@GTV reviews the Cosmic Fantasy 1-2 Switch collection by Edia, provides examples of the poor English editing/localization work. It's much worse for CF1. Rated "D" for disappointment, finding that TurboGrafx CF2 is better & while CF1's the real draw, Edia screwed it up...
Main Menu

Best HuCard Converter?

Started by The Last Barbarian, 08/18/2018, 01:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Last Barbarian

I've got a turbo duo that needs an adapter to play Japanese games. Which is the best one to go after? I see the Telegames adapter most of the time when i see them for sale is this the one to get?

NightWolve

The Kisado Adapter was the best for a time I remember hearing which is hard to find now, but now I'd just say get a Turbo Everdrive flashcart. It'll solve the problem permanently and you can play any game in the library if you download the ROM files for it, that's it.

Other options: You could hire someone here to add a region mod switch to your console if you really wanna play an original or there's the chop5 strip that works, that you wrap around a HuCard and plug it in with to achieve the region switch effect, maybe ask him if he still makes those.

majors

NW is right, with region modding or flash cart you eliminate the issue with poor pin connections since a converter doubles the amount of connections that can fail do to dirty pins or not making a connection(looking at you SFIICE hucard!). I think you can prolly buy a Core for the same amount as what converters have been going for, if you're just looking to play imports cards.

BITD using a Kisado and Arcade card was a royal pain...once you got it running, you didn't even dare breath near the TG-16!
TG/PCE Collection.
"Booze should be a choice, not a privilege" -KCDC (The FP)

Gypsy

The best adapter is just buying a Japanese hucard only system (so a white pce or core grafx) honestly.

NightWolve

So just buying one of these does the trick also, yeah.

IMG

SignOfZeta

I'm late to the party but, yeah, converters suck and for the stupid prices people pay for them you could just get a Core Grafx II. Internal mods are the best though since you'll probably want to waste $1000 on pirate copy of Sapphire and that needs an Arcade Card. Another option would be to trade the US Duo for two JP Duos and mod one of those...or maybe even not. If you're a noob there is no reason to buy a US version of a HuCARD other than the text heavy ones, of which there are like a half dozen, maybe. Save %50 one more by how buying JP ones and get way better cases as well.
IMG

NightWolve

I was organizing my pictures folder and found an old photo of the Kisado Adapter, heh. Kind of a beast!

kisado.gif KisadoAdapter.jpg
IMG

We know who made it actually, he visits here now and then, dshadoff (David), my co-programming/producer partner for the "Ys IV: Dawn of Ys" localization project. He was instrumental in reversing the decompression code Neill Corlett left behind to complete the text codec so I could recompress English Ys IV text blocks back into the game and push the project forward!

Anyway, I think it was probably the first region adapter for real NEC hardware to hit the market over here, starting in Canada really (by him and his partner) ? They took parts from something else to build them I remember.

The Last Barbarian

Sorry guys been super busy.. Anyhow i decided to buy a supergrafx to play supergrafx games and import pc engine games..  That was the best solution i could come up with to hell with paying converter prices..

Now i just need to find a supergrafx not many popping up on ebay even ..

majors

That is not the most cost effective way to pay imports. Plus if you go down the road of buying the SGX games, you're in a world of gouge(unless you're getting a flash card, then you're set). In the meantime you can explore the world of US released games :)
TG/PCE Collection.
"Booze should be a choice, not a privilege" -KCDC (The FP)

Gypsy

Quote from: SignOfZeta on 08/18/2018, 07:22 PMI'm late to the party but, yeah, converters suck and for the stupid prices people pay for them you could just get a Core Grafx II. Internal mods are the best though since you'll probably want to waste $1000 on pirate copy of Sapphire and that needs an Arcade Card. Another option would be to trade the US Duo for two JP Duos and mod one of those...or maybe even not. If you're a noob there is no reason to buy a US version of a HuCARD other than the text heavy ones, of which there are like a half dozen, maybe. Save %50 one more by how buying JP ones and get way better cases as well.
Yeah...

I had access to playing US hus and gave it up w/o a second thought. I basically never played US hus. Japanese hus I play frequently...

hoobs88

Quote from: NightWolve on 08/19/2018, 07:57 PMIMG
We know who made it actually, he visits here now and then, dshadoff (David)
I didn't know that fun little fact.
1 title needed for a complete US Turbo Grafx collection: Magical Chase
Parasol Stars High Score = 119,783,770
https://www.pcengine-fx.com/forums/index.php?topic=9292.0
League of Legends Summoner Name = DeviousSideburns

SignOfZeta

Quote from: The Last Barbarian on 08/25/2018, 03:20 AMSorry guys been super busy.. Anyhow i decided to buy a supergrafx to play supergrafx games and import pc engine games..  That was the best solution i could come up with to hell with paying converter prices..

Now i just need to find a supergrafx not many popping up on ebay even ..
Congrats. You picked the most expensive and physically largest way of doing it.
IMG

nopepper

So you wanted a converter that could also play SGX games? If so, then yes, getting a SGX is definitely the best (and only) solution. I've often been tempted to get one of those beasts, but man, there are literally 3 games I would like to play in it, and one of them I've played to death in its Sega Genesis incarnation, so eventually sense gets the better of me.

In any case, if your original question was sincere, then the best approach (by best meaning most cost effective, practical, straightforward, etc.) is to have your Turbo Duo modded. Then you don't have to fiddle with finicky or expensive converters, you save space in your setup and have a single elegant solution to play all PCE games (sans the handful of SGX titles).

xcrement5x

Region mod that bad boy, best route with least chance for hiccups.