The Analogue Turbo Duo clone shipped in time for Christmas 2023. Are you happy with yours ?? Find firmware updates here.
Main Menu

OG Xbox

Started by bob, 10/11/2014, 07:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bob

So i broke out my original xbox today for the first time in quite a while.
I dont have a lot of games, and im very NOT familiar with the overall library.

My three year old son played Disneys Cars for about an hour today.  He just drove around the town and hit stuff.

Anyway, Im curious if there are any 2D shewties, or any must have exclusives that flew under the radar. Im not interested in Halo or any FPS's.
Since it was the age of the PS2, i cant imagine there are any slick 2D platformers.

o.pwuaioc

2D on the Xbox? Not a chance, although Midway Arcade Treasures is supposed to be best on the Xbox, and Taito Legends 2 Xbox version has some exclusives.

There are good games, but it's overall an unimportant console to own. What I own for it:

Bard's Tale
BloodRayne
Call of Cthulhu
Crimson Skies
Fable: Lost Chapters
Full Spectrum Warrior
Gladius
Gauntlet: Dark Legacy
Jade Empire
Kingdom Under Fire
Ninja Gaiden Black
Oddworld: Munch's Oddyssee
Oddworld: Stranger's Wrath (sadly, these are not 2D platformers)
Panzer Dragoon Orta
Phantom Dust
Psychonauts
Red Faction II
Star Wars: KotOR 1 & 2
Sudeki
Tenchu
Yager

cr8zykuban0

there are some pretty cool neo geo ports for the xbox such as svc chaos, metal slug 3 and samurai shodown 5 from what I own.  there is a 3d shooter worth checking out called xyanide.

bob

Quote from: guest on 10/11/2014, 08:46 PM2D on the Xbox? Not a chance, although Midway Arcade Treasures is supposed to be best on the Xbox, and Taito Legends 2 Xbox version has some exclusives.

There are good games, but it's overall an unimportant console to own. What I own for it:

Bard's Tale
BloodRayne
Call of Cthulhu
Crimson Skies
Fable: Lost Chapters
Full Spectrum Warrior
Gladius
Gauntlet: Dark Legacy
Jade Empire
Kingdom Under Fire
Ninja Gaiden Black
Oddworld: Munch's Oddyssee
Oddworld: Stranger's Wrath (sadly, these are not 2D platformers)
Panzer Dragoon Orta
Phantom Dust
Psychonauts
Red Faction II
Star Wars: KotOR 1 & 2
Sudeki
Tenchu
Yager
i understand the "yawn" factor of the console overall.  i have those midway and taito comps on ps2, so im looking for stuff that may not have reached other systems.

o.pwuaioc

You're not looking at very many good exclusives:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Xbox-only_games

Otogi, Outrun 2, Panzer Dragoon Orta, Phantom Dust, Gunvalkyrie, Jet Set Radio Future would be the ones I would look at.

98pacecar

2D shewties? Not many and only imports. Psyvariar 2, Shikigami no Shiro (3 different versions). If you do get into imports, Metal Wolf Chaos is worth checking out if only for the horrible storyline.

bartre

here's the 15 games i own, there's others worth playing, but for me, this is really all i like:
Advent rising
Amped 2 <- fuck you, this is one of the handful of awesomely fun sports games
Breakdown
Conker Live and Reloaded
Gunvalkyrie
Mechassault
Oddworld Munch's Odysee
Otogi
Otogi 2
Jet Set Radio Future
Shenmue II
Splinter cell (for softmods)
Panzer Dragoon Orta
Stubbs the Zombie
Unreal Championship 2

so basically, it's microsoft's Dreamcast for me :P

TheClash603

The only games I go back to play on the system are Ninja Gaiden, Outrun, Panzer Dragoon Orta, and Jet Set Radio.  SVC Chaos would get more play if I didn't have it on my AES.

Shenmue 2 was fun when it came out, but I dont think I will ever want to play it again.  The Halo games were also pretty good, but will be obsolete once the Master Chief Collection is released.

Finally, probably my favorite game on the system was Crimson Skies, but that was all about online dog-fights.  I haven't played it since BITD when people were online and I honestly don't remember ever playing single-player.

