10/31/2023: Localization News - Dead of the Brain 1!

No, NOT a trick, a Halloween treat! Presenting the Dead of the Brain 1 English patch by David Shadoff for the DEAD last official PC Engine CD game published by NEC before exiting the console biz in 1999! I helped edit/betatest and it's also a game I actually finished in 2023, yaaay! Shubibiman also did a French localization. github.com/dshadoff/DeadoftheBrain
twitter.com/NightWolve/PCENews
Main Menu

You favorite PCE Boss/bad guys

Started by Nando, 08/27/2013, 10:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nando

Ran into this cool little page that got me thinking, which bosses have I really enjoyed and have surprised me on the PCE.

http://mortal.shang.free.fr/pages/shmup_boss_pc_engine.htm

I've mentioned it before, these two screens shots sold me on the TG16 when I was a kid

IMG
IMG

Then I learned about the PC Engine and THIS

IMG

So, what are you favorite end bosses and or baddies from any and all of the PCE library?

NecroPhile

I like the Black Pearl and his cronies.
Ultimate Forum Bully/Thief/Saboteur/Clone Warrior! BURN IN HELL NECROPHUCK!!!

Official Ninja

Darm. Also the bosses in Deep Blue.

IMG Deep-Blue-TurboGrafx-16-1989.jpg

Nando

CrackTiger

Maou Garp from TM/FEOE is the coolest villain, but each if the Daimon Priest demon form battles is incredibly epic.

The Darm redux in Ys IV looks amazing and is a great gift to Ys I & II fans. The bird boss on top of the tree is also memorable.

The lava stage boss in Spriggan is one if the greatest scenes in 16-bit gen gaming.

I particularly love the Zone Z boss in Super Darius II and the Sting/Manta Ray boss in Super Darius /Plus.

The Meka Dragon in Dragon's Curse is cool itself and what it represents.

Dark Fact's battle is timeless and epic across versions.

The final lizard men boss fight in Anearth Fantasy Stories is one if those key points that reminds you how soecial the game is.

For the Legend of Xanadu and Cho Aniki games, it would be easier to make a list of the least impressive boss fights.

Black Bomberman battle in Star Parodia just screams PC ENGINE.

Too many memorable and impressive bosses are too hard to describe and are better represented by screen shots, which I can't post right now.
Justin the Not-So-Cheery Black/Hack/CrackTiger helped Joshua Jackass, Andrew/Arkhan Dildovich and the DildoPhiles destroy 2 PC Engine groups: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook, then the other by Aaron Nanto!!! Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together! Both times he blamed the Aarons and their staff in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged/destructive/doxxing toxic turbo troll gang which he covers up for under the "community" euphemism!

esteban

THE BEST (MINI)BOSS(ES):

IMG IMG
(A) Le House Splat Splat: Your beloved girlfriend screams "Help me!" and transforms into a grotesque beast that immediately attacks. You have no choice, you must defend yourself from her retractable razor claws. After the battle is over, you kneel down and tenderly embrace her as she literally disintegrates into the ether.

IMG
(B) Le Laire Monstre: Many of the bosses are memorable, but the final boss (Jumbo Dragon) is particularly exhilarating because you can't believe (1) you made it to the end, (2) you have no time to appreciate how kool/kute boss is because he doesn't die quickly, even if you have skills, (3) you are choking and about to get GAME OVER after all the hard work and you're CHOKING and FALLING APART because you have no real plan, no strategy, you're just CHOKING...

IMG
(C) Jagu (d'axe legendre): You always feel like you accomplished something just getting to him...but the battle (if you have strategy and use MAXE AXE POWERE) is epic.   When the MAX AXE smashes and thunders Jagu's knees...HELL YES YOU FEEL MIGHTY.
IMGIMG IMG  |  IMG  |  IMG IMG

OldRover

Calabruja in Lucretia. :lol:

/calabruja.png

How can you not love a crazy-ass witch who has her butt stuck in a jack-o-lantern and tosses evilly-grinning candy corn? :lol:

Aside from that... the final boss of Sinistron...

/sinistronfinalboss.png

...Dead Moon's final boss...

/deadmoonfinalboss.png

...and Ankoku Densetsu's final boss.

legaxe213-finalboss.png
Turbo Badass Rank: Janne (6 of 12 clears)
Conquered so far: Sinistron, Violent Soldier, Tatsujin, Super Raiden, Shape Shifter, Rayxanber II

esteban

Old_Rover inspired me to add images.  :pcgs:

geise

These are mine for now that I can think of.  Others have already post a few I was going to.

