaDragon

Quote from: Michirin9801 on 07/08/2017, 10:42 PMI watched it yesterday, I thought it was pretty good! Gory as f*** though, which I'm generally not a big fan of, but surprisingly it didn't really bother me in here...

I think it does Castlevania justice, but you see, I watched the Japanese dub with English subs, and there was a thing in the sub I watched that kinda bothered me is that every single action or sound is described in the subs, and I was like: "Really though? I can see that happening on the screen right now, you don't need to tell me that!" but it's not a deal-breaker...

End of Spoiler
I'm also no fan of gore, tend to get really annoyed with it.  That's actually holding me back from watching it since i heard it was way overdone.
IMG

esteban

Quote from: ParanoiaDragon on 07/09/2017, 03:32 AM
Quote from: Michirin9801 on 07/08/2017, 10:42 PMI watched it yesterday, I thought it was pretty good! Gory as f*** though, which I'm generally not a big fan of, but surprisingly it didn't really bother me in here...

End of Spoiler
I'm also no fan of gore, tend to get really annoyed with it.  That's actually holding me back from watching it since i heard it was way overdone.
Comrade, you have to watch it.

No, I haven't seen it yet.

But I want to be entertained by your discomfort.

Report back here, in explicit detail, the different ways you cringed and stressed out.

For example, yesterday, I inadvertently viewed a few seconds of Full House...one of the goriest, nastiest  displays of gruesome carnage ever put on screen: my ears *immediately* clogged up.

The overproduction of earwax, apparently, is a natural defense against carnage and gratuitous violence.

Thankfully, my guru provides me with special earwax cleaning kits (she anoints each box with the Mark of the Bat).

DragonmasterDan

I'm watching episode #2 right now
--DragonmasterDan

esteban

Quote from: DragonmasterDan on 07/09/2017, 08:09 AMI'm watching episode #2 right now
Be sure an Earwax Care Kit is within reach.

Michirin9801

Quote from: ParanoiaDragon on 07/09/2017, 03:32 AMI'm also no fan of gore, tend to get really annoyed with it.  That's actually holding me back from watching it since i heard it was way overdone.
Well, it can be a little much, like some of the imagery in the first episode literally looks like hell breaking loose, but episode 1 is about as bad as it gets in terms of gore, if you can get past that one you can easily handle the rest...

DragonmasterDan

Quote from: guest on 07/08/2017, 03:49 PMAnybody watch this yet? I just finished it. I think it's pretty good, but the season was way too short.

My only complaint is I didn't like how they cast Trevor, and I really dislike that they did not use any of the classic tunes that everyone loves.

I watched the first two episodes. While it has Castlevania characters, it doesn't feel like it inhabits the same world as the games do. A combination of the art style, background music and general feel make me think this was some sort of rejected FoxBOX pilot from a decade ago with adult language more so than something that was made from the ground up to be Castlevania 3 the anime.
--DragonmasterDan

ToyMachine78

Quote from: DragonmasterDan on 07/12/2017, 09:35 AM
Quote from: guest on 07/08/2017, 03:49 PMAnybody watch this yet? I just finished it. I think it's pretty good, but the season was way too short.

I watched the first two episodes. While it has Castlevania characters, it doesn't feel like it inhabits the same world as the games do. A combination of the art style, background music and general feel make me think this was some sort of rejected FoxBOX pilot from a decade ago with adult language more so than something that was made from the ground up to be Castlevania 3 the anime.
Well the art direction was obviously heavily influenced by the art from SOTN. Which I guess is ok, but SOTN has a completely different look and feel of the original trilogy. Also, the missing music is a huge missing piece for me.

James Rolfe had the same gripe... That it feels like something is missing, but he can't really put a finger ont what exactly.

https://youtu.be/no6x0KCOAU4

TheClash603

I watched it and I don't regret it, even though I didn't love it.  Some people said it ended too quick, I think the length was perfect.  Had I watched this Castlevania for 5 hours, I would've regretted it assuredly. It was just good enough to waste an hour and a half of my time.

I heard season 2 is going to be twice as long though.

Gredler

I liked it. Whip, crack, killing monsters, jumping over stuff. Not mindblowing but better than I expected for sure.

in99flames

I liked it. Ill be watching season 2
I am somebody's mommy!
----name that movie quote :)

Flare65

I liked it.  Will be watching any other episodes they release.  I really don't have much in the way of complaints other than there are not enough episodes.

technozombie

I liked it as well as my wife and 14 year old son. Honestly, it's not worse than some 90s\00s game to anime conversions. I think Trevor talked too much. I think Ryan Gosling Drive style minimalism would have been more appropriate, but it's a minor gripe.

DeshDildo

I watched it and overall thought it was OK.  It's not amazing but, not amazingly shitty either.  I'll continue to watch when/if they release more episodes.  I also would have liked at least one track from the original game series since that's 50% of the badassedness (I'm trademarking this word) of the games.
"You CAN'T prove Nulltard/DoxPhile caused ANY harm/damage/sabotage to PCEFX!! You have NO evidence he poached ANY members for his own failed PC Engine forum/site or was a conniving destructive saboteur! ZERO, ZIP, NADA!!! Nulltard did nothing wrong!"