10/31/2023: Localization News - Dead of the Brain 1!

No, NOT a trick, a Halloween treat! Presenting the Dead of the Brain 1 English patch by David Shadoff for the DEAD last official PC Engine CD game published by NEC before exiting the console biz in 1999! I helped edit/betatest and it's also a game I actually finished in 2023, yaaay! Shubibiman also did a French localization. github.com/dshadoff/DeadoftheBrain
twitter.com/NightWolve/PCENews
Main Menu

Never Played NES

Started by _Paul, 10/13/2013, 09:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

_Paul

I've started a new video series, playing NES games (badly) for the first time and commenting on them. I've never really played the NES much so this is a new adventure for me.

Never Played NES #1 - Tiger Heli

esteban

Quote from: guest on 10/13/2013, 09:51 AMI've started a new video series, playing NES games (badly) for the first time and commenting on them. I've never really played the NES much so this is a new adventure for me.

Never Played NES #1 - Tiger Heli

Do you mean your experience is primarily with the Famicom, as opposed to NES?

OR DO YOU MEAN YOU KNOW NOT OF FAMICOM??

Disbelief.

:pcgs:
IMGIMG IMG  |  IMG  |  IMG IMG

TheClash603

It does seem a bit odd to be a video game fan and not play the most prolific system of the era.  How do you know something is the best, without trying the other stuff?

I can't wait until you come to the conclusion the NES is your favorite system and you disown all others...

Tatsujin

le obey will always be the best, no matter what!
www.pcedaisakusen.net - home of your individual PC Engine collection!!
PCE Games countdown: 690/737 (47 to go or 93.6% clear)
PCE Shmups countdown: 111/111 (all clear!!)
Sega does what Nintendon't, but only NEC does better than both together!^^
<Senshi> Tat's i'm going to contact the people of Hard Off and open a store stateside..

esteban

Quote from: TheClash603 on 10/13/2013, 02:22 PMIt does seem a bit odd to be a video game fan and not play the most prolific system of the era.  How do you know something is the best, without trying the other stuff?

I can't wait until you come to the conclusion the NES is your favorite system and you disown all others...

Arkhan Asylum

Don't worry guys, I told Paul to play Hydlide.

Also, I notice that the music in Tiger Heli is slower than it should be.

You doing crazy PAL mode? 
This "max-level forum psycho" (:lol:) destroyed TWO PC Engine groups in rage: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook "Because Chris 'Shadowland' Runyon!," then the other by Aaron Nanto "Because Le NightWolve!" Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together... Both times he blamed the Aarons in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged, destructive, toxic turbo troll gang!

Bernie

WOW.  :)  Never played the NES huh?  Go for Dragon Warrior!!!

esteban

Quote from: guest on 10/13/2013, 02:39 PMDon't worry guys, I told Paul to play Hydlide.
You are too cruel.  :pcgs:

I don't think I ever finished Hydlide, I just didn't have the masochism.

_Paul

Remember that the NES didn't do the business in the UK that it did overseas. The Master System (with its superior graphics) was by far the more successful console at the time - I never even knew anyone who owned a NES. It just wasn't a big deal over here as it was in America where it seemed that 1 in 5 people owned one, much like how the Spectrum never made the dent in the US that it did in Europe where it was the No.1 home computer (and you're missing out if you've never played classics like Ant Attack, 3D Death Chase, Wheelie and The Train Game).

I went from Spectrum to SMS, to PCE, Amiga, Mega Drive, Saturn, Dreamcast, PlayStation, PC...etc. Classic DOS games are also a field I'm missing out on. I've dabbled briefly in a few NES roms in the past, but never properly tried to play them, it's going to be interesting.

esteban

CrackTiger

Destiny of an Emperor is the best game on the system.
Justin the Not-So-Cheery Black/Hack/CrackTiger helped Joshua Jackass, Andrew/Arkhan Dildovich and the DildoPhiles destroy 2 PC Engine groups: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook, then the other by Aaron Nanto!!! Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together! Both times he blamed the Aarons and their staff in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged/destructive/doxxing toxic turbo troll gang which he covers up for under the "community" euphemism!

Arkhan Asylum

Oh man, if we're going to go into the DOS era, there are some gems you need to try.

like Jazz Jackrabbit, Xargon, Jill of the Jungle, Commander Keen, and DUKE NUKEM.

