Famicom Collection.

Started by Medic_wheat, 07/22/2018, 01:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Medic_wheat

I have realized that slowly I have become a bit of a famicom fan. Initially getting the games boxed wasn't to hard or expensive. However Lose has become the more affordable route these past few years. With that's said I find myself thinking of ways to store and organize my loose fami carts.

I also find myself constantly looking for that next fun game. So with all that said I thought let's talk famicom. Sure I could go to NA. But. Then I'd have to go to NA. Lol.

https://i.imgur.com/n6dRQ8b.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/M1TbOt4.jpg

I have others. But presently in storage. These were just some pic I had available.

NightWolve

I was perfectly happy with the US NES side of things with Nintendo and other US consoles growing up. It was how TTi died quick, leaving the Turbo Duo orphaned that led me into the experiment of seeking Japanese imports, first with Dracula X, then Ys IV: Dawn of Ys, then going further to lead the English localization project for Ys IV to make a difference in its history!

The Nintendo systems were so well-supported, I never once considered exploring imports left behind, never bought one and by then emulation took off so I could use that for something worthwhile like say Final Fantasy V.

So, I'm afraid I can't relate to your lust for Japanese Famicom carts. ;) Most of the good stuff Nintendo localized and I probably beat it thanks to rental mania back then. The NES and SNES were fantastic, well-supported systems and it was a privilege to grow up with them.

I said good bye with N64 though, just felt CD was the future thanks to the Turbo Duo and Squaresoft told Nintendo to F themselves with exclusive clauses as they jumped ship to Sony PS1 - where Square went I would follow back then, so Nintendo lost me as a customer for a very long time...

Medic_wheat

Hey NW. I am surprised you didn't continue with import gaming as you seemed to have been interested in it long before I. Although I grew up with Atari 2600 and on word I never considered or was exposed to anything not released in NA. In fact I would go so far as to say I though all games released in NA existed in other territories and there was simply no difference in game libraries as a 80s something kid.

Which is why in these past 8 years I have found expanding into import gaming is more viable, information more plantable, and it's like rediscovering old systems with new old stock of games.

Gypsy

I love how cheap good games are for the system. Plenty for $5 and under loose.

Medic_wheat

What are some of he games you have or would recommend?

How do you store/display your fami carts that are loose?

gilbert

Fantasy Zone! More faithful to the arcade version than the SMS version(to be fair the SMS version was developed concurrently with the arcade version and it's never supposed to be a perfect conversion) and MUCH better music than the PCE version(which was a shame, as the PCE version did every other thing right, but music being a high point of the game, there was no excuse in making them sound like crap). And this was the first game I got with the system.

Quote from: NightWolve on 07/22/2018, 02:46 PMSo, I'm afraid I can't relate to your lust for Japanese Famicom carts. ;) Most of the good stuff Nintendo localized and I probably beat it thanks to rental mania back then. The NES and SNES were fantastic, well-supported systems and it was a privilege to grow up with them.
I don't agree with this though. In here(Hong Kong) BITD the NES failed completely. One main reason was that the game library of the NES sucked(bad localisations with censorship and other changes, lack of RPGs and Koei strategy games), and as we live in a PAL territory the PAL game library sucked even more. As we have a very free market people are used to having imports, so the imported Japanese Famicoms triumphed the officially released NES in every single way. Another reason was the removal of the expansion audio pin on the cartridge port(actually moved to the unused expansion port), making a number of games sound inferior on the NES and the inability to use the FDS(which was VERY popular here, for many "reasons") fully without jumping through hoops on the NES.
Though it wasn't really common to have TV sets compatible with both PAL and NTSC in the 80's(and early 90's), some people here just had their Famicoms (poorly) modded to output to PAL(which someone claimed might even damage the TVs after a while, among other compatibily issues) or, for more serious gamers, just bought a NTSC monitor(which many people already had, as Apple ][ clones were very popular here) and had their Famicoms modded to output to AV.

That Nintendo eventually produced a Hong Kong edition of the Famicom(supposed to have better compatibility with Japanese carts and output to PAL) late in the console's life should be an indication.

I think the SFC/SNES situation was similar, but less severe(I'm not really sure as I didn't care anymore, since the PCE was the last console I owned). The lack of any DQ games and the mess with the FF games on the SNES were good enough reasons to have the Japanese system instead.

JoeQuaker

I bought a Famicom a couple of years ago because I always thought they were just neat systems.

I've got maybe 20+ games because yeah, you can get them really cheap for most titles.

Still stuck in the Famicom Jump RPG game if anyone can help! According to a walkthrough, at some point you want to a grave yard headstone thing it's supposed to trigger an event introducing another character.. but I can never get it to trigger.
Mir ist kalt, so kalt...

Medic_wheat

I have never liked the design of the famicom. Now the looked of a twin famicom?  That looks great to me.  I do greatly prefer the look of the famicom game carts.

Gypsy

Quote from: Medic_wheat on 07/25/2018, 03:52 PMWhat are some of he games you have or would recommend?

How do you store/display your fami carts that are loose?
I have like 10 games or so coming in, but most are extremely well known games. At this point I think the knowledge of the Fami's library is pretty much all out there. No real HIDEEEEEN GERMS anymore.

As for my carts I have a three level cart thing in front of my CRT. I keep a lot of carts on the bottom level of that. It has glass door on the bottom level, the other two levels are open on all sides.

Quote from: Medic_wheat on 07/29/2018, 10:13 PMI have never liked the design of the famicom. Now the looked of a twin famicom?  That looks great to me.  I do greatly prefer the look of the famicom game carts.
I had a twin. It was too damn big. If you have the room for it, it's okay. Reliable enough disk drive once you replace the belt. My biggest issue is the built in controllers slaughtered my thumb playing Tetris. I really like the AV Famicom. Really compact and it has NES controller ports plus the Famicom accessory port.

nopepper

I use old audio cassette cabinets for storing famicom and genesis games. Works much better for the latter, since stupid nintendo did not put spine labels, but it's still a great, cheap way to store them.

IMG

Medic_wheat

I have seen people use casset rape cases as well online. It seems like a viable option. In fact I found one for $5 fb lovely. I just need the time to meet up to pay for it.

Lol. I was typing while wait g for my name to be called at an appointment.

nopepper

$59?!? I think I did not pay more than 5 bucks total for these.

You can find these things at garage sales, swap meets, thrift shops for peanuts. I found mine without even looking for them...just saw them when riding my bike around the neighborhood and people at garage sales are basically giving them away. Granted, that was through a span of like 3-5 years ago, so now that everything retro is cool, you will probably have to pay a premium for the wood grain.

NightWolve

Quote from: Medic_wheat on 08/01/2018, 04:08 PMI have seen people use casset rape
Haha, that's a helluva typo brother AND in a sea of them you've made over the course of your posting career. :lol:

JoeQuaker

Hahaha

Sounds like something from an episode of Law & Order SVU
Mir ist kalt, so kalt...

Medic_wheat

Quote from: NightWolve on 08/02/2018, 01:37 AM
Quote from: Medic_wheat on 08/01/2018, 04:08 PMI have seen people use casset rape
Haha, that's a helluva typo brother AND in a sea of them you've made over the course of your posting career. :lol:
When keeping it real. Goes wrong.

Full disclaimer. A log time ago I mislabel rap music in my original Xbox as rape music.

I had a hard time explaining I didn't realize I misspelled rap as rape.