Retrogate having a sale on the TurboEverdrive +others

Started by technozombie, 11/28/2014, 08:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

technozombie

Retrogate is having a sale on the Turbo everdrive right now, its $63.20 as opposed to the regular $79. All their other everdrives are discounted also.

NightWolve

Good looking out reporting this. Let's see if the SNES one is cheaper or close to the group buy amount.

Regarding our 10-wholesale group-by: we did get them at $60 a piece, but because jtucci had to reship, that added another 5 bucks, so minus 3.20 means $1.80 that could be saved now... Not terribly embarrassing, but oh well.

NightWolve

Dammit, that's a deal, he's got the SNES one for $152 and I spent much this Black Friday, so PayPal Credit here I come, I can't let this pass me up now!

shop.retrogate . com/SD2SNES-Rev-F-SD2SNES.htm
-> https://krikzz.com/our-products/cartridges/fxpak-pro.html

NightWolve

Huh, some coincidence, I had almost exactly enough balance left over in my Paypal account to cover the total bill $167, which then left me with only .94 cents now... ;) F--k it, paid in full... More than I spent on my new tablet, but he deserves it - that's a helluva flashcart the man was able to produce and only for so long.

I'm assuming this is his version of a Black Friday sale and it's good for maybe till the end of the weekend ??

technozombie

I bought an sd2snes too. I've been wanting one for a awhile. Not going to find one for less than this. My parents are getting me a Turbo Everdrive for Christmas lol.

Gentlegamer

IMG

ToyMachine78

What's up with the shell? Does it come with a grey shell? Why +10 for a black one? The pics are confusing

jtucci31

Guys, we should just all return ours and buy these instead. I'm sure i still have the receipt lying around somewhere!

But really, sorry everyone. I tried to keep it cheap. I'm sure they charge crazy prices for shipping at retrogate.  :|

technozombie

I wouldn't say that the group buy was bad in any way. I don't think anyone could have predicted this discounted price.

DeshDildo

Thanks for the link.  Finally ordered a Turbo ED.  I've been meaning to for awhile so I might as well take advantage of the deal.  Now I anxiously await Jelloslug's ED covers to be available.
"You CAN'T prove Nulltard/DoxPhile caused ANY harm/damage/sabotage to PCEFX!! You have NO evidence he poached ANY members for his own failed PC Engine forum/site or was a conniving destructive saboteur! ZERO, ZIP, NADA!!! Nulltard did nothing wrong!"

NightWolve

The SNES shell is normally another 15 bucks, so 10 is a sale price. $167 is your total with shell and shipping. I could swear they were grey before, but OK by me, black will look good.

Keith Courage

With shipping it would be about $68 so almost the same price as the group buy done earlier. No way to know it would end up being cheaper later.

csgx1

Thanks for the heads up.  Any word on when the sale will end?

technozombie

Sorry, no idea when the sale will end. I just stumbled on it.

clackattack

Yeaya! found what I want as a stocking stuffer!
[If it's song and dance you want, song and dance you'll get!]

cjameslv

Quote from: Desh on 11/29/2014, 01:50 PMThanks for the link.  Finally ordered a Turbo ED.  I've been meaning to for awhile so I might as well take advantage of the deal.  Now I anxiously await Jelloslug's ED covers to be available.
Been waiting on that forever...

ToyMachine78

Quote from: clackattack on 11/29/2014, 05:12 PMYeaya! found what I want as a stocking stuffer!
That's a  DAMN nice stocking stuffer. I'd hate to see your expectations for a regular gift. Geez! :).  My stuffers are usually boxers, razers, cologne and the like

SuperGrafx

So this will work with both PC Engine AND TG-16 consoles?

NightWolve

Quote from: csgx1 on 11/29/2014, 02:50 PMThanks for the heads up.  Any word on when the sale will end?
Quote from: NightWolve on 11/28/2014, 10:02 PMI'm assuming this is his version of a Black Friday sale and it's good for maybe till the end of the weekend ??
Just checked...it's over dude, snooze you lose; not only is it back to $190 but it's also out of stock...

xcrement5x

Quote from: NightWolve on 12/01/2014, 07:25 AM
Quote from: csgx1 on 11/29/2014, 02:50 PMThanks for the heads up.  Any word on when the sale will end?
Quote from: NightWolve on 11/28/2014, 10:02 PMI'm assuming this is his version of a Black Friday sale and it's good for maybe till the end of the weekend ??
Just checked...it's over dude, snooze you lose; not only is it back to $190 but it's also out of stock...
I just saw this, sad I missed out as I would have loved to nab a cheap SD2SNES.  Maybe they're clearing old stock to gear up for a new production run with improvements.  That's what I tell myself at least....