This "max-level forum psycho" (:lol:) destroyed TWO PC Engine groups in rage: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook "Because Chris 'Shadowland' Runyon!," then the other by Aaron Nanto "Because Le NightWolve!" Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together... Both times he blamed the Aarons in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged, destructive, toxic turbo troll gang!

_Paul

Quote from: Psycho Arkhan on 10/13/2013, 05:42 PMOh man, if we're going to go into the DOS era, there are some gems you need to try.

like Jazz Jackrabbit, Xargon, Jill of the Jungle, Commander Keen, and DUKE NUKEM.
Oh I`ve played Duke Nukem. Classic.

Arkhan Asylum

I was a pretty big fan of Jill of the Jungle.   

It's like Vixen, but not crap.

roflmao

Great first episode!  I'm sure you figured this out, but with Tiger Heli, if you are hit *and* you have a bomb on that side of the heli, the bomb will go off, preventing you from being destroyed and kills everything nearby. 

I also never had an NES bitd, but picked this one up a few years ago and think it's pretty good!  Kyukyoku Tiger was released on the NES as Twin Cobra, and it's also a very fun port.  Much easier than the PCE version because when you die, your heli instantly reappears - no break in gameplay.  For an NES game, it's pretty fun.

Tatsujin

yeah, UK always was a strange country when it came to video games :P
<Senshi> Tat's i'm going to contact the people of Hard Off and open a store stateside..

Arkhan Asylum

I wish the Master System had caught on better in America, honestly.

the games look way better.  I'll take Double Dragon on Master System over NES any day.

Tatsujin

back then the NES (Nintendo in general) was much bigger than anything else in switzerland, but it still had a fair amount of SMS. as for video game consoles, prior the NES/SMS we only knew the 2600 and G&Ws i guess. vic20, c64 etc. was very strong in the home computer section because everybody could copy the games (yeah, nobody thougt bad about this back in the 80s).
i also got me a lynx in about 1989. we had a lot of official TV stores that just imported game devices from any countries, since there was no law or what so ever against doing that.
so we could basically walk into few stores and play the SFC just few days after its japanese lauch.
they hals had PC Engines (remember the core 1) when i was 13~14.

unfortunately the prices were ranged THAT high for these gaming machines, you had to be a very rich or wealthy kid to get any private hands on them.

BigusSchmuck

Play the  wizardry and ultima ports.  Enough said.  Oh yeah and pools of radiance too. Fun times.

esteban

Quote from: guest on 10/14/2013, 01:20 AMI wish the Master System had caught on better in America, honestly.

the games look way better.  I'll take Double Dragon on Master System over NES any day.
Ark, you know I love you. However...

You are crazy. NES Double Dragon is awesome, a superior game to the arcade. ALL of the Double Dragon games are flawed (arcade and ports), in one respect or another, but DD and DDII on NES were oozing with charm, challenge and here's the most important thing (replayability): PROVIDED COUNTLESS HOURS OF FUN. I kept going back to these games, as did my friends, far more frequently than any other versions/ports available. Personally, I like the leveling-up system implemented in DD...earning experience and developing skills to acquire new moves totally works for the NES port.

DD on SMS, for all its virtues, never achieved the same level of charm/intrigue/satisfaction/replayability.

I love the SMS and will always defend it, but the Famicom/NES library is ridiculously rich and varied. It is my favorite console because of the vast, solid library of games. 

:pcgs:

Arkhan Asylum

Quote from: BigusSchmuck on 10/14/2013, 03:21 AMPlay the  wizardry and ultima ports.  Enough said.  Oh yeah and pools of radiance too. Fun times.
Eh, Ultima V on NES is complete balls, lol.

Nobody should have to play through that.

geise

Yay!  Now you can actually play Cocoron. :lol:

PunkCryborg

Arkhan Asylum

Yeah, Metal Storm is pretty awesome.

also worth trying are the Bionic Commando and Strider for NES, because they aren't like the arcade at all.

_Paul

I have a long list of all these suggestions so keep them coming.

I've already recorded a few more videos and I find that the best ones are games that are action based and quite challenging, without being difficult to work out how to play. I've done a couple I might trash because they just go on too long with me being either clueless or running out of things to say.

