10/31/2023: Localization News - Dead of the Brain 1!

No, NOT a trick, a Halloween treat! Presenting the Dead of the Brain 1 English patch by David Shadoff for the DEAD last official PC Engine CD game published by NEC before exiting the console biz in 1999! I helped edit/betatest and it's also a game I actually finished in 2023, yaaay! Shubibiman also did a French localization. github.com/dshadoff/DeadoftheBrain
twitter.com/NightWolve/PCENews
Main Menu

PCE, SNES and Genesis Screen Comparison.

Started by awack, 03/25/2009, 10:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

awack

A % SCREENSHOTS HAVE BEEN CONSOLIDATED ON PAGE XX

OK, here are some comparison shots, I've made much more progress than this but every thing kinda looks the same up to that point.

Any more request, I'll just post them here.

Emerald Dragon
PC Engine SNES
Bonus: Epic Golem Battle GIF!

Ghouls 'n Ghosts / Dai Makaimura.

https://tcrf.net/Daimakaimura_(SuperGrafx)
https://archive.org/details/DaimakaimuraSuperGrafxHiResScans/
IMG

SuperGrafxGenesis
LICENSED BY CAPCOM
CAPCOM   Wed.26.10.1988
1990 NEC AVENUE
* Special Thanks *
Alfa System
HUDSON SOFT
1990/03/17
FOR SUPER GRAFX!
PC-Engine SUPER GRAFX staff DESIGN Ichizawa Kuwahara Matsuda Okada SOUND Takimoto Hoshi PROGRAM YAV F.K HaHi

Dungeon Explorer II
PC Engine SNES

nat

Which is which? The version on the left looks best.

Ceti Alpha

Quote from: nat on 03/25/2009, 10:21 PMWhich is which? The version on the left looks best.
Yeah, the SNES version wins out on most of those screen shots. Was the PCE port release before the SNES port?
IMG
"Let the CAW and Mystery of a Journey Unlike Any Other Begin"

awack

oops, sorry about that, its strange, when i was playing each game i thought the pce version looked better, but from the screen shots...i dont know.

rag-time4

I like the bright and colorful graphics of the PCE version. It has that super colorful 8 bit style that I like so much about the PCE.

awack

Quote from: Ceti Alpha on 03/25/2009, 10:26 PMYeah, the SNES version wins out on most of those screen shots. Was the PCE port release before the SNES port?
I think it was released a year and a half after the PCE version.

nat

The only matchup here I'll give to the Turbo version is the 4th set down-- where the character is facing the stairwell. The screens are nearly identical, save for the color choices. The coloring on the Turbo looks much better. In all the rest, the detail of the SNES version simply trumps any coloring differences.

Arkhan Asylum

No MSX comparisons?

I prefer the PCE one as well overall.   The colors are more vibrant .   SNES one was always a bit drab.
This "max-level forum psycho" (:lol:) destroyed TWO PC Engine groups in rage: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook "Because Chris 'Shadowland' Runyon!," then the other by Aaron Nanto "Because Le NightWolve!" Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together... Both times he blamed the Aarons in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged, destructive, toxic turbo troll gang!

Ceti Alpha

Quote from: nat on 03/25/2009, 10:35 PMThe only matchup here I'll give to the Turbo version is the 4th set down-- where the character is facing the stairwell. The screens are nearly identical, save for the color choices. The coloring on the Turbo looks much better. In all the rest, the detail of the SNES version simply trumps any coloring differences.
I agree. Not that the PCE wasn't capable of what the SNES is offering there, but the developers obviously decided to update the SNES port.
IMG

rag-time4

The SNES version looks like what the PCE version would look like if you were wearing sunglasses indoors while playing it.

Ceti Alpha

Quote from: rag-time4 on 03/25/2009, 11:33 PMThe SNES version looks like what the PCE version would look like if you were wearing sunglasses indoors while playing it.
Blublockers
IMG

rag-time4

Quote from: ceti alpha on 03/25/2009, 11:37 PM
Quote from: rag-time4 on 03/25/2009, 11:33 PMThe SNES version looks like what the PCE version would look like if you were wearing sunglasses indoors while playing it.
Blublockers
BLUBLOCKERS!!
Couldn't help it!

