10/31/2023: Localization News - Dead of the Brain 1!

No, NOT a trick, a Halloween treat! Presenting the Dead of the Brain 1 English patch by David Shadoff for the DEAD last official PC Engine CD game published by NEC before exiting the console biz in 1999! I helped edit/betatest and it's also a game I actually finished in 2023, yaaay! Shubibiman also did a French localization. github.com/dshadoff/DeadoftheBrain
twitter.com/NightWolve/PCENews
Main Menu

Ginga Fukai densetsu sapphire...........What are your thoughts?

Started by YANDMAN, 10/10/2013, 09:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

YANDMAN

Hi all

I just recently picked up a copy of this highly rated and much talked about game, Ive wanted to play this for probably more than 10 years, i wasn't going to copy it and also wasn't going to pay a silly price for it, I was very very lucky in finding a complete copy for £26.00.

Upon initially playing it though im not overly impressed with it, The screen feel squat and cramped and
the flow of the game just doesn't seem much fun, I haven't been back to the game since my initial hour or so on it purely just as ive been so busy with work but i plan to this weekend.

Wondered what some of you feel about the game, does it deserve the hype??

Nando

IMG

Did you get killed often? The game can bitch slap you the first couple of times. Which can make it a rather UGH experience, unless you drop the difficulty down.

I wasn't as into it at first as I was with say, Solider Blade, but I've been hooked after playing it for awhile.  It's a really superb shooter that has aged extremely well.

Also, if you got it for that cheap, you probably bought a bootleg version.

NecroPhile

While not up to the greatness of Gate of Thunder or Soldier Blade, I think it's a darn good shewty.  Its greatest flaws are annoying shooting sound effects from some ship/weapon combos, slowish ships, its short length, and it being too easy to beat via continue spamming; otherwise it looks great, has huge bosses, rockin' tunes, and a nice variety of locales with fitting enemies.

It doesn't deserve the hype of "best shewty evah!", but that's only claimed by collectards that equate game play quality with price.  It certainly does deliver on having varied and colorful backgrounds, lots of big sprites, and tons of animation.

Also, nando's right - in all probability you got a bootleg.
Ultimate Forum Bully/Thief/Saboteur/Clone Warrior! BURN IN HELL NECROPHUCK!!!

Tatsujin

www.pcedaisakusen.net - home of your individual PC Engine collection!!
PCE Games countdown: 690/737 (47 to go or 93.6% clear)
PCE Shmups countdown: 111/111 (all clear!!)
Sega does what Nintendon't, but only NEC does better than both together!^^
<Senshi> Tat's i'm going to contact the people of Hard Off and open a store stateside..

DragonmasterDan

It's one of the most technically impressive games on the hardware. It plays well and has fantastic music. It's a great showpiece for the platform as a whole.

Is it one of the very best games? maybe not. But it's a fun well worth owning game.
--DragonmasterDan

SuperDeadite

Awesome game.  People tend to knock it due to the price.  But it's legit, wonderful game, and the music just gives it the edge.  And yeah, you probably bought a boot.
Stronger Than Your Average Deadite

YANDMAN

Thanks guys, Im looking forward to investing more time in it, I dont think its a bootleg it looks aged and the inlay is a bit tatty but i literally signed into ebay began browsing and it had seconds to run and it was an odd time in the morning finish, i threw 60 down on it and got it, either way its play fine and i dont think £26 is even a bad price for a bootleg to be honest

Gogan

Nothin beats the real thing.

Arkhan Asylum

Sapphire is not your standard Soldier-esque shooter where you can kind of just go on auto pilot and zip around dodging bullets.

You have to assume everything on screen is trying to fuck you up, because it is.

The game to me, is a coked out version of Gall Force for MSX/NES.     It's one of my favorites.
This "max-level forum psycho" (:lol:) destroyed TWO PC Engine groups in rage: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook "Because Chris 'Shadowland' Runyon!," then the other by Aaron Nanto "Because Le NightWolve!" Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together... Both times he blamed the Aarons in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged, destructive, toxic turbo troll gang!

YANDMAN

It doesnt bother me that much even if it isnt original, it looks exactly like the real thing, in fact im not sure how you would tell it apart, If you break it down what is the difference between the rom on one disc and the same rom on another disc, Its the full chrome and blue print just like the original and i wasnt about to pay £150 for one ever so im happy, im happy just to be able to finally play it, ha ha Arkhan thats a nice viewpopint man, how atlantean coming along?