Also, here's an interesting thread if you Americanese people want to get a flavour of the impact of the NES in the UK (i.e. it bombed).

Arkhan Asylum

Play B-Wings, too.

Everyone likes that game.

roflmao

Guardian Legend!  It's kind of like a cross between Legend of Zelda and Blazing Lazers. 

Kirby's Adventure is a fun platformer.  You gobble up the enemies to harness their powers.

_Paul

Nando

Just discovered these! Too awesome.

I'm on a similar boat, where it is just now that I am really discovering the NES titles.

Ghostbusters 2 from JP is A SUPER FUN game.

Arkhan Asylum

Clash at Demonhead, bitches.

Arjak

You've never played NES, huh? You're in for a treat! Here's a few suggestions of games that are excellent (IMO) that are not talked about too much:

Adventures of Lolo - A unique puzzle game series by HAL. Known as the Eggerland series in Japan.

Power Blade - A fun, often overlooked action game. Not to be confused with Power Blazer, the much-inferior Japanese version.

Blaster Master - A unique take on the MetroidVania genre.

Goonies II - Another decent (but strange) MetroidVania based on the classic movie from the '80s.

River City Ransom/Street Gangs - A Beat 'em up/RPG with tons of personality.
He who dings the Gunhed must PAAAAY!!! -Ninja Spirit

cho_aniki

I have also never had a NES. In fact I don't think the NES was ever released in South Africa where I grew up. I can remember a rich friend had one as his father had managed to import one somehow and I did play it a few times when I visited his house.

Is it generally cheaper to collect PAL titles or NTSC titles? And which version of the hardware should one get?

Tatsujin

why in the hell would one possibly like to collect PAL games for the NES?

And since you seem to be located in japan(?), certainly non of the above :idea:

cho_aniki

I play a lot of my consoles in PAL format and being from South Africa I have a large PAL collection. Having said that, I don't even have a PAL Turbografx. It really depends on the console, for some like the Megadrive I have a lot of both.

One of the huge advantages of many PAL consoles, for me anyhow, is the Peritel/Scart connection which means getting the best possible picture without having to do any modifications.

As far as the NES is concerned, I don't really know which is why I was asking.

Tatsujin

Quote from: cho_aniki on 10/14/2013, 08:58 PMI play a lot of my consoles in PAL format and being from South Africa I have a large PAL collection. Having said that, I don't even have a PAL Turbografx. It really depends on the console, for some like the Megadrive I have a lot of both.

One of the huge advantages of many PAL consoles, for me anyhow, is the Peritel/Scart connection which means getting the best possible picture without having to do any modifications.

As far as the NES is concerned, I don't really know which is why I was asking.
so then you're not located in japan as implied in the otehr thread?

euro scart wouldn't do much good on NTSC-J ground anywhy.

you can hook up almost any console via scart, having the appropriate cable. this wasn't exactly a feature of the PAL console itself, but much more of the TV sets sold in PAL fields which preferably supported RGB input more than in the US/JPN fields.
(btw. there were no PAL consoles sold, which came with a scart cable ex-works. if you wanted to use RGB, you had to buy your cable somewhere else).

And yeah, the NES only had AV at best anyway. so no difference there, except that PAL did run like 17% slower and came with huge PAL-bars on the top and bottom.

cho_aniki

I am living in Japan but I am from South Africa and have most of my games collection with me here.

I use multi-region CRT televisions for playing my games so I am not stuck with NTSC-J at all.

Most French consoles (technically SECAM) came with a Peritel cable and some output RGB directly (Atari 7800 and Sega Master System for example). The difference in quality is huge when compared with the RF output of the consoles which were sold elsewhere. In this case, it is not simply a question of switching the cable as the consoles sold elsewhere do not output RGB despite being from the same region (ex. UK Atari 7800 and UK Sega Master System). This is why I tend to only use French consoles for playing those systems. Of course the more modern the console, the easier it is to get around this.

But if the NES only outputs AV, then as you say, it makes no difference. My question was more in relation to the games themselves and in which region they would be cheaper to acquire.

