Funtech Super A'Can

Started by 98pacecar, 12/04/2013, 08:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

98pacecar

Over in another thread, it was requested that I post some pics of the Funtech Super A'Can.

Console and extra gamepad:
IMG

IMG

And the games (just missing Rebel Star, if it was actually released):
IMG

IMG

It seems like recently, there have been a lot of boxed consoles for sale, but the games are still hard to get. The spare gamepads even come up from time to time if you watch. It's even possible to run across them in the US as a number of them were sent here to be stripped of the CPUs. Not sure of the entire story, but I had one that came to me from a US seller claiming they had a bunch of them, all without screws. Weird, but as poorly as it did I can see them being scrapped.

For more info, see here: http://www.videogameconsolelibrary.com/pg90-funtech.htm#page=reviews

Tatsujin

great stuff, and a fullset too :)

how much cost one of these these days? and the games?
www.pcedaisakusen.net - home of your individual PC Engine collection!!
PCE Games countdown: 690/737 (47 to go or 93.6% clear)
PCE Shmups countdown: 111/111 (all clear!!)
Sega does what Nintendon't, but only NEC does better than both together!^^
<Senshi> Tat's i'm going to contact the people of Hard Off and open a store stateside..

PukeSter

Incredible, all 11 games too. I think only like 9 were identified, too.

Could these be dumped? Only 3 games are poorly dumped for the mess emulator. It is a rare piece of history.

98pacecar

The console seems to be selling for about $250 to $350 in the box, down from what it used to be. The games were about $80-$100 a piece when I was seeing them hit the market. It's been a long time since I've seen any sell, but I haven't watched them all that closely either. There used to be a guy from Taiwan on eBay that came up with games somewhat regularly, but even he hasn't had any in a while it seems.

PukeSter

Quote from: 98pacecar on 12/04/2013, 09:31 PMThe console seems to be selling for about $250 to $350 in the box, down from what it used to be. The games were about $80-$100 a piece when I was seeing them hit the market. It's been a long time since I've seen any sell, but I haven't watched them all that closely either. There used to be a guy from Taiwan on eBay that came up with games somewhat regularly, but even he hasn't had any in a while it seems.
Quote from: 98pacecar on 12/04/2013, 09:31 PMThe console seems to be selling for about $250 to $350 in the box, down from what it used to be. The games were about $80-$100 a piece when I was seeing them hit the market. It's been a long time since I've seen any sell, but I haven't watched them all that closely either. There used to be a guy from Taiwan on eBay that came up with games somewhat regularly, but even he hasn't had any in a while it seems.
Thanks for not answering my question.

Seriously, not to sound rude, but you have very rare games that are important in gaming history. Have you considered getting them dumped?

PunkCryborg

Wow dude thanks for sharing the pics man! I played that baseball player platformer thats like sonic. Great game and very bright and colorful. Sango fighter was also pretty cool. Definitely a lot of potential for this machine. I know a lot of people who collect thisalso do for Gamate and Watara Supervision which I also find really interesting obscure systems.

98pacecar

Quote from: guest on 12/04/2013, 09:58 PMThanks for not answering my question.

Seriously, not to sound rude, but you have very rare games that are important in gaming history. Have you considered getting them dumped?
I think we were typing at the same time, so I didn't see your reply.

I'm not sure how to go about having them dumped, but I seem to remember that at one point, someone on Assembler was working on this. I haven't followed that project, but it might already be done and just not widely released.

Flare65

Ok, can someone tell me what I'm looking at here?  This looks like some sort of SNES knock off.  What is the historical significance of this system?

EDIT:  Nevermind explaining it to me.  I clicked the link and read the info myself.

Tatsujin

Quote from: Flare65 on 12/04/2013, 11:21 PMOk, can someone tell me what I'm looking at here?  This looks like some sort of SNES knock off.  What is the historical significance of this system?
how about following the already posted links?

EDIT: LOL
www.pcedaisakusen.net - home of your individual PC Engine collection!!
PCE Games countdown: 690/737 (47 to go or 93.6% clear)
PCE Shmups countdown: 111/111 (all clear!!)
Sega does what Nintendon't, but only NEC does better than both together!^^
<Senshi> Tat's i'm going to contact the people of Hard Off and open a store stateside..

