OMG! ZIRIA! ZIRIA!! ZIRIA!!! IT ACTUALLY HAPPENED!! 34 YEARS LATER!! The epic/legendary Tengai Makyou/Far East of Eden: Ziria JRPG has finally been localized! Supper the Subtitler struck again! Simply unstoppable, NOTHING can prevent him from TOTAL PCECD localization domination!!!! WHACHA GONNA DO BROTHER?!?!
Main Menu

Game Boy Advance options

Started by crazydean, 12/09/2016, 03:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

crazydean

So, I picked up a Game Boy Pocket today, and I think I want to get a GBA. The biggest problem is that I like the shape of the original GBA better than the SP, but the screen isn't backlit. Has anyone tried a reproduction screen, or should I just buy an SP AGS-101? I definitely don't want to buy an original AGS-101 just to rip the screen out and shove it into the GBA. Also, are there better alternatives that you've found?

CrackTiger

I've played GBA games extensively on all models and on a couple DS models. When I decided to get a definitive playing unit, I bought a refurbed "brighter" SP system.
Justin the Not-So-Cheery Black/Hack/CrackTiger helped Joshua Jackass, Andrew/Arkhan Dildovich and the DildoPhiles destroy 2 PC Engine groups: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook, then the other by Aaron Nanto!!! Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together! Both times he blamed the Aarons and their staff in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged/destructive/doxxing toxic turbo troll gang which he covers up for under the "community" euphemism!

NecroPhile

Because they're so cute and ultra portable (and a great screen), a micro would be tempting, but I'd go with a DS lite.  It seems more practical, better fitting for regular sized hands, and plays DS games too.
Ultimate Forum Bully/Thief/Saboteur/Clone Warrior! BURN IN HELL NECROPHUCK!!!

SignOfZeta

The Lite doesnt play 8 bit GB games.

I have a lot of different GBA compatible devices, probably most of them. My preference is the Micro and the GB Player. If you don't mind how dumb and ugly it is, the original DS is pretty cool too.

The Micro is small, but it's well designed. The OG GBA isn't. It's large enough that it should be comfortable but it isn't. It's also easy to drop, hard to find a good color, and almost impossible to see. IMHO, it sucks. The Micro on the other hand is beautiful. Like some LE Sony Walkman from the 90s, the all metal hand made in Japan ones. It's not actually that nice of course since it was only $100 but it's nice. And metal. Metal is good.

The color bias of various GBA screen changes a lot. So much so that some carts actually have a setting for it. The "better" screens on the Lite and GBASP2 have all their colors way out of whack. The OG SP had a blue tint to everything, but the Lite abd SP2 went totally in the opposite direction. I don't care for it.

The most neutral screen is probably the OG DS. It also plays Z80 games.
IMG

Gypsy

Yeah most DS systems I have come across have some kind of colour tint.

For GBA games I would agree that the player for Cube is quite nice. I've not tried a micro so I can't speak to that. I typically use the player or the 2nd model SP.

jperryss

Quote from: guest on 12/09/2016, 03:12 PMI've played GBA games extensively on all models and on a couple DS models. When I decided to get a definitive playing unit, I bought a refurbed "brighter" SP system.
Same here. I love the design of the SP to this day and the original SP is the only Nintendo product I've ever purchased on launch day (I use a backlit 101 now).

I don't care for the proprietary headphone jack, though.

SignOfZeta

I use the original SP a lot. I guess I like the blue tint. It can be hard on your hands but the big screen and folding case make up for it. Maybe the single best portable ever. Mine is launch day and has zero problems. Even the original battery still runs long enough that I don't notice any deterioration of it. Nintendo sure can build em.
IMG

CrackTiger

I bought a Micro new when they came out and forced myself to play it a lot. The gimmick factor is neat, but the screen is a lower resolution than the games and poorer quality overall.
Justin the Not-So-Cheery Black/Hack/CrackTiger helped Joshua Jackass, Andrew/Arkhan Dildovich and the DildoPhiles destroy 2 PC Engine groups: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook, then the other by Aaron Nanto!!! Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together! Both times he blamed the Aarons and their staff in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged/destructive/doxxing toxic turbo troll gang which he covers up for under the "community" euphemism!

SignOfZeta

Quote from: guest on 12/09/2016, 04:13 PMI bought a Micro new when they came out and forced myself to play it a lot. The gimmick factor is neat, but the screen is a lower resolution than the games and poorer quality overall.
...what?