Gogan

As long as you're happy with it, I guess all is good. I jus know there are a lot of extra copies of said bootleg available here for free if you are active here and not a scum reseller. They are nice boots, I'll give it that

Nando

Quote from: guest on 10/10/2013, 11:59 AMSapphire is not your standard Soldier-esque shooter where you can kind of just go on auto pilot and zip around dodging bullets.
It's not as "Bullet-Awareness" heavy as Tatsujin, but yeah shit fucks you up if you are not paying attention.

PunkCryborg

Play Legion for an hour then come back to Sapphire, you'll think it's the best game ever made

YANDMAN

THRES SOMETHING ABOUT THE BOSS PATTERNS THAT MAKES ME WALK INTO THEIR FIRE OFTEN , I PLAY MANY SHOOTERS BUT JUSY NOT CLICKING WITH THIS ONE YET

Gogan

roflmao

NecroPhile

Tatsujin

Just post a picture of the inner ring of the CD (inprint text next to the hole), and we will know in no time if it's a legit copy or not :)
<Senshi> Tat's i'm going to contact the people of Hard Off and open a store stateside..

YANDMAN

YANDMAN

Quote from: Gogan on 10/10/2013, 12:28 PMAs long as you're happy with it, I guess all is good. I jus know there are a lot of extra copies of said bootleg available here for free if you are active here and not a scum reseller. They are nice boots, I'll give it that
Free???? Oh damn it, Well never mind its not something i would of ever thought to ask, I actually once offered a guy here in the u.k £30.00 if he ran me off a copy of his version as i was so desperate to play it and he refused...........Anyways i have finally found it now and i played it for a hour or so last night and am feeling more into it.

Tatsujin

Gogan

Quote from: YANDMAN on 10/11/2013, 02:37 AM
Quote from: Gogan on 10/10/2013, 12:28 PMAs long as you're happy with it, I guess all is good. I jus know there are a lot of extra copies of said bootleg available here for free if you are active here and not a scum reseller. They are nice boots, I'll give it that
Free???? Oh damn it, Well never mind its not something i would of ever thought to ask, I actually once offered a guy here in the u.k £30.00 if he ran me off a copy of his version as i was so desperate to play it and he refused...........Anyways i have finally found it now and i played it for a hour or so last night and am feeling more into it.
Yea, think I might have a second copy somewhere around here I would have thrown at ya. But either way, ya got it, now PLAY

Mathius

Quote from: Tatsujin on 10/11/2013, 03:09 AMCARE4DATA
^^ Look for this stamped along the inner ring. It it's there you'll know you have a boot. I think legit copies are going for, like, a million dollars now so if you paid 26 English Pounds A BOOTLEG IS YOU! :)

YANDMAN

Quote from: Tatsujin on 10/10/2013, 07:03 PMJust post a picture of the inner ring of the CD (inprint text next to the hole), and we will know in no time if it's a legit copy or not :)
Sadly it is a bootleg, Im sending it back for a refund, The seller told me it was the 2nd print run which is not so sought after i said no its a copy, So for now my love affair with sapphire is over

cho_aniki

I am sorry to hear that.

An excellent game. I also like the fact that it has a 2-player mode.

NecroPhile

So what happened to you not caring if it was a boot?

Nando

Quote from: YANDMAN on 10/14/2013, 10:48 AM
Quote from: Tatsujin on 10/10/2013, 07:03 PMJust post a picture of the inner ring of the CD (inprint text next to the hole), and we will know in no time if it's a legit copy or not :)
Sadly it is a bootleg, Im sending it back for a refund, The seller told me it was the 2nd print run which is not so sought after i said no its a copy, So for now my love affair with sapphire is over
I'm sure you can find the ISO. Did you get your money back?

PunkCryborg

YANDMAN

Quote from: guest on 10/14/2013, 11:06 AMSo what happened to you not caring if it was a boot?
I began to care, i was just a little annoyed it was passed of differently as i got to thinking what i might have paid if i was bid up against it.

YANDMAN

I dont have much knowledge of cd games im looking to purchase both gates of thunder and spriggan are there known bootlegs of these floating about, Anything i should be aware of?

PunkCryborg

Sapphire is really the only cd game you gotta worry about bootlegs. But honestly did you really think you were getting a real one for so cheap? real copies go for hundreds

cho_aniki

There would be no point in making bootlegs of Spriggan or Gate of Thunder. They are readily available and cheapish here in Japan.