ClodBusted

Dead or Alive Xtreme Beach Volleyball. It has a 2-player offline mode (unlike DOA X2) and won't play on the Xbox 360.

Well, maybe Team Ninja realized that most people would play this game "alone' anyways.

Super Monkey Ball Deluxe is a decent combo of SMB1 and 2. I've played it once on the Xbox 360, where the emulation was acceptable. It had some slowdowns when there are many objects on the screen, and all the cutscenes looked bad (like if they had some washed out filter applied or were pre-rendered FMV instead of game graphics) and were out of sync with the subtitles. On Gamesack, they mentioned that the GameCube controller's analog stick is much more suited for this game, and yeah they're right.

CrackTiger

Psychonauts is very solid on Xbox and a mess on PS2. Unless you have the PC version and it's any good, the Xbox version is the only way to go.
Justin the Not-So-Cheery Black/Hack/CrackTiger helped Joshua Jackass, Andrew/Arkhan Dildovich and the DildoPhiles destroy 2 PC Engine groups: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook, then the other by Aaron Nanto!!! Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together! Both times he blamed the Aarons and their staff in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged/destructive/doxxing toxic turbo troll gang which he covers up for under the "community" euphemism!

PukeSter

Halo 1 is a masterpiece, and Halo 2 is good on Xbox too.

However, Halo 1 has the 360 remake, and 2 is getting an Xbox One remake in November in the Master Chief Collection.

o.pwuaioc

Quote from: PukeSter on 10/12/2014, 01:55 PMHalo 1 is a masterpiece, and Halo 2 is good on Xbox too.

However, Halo 1 has the 360 remake, and 2 is getting an Xbox One remake in November in the Master Chief Collection.
But then you'd have to own a 360 and an Xbox One.

esadajr

since Dreamcast times I've been into fiddling with homebrew stuff, so the Xbox was the perfect console to "move on". Great emulation box and media center.

Some of the games I enjoyed were Ninja Gaiden, DOA 3, Midtown Madness 3, Cray Taxi 3, Sonic Heroes, the Punisher, Conker, MGS 2, Tomb Raider, Mortal Kombat, etc, etc, etc
Gaming since 1985

DragonmasterDan

Outrun 2 is great.

It also has the superior version of a few other games I like. Outrun: Coast 2 Coast and Psychonauts.
--DragonmasterDan

JoshTurboTrollX

Quote from: guest on 10/11/2014, 08:57 PMOtogi, Outrun 2, Panzer Dragoon Orta, Phantom Dust, Gunvalkyrie, Jet Set Radio Future would be the ones I would look at.
I would add Shenmue 2, Knights of the Old Republic games and Jade Empire to this list.
Jossshhhhh...Legendary TurboTrollX-16: He revenge-bans PCE Developers/Ys IV Localizers from PCE Facebook groups and destroyed 2 PC Engine groups: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook, then the other by Aaron Nanto!!! Josh and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together! Both times he blamed the Aarons and their staff in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner (extortion!), never himself nor his deranged, destructive, toxic turbo troll gang!

ifkz

The one game that "sold" me on a 2nd hand OG Xbox was Toejam & Earl III:  Mission to Earth.  Nice to see what happened to the series after the Genesis games.  I wish you could skip the choir scenes though.  I bought my system bundle way back then from half.com when they still sold game systems.  This was also just as the old Game Crazy chain was clearancing out the system's games.

I have no idea what to do once the ancient hard disk crashes, I am kind of worried to use it.
THANKS TO ALL PCEFX members who have helped fix my hardware and add to my games library!  What a thrill!

bob

thanks for the suggestions guys.  One game I'm looking for is Jedi Academy which was an xbox exclusive, IIRC (aside from PC).

Medic_wheat

Quote from: galam on 10/15/2014, 01:52 PMthanks for the suggestions guys.  One game I'm looking for is Jedi Academy which was an xbox exclusive, IIRC (aside from PC).
Republic Commander is also a great gem

esadajr

Quote from: ifkz on 10/13/2014, 07:14 PMI have no idea what to do once the ancient hard disk crashes, I am kind of worried to use it.
Softmod it. Once you softmod it you can backup the C: and E: partition contents as well as the
the eeprom. That will allow you to prepare replacement hard drives. You'll need a PC with IDE ports.
Gaming since 1985