@GTV reviews the Cosmic Fantasy 1-2 Switch collection by Edia, provides examples of the poor English editing/localization work. It's much worse for CF1. Rated "D" for disappointment, finding that TurboGrafx CF2 is better & while CF1's the real draw, Edia screwed it up...
Main Menu

The “What-Did-You-Buy-Today?” Thread

Started by Tatsujin, 06/15/2008, 05:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Joe Redifer

Received:

-Sinistron
-Military Madness
-Soldier Blade
-Raiden
-Operation Wolf (Japanese)
-It Came From teh Desert

All complete!

MrFulci

Quote from: Lochlan on 08/22/2008, 05:30 PM
Quote from: MrFulci on 08/22/2008, 08:23 AMNot quite what I would call a "poor man's homecart", especially sonsidernig what the boxes cost, with art, shipped.
LOL

I have several home carts worth around the $200 mark.  There are plenty more that go up from there, with the most expensive carts being around $1000 (except for a couple really spendy exceptions like Metal Slug 1).

So, yeah: poor man's homecart :mrgreen:
I made a wrong choice of words, what I meant to say is that MVS aren't exactly cheap once you dress them up. I'm unsure what I paid for Samurai Shodown 5 and Samurai Shodown 5 Special MVS, however I did have to import those 2, at a price. Same goes for Sengoku 3.

I know what some Home carts sell for, however I was not willing to pay $$$$$ to get started with AES since I was a bit late into the game of owning Neo Geo carts, of any kind. MVS gets you much further for the same amount of money, for the same games.

If you enjoy paying $200-$1,000 for a cart, have fun! Unlike TG-16 vs PC-Engine, there are pretty much no differences in MVS and AVS, other than cart shape/art, instruction manual, box, and PRICE! Same game, I can play either in Japanese or English. Unibios and a consolized 2-slot work fine for me.

I say the same for anyone thinking to get into Neo Geo. If you want to play a handful of games, goe with AES. If you want to play more, go with MVS. If you really want AES, and you have maybe $10,000 sitting around that you'd like to build an AES collection with, go for it. That $10,000 will get you A LOT further with MVS. You can buy nearly all the MVS carts, shockboxes, and art for them at that price.
"Damnit, Beavis, put that away. You're not supposed to have your _____ out when you're cooking".

SuperDeadite

I have no problem with people buying MVS games, but shockboxes are silly. If you want the art go AES!
Stronger Than Your Average Deadite

bust3dstr8

Even if I was a billionaire I would still be gaming on the MVS. I like the experience of the cab.

Shockboxes are more than a place to slip in some art. They keeps out teh evil dust. MVS boards
are pretty fussy about needing clean carts.
Clowns Suck
IMG IMG

MrFulci

Shcokboxes make is much easier to find a title. HOWEVER, they do make the carts take up more space;

What I like about shock boxes;

- protected from most dust
- Protected against falls. It's not good to have the screw pillar inside a cart shatter due to a drop.
- Easier to find jap carts
- Though it consumes more space, I think they look better on a shelf than loose carts or insdie their cardboard boxes.

If people want to spend money on AES, it's all up to them. Unlike PCE and TG-16, there are nearly no differences in the games. Same games, can play eitehr in Japanese or English. I wish the same could be said about TG-16 and PCE! That is the reason I cuold not justify spending 2X-10X per cart. Same game, different machine and cart size. Any small differences, unibios takes care of.
"Damnit, Beavis, put that away. You're not supposed to have your _____ out when you're cooking".

PCEngineHell

Quote from: SuperDeadite on 08/23/2008, 11:19 AMI have no problem with people buying MVS games, but shockboxes are silly. If you want the art go AES!
Actually if you take into account the how to play flyers, marquee insert, stickers, ect you get plenty of art right there,that's if you get a complete kit at least.

