OMG! ZIRIA! ZIRIA!! ZIRIA!!! IT ACTUALLY HAPPENED!! 34 YEARS LATER!! The epic/legendary Tengai Makyou/Far East of Eden: Ziria JRPG has finally been localized! Supper the Subtitler struck again! Simply unstoppable, NOTHING can prevent him from TOTAL PCECD localization domination!!!! WHACHA GONNA DO BROTHER?!?!
Main Menu

PC Engine Pixelization

Started by CrackTiger, 03/02/2016, 01:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vimtoman

Devils crash eyeball on main screen.

Psycho Punch

I wonder if Out Live uses software sprite scaling too, seems pretty smooth.
This Toxic Turbo Troll & Clone Warrior calls himself "Burning Fight!!" on Neo-Geo.com
For a good time, reach out to: aleffrenan94@gmail.com or punchballmariobros@gmail.com
Like DildoKobold, dildos are provided free of charge, no need to bring your own! :lol:
He also ran scripts to steal/clone this forum which blew up the error logs!
I had to delete THOUSANDS of error log entries cause of this nutcase!
how_to_spell_ys_sign_origin_ver.webp

exodus

I wonder if they didn't just draw those devils crush things manually?

NecroPhile

I'm sure almost all the scaling and rotation stuff posted is hand drawn sprites/tiles.
Ultimate Forum Bully/Thief/Saboteur/Clone Warrior! BURN IN HELL NECROPHUCK!!!

Digi.k

Psycho Punch

This Toxic Turbo Troll & Clone Warrior calls himself "Burning Fight!!" on Neo-Geo.com
For a good time, reach out to: aleffrenan94@gmail.com or punchballmariobros@gmail.com
Like DildoKobold, dildos are provided free of charge, no need to bring your own! :lol:

esteban

IMGIMG IMG  |  IMG  |  IMG IMG

Psycho Punch

Digi.k

TurboXray

JB Harold opening, but I couldn't makes gifs of it for some reason.

Digi.k

Digi.k

Quote from: TurboXray on 06/29/2016, 06:30 PMJB Harold opening, but I couldn't makes gifs of it for some reason.
IMG
IMG
Quote from: guest
Quote from: Digi.k on 06/22/2016, 05:26 PMthe buddhist version goes clockwise while the nazi is anti.
IMG

NightWolve

Hm, somewhat interesting. Never had interest about that game, so would never have checked it out.

Psycho Punch

I think that Dracula X has prerendered sprite effects. No way that's real time CPU stuff.

Quote from: Digi.k on 06/22/2016, 05:26 PMthe buddhist version goes clockwise while the nazi is anti.
IMG

ParanoiaDragon

Quote from: NightWolve on 06/29/2016, 09:06 PMHm, somewhat interesting. Never had interest about that game, so would never have checked it out.
It's actually a really fun game IMO.  I picked it up on clearance at TRU oh so many years ago in the bloom of my yute!  However, it IS a game that is really only playable once.  Once you know who done it, it's just not the same.
IMG

TurboXray

JB Harold's in-game music is horrible and terrific at the same time. Only people who have played through this game know what I'm talking about (cringes/rejoices).

Digi.k

IMG
IMG
IMG

CrackTiger

Panic Bomber has a different effect each time the title screen appears.
Justin the Not-So-Cheery Black/Hack/CrackTiger helped Joshua Jackass, Andrew/Arkhan Dildovich and the DildoPhiles destroy 2 PC Engine groups: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook, then the other by Aaron Nanto!!! Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together! Both times he blamed the Aarons and their staff in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged/destructive/doxxing toxic turbo troll gang which he covers up for under the "community" euphemism!

Digi.k

CrackTiger

The PC Engine has so many scaling, rotation, mosaic, misc effects, that it feels like it should have the stereotype that the SNES does for gratuitous pixelization effects.

What's extra cool about that Panic Bomber title screen, is that even that last little strip at the bottom does a stretching raster effect at the end. :)
Justin the Not-So-Cheery Black/Hack/CrackTiger helped Joshua Jackass, Andrew/Arkhan Dildovich and the DildoPhiles destroy 2 PC Engine groups: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook, then the other by Aaron Nanto!!! Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together! Both times he blamed the Aarons and their staff in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged/destructive/doxxing toxic turbo troll gang which he covers up for under the "community" euphemism!

exodus

The battlefield '94 system 1.0 error screen does a pretty neat fade effect!

Digi.k

Quote from: exodus on 07/19/2016, 02:02 AMThe battlefield '94 system 1.0 error screen does a pretty neat fade effect!
also

IMG

Formation Soccer 95 della
IMG

John Madden Football
IMG

Soldier Blade
IMG

PC Engine CD - Battle Field '94 in Tokyo Dome (J) Intro
IMG
https://gifs.com/gif/pc-engine-cd-battle-field-94-in-tokyo-dome-j-intro-zp8oE2 (made by https://twitter.com/NgGoky)

Digi.k

more Saphire gifs

IMG
IMG
IMG
Are these real polygons ?
IMG
IMG
IMG

bob

cant make gifs at work, but lets not forget a high fly ball coming at the screen in World Class Baseball.
also, doesnt SAZ have an animation of Zonk crashing into the screen?
surprised i dont see the GoT pillars either, but i skipped through some of the pages before all the gifs loaded.

NecroPhile

These things? -

IMG

There's quite a few enemies that scale up out of the background too:

IMG

IMG

< edit >

I forgot ze baseball:

IMG

bob

exodus

Pretty sure all those gate of thunder and baseball things are just animations rather than scaling! and about half the sapphire stuff too. It can be hard to tell when they do it smoothly though.

