RIP to BT Garner of MindRec.com... He passed away early 2023 from health problems. BT was one of the top PCE homebrew developers and founder of the OG Turbo List, then PCECP.com. Condolences to family and friends.
IMG
IMG
Main Menu

Hyper Duel - worth it?

Started by VenomMacbeth, 11/16/2014, 12:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

VenomMacbeth

I've been eyeballing this game for awhile.  It didn't seem like much to me at first, little more than Thunder Force with a mech...

...but it turns out I love Thunder Force.  And that soundtrack, holy shit.  I listen to it every day on my commute to work.  The arcade version, of course. 

Still though, this is a $300 game we're talking about here (if ebay's any indication.)  Can it be had for a more sane price?  If so, would you say it's worth it?  Can I rip the soundtrack off the disc & onto my computer?  I've had terrible luck finding it on the interwebs.

Soooo yeah.  Pretty useless topic, but there it is.  Who likes Hyper Duel?
Quote from: Gogan on 08/01/2013, 09:54 AMPlay Turbografx.
Play the Turbografx. PLAY
THE TURBOGRAFX!!!!!!

Buh buh buh, I have almost all teh games evar.  I R TEH BESTEST COLLECTR!!

Digi.k

There is a arcade version of this for MAME, try that out first

cho_aniki

I have it and like it a lot, but it is indeed very expensive. Still, with the Yen having lost a lot of value you should be able to get it for somewhat less than 300$ now.

esteban

A: No.

P.S. Please buy Atlantean and Pyramid Plunder for me. Thank you.
IMGIMG IMG  |  IMG  |  IMG IMG

PunkCryborg

good game but yeah too rich for my blood. Get dat Saturn mod chip

TR0N

Quote from: PunkCryborg on 11/16/2014, 10:15 AMgood game but yeah too rich for my blood. Get dat Saturn mod chip
Ditto or mod a action replay to play burns.
IMG
PSN:MrNeoGeo
Wii U:Progearspec

Opethian

its a good port but not a legendary game IMO
Id only buy it these days if you cherish it
IMG

geise

I own it  but it's not played as much as the other shooters I have in my Saturn library.  That's kinda strange since I love Tecnosoft.  I would just do what others mentioned.  It is not worth what it goes for these days.

reson8er

I own it and think its very worth playing, especially for the "Saturn" mode, as to the cost, I'd say its definitely not worth what its going for these days. If you have the means, track down a way to play it and judge for yourself if the investment is worth it.

VenomMacbeth

Thank you for all the replies.  I figured that would be the common sentiment, that it's not worth it...honestly, I fail to see how any one video game is worth $300.  However, my inner collectard would love to have a nice little set of all the better Tecnosoft games (give or take Hyper Reverthion, Thunder Force VI, and probably Blast Wind as that one does nothing for me).  That & all collecting impulses aside, it looks like a fantastic game. 

I'll definitely burn a copy & see what I can make of that, as you all suggested.  $300 is a lot of bread to shell out for a single game when it could buy several others I'd also like to have. That, and I already have a great many hori shooters for the Saturn.

EDIT: the more I think about it, the more I'm tempted to invest in a Duo instead.  I'm sure everyone here will agree that's the better investment. ;)
THE TURBOGRAFX!!!!!!

NecroPhile

Quote from: VenomMacbeth on 11/17/2014, 12:53 PMEDIT: the more I think about it, the more I'm tempted to invest in a Duo instead.  I'm sure everyone here will agree that's the better investment. ;)
Yep, OBEY is always the better option.  :mrgreen:
Ultimate Forum Bully/Thief/Saboteur/Clone Warrior! BURN IN HELL NECROPHUCK!!!

esadajr

Quote from: PunkCryborg on 11/16/2014, 10:15 AMgood game but yeah too rich for my blood. Get dat Saturn mod chip
Mopdchip or modified AR cart and put the $ to better use (ie obey).
Gaming since 1985

geise

Quote from: VenomMacbeth on 11/17/2014, 12:53 PMand probably Blast Wind as that one does nothing for me
I actually prefer Blast Wind over Hyper Duel.

SuperDeadite

Blast Wind puts me to sleep.  Too boring.
Stronger Than Your Average Deadite

esteban

I'm not as familiar with Hyper Duel and Blast Wind as I should be.

When I first heard the title "Blast Wind" on a forum, I thought it was a joke.
IMGIMG IMG  |  IMG  |  IMG IMG

VenomMacbeth

Quote from: esteban on 11/20/2014, 06:47 AMWhen I first heard the title "Blast Wind" on a forum, I thought it was a joke.
It might as well be, I've yet to find anything about Blast Wind that makes it unique among other contemporary vertical shooters, other than perhaps the music which isn't even that incredible by Tecnosoft standards. Definitely not worth the inflated price tag.
THE TURBOGRAFX!!!!!!

geise

Quote from: VenomMacbeth on 11/20/2014, 12:03 PM
Quote from: esteban on 11/20/2014, 06:47 AMWhen I first heard the title "Blast Wind" on a forum, I thought it was a joke.
It might as well be, I've yet to find anything about Blast Wind that makes it unique among other contemporary vertical shooters, other than perhaps the music which isn't even that incredible by Tecnosoft standards. Definitely not worth the inflated price tag. 
I guess I'm more forgiving since I bought both of these close to when they were released.  There is a big difference paying regular price on a game and also playing it during it's "current time".

cho_aniki

Blast Wind is a lot cheaper though. It is in a similar price range to a lot of other Saturn shooters. Not a bad game but I prefer Hyper Duel.