Ceti Alpha

Nice grab ooPo!!  =D> Don't tell me you found that at The Last Game Store?!   :o  I actually stopped by the Clayton Park store today to see what they had there. I forgot they had some arcade cabinets there, like the Capcom vs Marvel and Final Fight.  =D> Alas, no Turbo stuff.  :(
IMG
"Let the CAW and Mystery of a Journey Unlike Any Other Begin"

Tatsujin

Quote from: SuperDeadite on 08/23/2008, 11:19 AMI have no problem with people buying MVS games, but shockboxes are silly. If you want the art go AES!
agree. but to each his own :)
www.pcedaisakusen.net - home of your individual PC Engine collection!!
PCE Games countdown: 690/737 (47 to go or 93.6% clear)
PCE Shmups countdown: 111/111 (all clear!!)
Sega does what Nintendon't, but only NEC does better than both together!^^
<Senshi> Tat's i'm going to contact the people of Hard Off and open a store stateside..

ooPo

Quote from: ceti alpha on 08/23/2008, 11:26 PMNice grab ooPo!!  =D&gt; Don't tell me you found that at The Last Game Store?!
Kijiji, actually. :) Some crazy law student imported it, played for a bit, then sold it off.

Ceti Alpha

Quote from: ooPo on 08/24/2008, 01:39 AM
Quote from: ceti alpha on 08/23/2008, 11:26 PMNice grab ooPo!!  =D&gt; Don't tell me you found that at The Last Game Store?!
Kijiji, actually. :) Some crazy law student imported it, played for a bit, then sold it off.
ha! :idea:
IMG

Sparky

got me some more TG manuals (upgrades/& needs) again from the man DreamTR ...
Ordyne, Turrican and Super Air Zonk: Rockabilly-Paradise (now to find the game :-k)

man i get hot and horny for needed gaming manuals :P !!!!! ok maybe to much info but i cant help it a like me games complete... :D

Sensei

I bought a PC-FX mouse and the button doesn't respond.  I can move the pointer around fine, but I can't click on anything.  Playing Power Dolls is a pain in the butt without a mouse.  I wonder if I can fix it..

MissaFX

Quote from: Sensei on 08/25/2008, 02:38 AMI bought a PC-FX mouse and the button doesn't respond.  I can move the pointer around fine, but I can't click on anything.  Playing Power Dolls is a pain in the butt without a mouse.  I wonder if I can fix it..
That sucks Sensei...I can see only two silver linings to this though.  1, at least you didn't have to pay shipping from Japan.  Two, I am pretty sure from guessing that you could take an older PC serial mouse and swap the cable if you have some minor sodering skills and some electronics knowledge.  One of those older heavy MS mice would do nicely on the FX even though the evil MS name is attached to it.

Is there any chance you can return the item to where you ordered it from?
Good Traders: nat+, The Old Rover+, bust3dstr8+, nectarsis, geepee+, Mithos, zeon, sensei+, Windancer, OldSchoolGamer
35/62 FX games owned - 56.4%
05/62 FX games reviewed - 8.0%
Latest: Pachio-kun FX review - 4/9/08

guyjin

Quote from: Sensei on 08/25/2008, 02:38 AMI bought a PC-FX mouse and the button doesn't respond.  I can move the pointer around fine, but I can't click on anything.  Playing Power Dolls is a pain in the butt without a mouse.  I wonder if I can fix it..
have you taken it apart yet? could it just be a failure of the contact under the button?