IMG IMG
IMGIMG
IMG

c0ldb33r

I love any of the bosses in Bonk 1 or 2. They're fun and memorable.

The Bonk 3 bosses are just derpy.
Member of the F@ck EBAY Club

Yamazaki

Obvious choice ;)

/cti686c2.jpg

esteban

STATUS: It is your duty, comrades, to share some more boss confrontations!

Do you really want to hear about how much I love/hate the GENERALISSIMO in Bloody Wolf (you know, when you have NO TIME TO DODGE HIS LAZER BOOMERANGZ as he teleports around the screen. INTENSELY AWESOME.

LAZER BOOMERANGZ.

Otaking

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=86jH2UQmvKY&t=812s
Quote from: some block off youtubeIn one episode, Dodongo c-walks out of a convenience store with a 40 at 7:40 AM, steals an arcade machine from an auction, haggles in Spanish for a stuffed papa smurf to use as a sex toy, and buys Secret of Mana for a dollar.

munchiaz

One of my favs is the snake boss from Star parodier. I love the way the boss yells out " Redo snake...COME ON"

mobygames.com/game/28461/star-parodier/screenshots/turbografx-cd/469895/
469895-star-parodier-turbografx-cd-screenshot-this-boss-is-a-snake.png

Arkhan Asylum

Jesse Ventura in his appearance in China Warrior

ChinaWarrior-Boss.webp
ChinaWarrior.webp
This "max-level forum psycho" (:lol:) destroyed TWO PC Engine groups in rage: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook "Because Chris 'Shadowland' Runyon!," then the other by Aaron Nanto "Because Le NightWolve!" Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together... Both times he blamed the Aarons in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged, destructive, toxic turbo troll gang!

esteban

My favorite "bosses" from MISSILE FIGHTER:

IMG

Ok, they are really not "bosses" but your opponents. Close enough.

Nando

Quote from: esteban on 10/06/2013, 09:21 AMMy favorite "bosses" from MISSILE FIGHTER:

IMG

eh? what game is this?

jlued686

<---

Nothing better than a blatant Bowser ripoff!

esteban

Quote from: Nando on 10/07/2013, 10:14 AM
Quote from: esteban on 10/06/2013, 09:21 AMMy favorite "bosses" from MISSILE FIGHTER:

IMG

eh? what game is this?
You tease me, comrade, but I'll bite:

IMG

tiptopjames

Finally finished Splatterhouse this week, I have decided I like ol' chainsaw hands EDIT: I accidentally played the TG-16 version.

/hLnCQCE.jpg

Nando

Quote from: esteban on 10/12/2013, 04:53 PM
Quote from: Nando on 10/07/2013, 10:14 AM

IMG

eh? what game is this?
You tease me, comrade, but I'll bite:

IMG
I've no idea what this is. Looks sweet.

esteban

Nando, I'll stop teasing you.

MISSILE FIGHTER is an unreleased 4-player (not sure if it was going to support 5-player) arena battle game inspired (slightly) by Bombeman's presentation.

SuperPlay recently scanned stuff and MISSILE FIGHTER was new news to me, so I was excited. Sadly, the game doesn't look particularly intriguing (I hope I am wrong, but...) so it doesn't captivate me as much as another genre would...

Nando

Quote from: esteban on 10/14/2013, 06:34 AMNando, I'll stop teasing you.

MISSILE FIGHTER is an unreleased 4-player (not sure if it was going to support 5-player) arena battle game inspired (slightly) by Bombeman's presentation.

SuperPlay recently scanned stuff and MISSILE FIGHTER was new news to me, so I was excited. Sadly, the game doesn't look particularly intriguing (I hope I am wrong, but...) so it doesn't captivate me as much as another genre would...
Old School Arena Death Match. Could be cool. Hell I was hooked on this when I was a wee lad

IMG

Bring back the bouncy missiles!!!

esteban

Quote from: Nando on 10/14/2013, 10:34 AM
Quote from: esteban on 10/14/2013, 06:34 AMNando, I'll stop teasing you.

Old School Arena Death Match. Could be cool. Hell I was hooked on this when I was a wee lad

IMG

Bring back the bouncy missiles!!!
My brothers and I loved COMBAT! All the variations!  :pcgs:

I want INVISIBLE TANKS AND BULLETS.

cho_aniki

Ai Cho Aniki's bosses are unforgettable.

IMG

Nando

Quote from: cho_aniki on 10/14/2013, 10:47 AMAi Cho Aniki's bosses are unforgettable.
lmao! I so need to get this game.