NightWolve

FYI, I got a shipping notice with tracking number yesterday for the SD2SNES Black Friday order. The slow processing had at least one buyer worried if the orders at those prices had gone through, so yeah, FYI.

QuoteThis automated e-mail serves as confirmation that your order has been shipped.

Invoice #: xxxxxxxxxx

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Qty  | Item #  | Description                               | Date Shipped  | Tracking #   
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1    | SD2SNES | SD2SNES (Rev. F)                     | 12/08/2014    | xxxxxxxxxx 
                  Plastic shell: Multi region type (black)                                 

Thank you for shopping with us.

- retrogate store

geise

Quote from: guest on 11/28/2014, 09:42 PMYah, you know me... I like trolling best when there really isn't anything to troll.

Except for the case of Dragon's Curse. That game really stinks.
FUCK YOU!!!!!!!!!                                                                                                 O:)

DeshDildo

Quote from: NightWolve on 12/09/2014, 01:42 AMFYI, I got a shipping notice with tracking number yesterday for the SD2SNES Black Friday order. The slow processing had at least one buyer worried if the orders at those prices had gone through, so yeah, FYI.

QuoteThis automated e-mail serves as confirmation that your order has been shipped.

Qty  | Item #  | Description                               | Date Shipped  | Tracking #   
1    | SD2SNES | SD2SNES (Rev. F)                     | 12/08/2014    | xxxxxxxxxx 

- retrogate store
Thanks for the info.  I was also worried as I have not yet received a shipping notice on the Turbo ED I ordered.
"You CAN'T prove Nulltard/DoxPhile caused ANY harm/damage/sabotage to PCEFX!! You have NO evidence he poached ANY members for his own failed PC Engine forum/site or was a conniving destructive saboteur! ZERO, ZIP, NADA!!! Nulltard did nothing wrong!"

technozombie

Quote from: NightWolve on 12/09/2014, 01:42 AMFYI, I got a shipping notice with tracking number yesterday for the SD2SNES Black Friday order. The slow processing had at least one buyer worried if the orders at those prices had gone through, so yeah, FYI.

- retrogate store
Yeah, some of us are just really impatient. I live by Amazon Prime 2 day shipping.

wyndcrosser

For group buys, I know nintendoage did two so far. I got my Everdrive Famicom for about 15-20 bucks cheaper.

dallaspattern

Quote from: guest on 11/28/2014, 09:42 PMYah, you know me... I like trolling best when there really isn't anything to troll.

Except for the case of Dragon's Curse. That game really stinks.
That game is great! You don't know what you're talking about.

technozombie

Dragon's curse is one I'm really looking forward to playing once I get my everdrive.

technozombie

Quote from: guest on 12/10/2014, 11:36 AM
Quote from: technozombie on 12/10/2014, 11:30 AMDragon's curse is one I'm really looking forward to playing once I get my everdrive.
You'll be glad you can simply delete the ROM after you try it out and have lost $0 for the effort... but the 5 minutes you give the game, you'll never get those back.
You seem to really hate this game. I think we need to see an AVGN style rant of you playing this game, also you must wear a wig to look like Ron Jeremy.

clackattack

Quote from: guest on 11/29/2014, 06:44 PM
Quote from: clackattack on 11/29/2014, 05:12 PMYeaya! found what I want as a stocking stuffer!
That's a  DAMN nice stocking stuffer. I'd hate to see your expectations for a regular gift. Geez! :).  My stuffers are usually boxers, razers, cologne and the like
Those are the usual things i find in mine, was thinking about scooping this up and sneaking it in my stocking myself... Then I get to make my wife think shes crazy by convincing her that SHE actually bought it for me :D
[If it's song and dance you want, song and dance you'll get!]