Ceti Alpha

AvenuePad 6 (I paid too much for it, but I needed a replacement and I wasn't willing to wait. lol  Oh, and don't ask how much because I don't want to think about it.  :P)
Salamander

Thanks to missa, I finally got some external memory for my Juno G working, and for pretty cheap.  :mrgreen: I tested it out last night and it worked like a charm. No more writing over other patches.  [-o&lt;

Oh, and I installed a new video card for my desktop computer over the weekend. A Geforce 6200 AGP, which is a nice improvement over my previous 5200. The main reason was that the fan was going on the 5200 and was making a dreadful noise. I thought my computer was going to explode. The 6200 doesn't have a fan, so it's super quiet.  :dance: I've given my 5 year old computer a new lease on life. hehe Thank god, because I really don't want to buy a new computer right now. This computer does everything I want and need it to do.
IMG

MissaFX

geepee comes through again ^_^

He let me bid on a few games through yahoo japan before he left Tokyo.  That Angelique Requiem is new in package too!  If I remember right after all the fees it was 50 bucks for the three games.  Ty again geepee!

/dscf7041wz0.jpg
Good Traders: nat+, The Old Rover+, bust3dstr8+, nectarsis, geepee+, Mithos, zeon, sensei+, Windancer, OldSchoolGamer

mossman43

I bought some games, but what they are I don't know. I just started collecting this stuff and bought this lot cheap. The games probably suck but it didn't hurt the wallet. Obviously I can only read one of them which is F-1, but i'm hoping you guys could tell me what the other ones are.http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&item=280258220046

Tatsujin

here're the names: /a4491ub4.jpg

:)
<Senshi> Tat's i'm going to contact the people of Hard Off and open a store stateside..

mossman43

You rock!! Thanks and are any of em' good?

albinoMithos

Quote from: MissaFX on 08/27/2008, 01:52 PMgeepee comes through again ^_^

He let me bid on a few games through yahoo japan before he left Tokyo.  That Angelique Requiem is new in package too!  If I remember right after all the fees it was 50 bucks for the three games.  Ty again geepee!

/dscf7041wz0.jpg
#-o Blurry Vision 1, 2, and the awesome end to the series Blurry Vision 3?  :P

Tatsujin

hmm..to be honest with you, they not even can reach the average level of good PC Engine games. the momotaros are just boring for us western, the wrestling is awful (as amost all of em are), the F1 is just for some short fun and if you like mah jong, so this would be your best game in teh bunch to go with :)

DJLobo

This week I picked up Last Alert, Cadash and the 3 in 1 Turbo Duo disc. Also, I had bought a Dreamcast lot of eBay a last month that finally arrived.  :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: It was a boxed Dreamcast with 2 controllers, 2 Memory Units with Skies of Arcadia, Shenmue, Phantasy Star, Resident Evil: Code Veronica and 5 other games.
Early to bed, early to rise gives a man no social life. - Yakko Warner

Ceti Alpha

Quote from: DJLobo on 08/28/2008, 09:40 AMThis week I picked up Last Alert, Cadash and the 3 in 1 Turbo Duo disc. Also, I had bought a Dreamcast lot of eBay a last month that finally arrived.  :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: It was a boxed Dreamcast with 2 controllers, 2 Memory Units with Skies of Arcadia, Shenmue, Phantasy Star, Resident Evil: Code Veronica and 5 other games.
Nice!!  =D&gt; =D&gt; :dance: :dance: I didn't know there was Resident Evil for the DC. Sweet. I really need to get one of these machines.  :mrgreen:
IMG

MissaFX

Quote from: ceti alpha on 08/28/2008, 09:52 AMNice!!  =D&gt; =D&gt; :dance: :dance: I didn't know there was Resident Evil for the DC. Sweet. I really need to get one of these machines.  :mrgreen:
Not only that, but it is actually a good game too.

bust3dstr8

Picked up a Psychic Storm and a Puyo.
Clowns Suck
IMG IMG

DJLobo

Quote from: ceti alpha on 08/28/2008, 09:52 AM
Quote from: DJLobo on 08/28/2008, 09:40 AMThis week I picked up Last Alert, Cadash and the 3 in 1 Turbo Duo disc. Also, I had bought a Dreamcast lot of eBay a last month that finally arrived.  :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: It was a boxed Dreamcast with 2 controllers, 2 Memory Units with Skies of Arcadia, Shenmue, Phantasy Star, Resident Evil: Code Veronica and 5 other games.
Nice!!  =D&gt; =D&gt; :dance: :dance: I didn't know there was Resident Evil for the DC. Sweet. I really need to get one of these machines.  :mrgreen:
It goes nicely with the Sega Dreamcast t-shirt I've had for about 10 years. A friend gave me that for free and I kinda felt stupid wearing it since I didn't have one.
Early to bed, early to rise gives a man no social life. - Yakko Warner

