@GTV reviews the Cosmic Fantasy 1-2 Switch collection by Edia, provides examples of the poor English editing/localization work. It's much worse for CF1. Rated "D" for disappointment, finding that TurboGrafx CF2 is better & while CF1's the real draw, Edia screwed it up...
Main Menu

TurboExpress Mod? Which would you do? 2.5 vs 3.5? And where to get LCD?

Started by JohnnyPhantom, 12/03/2012, 04:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JohnnyPhantom

Too Many Choices! Help Me Decide! ](*,)

Sorry for the crowded subject line... but here's where I'm at.

I'm awaiting on 2 TurboExpress units. 1 I will keep as stock as possible, replace the caps, and that's it. The other (hopefully has a bad Screen/dead pixels to justify doing this) will be modded with a new LCD screen and a Video out port.

My question to you all is.... which screen should I do?
I'll be sending the device to thesteve for the mod.
Currently he offers the 3.5" lcd and from what I've read on this forum he does a great job.
If I want to go with a 2.5" lcd, he hasn't found a good quality screen that he's happy with and will offer the service if I supply the LCD myself.

So here are my questions
What would you go with?
I like the bigger screen size offered by the 3.5" but you loose the original border/screen lens, and from the pictures I've seen the video doesn't go right to the edge of the 3.5" and theres still a blank/black border on the video so you don't really get the 3.5"

the 2.5" I also like since it preserves the original look of the system, you keep the screen lens that says NEC and TurboExpress on it. so I can't decide. but it's a bit smaller than the original 2.6" but MAN is it a better picture

Also can anyone tell me a great LCD screen thats the 2.5" and where to get it?

Thanks everyone!

NecroPhile

If you could find a quality 2.5" screen, I'd go for that to keep it looking original and because it's big enough for me.
Ultimate Forum Bully/Thief/Saboteur/Clone Warrior! BURN IN HELL NECROPHUCK!!!

hoobs88

I recently had Turbokon mod my Express with a 3.5 screen, controller port, and AV output (as well as change the caps). BlueBMW had previously installed a region switch. Both of them did a wonderful job!
1 title needed for a complete US Turbo Grafx collection: Magical Chase
Parasol Stars High Score = 119,783,770
https://www.pcengine-fx.com/forums/index.php?topic=9292.0
League of Legends Summoner Name = DeviousSideburns

Bernie

I just can't get into the Express or GT.  I got to play roflmao's system, and it just seemed like work to focus on the screen.  Its just.. too small.  I dunno, but for its time I guess it kicked butt.  :)

turbokon

Thanks hoobs:)

The 3.5" LCD is a better quality LCD then the 2.5" LCD I used. Keep in mind the stock LCD is 2.6".
Turbo fan since 1991 after owning my first system.

Check out my website:)
www.tg16pcemods.com

Flare65

Got my Express modded to the larger screen by theSteve and I love it.  He did a great job and I can actually read the text with my horrible eye sight.

esteban

IMGIMG IMG  |  IMG  |  IMG IMG

Keith Courage

I never play the turbo express that I own. Just sits there on a shelf. Basically the whole point of owning a portable game system is to have something to keep you busy when riding in the back seat of your parents car on a long trip and I don't do that anymore. Same reason I don't use a portable CD player or MP3 player for anything. I'd rather wait to get home, crack a beer, and sink into my couch in front of my 36inch CRT TV for some Turbo grafx time.

However, if I had to upgrade or change the screen for any reason I'd keep it 2.5. I believe Turbokon has found a suitable 2.5 replacement. Looks better than the original to where you can read text much better as well.

turbokon

Yeah, the 2.5" is not perfect but still better than the stock LCD.

I spend more time playing with the express than the home console. I love the express. In fact I love them so much I have four of them:)

www.tg16pcemods.com

JohnnyPhantom

Ah looks like i was mislead by a bad picture, the picture does seem to go all the way to the edge for a 3.5" hmmm that may be my final verdict.. hmmm

JohnnyPhantom

Here's what threw me off

First I found this, doesn't look like picture goes to the edge.

IMG

then I found this, which shows the screen picture all the way to the edge.

(lost image)

(as far as my eyes can tell)
Not sure if its a game thing or a difference in LCDs used

turbokon

That first picture is of my lap:)

I can tell you on some LCDs, it's slightly smaller then the acrylic screen it comes with so yeah the picture doesn't go all the wee to the edge.

www.tg16pcemods.com

JohnnyPhantom

Quote from: turbokon on 12/04/2012, 12:48 PMThat first picture is of my lap:)

I can tell you on some LCDs, it's slightly smaller then the acrylic screen it comes with so yeah the picture doesn't go all the wee to the edge.
Ahh okay, that makes sense, thats what threw me off when I first looked at the 3.5". but now I'm decided, the 3.5" is the way to go

and nice lap.

now I just play the waiting game for my expresses to arrive

GohanX

My advice would be to just trust Steve and let him do his thing. He's played with screen replacement in the thing more than anybody.

thesteve

i just searched screens, and did find a 2.5 (not sure if its the one turbokon is using)
without buying and testing, quality is in question

turbokon

I know this is an old thread but this is the best 2.5"LCD I found so far for use in the LCD mod.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/230717850388

www.tg16pcemods.com