OMG! ZIRIA! ZIRIA!! ZIRIA!!! IT ACTUALLY HAPPENED!! 34 YEARS LATER!! The epic/legendary Tengai Makyou/Far East of Eden: Ziria JRPG has finally been localized! Supper the Subtitler struck again! Simply unstoppable, NOTHING can prevent him from TOTAL PCECD localization domination!!!! WHACHA GONNA DO BROTHER?!?!
Main Menu

Divisive Topic.

Started by Medic_wheat, 10/06/2018, 10:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Medic_wheat

So here is a topic that's gotten tons of divisive comments on a movie collector fb group.

Scenario:

Used media store. Chain company sales used movies, tv shows, music etc.

Cases of movies are displayed while DVDs and what not are stored to keep people from stealing.

Potential customer walks in the store. Looks through movies. Finds some of the empty cases have the paper slip with the digital download code inside. Asks employees if he can claim codes.

Employees say "we can't sale the codes, guarantee they work, and usually claim the codes ourselves. If you find a code that works we don't care if you use it just put the case back because reshelfing is a lot of work".

Potential customer (I say that because let's say the guy doesn't buy a thing and walks out) then proceeds to find one or more codes that work. Claim them.

So that's the story.

Now the response.

1) that's stealing.

2) that's greedy

3) movie companies can press charges on you

4). That's a felony offens because at the start of every movie it says so.

5) you are just justifying the stealing of property and a bad person

6)  if the store doesn't care what's the issue

7) does any ever use these codes?

There are more but they mostly for the moralistic rout.

Personal take.

1) stealing?  Not if the entity selling the used products considered it stealing. Sure the person who buys the used item might want a working code but that would mean they would need to go through every used case to find a code that works if any have a code and it works.

2) illegal. No. The code is a legal means for the pubsliher to entice a buyer to get the new item. Once it's no longer new the publisher does not get any revenue. Additionally since the dotogital codes are not meant to be sold asperity most 3rd party companies can't sale the code. eBay has 3rd party rules against it, and the original owner who sold the item never claimed the code. The publisher already factored the existence of the code from potential additional revenue, and made it so the code can expire after X amount of time if not claimed.

3) greedy. Of course. No doubt. Is it wrong?  We are taking about collectors who value the quantities of stuff in a collection. That's an absered notion.

Lastly, yeah what's the deal with these codes?  For years I never claimed my codes. But recently went through my movie library and claimed as many as I could that still worked. Even did the same at my parents as they didn't care or want their codes. I also now claim the codes when I buy new movies. Yes my physical media library is in the hundreds maybe more then a thousand. While my Doris library is around 70. But here is the thing. I have no intrinsic value for the digital library. One day that digital library can get shit down. The company can go out of business. But that physical copy. I can always pick up and watch if I wanted to.

So basically it boils down to this. Are there policies that prevent or discurage a person from claiming. Codes for digital media that they themslef did not buy?  Not really. Unless you are walking into a store opening up new items meant for an original owner you are not doing anything wrong.

But that's just my take. What is some of yours?  Do you agree it's simlly wrong and feel shame?  Do you want to run out now to your local used movie store and ask if you can look for unclaimed codes?

majors

I do not think I've owned anything that had a digital DL code. I have a small physical media library (like 20), and most are used $1 DVD's. My movie consumption is satisfied with streaming or other non physical means, plus I'm not one to keep a movie once I watch it.

As for "unclaimed codes", if regular used merch resellers do not attempt to sell them, then have at it...first to claim them, gets the largest virtual movie bookshelf. Most buyers of used movies or games, would assume the code is dead.
TG/PCE Collection.
"Booze should be a choice, not a privilege" -KCDC (The FP)

NightWolve

I wouldn't let some dude jot down the codes while browsing the DVD cases in the store. They can easily solve that just by storing the code paper along with the disc.

I remember a video store like this also, the DVD cases were on the shelves for you, you'd pick one for purchase, bring it to the counter, and they'd find the actual disc in storage. It closed a few years ago though as will happen to all movie rental stores, not just because of Internet streaming, or piracy, but also thanks to Redbox and their $1 rental rates for old timers that still go the physical media route.

DragonmasterDan

Back in the day I remember buying used games at Blockbuster video. Bizarrely enough the codes were still in the cases and I was able to download the added DLC that was designed to be a premium for people who bought the games new.
--DragonmasterDan

Gypsy

I'd say it's pretty obviously morally wrong to steal the code. I wouldn't do it.