Ninja Spirit

Sparky

Quote from: MissaFX on 08/28/2008, 10:06 AM
Quote from: ceti alpha on 08/28/2008, 09:52 AMNice!!  =D&gt; =D&gt; :dance: :dance: I didn't know there was Resident Evil for the DC. Sweet. I really need to get one of these machines.  :mrgreen:
Not only that, but it is actually a good game too.
ya missa very good... also ceti theres res 2 and 3 which looks damn good on the DC :)

I picked up yesterday... a ps2 keyboard and in the mail Blue Blink for the pce

albinoMithos

Don't forget about the DC RE: Code Veronica. :)

MissaFX

I had to drive into the city of Eugene today to get my car fixed and while I had 3 hours to wait I walked to some thrift shops.  I found the following with the exception of Space Invaders, Sin out of the kindness of his heart got that for me and it arrived in the mail today.

/dscf7068kc6.jpg

Joe Redifer

Why is the space real estate game endorsed by the movie Apollo 13?

NecroPhile

Quote from: Joe Redifer on 08/28/2008, 05:50 PMWhy is the space real estate game endorsed by the movie Apollo 13?
Reverse Kevin Bacon theory: Apollo 13 featured Kevin Bacon, who was in She's Having a Baby, which also featured Alec Baldwin, who was in Glengarry Glen Ross, which is about real estate agents.  Pretty obvious, don't ya think?
Ultimate Forum Bully/Thief/Saboteur/Clone Warrior! BURN IN HELL NECROPHUCK!!!

MissaFX

It comes with all this neat stuff and has the following text to explain the Apollo 13 connection on the back:

On the 13th day... In the 13th hour... In the 13th minute... The Apollo 13 mission was on its way to the moon. A million things could have gone wrong.  One did.
The "Apollo 13" adventure takes you to the moon and back, risking the perils of space travel.  The Solarquest adventure takes you through each planetary system on a fantastic tour of the entire solar system.  Solarquest is the game for the space travel enthusiast.  Fasten your seatbelt and prepare to blast off.

ROFL
/dscf7074kb6.jpg

Ceti Alpha

IMG

mossman43

FINALLY!!! I got a Duo-R!!! Now I can buy Ninja Gaiden.

MissaFX

Quote from: ceti alpha on 08/28/2008, 11:54 PMThat...is...awesome.
It gets even better.  The game had never been played before.  The map had never been unfolded.  The money and cards were still in the plastic packages, etc.  It's all 100% there and I cannot wait to play.  I just hope no space invaders attack along the way.

Sensei

I bought "Maison Ikkouku" for the PC-Engine.  I loved the Manga (back in the day) so I hope the game is good.  Been looking for this one for a while.

NecroPhile

Quote from: Sensei on 08/29/2008, 02:26 AMI bought "Maison Ikkouku" for the PC-Engine.  I loved the Manga (back in the day) so I hope the game is good.  Been looking for this one for a while.
Nice one, especially so considering the available translation patch.

Sensei

Quote from: guestNice one, especially so considering the available translation patch.
Translation patch?  Can you link me?

NecroPhile

geepee16

i scored big this summer but over the last two days, i got the following goodies:

Shanghai: The Great Wall (FINALLY)
Cutey Honey FX

and the following extras:

Return to Zork
Boundary Gate
Anime Freak vol. 4
Anime Freak vol. 1

and the first five Deep Spance Nine novels in japanese which i did not know even existed.  there are very few trek books in japanese and all were quickly discontinued. 

congrats on the Dreamcast buy DJLobo.  i love the fx, saturn and pc engine dearly but there are LOADS of great titles for the DC too.  enjoy enjoy enjoy. you are going to have a blast with those games.

