@GTV reviews the Cosmic Fantasy 1-2 Switch collection by Edia, provides examples of the poor English editing/localization work. It's much worse for CF1. Rated "D" for disappointment, finding that TurboGrafx CF2 is better & while CF1's the real draw, Edia screwed it up...
Main Menu

Playing American on Turbo Duo R?

Started by joerichabf, 04/03/2017, 06:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

joerichabf

Hi I was wondering if its possible to play American on the Turbo Duo I dont want to mode the system itself with what I have seen the switch.

Thanks

SignOfZeta

Quote from: joerichabf on 04/03/2017, 06:31 PMHi I was wondering if its possible to play American on the Turbo Duo I dont want to mode the system itself with what I have seen the switch.

Thanks
I've always been American and I've played a lot of Turbo so my answer is...what's the question again?

The Turbo Duo was only released in the US so of course it plays US games. CDs are free, cards are locked.
IMG

joerichabf

Yes I am able to play the CD's

but im guessing the American Cards are unable to play

CGQuarterly

It's so weird that this question has never come up before in the history of the internet.

Sarumaru

elmer

C'mon guys ... this could possibly be a serious question from someone that doesn't speak English and is using Google Translate or something like that.

I know that it's just-as-likely to be another trolling-attempt ... but there's no harm in being polite.

Quote from: joerichabf on 04/03/2017, 06:31 PMHi I was wondering if its possible to play American on the Turbo Duo I dont want to mode the system itself with what I have seen the switch.

Thanks
joerichabf: Unless you console has been specifically modified ...

If you have an American Turbo Duo, then it should play American HuCard games, but not Japanese HuCard games.

If you have a Japanese PC Engine Duo / Duo-R / Duo-RX, then it should play Japanese HuCard games, but not American HuCard games.

Both versions will play CD games from both regions.

Sarumaru

Elmer's right. Let us all hold hands~

Sarumaru

Quote from: guest on 04/03/2017, 08:53 PMIf you do not want to mod the console, there are a number of converters that plug into the card slot, and you just insert the games into them. Also, there exists a thing called "chopsado" which can be taped onto a US card to make it work in a JP system (or vice versa).

Converter boards are on eBay quite frequently, whereas chopsados can be obtained from PCEFX user Chop5

Also, DoxPhile.
Fix DoxPhile!

EmperorIng

If you have a Japanese system, there are very, very few American Turbochips that would really justify the hassle of either modding, or buying a converter. I more or less avoid American TurboChips; I think I have... one?

All CD games are region-free without modding, so you can buy whichever one you prefer - Japanese is usually cheaper.
A stack of CD-Rs are even cheaper!

SignOfZeta

Before we can give an exact answer we need to know the exact question. He can only use a converter if it's a US system. He says that he has a "Turbo" system but can't play "Turbo" games. Obviously that's not the case unless this system has already been modded.

It's true though, I wouldn't go out of my way to play the US HuCARD library. There are one or two cards that would make it worth it but seriously there are like a billion PCE games you can let a couple slide, especially since those games are probably all $100+ each now.
IMG

technozombie

If they are having to use google translate to ask a question in English, they aren't likely to be interested in English language games anyways.

ClodBusted

The thread's title says "Turbo Duo R".

I guess the OP guy is talking about a PC Engine Duo R.

SignOfZeta

IMG

majors

TG/PCE Collection.
"Booze should be a choice, not a privilege" -KCDC (The FP)

NecroPhile

Quote from: majors on 04/04/2017, 08:19 AMRegardless of the US or JP region of console, answer: http://db-electronics.ca/product/pc-henshin/
+1.  Assuming you have a PC Engine Duo-R (or any JP system), this is the only option for region converters that don't require an internal mod.

Personally, I'd rather spend the $70 on a Turbo Everdrive.  That way you'll be able to play US games on a JP system and have access to homebrew and translation hacks.
Ultimate Forum Bully/Thief/Saboteur/Clone Warrior! BURN IN HELL NECROPHUCK!!!

geise

Dicer

CrackTiger

Quote from: majors on 04/04/2017, 08:19 AMRegardless of the US or JP region of console, answer: http://db-electronics.ca/product/pc-henshin/
Converters can stretch the card port's pins and that one has compatibility issues with HuCards like SFII' and Arcade Cards.
Justin the Not-So-Cheery Black/Hack/CrackTiger helped Joshua Jackass, Andrew/Arkhan Dildovich and the DildoPhiles destroy 2 PC Engine groups: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook, then the other by Aaron Nanto!!! Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together! Both times he blamed the Aarons and their staff in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged/destructive/doxxing toxic turbo troll gang which he covers up for under the "community" euphemism!

Sarumaru

Quote from: guest on 04/04/2017, 04:43 AMThe thread's title says "Turbo Duo R".