Keranu

There was a site (shadatannis.com, no longer up) that had a partial translation of the PCE game and also included a comparison gallery between all versions of this game I think.

I like the PCE graphics more overall. I bet the soundtrack is way better on PCE too.

Hahaha.  8)
Quote from: TurboXray on 01/02/2014, 09:21 PMAdding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).
IMG
Click the banner to learn more about Alex Chiu and his "immortality rings"

Ceti Alpha

You know, at first glance last night, I was thinking the SNES was better, but now I'm thinking it's not so cut and dry. The SNES certainly isn't blowing the PCE out of the water, but it does have some nicer details in some of the screenies. However, the colours on the PCE are much, much better than on the SNES, and even some of the detailing is better on the PCE.
IMG

paladinken

I like the bright, colorful graphics of the PC engine version. I don't really care for the more neutral colors of the SNES version.
IMG

NecroPhile

There are aspects of both versions which I like, so it's impossible for me to pick a clear winner.  Overall, I prefer the more vibrant colors of the PCE version (especially in the fifth shot), though some of the color choices seem inappropriate (i.e. sea-foam green grass in the first shot and pink floors and columns in the second shot).  The main draw of the SNES version is the redrawn artwork; the trees are much nicer looking in the last shot and the town is vastly improved in the second shot, especially the nicely done roofs and more natural looking ground.
Ultimate Forum Bully/Thief/Saboteur/Clone Warrior! BURN IN HELL NECROPHUCK!!!

nat

The details really seal the deal on the SNES version for me. And while the colors might be more "drab", they are certainly more realistic, as has been pointed out. The cartoon look has it's place, but I'm not sure Emerald Dragon is that place.

TurboXray

Quote from: guest on 03/26/2009, 11:22 AMThere are aspects of both versions which I like, so it's impossible for me to pick a clear winner.  Overall, I prefer the more vibrant colors of the PCE version (especially in the fifth shot), though some of the color choices seem inappropriate (i.e. sea-foam green grass in the first shot and pink floors and columns in the second shot).  The main draw of the SNES version is the redrawn artwork; the trees are much nicer looking in the last shot and the town is vastly improved in the second shot, especially the nicely done roofs and more natural looking ground.
Funny you should say that about the trees. Over all, I think they are better in the PCE version. The SNES one is just a mirror half. Some other tiles are like that on the snes version. I do like some of the other tile choices of the SNES version, but I don't like the drab colors.

Joe Redifer

I definitely like the buildings better in the SNES version in the second shot.  The PCE one looks like they have floors for roofs, whereas the SNES structures have actual roofs.  Some of the PCE screens seem eye-blindingly bright.

Ceti Alpha

Quote from: Joe Redifer on 03/26/2009, 09:50 PMI definitely like the buildings better in the SNES version in the second shot.  The PCE one looks like they have floors for roofs, whereas the SNES structures have actual roofs.  Some of the PCE screens seem eye-blindingly bright.
That's why you where your Blublockers when you play.  8)
IMG

Arkhan Asylum

Quote from: nat on 03/26/2009, 06:11 PMThe cartoon look has it's place, but I'm not sure Emerald Dragon is that place.
but... its got Anime cutscenes and cartoons on the box!

https://www.generation-msx.nl/software/glodia/emerald-dragon/release/1839/
IMG

Theres the MSX one....!

I dunno, I always prefer when an RPG uses vibrant, cartoony colors.  The only exception is probably Chrono Trigger.  I hated that Secret of Mana used vibrant colors, while the other SNES ones were more dull like Emerald Dragon.

Some games it is alright and looks good, and others, it makes the game lose a bit of its flair and atmosphere I think.
This "max-level forum psycho" (:lol:) destroyed TWO PC Engine groups in rage: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook "Because Chris 'Shadowland' Runyon!," then the other by Aaron Nanto "Because Le NightWolve!" Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together... Both times he blamed the Aarons in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged, destructive, toxic turbo troll gang!

rag-time4

Quote from: Joe Redifer on 03/26/2009, 09:50 PMI definitely like the buildings better in the SNES version in the second shot.  The PCE one looks like they have floors for roofs, whereas the SNES structures have actual roofs.  Some of the PCE screens seem eye-blindingly bright.
One thing about the PCE rooftops is that they have a kind of battlement or extra layer of bricks along the edge that the SNES version doesn't have. So perhaps the PC engine roofs are intended to act as floors, as in the roof of a castle that archers can shoot from.