Turbo D

I bought 9 laserdisc movies and like 5 vhs tapes for 1.50 each. You simply cannot beat the quality of the laserdisc! Its like a freaking blu-ray disc dudes! No Bull!
Quote from: MissaFX on 01/06/2008, 12:10 PMMy idea of gaming is a couple of friends over, a couple of drinks, a couple of medical-handrolled-game-enhancing-cigs and a glowing box you all worship.
IMG IMG
IMG

geepee16

Turbo D-  very interseted in your post here.  this summer, i bought about 25 japanese LDs ranging from labyrinth  willow and the never ending story to batman, alien and various opera performances. never had LDs before and i CAN'T wait to get a player when i get home to try them out.  i have always been so intrigued by LDs.  am i correct in assuming that japanese LDs will work on US players?  i don't have  aplayer yet but plan to get one soon. thanks (sorry for gonig off topic)

PCEngineHell

For the most part they are region free other then the Pal players. There are a few Pal based players that will play NTSC stuff. Depending on where home is you should hit ebay if you get a chance,browse the players, and nab one. Research it first. The video quality isn't cut and dry/same on each one. There are some very sucky players out there.

You can use http://www.laserdiscarchive.co.uk/ to help research a player that has caught your eye. Your best bet is to nab a player with s-video,and make sure its a player with at least 49dB video s/n, otherwise your picture quality will really suffer and you wont be pleased. Anything with s-video typically has a 2-3 line comb filter too, but if your TV has a better comb filter then that then I recommend trying both s-video and composite on the player you get to see which output will result in a better picture on your display. You will also have to save separate picture settings typically for your LD player,as the contrast and brightness levels for LD are a tad different then DVD.

I highly recommend that if your going to get into this to make sure you have  a good SDTV. HDTV doesn't work well with LD typically unless you purchase a video scaler and deinterlacer to help prepare the video output to better suit the HDTV display. This kind of equipment can cost good money at times,so it ends up being cheaper to simply hit the store for a good SDTV instead.

Anyway,enough LD talk. This is what I paid for today :)
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=280258434401&ssPageName=STRK:MEWN:IT&ih=018
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=380058255064&ssPageName=STRK:MEWN:IT&ih=025

Sparky

i bought Ninja Assault and Dual Hearts for the PS2... Ninja Assault being a gun game which i am lining up to play today, as for me there is nothing like wielding 2 namco light guns for good times  :twisted:

Tom Phobos

We had a large fleamarket today in town. Here what i bought:

/fleamarketke9.jpg
/toughbook1vj4.jpg
/toughbook2rn9.jpg

Also the power supplies for laptop and game gear, Galaga '91 and Ninja Gaiden for Game Gear (carts only).

The laptop is a Panasonic Toughbook CF-71 with a PII 300, 128MB RAM and 6GB HDD. Bought it for 35 EUR (about $50) :)

Joe Redifer

Hell yeah!  Great find!! Space Harrier 2!!!

guyjin

I keep meaning to pick up Space Harrier 2, but I never see it anywhere.

drdre

Today?  Alien Soldier for the Megadrive, and the final two figures to complete Fin Fang Foom from the Hulk Legends figure series.  Tomorrow?  Nothing, because I spent all my damn money on toys and games (a little  :( and a lot  :D )
Arms installation is complete....good luck

mossman43

Just bought my second copy of Chi No Rondo and a PC Engine Duo. Also got a Sega CD/ Genesis 2 at the flea market this past weekend for $10. The real steal was a complete copy of the SNES version of Drac X for $8. He wanted $10 and I would have happily paid that, but I offered $8 and he took it!!