[edit] is this a Turbo Express related joke?
IMG

NecroPhile

Quote from: CrackTiger on 12/09/2016, 04:13 PMI bought a Micro new when they came out and forced myself to play it a lot. The gimmick factor is neat, but the screen is a lower resolution than the games and poorer quality overall.
You sure about that?  I thought (and googlerins agrees) that it sported a smaller screen but the same resolution and uses a backlit screen equal to the ags-101.
Ultimate Forum Bully/Thief/Saboteur/Clone Warrior! BURN IN HELL NECROPHUCK!!!

technozombie

My vote goes for the AGS-101. The SP form factor is a bit cramped, but as Zeta said, the folding design is great. It easily fits in your pocket and you never have to worry about the screen. My launch SP is scratched to hell, but the screen is perfect. On a side note there is a Pot. screw behind the battery, on the orginal model that will adjust the contrast or brightness,can't remember which it is really. Anyways, my orginal SP was really washed out looking and I was able to adjust it for much better visibility.

johnnykonami

I also settled on the AGS-101 SP.  I remember seeing a backlight mod or two for the original GBA, but I'm pretty happy with my SP.  Managed to get a Graphite/Onyx gray or whatever color the dark 101 is in pretty great condition.  Been playing mostly original GB games on it, but I did do a run of Castlevania CotM last year around this time.

SignOfZeta

Quote from: guest on 12/09/2016, 04:40 PM
Quote from: guest on 12/09/2016, 04:13 PMI bought a Micro new when they came out and forced myself to play it a lot. The gimmick factor is neat, but the screen is a lower resolution than the games and poorer quality overall.
You sure about that?  I thought (and googlerins agrees) that it sported a smaller screen but the same resolution and uses a backlit screen equal to the ags-101.
That was the point of the thing. It was to be a premium product. Shoving in some screen from wherever with the wrong resolution would be the opposite of that.

I'll try to get some macro shots showing just how laser crisp the Micro is later tonight if I remember.
IMG

crazydean

The DS doesn't play OG GB so that's a no go. I wish I could go with the micro but I have large hands and it would be way too cramped.

Medic_wheat

SignOfZeta

Quote from: crazydean on 12/09/2016, 09:13 PMThe DS doesn't play OG GB so that's a no go. I wish I could go with the micro but I have large hands and it would be way too cramped.
I thought for sure that the OG DS played 8 bit GB games and it was the Lite that broke tradition, but apparently I was misremembering. The transition made for Lite was in shrinking the case to the point where GBA games stuck out from the system instead of fitting flush.

Man, Nintendo makes a lot of Gameboy shit.

GB Player plays EVERYTHING that will physically fit into it, btw. It lacks Super Gameboy functionality though.
IMG

ClodBusted

I really like my GBA SP (NES Classic Edition), it was the first new videogame system that I bought with my own hard earned money. I still use it when commuting to work to fill the boring 30 minutes train ride, at the moment I'm playing Advance Wars.

The screen itself with its light blueish lighting tint is acceptable to me.

I wish the GBA and GB Player had the option to edit colour palettes manually like the Super GameBoy, additionally to the GBC's predefined colour palettes for monochrome GB games.

TheClash603

I have played thousands of hours across the various Nintendo handheld systems and the GBA SP may be my favorite of all.  Some complain about the shape, but I played an entire 162 game baseball season on one in a two month period where I had a job that involved very little work and I never had any problems.

The Micro actually makes the lower part of my hands begin to numb after a little while, no other handheld ever has and it may be because I have large hands.

In my opinion a GBA SP and a New 3DS XL are must own items, allows for play of all handheld Nintendo games and both systems are great.

Regarding the GBA SP I use, it is the launch model blue (cobalt?) system.  I have the one with the brighter screen as well, but I typically use the one I got at launch for nostalgia purposes.  Battery works well still too!  My launch DS is the only system I ever needed to change the battery, it started running for less than 60 minutes fully charged at one point.

wildfruit

I've had an original gba and an SP. my biggest gripe with the SP is not being able to charge and use headphones at the same time.
A DS/DS lite is great for gba games but my go to way to play is on a PSP.

SignOfZeta

IMG

Some experiments with GB Micro and 40mm Nikor Micro lens. I recently had to totally reformat my computer and I haven't managed to get my old software working %100 so these images are being hosted by some bullshit free service. I can't get it to jive with my ftp for some reason. Anyway, if you are reading this a month in the future and the links are all broke, that's why. Free shit sucks. Sorry.