NecroPhile

Quote from: Tom on 03/26/2009, 09:46 PMFunny you should say that about the trees. Over all, I think they are better in the PCE version.
The PCE trees look good when by themselves, as in the second pic, but the way their edges are shaded turns 'em into an undefined lump when clustered, as in the last pic.  Of course, the SNES trees aren't placed close enough together to see if they have a similar problem.

SignOfZeta

At the time the PCE version was the only version. The SNES version lacked the killer audio and cut scenes so it was kind of thought of as a joke. Emerald Dragon is sort of an emotional game and you really miss than on the SNES.
IMG

spenoza

The SNES version looks like it's had minor improvements in detail. However, the PCE version still holds up quite well in comparison, especially given the time between them.

awack

OK, Tokimeki Memorial, snes and pc engine comparison.... i don't think too many people know (or care, in the west at least) that this game came out on the Super Famicom.

PC EngineSNES
IMG IMG
IMG IMG
IMG IMG
IMG IMG
IMG IMG
IMG IMG
IMG IMG

nat

Well, since the shots are side by side rather than top to bottom, I'm going to assume you meant the Duo version is on the left. In that case, the Duo wins by a landslide in this matchup.

awack

QuoteWell, since the shots are side by side rather than top to bottom
Cool, thats the way i want them, on my computer their showing up stacked.

awack

Might & Magic III for the pc engine and snes, this is another high resolution game, so i resized the pc engine images from 320x239 to 256x224.

Might & Magic III
PC Engine SNES

Keranu

I say Tokimeki on SFC sort of wins on a landslide. The big resolution of the PCE is nice, but it also shows the limitations of the PCE's palette. SNES/SFC was simply more meant for handling digitized sketches/photos/whatever due to all the shades available.

I think I'm prefering the Duo M&M3 over SNES.
Quote from: TurboXray on 01/02/2014, 09:21 PMAdding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).
IMG

CrackTiger

Quote from: Keranu on 03/29/2009, 08:52 PMI say Tokimeki on SFC sort of wins on a landslide. The big resolution of the PCE is nice, but it also shows the limitations of the PCE's palette. SNES/SFC was simply more meant for handling digitized sketches/photos/whatever due to all the shades available.
I think that Tokimeki PCE is a game that shows how the PCE color variety balances out the limitations of the main palette. The extra detail isn't just recycled colors like a Mega-CD port might wind up and I think that the end result looks stunning. The SFC shots are bland in comparison/contrast and are heavily dithered.

QuoteI think I'm prefering the Duo M&M3 over SNES.
Screenshots aren't enough to show just how huge a difference there is. I've been dying to see how the Mega-CD version looks. I'm guessing that it's closer to the PCE version.

QuoteMight & Magic III for the pc engine and snes, this is another high resolution game, so i resized the pc engine images from 320x239 to 256x224.
Could you please keep the screenshots at their original resolution unless comparing specific proportions? The detail gets lost when resizing and you can't judge low res/low color graphics accurately when they get distorted. :)
Justin the Not-So-Cheery Black/Hack/CrackTiger helped Joshua Jackass, Andrew/Arkhan Dildovich and the DildoPhiles destroy 2 PC Engine groups: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook, then the other by Aaron Nanto!!! Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together! Both times he blamed the Aarons and their staff in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged/destructive/doxxing toxic turbo troll gang which he covers up for under the "community" euphemism!

spenoza

I think Tokimeki is a tie. The SNES has smoother colors, but the images all look too bright and washed out. And I think the wider resolution helps with other elements of detail.

MM3 definitely goes to the Duo from those pics. Much more like the PC version.

awack

QuoteCould you please keep the screenshots at their original resolution unless comparing specific proportions? The detail gets lost when resizing and you can't judge low res/low color graphics accurately when they get distorted.
Absolutely.