NightWolve

Update: I picked up my SD2SNES yesterday from the Post Office. Haven't tested it yet though. The black SNES cart shell looks like it was made with a 3D printer to be honest and is less than stellar looking, but the cuts at the top for the full-sized SD slot and miniUSB are perfect. You're better off buying microSD cards these days though so they can fit in anything and as they include the adapter to make them a full-sized SD card. The miniUSB slot is if you don't have a SD slot on your PC, you can plug a male miniUSB to USB cable to load up the SD card directly with the flashcart. Your tablet or phone will have microSD, so you can load all the ROMs there, then with the SD adapter plug it in to the flashcart if you don't have these old miniUSB cables (that's the bigger size, not micro like your phone).

Anyway, will report back when I get to test it.

schnuth

My order passed through customs a week ago, but is taking it's sweet time to get to me. It's been stuck in Allen Park, MI for the past three days. At least it got scanned each of those days. Gotta love the USPS during the holidays. :(

NightWolve

Well, I gotta think about getting around to selling my original SNES carts, make up the $167 dollars I spent on this thing.

I got a beautiful 10" tablet for the same money with 32 GB drive, Windows 8.1, 2 GB RAM, microUSB slot, USB 3.0 slot (charge and use hub or other device at the same time), 1.33 GHz quadcore CPU, etc. - it works great, also got its minime 7" version for $30 bucks thanks to a coupon meant for a dead man that my neighbor/friend gave me! They're both awesome tablets giving you a full Windows 8 desktop in the palm of your hands! Cons only are the cameras are cheap 2 megapixels and resolution is 1280x800 (720p), so not true HD at 1920x1080. Also, batteries drain fast, but I don't care, they'll most always be plugged in for use.

Anyway, I'm not crazy about having spent that much on a flashcart, but I told myself I'll cover it when I get rid of all my originals. I'm only keeping my Squaresoft games, FFII, FFIII, Chrono Trigger, and The Secret of Evermore just for old times sake.

slinkyturd

Dragon's crush is pretty damn awful. Think Turbo's version of Zelda II on NES. Complete garbage!
70/95 US Turbochips

technozombie

My SD2SNES came in today, except I wasn't home and by the time I got home the Post Office was closed. So I can't get mine until Monday. I 'm very disappointed.  I'll be keeping all my carts, but I decided awhile back not to buy anymore unless I find them on the cheap at yard sales.  $167 is a lot but playing translated games on real hardware w/o having to buy repro-carts makes it worthwhile to me. I can't wait for X-mas, so I can get the TurboEverdrive. Btw, who was it that had the well arranged rom set? Can you PM me?

DeshDildo

IMG

Got my Turbo ED in the mail today.  Now if only there were a nice custom cover made for it.

NightWolve

http://sd2snes.de/blog/downloads

Tech Notes:

I'm sure others already figured it out, but FYI just in case: The SD2SNES requires that you load the BIOS/Operating System (AKA firmware) onto the same SD card that you're going to use for your SNES ROM set - it's not flashed inside. It will not work otherwise!

As no instructions were provided about this either on the retrogate sale page or with the box that it came with, I had to figure out why when I turn on my system I just get a "Can't find /sd2snes/menu.bin" message.

1) So after you load up your ROM set on some 2 to 4 GB SD card, download the latest firmware files from here: http://sd2snes.de/blog/downloads

2) On your SD card, you should have a folder called 'sd2snes' (when you unzip the download, it'll have it ready made) with all the needed firmware files copied to it.

3) You also need to find and copy all of these DSP ROM dumps below in the 'sd2snes' folder for DSPx / ST0010 support:

dsp1.bin
dsp1b.bin
dsp2.bin
dsp3.bin
dsp4.bin
st0010.bin

http://www.stoneagegamer.com/sd2snes.html

StoneAgeGamer, the guys with the overpriced fancy version collected them all and put them in the Downloads section. Click 'Downloads' and you'll find all the links.

or

1) Skip 1 to 3, and download my Zip archive that I just made which puts all downloads together for ya!

http://www.mediafire.com/download/at5l9c4t9lbcgxg/sd2snes_firmware_BIOS_v0.1.6.zip

By doing it this way, updating the firmware is easy, but out of the box, just copying a ROM on to a SD card and trying to load a game will not work... A printed little note in the box would've sufficed, something, somewhere, but it's understandable since the producer krik is a fan and expecting professional level products with guides and so forth is maybe too much... Still, for $167 I should have something about this step on the sale page ( http://shop.retrogate.com/SD2SNES-Rev-F-SD2SNES.htm ).