Close ups:

IMG

IMG

IMG

IMG

IMG

IMG

IMG

IMG

IMG

IMG

Seems basically perfect to me.
IMG

ClodBusted

Too bad the Micro does only play GBA games, no GB support.

TheClash603

Micro has the best screen of the GBA line for sure, first time I saw it I remember being floored by how bright and colorful it is.  With that said, it isn't a big hand friendly system, so not my GBA of choice.

I think that is a good word here, choice.  Most GBA systems are fairly cheap, anyone entering into this system can play around with a few of them and make their choice, with the help of all the posts here.

crazydean

Quote from: wildfruit on 12/10/2016, 02:44 PMI've had an original gba and an SP. my biggest gripe with the SP is not being able to charge and use headphones at the same time.
I already have a PSP with NES and SNES emulators on it which doesn't work great for those systems. The emulation is good, but even though it has the same control layout as the original SNES, it's difficult to play action or platformers for some reason.

However, the PSP may be the way to go with other portable systems. Anyone else tried this?

roflmao

For the longest time, my favorite way to play GB games was via the Gamecube's adapter. It get even better when I purchased decent s-video cables. But then I got a Retron 5 and, holy moly do GBA games (and the rest of the GB family) look amazing. And using a SNES controller instead of GC controller is so much more comfortable.

The DS is great for GBA games because they are so much cheaper than a 101 screen SP. I also purchased an SP back when they first came out, and it still runs like a champ and I still use it quite a bit.

GaijinD

Quote from: crazydean on 12/13/2016, 02:26 PMThe emulation is good, but even though it has the same control layout as the original SNES, it's difficult to play action or platformers for some reason.
What model do you have? I don't recall if later models improved it, but the original PSP-1000 has a lousy d-pad. It's given me problems acknowledging diagonal inputs, for instance.
Feel like a treasure game on a rainy day.

crazydean

SignOfZeta

The problem isn't the d-pad as much as it is a slippery as fuck case. I have a hard time really jamming on a PSP like it was a SNES pad. I don't think it could take it, honestly. My PSP is used mostly for RPGs. I think playing Battletoads or some shit on it would obliterate its pathetic little delicate body. If not then the impact with the ground from me accidentky dropping the wet piece of soap certainly would.
IMG

TheClash603

Quote from: guest on 12/13/2016, 04:08 PMFor the longest time, my favorite way to play GB games was via the Gamecube's adapter. It get even better when I purchased decent s-video cables. But then I got a Retron 5 and, holy moly do GBA games (and the rest of the GB family) look amazing. And using a SNES controller instead of GC controller is so much more comfortable.

The DS is great for GBA games because they are so much cheaper than a 101 screen SP. I also purchased an SP back when they first came out, and it still runs like a champ and I still use it quite a bit.
This is the first good thing I ever heard about the Retron 5, now I want something I never wanted lol.

SignOfZeta

Apparently there is some sort of homebrew that will allow the Gameboy Player to put out much better video. I personally don't have a problem with it, nor do I have a way to run unsigned code on my Cube, but it's an interesting idea.
IMG

Medic_wheat

Quote from: SignOfZeta on 12/13/2016, 11:03 PMApparently there is some sort of homebrew that will allow the Gameboy Player to put out much better video. I personally don't have a problem with it, nor do I have a way to run unsigned code on my Cube, but it's an interesting idea.
I believe what you are referring to is in the youtube video I linked at the first page.

technozombie

Quote from: crazydean on 12/13/2016, 02:26 PM
Quote from: wildfruit on 12/10/2016, 02:44 PMI've had an original gba and an SP. my biggest gripe with the SP is not being able to charge and use headphones at the same time.
I already have a PSP with NES and SNES emulators on it which doesn't work great for those systems. The emulation is good, but even though it has the same control layout as the original SNES, it's difficult to play action or platformers for some reason.

However, the PSP may be the way to go with other portable systems. Anyone else tried this?
I played through FFVI with the color and sound patches on a PSP and it was great. Action or platforming games may be different, but my impression is good.

GaijinD

Quote from: SignOfZeta on 12/13/2016, 09:44 PMThe problem isn't the d-pad as much as it is a slippery as fuck case. I have a hard time really jamming on a PSP like it was a SNES pad.
I don't recall ever finding it quite that slippery, though I have accidentally flipped the power switch tons of times. Good thing it just puts the system to sleep.
Feel like a treasure game on a rainy day.

wildfruit

I had a psp 1000 and yea it was slippery. When the umd drive failed and ,after dropping it several times, the battery wouldn't fit in properly, I replaced it with an E1000 model. It's much easier to hold, has a matt finish. No slipping.

csgx1

I'm a big fan of handhelds and the Gameboy line.  I've bought almost all of the standard Gameboys when they were initially sold in stores.  The Micro is my preferred system for GBA games.  I'm still impressed with the design, the screen and the size.  The Micro is close to double the size of a GBA cart and yet the cart doesn't even stick out when inserted. 