NecroPhile

This isn't the first time you've brought up that obvious point, so kindly give it a rest.  Of course it's pretty much all sprite based effects, as it's well known that there's no dedicated hardware for scaling/rotation and the hardware design isn't well suited to do it in software.

But guess what: it doesn't matter!  Scaling is scaling and rotation is rotation; the only way you'd have a point is if someone were trying to argue that it's hardware scaling / rotation.

nopepper

Not sure what type of effect is being used, but I've always found the title screen in Zipang pretty impressive.

Cool game also.

Digi.k

Quote from: nopepper on 07/22/2016, 03:46 PMNot sure what type of effect is being used, but I've always found the title screen in Zipang pretty impressive.

Cool game also.
oh that rotating map kinda like a yoshi island rotating thing..

IMG

Digi.k

nopepper

Quote from: Digi.k on 07/22/2016, 06:14 PM
Quote from: nopepper on 07/22/2016, 03:46 PMNot sure what type of effect is being used, but I've always found the title screen in Zipang pretty impressive.

Cool game also.
oh that rotating map kinda like a yoshi island rotating thing..

IMG
Yes, thanks!

shubibiman

Quote from: guest on 07/22/2016, 03:25 PMThis isn't the first time you've brought up that obvious point, so kindly give it a rest.  Of course it's pretty much all sprite based effects, as it's well known that there's no dedicated hardware for scaling/rotation and the hardware design isn't well suited to do it in software.

But guess what: it doesn't matter!  Scaling is scaling and rotation is rotation; the only way you'd have a point is if someone were trying to argue that it's hardware scaling / rotation.
I think that the sprite based effects are not as interesting as all the dev tricks used for genuine scaling. Scaling is about the same sprite actually scaling up or down, not about several sprites being used to make an animation. The same goes fort rotating.

It seemed obvious to me.

But thanks for the gifs though ;)
Self proclamed Aldynes World Champion

CrackTiger

Quote from: shubibiman on 07/23/2016, 03:37 AM
Quote from: NecroPhile on 07/22/2016, 03:25 PMThis isn't the first time you've brought up that obvious point, so kindly give it a rest.  Of course it's pretty much all sprite based effects, as it's well known that there's no dedicated hardware for scaling/rotation and the hardware design isn't well suited to do it in software.

I think that the sprite based effects are not as interesting as all the dev tricks used for genuine scaling. Scaling is about the same sprite actually scaling up or down, not about several sprites being used to make an animation. The same goes fort rotating.

It seemed obvious to me.

But thanks for the gifs though ;)
If you can't tell whether or not an effect is pre-rendered animation or realtime rendering unless someone tells you, how can one be more interesting than the other?

And if an effect becomes interesting after someone claiming to be an expert says it's done in real-time, does it still cease to be as interesting after someone else somehow proves the first "expert" wrong?

shubibiman

If someone can't tell the difference between this :

Quote from: guest on 07/21/2016, 11:30 AM< edit >

I forgot ze baseball:

IMG
and actual scaling, then he should quit playing vintage games right away. He should even quit talking about them  :lol:
Self proclamed Aldynes World Champion

NecroPhile

Quote from: shubibiman on 07/23/2016, 03:37 AMI think that the sprite based effects are not as interesting as all the dev tricks used for genuine scaling. Scaling is about the same sprite actually scaling up or down, not about several sprites being used to make an animation. The same goes fort rotating.

It seemed obvious to me.
There's an obvious technical difference, sure, but what difference does it make practically?  Either the effect is well executed and looks good or it doesn't; neither approach is going to automatically look better than the other.

If you and exodus want to dismiss it all as fake and unworthy of discussion, that's fine.  Nobody is forcing you to read this thread and cry repeatedly "it's not really scaling!".  We know what it is, we know the sky is blue, we know water is wet.

exodus

I mean in the baseball example, it's four different sprites replacing each other, and this thread is meant to be about the power of the PCE doing things people say it can't. I bring it up because replacing sprites doesn't do that! but ultimately it doesn't matter I guess!

Digi.k

exodus

that's an especially interesting one, because it's a bitmap of the dots with the wave effect that then transitions into an animation of the logo coming together. Looks extra fancy as a result!

ClodBusted

Quote from: exodus on 07/25/2016, 03:41 PMbut ultimately it doesn't matter I guess!
It doesn't matter.
IMG

Digi.k

Burai

IMG
IMG

Quote from: guest
Quote from: exodus on 07/25/2016, 03:41 PMbut ultimately it doesn't matter I guess!
It doesn't matter.
IMG

NecroPhile

Digi.k

Bit more Soldier Blade

IMG
IMG

and possibly Jinmu Densho

IMG
IMG

W-Ring
IMG

Paranoia
IMG
IMG
IMG

mjsaville

Great thread, bring on the Gif's............. :dance:

Digi.k

Shin Megami Tensei

IMG
IMG
IMG
IMG
IMG
IMG

NecroPhile

Digi.k

Quote from: guest on 01/11/2017, 06:14 PMIMG
What the heck is going on here?
super famicom version

IMG

esteban

I forgot about this thread. Some great stuff.
IMGIMG IMG  |  IMG  |  IMG IMG

ParanoiaDragon

Quote from: guest on 01/11/2017, 06:14 PM
Quote from: Digi.k on 01/11/2017, 05:45 PMIMG
Wow, the PCE version is alot cooler looking then the standard zoom in effect!
IMG

saturndual32

Quote from: ParanoiaDragon on 01/12/2017, 03:27 AM
Quote from: guest on 01/11/2017, 06:14 PM
Quote from: Digi.k on 01/11/2017, 05:45 PMIMG
Wow, the PCE version is alot cooler looking then the standard zoom in effect!
Yeah, i wonder what type of effect the Mega CD used on that same scene.