BlueBMW

Quote from: guest on 10/13/2013, 04:34 PMClassic DOS games are also a field I'm missing out on.
I shed a tear when I read this sentence....  When you're ready to enter the vast world that is DOS gaming, you just let me know ;)
[Sun 23:29] <Tatsujin> we have hard off, book off, house off, sports off, baby off, clothes off, jerk off, piss off etc

Tatsujin

Quote from: cho_aniki on 10/14/2013, 10:09 PMI am living in Japan but I am from South Africa and have most of my games collection with me here.

I use multi-region CRT televisions for playing my games so I am not stuck with NTSC-J at all.

Most French consoles (technically SECAM) came with a Peritel cable and some output RGB directly (Atari 7800 and Sega Master System for example). The difference in quality is huge when compared with the RF output of the consoles which were sold elsewhere. In this case, it is not simply a question of switching the cable as the consoles sold elsewhere do not output RGB despite being from the same region (ex. UK Atari 7800 and UK Sega Master System). This is why I tend to only use French consoles for playing those systems. Of course the more modern the console, the easier it is to get around this.

But if the NES only outputs AV, then as you say, it makes no difference.
yeah. but as stated above, those where already modified/beefed up consoles and not original off the shelf ware from nintendo, sega, NEC & co.

and i don't know about the 7800 (never had one), but the SMS 1 had standard RGB output everywere, and so did the mega drive and any major console from the PSX era upwards. all you had to do was to purchase a extra RGB cable.

and also as stated above already, without any hardware modification, PAL games (unless they were properly ported, which was almost never the case) would run ca. 17% slower than their NTSC counterparts and also featuring huge PAL bars (about 100 lines -> 625 lines PAL (visible 576) vs. 525 lines NTSC (visible 483)) on the top and bottom screen, which was always a huge minus in my eyes.

Quote from: cho_aniki on 10/14/2013, 10:09 PMMy question was more in relation to the games themselves and in which region they would be cheaper to acquire.
and again, since you're located in japan, nothing would be cheaper than aquiring japanese (famicom) games (except for few very expensive rarities) :idea:

also PAL games can be quite pricey at these days, since many of those hipsters jumped on the retro train for descovering their youth a 2nd time.

esteban

Karnov is under-appreciated. I consider it a gem.

A lot of folks disagree, but Cobra Command (no! Not the game you are thinking of! A different one) is a brutal game that I absolutely adore. It's Choplifter done better, but I'll warn you, it is challenging (I love it).

There are too many top-tier games for you to play, but when you get a chance, take a break from them and try Karnov and/or Cobra Command.

Tatsujin

nothing can be done better than choplifter (arcade, sms) :idea:

BlueBMW

Cobra Command on NES is excellent!  I loved acquiring all the various upgrades.  And yes, it was hard.

Now Jackal... that was a fun game...
[Sun 23:29] <Tatsujin> we have hard off, book off, house off, sports off, baby off, clothes off, jerk off, piss off etc

Arkhan Asylum

both Cobra Command and Jackal are excellent.

Anyone who disagrees is a retard.

TR0N

One gem i can recommend i know it had a pal release.It can be pricey,unless you buy a reproduction of it or have a flashcart.
NES Longplay [291] Mr.Gimmick
IMG
PSN:MrNeoGeo
Wii U:Progearspec

DragonmasterDan

Some of my favorite NES games are

Platformers: Super Mario Bros 1,2 US, 3. Kirby's Adventure, Felix the Cat, Ninja Gaiden 1,2, Castlevania 1,3
RPGs and RPG style games: Dragon Warrior 1,2,3,4 The Legend of Zelda 1 and 2, Crystalis, Star Tropics
Shoot Em ups/Run N Guns: Gun+NAC, Guardian Legend, Stinger, Contra, Super C
Action Adventure games: Metroid, Kid Icarus, Goonies II, Rygar, Little Samson
Simple arcade style games: Kung-Fu, Snow Bros, Bubble Bobble, Ice Climber

There's so many fantastic ones I'm leaving out. But these are all recommendations
--DragonmasterDan

Nando

Arkhan Asylum

PunkCryborg

+1 for kickle. i was completely hooked on this one last year till i finally beat it.

wildfruit

i recommend
super mario bros 3
robocop
solar jetman
snake rattle n roll
teenage mutant HERO turtles

_Paul

PunkCryborg

I think I have this but never played it myself. It's like Dino Riki meets Monster Lair.
Check out Kabuki Quantam Fighter. Thats one of my fav platformers for the system