I think these will be the last of the Tokimeki Memorial shots i will be posting. The snes version has very simple textures compared to the pce version...the pce one almost looks hand painted.

PC EngineSNES
IMG IMG
IMG IMG
IMG IMG

Keranu

Quote from: guest on 03/29/2009, 09:22 PM
Quote from: Keranu on 03/29/2009, 08:52 PMI say Tokimeki on SFC sort of wins on a landslide. The big resolution of the PCE is nice, but it also shows the limitations of the PCE's palette. SNES/SFC was simply more meant for handling digitized sketches/photos/whatever due to all the shades available.
I think that Tokimeki PCE is a game that shows how the PCE color variety balances out the limitations of the main palette. The extra detail isn't just recycled colors like a Mega-CD port might wind up and I think that the end result looks stunning. The SFC shots are bland in comparison/contrast and are heavily dithered.
I know where you're coming from and I think the make up of detail for the lack of shading in some screenshots looks cool (like the shadows of the trees here), but there are some painful shades that stick out. There is a shade of yellow and green (yack!) on the salmon color road due to lack of proper shades to fill in (I think I would've swapped the green with white). This shot shows some digital artifact looking blocks on the building's exterior, with shades of green taking over the grey in the window area, opposed to smooth grey shading of the SFC version. And here is another very appearent example of shading limitations when you take a look at the pink infested wall! Again, I do acknowledge the point you are making and love the more artistic look the PCE's limitations gives off, but sometimes improper color usage like that can annoy me.
IMG

CrackTiger

QuoteThe snes version has very simple textures compared to the pce version...the pce one almost looks hand painted.
This is exactly how I look at it. Backgrounds like these from Tokimeki Memorial and games like Kabukiden remind me of backgrounds from Miyazaki films like Princess Mononoke and Totoro, which use a deceptively simple style of painting that looks more real than a regular photo.

Quote from: Keranu on 03/30/2009, 12:23 AMI know where you're coming from and I think the make up of detail for the lack of shading in some screenshots looks cool (like the shadows of the trees here), but there are some painful shades that stick out. There is a shade of yellow and green (yack!) on the salmon color road due to lack of proper shades to fill in (I think I would've swapped the green with white). This shot shows some digital artifact looking blocks on the building's exterior, with shades of green taking over the grey in the window area, opposed to smooth grey shading of the SFC version. And here is another very appearent example of shading limitations when you take a look at the pink infested wall! Again, I do acknowledge the point you are making and love the more artistic look the PCE's limitations gives off, but sometimes improper color usage like that can annoy me.
In the case of the yellow and green on the road, other colors would've worked better, but it's not because of a lack of compatible colors in the PCE palette. The developer should've cleaned something like that up. What stands out more to me, are the bottom two shades that look like realistic colored shadows cast by a sunset. The bottom shade on the SFC shot looks stands out against the peach colors and looks greenish in comparison. Kinda like the bland equivalent of the bright mismatched colors in the PCE shot. Also, the SFC scene dithers green against maroon/purple and further back just splotches the two together. Like with the PCE version, It's not a shortcoming of the hardware, the pixel artist should've done a better job.

The green mixed with the gray is a plus for me, Whether it was meant to be artistic or is a result of a quick conversion, like other sections such as the green and raspberry mixed in with the brown on the wooden stage, it looks all the more like a real painting. But not a soulless photo-realistic painting. I don't know what the term is, but here's the best example I could find quickly-

http://www.worldofwarcraft.com/burningcrusade/images/wallpapers/illidan/illidan-800x.jpg

I've probably talked about this with you before, but for the sake of discussion... Since all 16-bit console game graphics use very few colors per section, using shades or colors that are too similar can be a waste and not 'pop' like a select staggering. It really depends on how it's done, because many PCE games don't use they best colors just as many SFC games turned out too bland or dull looking at times.