You can't go wrong with getting a GBA SP ags-101 since it plays the older games too. 

I'm also interested in hearing more about swapping the original GBA with replacement backlit screens if anyone has any experience with them. Is it as simple as unplugging the old screen and plugging in a new one?   I still have the old Afterburner front light kit installed in my original GBA.  Not great at all by today's standards but it was impressive 15 years ago. 

Quote from: GaijinD on 12/13/2016, 05:59 PM
Quote from: crazydean on 12/13/2016, 02:26 PMThe emulation is good, but even though it has the same control layout as the original SNES, it's difficult to play action or platformers for some reason.
What model do you have? I don't recall if later models improved it, but the original PSP-1000 has a lousy d-pad. It's given me problems acknowledging diagonal inputs, for instance.
I totally agree, my psp-1000 dpad is pure crap.  It's stiff and diagonal directions seem to not fully register at times, making fighting moves (quarter circle moves) almost impossible to pull off.  Even playing a simple shooter like Gradius Collections is quite a chore.  I think the level of how bad the dpad varies with different psps since I've tested a friends psp-1000 and the dpad was a little better than mine.

SignOfZeta

I can't decide what my favorite feature is of the OG PSP. It's a tie between the Square button getting stuck under the edge of the screen/case and the way you can cause the game to eject by twisting it slightly.
IMG

technozombie

I watched tbis video after it was recommended to me by YouTube and I thought it was appropriate for this thread.

https://www.youtube.com/shared?ci=frpPEEQ6nyM

deubeul

Quote from: csgx1 on 12/15/2016, 01:21 PMI'm also interested in hearing more about swapping the original GBA with replacement backlit screens if anyone has any experience with them. Is it as simple as unplugging the old screen and plugging in a new one?   I still have the old Afterburner front light kit installed in my original GBA.  Not great at all by today's standards but it was impressive 15 years ago. 
I recently did that mod, it's not as simple as just plugging the new screen but it's not a hard mod.
You need to remove a bit of plastic to fit in the thicker screen and solder a wire to a ribbon adapter.

you can find guides on the internet, these are pretty clear and simple:

http://retrogamesandhardware.com/custom-gameboy-advance-backlight-mod/
https://rosecoloredgaming.files.wordpress.com/2013/11/gba-back-light-instructions-v41.pdf

Screen/GBA models compatibilities:

https://gist.github.com/grantland/8c112548b44aa87dced2

There's also a big thread here, usefull for subtilities and troubleshooting:

https://gbatemp.net/threads/gba-backlight-agb-001.328487/page-39

Amazing mod, can't get enough of my GBA since I did it.

DragonmasterDan

Tied to the GameBoy Interface homebrew for GameCube discussion earlier. I'm using that on a pair of GameCubes and it works pretty well though an unofficial cartridge I have has had problems with it (but not with a GBA SP)
--DragonmasterDan

sirhcman

Quote from: deubeul on 12/27/2016, 06:02 AM
Quote from: csgx1 on 12/15/2016, 01:21 PMI'm also interested in hearing more about swapping the original GBA with replacement backlit screens if anyone has any experience with them. Is it as simple as unplugging the old screen and plugging in a new one?   I still have the old Afterburner front light kit installed in my original GBA.  Not great at all by today's standards but it was impressive 15 years ago. 
I recently did that mod, it's not as simple as just plugging the new screen but it's not a hard mod.
You need to remove a bit of plastic to fit in the thicker screen and solder a wire to a ribbon adapter.

you can find guides on the internet, these are pretty clear and simple:

http://retrogamesandhardware.com/custom-gameboy-advance-backlight-mod/
https://rosecoloredgaming.files.wordpress.com/2013/11/gba-back-light-instructions-v41.pdf

Screen/GBA models compatibilities:

https://gist.github.com/grantland/8c112548b44aa87dced2

There's also a big thread here, usefull for subtilities and troubleshooting:

https://gbatemp.net/threads/gba-backlight-agb-001.328487/page-39

Amazing mod, can't get enough of my GBA since I did it.
Thanks for this. I have at least 10 backlit gba screens just sitting in a box and a bunch of the model 1 gba's too. I need to do this mod on a few of them :)