98pacecar

Quote from: PunkCryborg on 12/04/2013, 10:22 PMWow dude thanks for sharing the pics man! I played that baseball player platformer thats like sonic. Great game and very bright and colorful. Sango fighter was also pretty cool. Definitely a lot of potential for this machine. I know a lot of people who collect thisalso do for Gamate and Watara Supervision which I also find really interesting obscure systems.
Did they have the Bomberman clone available at the MGC? It might be worth bringing it to give something new to try out. Past that though, the library is pretty bad.

NecroPhile

Heh, neat as an oddity.  Is the Son Son looking monkey game any fun?
Ultimate Forum Bully/Thief/Saboteur/Clone Warrior! BURN IN HELL NECROPHUCK!!!

PunkCryborg

I might be wrong but the one at MGC I think is owned  by member DHG Hunter. If he doesnt own them then I'm sure he could tell you who does since he runs a lot of the console area at MGC. It would be rad to get some more games out there if he doesn't have anymore.

jeffhlewis

Quote from: PunkCryborg on 12/05/2013, 10:16 AMI might be wrong but the one at MGC I think is owned  by member DHG Hunter. If he doesnt own them then I'm sure he could tell you who does since he runs a lot of the console area at MGC. It would be rad to get some more games out there if he doesn't have anymore.
DHG Hunter is the guy who brings his A'Can to MGC each year...not sure how many games he has for it, though the past few times we've had the Sonic/Dragon/Guy-with-baseball-bat game (forgot the name, heh).

You in the area for MGC? You should definitely come this year. We have some awesome stuff in the works for the 2014 show.

JoshTurboTrollX

Quote from: PunkCryborg on 12/05/2013, 10:16 AMI might be wrong but the one at MGC I think is owned  by member DHG Hunter. If he doesnt own them then I'm sure he could tell you who does since he runs a lot of the console area at MGC. It would be rad to get some more games out there if he doesn't have anymore.
I think JD only has a couple (maybe 2?)  But, yeah he's the guy that owns the set used in the MGC museum.  :)
Jossshhhhh...Legendary TurboTrollX-16: He revenge-bans PCE Developers/Ys IV Localizers from PCE Facebook groups and destroyed 2 PC Engine groups: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook, then the other by Aaron Nanto!!! Josh and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together! Both times he blamed the Aarons and their staff in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner (extortion!), never himself nor his deranged, destructive, toxic turbo troll gang!

98pacecar

Quote from: guest on 12/05/2013, 10:01 AMHeh, neat as an oddity.  Is the Son Son looking monkey game any fun?
I'd put it in the category of playable. Really nothing on this system is good enough to classify as fun outside of Sango Fighter and I think that's just my nostalgia for the pc version.

Quote from: jeffhlewis on 12/05/2013, 10:39 AMDHG Hunter is the guy who brings his A'Can to MGC each year...not sure how many games he has for it, though the past few times we've had the Sonic/Dragon/Guy-with-baseball-bat game (forgot the name, heh).

You in the area for MGC? You should definitely come this year. We have some awesome stuff in the works for the 2014 show.
Yea, since CGE has died, I try to make the trip to MGC each year. Usually ends up being my favorite show. Just wish they could solve the problem with Milwaukee and move to a bigger place. Last year was a bit snug.

DragonmasterDan

I've also played the one at MGC. It's certainly a unique system.
--DragonmasterDan

Ninja Spirit

YouTubing A'Can games as we speak....this is pretty dope! Sonic clone but with sword swinging

Speedy Dragon (Super A'Can)

About the bonus stage.....IMG

jeffhlewis

I love how he fights American bald eagles with a baseball bat. Take that, capitalist pig-dogs!

Nando

Oh wow! super niche consoles ftw. What an odd little system.

esteban

Quote from: jeffhlewis on 12/11/2013, 11:31 AMI love how he fights American bald eagles with a baseball bat. Take that, capitalist pig-dogs!
The art of subtlety.  :pcgs:
IMGIMG IMG  |  IMG  |  IMG IMG