Overall Thoughts having now used it:  The OS is pretty advanced, I have to say! I hate that the Reset button takes you back to the game, not the menu, so you have to turn the system off/on to pick another game, but that's a minor point. Was looking to try Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island, but looks like that is one of the games that doesn't work with it, so too bad. I got to play some good ole Wild Guns, a fun SNES gem in Wild West themed third-person shooter style!

/10352087_10205962732136784_9160288406422866216_n.jpg

Bernie

Yeah, the N64 EverDrive is the same way.  You have to load the OS on it, and I believe the NES and regular SNES ones are as well, but I cannot remember.  The Turbo one is the only one I have not had to do that with, although you can still update the OS on it as well.

NightWolve

Alright, I put all the StoneAgeGamer downloads and the 0.1.6 firmware download together in one zip.

http://www.mediafire.com/download/at5l9c4t9lbcgxg/sd2snes_firmware_BIOS_v0.1.6.zip

Just extract to the root of the SD card with your ROMs as 'sd2snes' and that should do it.  Also, if you want a Bernie ROM pack special, PM me or him. ;)

I'll check out the possible quick key notes.

Decent SD2SNES Review Video looks like:
SD2SNES Review - Run Games on a Super Nintendo from an SD Card! MSU1 Super Road Blaster Demoed

Bernie

I actually just placed an order for the EverDrive MD.  There wasn't enough of a difference for me to justify spending the extra 75 bucks or so for the Mega EverDrive.  Already have my folder ready to go.  :)

Groover

I got a TurboEverdrive because I currently have a very small library and some games for me are beyond my reach for now. I still like hunting down games. That said great deal there. I bought mine there.

I think the SD2SNES might be next on my list. Although I want a flash cart for all that I can. It is good to hear feedback on these flash carts.
IMG

technozombie

Quote from: Bernie on 01/04/2015, 11:23 AMI actually just placed an order for the EverDrive MD.  There wasn't enough of a difference for me to justify spending the extra 75 bucks or so for the Mega EverDrive.  Already have my folder ready to go.  :)
Is the only difference in the 2 save states? I might order one of these soon.

GohanX

The Mega has much, much faster loading, cd ram functionality, save states, and support for larger rom files like the UMK3 hack.

xcrement5x

Quote from: JKM on 01/05/2015, 01:27 PMThe Mega has much, much faster loading, cd ram functionality, save states, and support for larger rom files like the UMK3 hack.
Yeah, I spent the extra for the Mega ED and don't regret it at all.

technozombie

Quote from: guest on 01/05/2015, 02:14 PM
Quote from: JKM on 01/05/2015, 01:27 PMThe Mega has much, much faster loading, cd ram functionality, save states, and support for larger rom files like the UMK3 hack.
I guess either option is still cheaper than buying M.U.S.H.A. I'm very bitter over that game as, I once had a chance to get it for $20 (CIB) but I was nice and let someone else buy it. That was 10+ years ago and I had no idea how expensive it would get.

BenG76

Cart may not work properly with region modded system

Has this been an issue for anyone? I have a region modded Duo R. I got it from Keith Courage back in 2013. Just was curious before I finally get around to buying the Turbo Everdrive.

Bernie

Quote from: BenG76 on 01/06/2015, 03:39 PMCart may not work properly with region modded system

Has this been an issue for anyone? I have a region modded Duo R. I got it from Keith Courage back in 2013. Just was curious before I finally get around to buying the Turbo Everdrive.
You should be fine with it.  I have never had issues.

BenG76

Quote from: Bernie on 01/06/2015, 03:44 PM
Quote from: BenG76 on 01/06/2015, 03:39 PMCart may not work properly with region modded system

Thanks for the reply.

xcrement5x

Quote from: technozombie on 01/05/2015, 11:28 PM
Quote from: guest on 01/05/2015, 02:14 PM
I guess either option is still cheaper than buying M.U.S.H.A. I'm very bitter over that game as, I once had a chance to get it for $20 (CIB) but I was nice and let someone else buy it. That was 10+ years ago and I had no idea how expensive it would get.
That sucks.  I passed on a beautiful copy at about $150 several years ago and kind of regret it, but not that much.

technozombie

Quote from: BenG76 on 01/06/2015, 03:53 PM
Quote from: Bernie on 01/06/2015, 03:44 PM

Thanks for the reply.
I got the Everdrive for Christmas and I have had no problems with my Doujindance region modded Duo-r.