But pictures like the backgrounds in Tokimeki are something different and look beautiful to me.
Justin the Not-So-Cheery Black/Hack/CrackTiger helped Joshua Jackass, Andrew/Arkhan Dildovich and the DildoPhiles destroy 2 PC Engine groups: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook, then the other by Aaron Nanto!!! Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together! Both times he blamed the Aarons and their staff in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged/destructive/doxxing toxic turbo troll gang which he covers up for under the "community" euphemism!

termis

The SFC shots look cleaner since it doesn't have the sometimes-dirty dithered look, but the SFC version doesn't have the detail of the PCE version, nor does it fill the screen.

I'll take the PCE version. (And once you add in the voices, CD music, and the whachamacall it shooter mini-game, there's just no contest).

Tatsujin

Quote from: termis on 03/30/2009, 06:36 AMthere's just no contest).
:!:

that counts for sheer all the date sims on pce vs. other (non cd) consoles.
www.pcedaisakusen.net - home of your individual PC Engine collection!!
PCE Games countdown: 690/737 (47 to go or 93.6% clear)
PCE Shmups countdown: 111/111 (all clear!!)
Sega does what Nintendon't, but only NEC does better than both together!^^
<Senshi> Tat's i'm going to contact the people of Hard Off and open a store stateside..

NecroPhile

Quote from: termis on 03/30/2009, 06:36 AMThe SFC shots look cleaner since it doesn't have the sometimes-dirty dithered look, but the SFC version doesn't have the detail of the PCE version, nor does it fill the screen.

I'll take the PCE version. (And once you add in the voices, CD music, and the whachamacall it shooter mini-game, there's just no contest).
Agreed.  The SFC version looks bland and flat compared to the PCE version, not to mention that all the people have disappeared from the SFC version.

esteban

At times, I prefer the PCE screens.

At other times, however, I prefer the SFC screens.
IMGIMG IMG  |  IMG  |  IMG IMG

spenoza

Esteban, are you DARING to suggest that the SFC was a competent machine, capable of producing fun? Because that kind of talk will get you killed around here...

"New York City!?!?!?!" "Get a rope!" Ah, the classic Pace commercials...

esteban

Quote from: guest on 03/31/2009, 12:22 PMEsteban, are you DARING to suggest that the SFC was a competent machine, capable of producing fun? Because that kind of talk will get you killed around here...
:)
IMGIMG IMG  |  IMG  |  IMG IMG

Keranu

Esteban and his smiley from hell. He tries to fool you into thinking it's a friendly gesture, but no, that smiley is the frickin' devil!
IMG

Joe Redifer

This thread rules.  More comparisons from various games.  MORE!!

awack

Not the exact same game but close enough. I included some item crashes.

SNES
IMG IMG
IMG IMG
IMG IMG
IMG

PCE
IMG IMG
IMG IMG
IMG IMG
IMG

Tatsujin

IMG

:shock: :shock: :shock:

damn i've never seen this scene. how to do that? :oops: :oops: :oops:

OT: not really hard to judge of which has the better graphics :lol: :lol:
<Senshi> Tat's i'm going to contact the people of Hard Off and open a store stateside..

awack

Quotedamn i've never seen this scene. how to do that?
DraculaX-MariaRidesHerKitty.png
OT: not really hard to judge of which has the better graphics
Thats the kitty cat item crash, the big cat will come on to the screen and maria grabs on to it.

Tatsujin

yeah..but how to do? :P

has it something to do with the cross in the BG?

awack

Quoteyeah..but how to do?

has it something to do with the cross in the BG?
No, just make sure you have the kitten item and i think between 15 and 20 hearts, then just press the select button, you can do that move anywhere.

Tatsujin

lol..LOL!!! as silly as it may sound now, but i've never tested this with the kitten item before :lol: :lol: :lol: :oops: :oops: :oops:

VestCunt

Quote from: Keranu on 03/29/2009, 08:52 PMI think I'm prefering the Duo M&M3 over SNES.
Ditto.  Looks a lot more like the computer game (or at least what I played on my Mac back in 94).  Also looks like the snes version doesn't have room for eight characters.

Quote from: Joe Redifer on 03/31/2009, 05:03 PMThis thread rules.  More comparisons from various games.  MORE!!
Yeah, we should make this thread a sticky (or maybe even it's own forum) and expand it to include any system.  PCE/SMS and PCE/PSX comparisons are fun too!

Topic Adjourned.