With regards to Sapphire, Punkic Cyborg is correct, you will most likely need to spend hundreds if you want a real one.

Arkhan Asylum

This "max-level forum psycho" (:lol:) destroyed TWO PC Engine groups in rage: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook "Because Chris 'Shadowland' Runyon!," then the other by Aaron Nanto "Because Le NightWolve!" Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together... Both times he blamed the Aarons in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged, destructive, toxic turbo troll gang!

Nando

Quote from: PunkCryborg on 10/14/2013, 11:28 AMSapphire is really the only cd game you gotta worry about bootlegs. But honestly did you really think you were getting a real one for so cheap? real copies go for hundreds
Well he thought he was buying a second printing. I didn't know much about the super niche part of the PCE/TG16 world till I joined here. So I can see that being a total N00b mistake to make. Hell I was lucky enough to find out about it. Otherwise I would be the owner of megaman and Sapphire on the PCE by now.

YANDMAN

Arkhan Asylum

Retrocool

Quote from: cho_aniki on 10/14/2013, 12:30 PMThere would be no point in making bootlegs of Spriggan or Gate of Thunder. They are readily available and cheapish here in Japan.
If you are in Japan, then i would love for you to find me a few games.....I found some imports here in Chicago at a game store that I go to and the owner is just ridiculous in price.... 90$ for Terraforming japanese version is just ridiculous.

Anyway...sigh
It is what it is and it will be what it will be!

Looking for some games, but I will prolly never find.  Sapphire, Magical Chase (US)

Nando

Quote from: Retrocool on 10/14/2013, 01:35 PM
Quote from: cho_aniki on 10/14/2013, 12:30 PMThere would be no point in making bootlegs of Spriggan or Gate of Thunder. They are readily available and cheapish here in Japan.
If you are in Japan, then i would love for you to find me a few games.....I found some imports here in Chicago at a game store that I go to and the owner is just ridiculous in price.... 90$ for Terraforming japanese version is just ridiculous.

Anyway...sigh
Dude, check the forums here first and foremost. There are some great sellers as well as individuals that put up stuff all the time. A simple WTB (Want to buy)  thread in the right place will net you honest/fair prices for all systems. Specially our beloved Obey.  Go off site when you've exhausted your options here and even there start with a proxy service. Which if you don't know what that is, I am sure a quick site search will turn something up.

Happy hunting.

o.pwuaioc

Pardon my ignorance, I long lacked (and still do, in fact) a PC Engine Duo, but I remember Breetai (RIP Blake) mentioning that the bootleg was pressed (and thus high quality). I also think I remember someone mentioning that quite a few members here got a copy. Is a pressed boot of this still going around? Is it still cheaply available? Is there a noticeable difference in quality? This was the last thread that mentioned it, and it's only a few months ago, so please point me in a different direction if it's already been discussed, but I am still interested in obtaining a copy.

Tatsujin

Mzo

Quote from: Retrocool on 10/14/2013, 01:35 PMIf you are in Japan, then i would love for you to find me a few games.....I found some imports here in Chicago at a game store that I go to and the owner is just ridiculous in price.... 90$ for Terraforming japanese version is just ridiculous.

Anyway...sigh
It was People Play Games, wasn't it?  Their prices were dumb last time I was there.
HA! HA! I AM USING THE INTERNET!!1
My Backloggery

NecroPhile

Quote from: guest on 01/17/2014, 02:52 AMIs a pressed boot of this still going around?
Mine goes around and around every time I slip it in the Duo.  :mrgreen:

Fellow member BlueBMW acquired and distributed hundreds of 'em, but that was quite a while ago; they still pop up every now and again but not regularly.  There's no difference in quality from a gameplay stand point, but there's a noticeable difference in print quality of the disc label (some worse than others), and the ones he had were disc only.  There's also complete booties floating around and still available new (not cheap), which look good at first glance but are noticeably of lesser print quality when you look closely.

Opethian

IMG

NightWolve

Mathius

I didn't know you owned a legit copy, Ope. Right on!

Tatsujin

Opethian

I been had it since 2011 before the great turbob pricis
IMG

Tatsujin

Mathius

Quote from: Opethian on 01/17/2014, 10:34 PMI been had it since 2011 before the great turbob pricis
I miss those days of old.

...So does my wallet.