@GTV reviews the Cosmic Fantasy 1-2 Switch collection by Edia, provides examples of the poor English editing/localization work. It's much worse for CF1. Rated "D" for disappointment, finding that TurboGrafx CF2 is better & while CF1's the real draw, Edia screwed it up...
Main Menu

Retro controllers and mods.

Started by Medic_wheat, 07/29/2018, 10:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Medic_wheat

So I have been thinking of retro controllers recently due to 8bit duos new DIY PCBs.

Basically it's a PCB for the NES, NES mini, SNES, SNES mini, and Genesis 6-button controller. You unscrew the controller yank out the guts toss in the new board and close it up. Then you have a "new" blue tooth controlor ready to be used on a PS3/4, XBONE, Switch or retro device that has a 8bit duo controlor connector for blue tooth play.

As Sheldon once said everything is better with Bluetooth.

I personally live this user friendly so dad that $20 off their website. As I have 2-3 contrives thst I have kept that are messed up or the costs is all janky.

Then I thought. What about the NES Advantage? Or the 3 button genesis controlor/stick?  What about PCE controlor s?  Or other third party stuff that you pay prefer over original controls (but made during the era of the systems life).

Thoughts?

majors

The Genny 6 button is nice, but the Saturn model 2(JP) pad is the once to rule them all.

The el-cheapo Mad Katz PS1 pad had a good d-pad but it broke all the time. Of course any stick made by Hori for any console is gonna be good.

I have no use for Bluetooth, unless it can sync with android(security is preventing some BT pads to connect, i.e. Wiimote)
TG/PCE Collection.
"Booze should be a choice, not a privilege" -KCDC (The FP)

SignOfZeta

Yeah. Making something BT makes it worse for me. It will need charging, paring, and eventually replacement (keep the old guts around, they'll still work) whereas a stock PCE pad is...still exactly as shipped and still working %100.

I'm at the point where just having to hold a power button down for two seconds, as opposed to it being instantly and totally on via a DPDT switch, makes me want to kill someone. I'm so sick of the latency of modern tech...and I'm not talking about input lag exactly but almost EVERYTHING  takes longer or demands a extra step or in some other way makes a complete BITCH out of the user by forcing them to endure load times, software updates, EULAs, passwords, bot detectors, and increasingly fingerprint and face scans just to access what is overall pretty much a toy.

I've never loved Laserdiscs and 16 bit games more for their total lack of this kind of crap so I won't be signing up. I recently bought a new Walkman to escape Apple's constantly changing music experience. When I was doing this something occurred to me that if someone bought a gaudy new pair of BT Beats for $300 or whatever a few years ago that to take advantage of this Walkman, which plays DSDs, and other high res formats, you'd have to buy an entirely brand new $300 pair of BT Beats to take advantage of the high res sound since old BT will just be fed something close to CD quality. If that person had bought wired headphones it wouldn't be an issue. They'd just hear better sound than before out of the same cans they may have had for ages. I know people who have rebuilt the same pair of headphones for 40 years because that wire is %100 future proof unless you let someone take it from you, after which they own just a little bit more of the experience and a bit more of your time and therefore you as you fumble for passwords and wait for shit to load and try to unlock your phone with wet hands, or lose your company web page because it got blocked byFacebook after false claims of hate speech or whatever.

Sorry about crapping on your post but it has to be said, by me, to a forum that is very nearly dead, that if all the modern conveniences of the last 80 years actually saved us all the time they said they do and made our lives that much easier we'd all be retired and not on anti-depresents when in fact that average American works more than ever and is nuts. It's clearly a scam.
IMG

Medic_wheat

I like the novelty of using a genesis controlor on a switch to play sonic mania. Among other possibilities.

SignOfZeta

I guess, for some kind of authenticity's sake. I've always hated that pad though. The d-pads get so sloppy after not that long that even Phantasy Star starts to become too demanding for it.

The Saturn pad makes some sense since it's a really solid basic pad for anything that doesn't need analog input. I have a USB one of those though...I've used it on PS3 Windows, OSX, I've never recharged it.
IMG

nopepper

I have zero interest in turning my wired pads into BT controllers. Considering how many BT controller options are out there, this seems absolutely pointles and if anything, I might be against it since there will be legit vintage equipment being sacrificed.

Instead, I would like 8bitdo to focus on creating wireless adapters for the Genesis, Neo Geo and Turbo, as I really like their NES and SNES adapters, which I pair with a Wii classic controller. I like the simplicity of having one controller, turn the machine on, press the sync button and you are up and running. I have not noticed any latency either, but I'm not a pro speed runner or any of that shit. If they had one for all the classic systems, I would basically just use that one controller for all of them, except for games that require the 6 face buttons. Yeah, I generally agree that we are moving backwards in regards to all the extra waiting time associated with new tech, but in this case, given that I'm one of those crackheads that has multiple consoles connected, the convenience of using one pad for all of them (even if its just NES/SNES right now) makes up of the press of the sync button.