I guess the OP guy is talking about a PC Engine Duo R.
Lol yer all dix

Quote from: Dicer on 04/04/2017, 10:57 AM
PLAY AMERICAN
IMG
PLAY AMERICAN
best gif evarrr

ClodBusted

Turrican does what American't.

majors

Quote from: guest on 04/04/2017, 11:13 AM...that one has compatibility issues with HuCards like SFII' and Arcade Cards.
I was not aware. From the Retro Roundtable podcast, Rene says he often make slight revisions over time. Maybe he'll address that.

Of course I just went 100% PCE. No converters need apply. TED is also a perfect answer.
TG/PCE Collection.
"Booze should be a choice, not a privilege" -KCDC (The FP)

SignOfZeta

I think we should just close this forum since "get a flash card/CD-R" makes up the most popular post at this point.
IMG

esteban

IMGIMG IMG  |  IMG  |  IMG IMG

Strider77

Quote from: SignOfZeta on 04/04/2017, 05:26 PM"get a flash card/CD-R" makes up the most popular post at this point.
Gross

EmperorIng

Quote from: SignOfZeta on 04/04/2017, 05:26 PMI think we should just close this forum since "get a flash card/CD-R" makes up the most popular post at this point.
It's important to start a new movement. I recommend some replacements:

1) "The PC Engine is THE console for Digital Comics!"

2) "Which Valis game gives you least amount of agonizing ball pain?"

3) "Sissies play Mario, but real G's play Rainbow Islands"

I'm partial to #2, since it can be taken in several different directions!

CrackTiger

Quote from: Strider77 on 04/19/2017, 05:40 PM
Quote from: SignOfZeta on 04/04/2017, 05:26 PM"get a flash card/CD-R" makes up the most popular post at this point.
Gross
You don't like playing games?
Justin the Not-So-Cheery Black/Hack/CrackTiger helped Joshua Jackass, Andrew/Arkhan Dildovich and the DildoPhiles destroy 2 PC Engine groups: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook, then the other by Aaron Nanto!!! Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together! Both times he blamed the Aarons and their staff in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged/destructive/doxxing toxic turbo troll gang which he covers up for under the "community" euphemism!

Psycho Punch

Q: Which Valis game gives you the least amount of agonizing ball pain?
A: Valis X is actually quite pleasing to the testicles.
This Toxic Turbo Troll & Clone Warrior calls himself "Burning Fight!!" on Neo-Geo.com
For a good time, reach out to: aleffrenan94@gmail.com or punchballmariobros@gmail.com
Like DildoKobold, dildos are provided free of charge, no need to bring your own! :lol:
He also ran scripts to steal/clone this forum which blew up the error logs!
I had to delete THOUSANDS of error log entries cause of this nutcase!
how_to_spell_ys_sign_origin_ver.webp

Gypsy

Quote from: guest on 04/19/2017, 06:25 PM
Quote from: guest on 04/19/2017, 05:40 PM
Gross
You don't like playing games?
Playing games is for nerds. Real men collect cellophane and cardboard.

ccovell

Since nobody has adequately answered the question  :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

Converters allow US Turbo games to match the pin configuration of the PC-Engine / Duo-R slot

HOWEVER

US Turbo games still will NOT run on a regular PCE / JP Duo(R), as the games themselves have US console detection & lockout.

You will have to mod the console, by lifting pin 29 of the 6280 CPU, as shown here: http://www.mmmonkey.co.uk/multi-region-pc-engine-turbo-grafx-16/
... in addition to using a converter.

The alternative is to use a flash cart (pin switching on the cart itself!) and use region-hacked US games.

NecroPhile

Quote from: ccovell on 04/19/2017, 08:14 PMSince nobody has adequately answered the question  :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:
I guess majors and I should use a bigger font.  :P

MNKyDeth

Quote from: ccovell on 04/19/2017, 08:14 PMYou will have to mod the console, by lifting pin 29 of the 6280 CPU, as shown here: http://www.mmmonkey.co.uk/multi-region-pc-engine-turbo-grafx-16/
... in addition to using a converter.
I would like to mention, under no circumstance should anyone be lifting leg 29. This is dangerous and you can break off the leg.
The whole point is to connect leg 29 to ground. All you need to do to ground leg 29 is to put a little solder blob to pin 30 and just bridge the two legs together. Simple, easy and no risk to the system.

ccovell

Quote from: guest on 04/20/2017, 09:28 AM
Quote from: ccovell on 04/19/2017, 08:14 PMSince nobody has adequately answered the question  :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:
I guess majors and I should use a bigger font.  :P
Why do you associate size with adequacy, eh?  Hmmm?  Hmmm?

NecroPhile

Ha!  It's just gotta be big enough for old farts to be able to read it.  :mrgreen: