10/31/2023: Localization News - Dead of the Brain 1!

No, NOT a trick, a Halloween treat! Presenting the Dead of the Brain 1 English patch by David Shadoff for the DEAD last official PC Engine CD game published by NEC before exiting the console biz in 1999! I helped edit/betatest and it's also a game I actually finished in 2023, yaaay! Shubibiman also did a French localization. github.com/dshadoff/DeadoftheBrain
twitter.com/NightWolve/PCENews
Main Menu

What Turbo game are you currently playing?

Started by WandererFromYs, 02/28/2008, 12:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NecroPhile

Ultimate Forum Bully/Thief/Saboteur/Clone Warrior! BURN IN HELL NECROPHUCK!!!

Gypsy

Gonna play some dirty Sony consoles next. :(

NecroPhile

Gypsy

Quote from: guest on 02/07/2018, 04:11 PMTime for Ys then!
<3 <3 <3

I need to pick up VIII yet. I've already played through the others multiple times. So good.

Probably gonna play some shitty JRPG tonight, idk yet.

Winniez

One PC-engine game that I never get tired of is The New Adventure Island. Been playing it almost daily again. It has that great pick up and play quality to it, like having an arcade game at home. Its not that common with platforming games. I like all the Wonder Boy/Adventure Island games (and have beaten pretty much all of them) but this one just might be my favorite.
Its so simple and fast that it just begs to be played again and again. I usually pop it in quickly and see how far I can make with a single life. Feels almost like playing a good shooter but within the platforming genre, it has the same flow in it.

roflmao

I finally finished Startling Odyssey II! It took a little over 35 hours, but was all sorts of fun.

SOIIFin2018_02_07_15_34_11.jpg

NecroPhile

Nice one, rofl.  Is that the translated patch referencing the first game or is it ass backwards in the original too?

geise

Nice rofl! I need to play it. I haven't yet. So many other games I am in the middle of finishing. 

Winniez, I love New Adventure Island. You're sure right about it being a nice quick pick up and play. I also have neen been doing a good deal of Monster Lair lately. I love the music in that game so much. I still have never 1CC'ed Monster Lair. Even after all these decades.

roflmao

Quote from: guest on 02/09/2018, 04:55 PMNice one, rofl.  Is that the translated patch referencing the first game or is it ass backwards in the original too?
This was the translated patch version. I got a lol out of that. Was the first one ever translated?

NecroPhile

Not that I know of but maybe one day it will be.

roflmao

Quote from: guest on 02/15/2018, 02:05 PMNot that I know of but maybe one day it will be.
Will all the cool RPGs coming down the pipeline, I'm in no hurry.

nopepper

Quote from: Winniez on 02/08/2018, 07:22 PMOne PC-engine game that I never get tired of is The New Adventure Island. Been playing it almost daily again. It has that great pick up and play quality to it, like having an arcade game at home. Its not that common with platforming games. I like all the Wonder Boy/Adventure Island games (and have beaten pretty much all of them) but this one just might be my favorite.
Its so simple and fast that it just begs to be played again and again. I usually pop it in quickly and see how far I can make with a single life. Feels almost like playing a good shooter but within the platforming genre, it has the same flow in it.
Agreed!

In fact, just reading your post makes me want to play it. It's sooo good.

I also love the soundtrack and find myself humming its sugary tunes quite often.

seieienbu

I ran through Aldynes on emulator a few days ago.  Tonight I'm playing the reason I got into Turbo altogether, Blazing Lazers.
Current want list:  Bomberman 93

roflmao

I played some Out Run last night.

For kicks I streamed it on my Twitch channel. After numerous failed attempts I finally crossed the finish line!

The winning run starts here: https://www.twitch.tv/videos/240694798?t=00h34m09s

Galad

Quote from: seieienbu on 03/18/2018, 08:29 PMI ran through Aldynes on emulator a few days ago.  Tonight I'm playing the reason I got into Turbo altogether, Blazing Lazers.
Blazing Lazers was the first game I seen for Turbo-16,wanted one after seeing it.

Gypsy

Recently jammed some Outrun and Terraforming.

seieienbu

Quote from: Galad on 03/21/2018, 01:58 PMBlazing Lazers was the first game I seen for Turbo-16,wanted one after seeing it.
It's one of my favorites.  I didn't beat it the other night; it's been a while since I was successful.  I got pretty far though.  I may give it another shot tomorrow or so to bet the full clear.

Gypsy

Quote from: Gypsy on 03/21/2018, 02:00 PMRecently jammed some Outrun and Terraforming.
Went on a good Outrun binge today. Been awhile. Got a few clears via different routes but no insane scores by any means.

Winniez

Currently playing Gunhed, or Blazing Lazers since this is a Turbo thread. Trying to clear the game with only one life. I haven't managed it so far but it really shouldn't be that hard. The last stages are really difficult if you lose your power ups. So it shouldn't be that much more difficult to clear with one life than 1cc.

Gypsy

Great game. Compile knew how to make great shootunz, that's for sure.

Good luck with the 1 life clear. I know I couldn't pull that off but I did beat the game. Be sure to let us know if you pull it off.

Phase

Yeah Blazing Lazers is a fun game to go for a one life clear. You can try this romhack if you have an everdrive, its basically a 1lc version of the game.  :-"  https://www.pcengine-fx.com/forums/index.php?topic=20918.0

Have you tried any of the higher difficulties yet? I usually play on Hard Mode (hard human) which seems more like Normal and how the game is suppose to be played, and Normal Dog seems like an easy mode..
After playing hard human most of the time, when you play normal dog its like playing in slow motion.

The game is pretty interesting in that it also has sub-difficulty levels (not sure what to call it) depending on your power up level while your playing. More noticeable on higher difficulties when you take a hit and all the sudden the enemy fire slows down. A neat mechanic though since it makes it easier to recover from losing a life or taking a hit compared to other shooters.

EmperorIng

Quote from: Phase on 03/24/2018, 08:56 PMThe game is pretty interesting in that it also has sub-difficulty levels (not sure what to call it)
In shootemup parlance we call this 'rank.' The game lowers the rank every time you die in order to make it easier to jump back in. Conversely, the longer you survive and more you are powered up, the more the game throws at you. It's been a feature since the 80s, notably in Gradius or other Konami games, which drastically scale back difficulty in order to get you back in the game. Some games are not as kind though: Darius Gaiden infamously does not decrease the dynamic difficulty no matter how much you die.

Compile's excellent Zanac is one more excellent example of rank/dynamic difficulty in games - no waves, but the enemy formations are entirely based off of your weapon loadout and power-level. It's something I wish they would have done more often.

Phase

Interesting stuff, do you have any idea exactly how Gunheds rank system works? I haven't looked into it specifically but I think it just works off of your power up level. An easy setting for low power, a normal setting for in the middle and a hard setting for high power. The high power area seems to only kick in with certain maxed out weapon combos afaik. I've only really noticed it on the second level boss, most of the time he only shoots 1 triangle tracking-missile but with certain maxed out weapons like a II and F combo he will shoot two triangle missiles. I assume other stuff gets ramped up too, but not sure.

I wonder if it works like this..  non selectable Easy, Normal Dog(default), Hard Human, Super Mania, God of Game, non selectable Hardest and it just switches 1 up or 1 down depending on your power up level. If this is the case, it could mean we could hack in the two extra modes.  :-k I could be entirely wrong..

PukeSter

Isn't Hard mode from Blazing Lazers the default normal in Gunhed?

Phase

Quote from: guest on 03/26/2018, 08:51 PMIsn't Hard mode from Blazing Lazers the default normal in Gunhed?
Negative, they are the same.

Gypsy

PC Denjin. It's so rad. Everybody is so  8) 8) 8).

GoldenWheels

Goddamn Raiden is hard. Once I have the first few levels down and know where to save bombs for, it's getting easier but...damn.

Psycho Punch

I always get sodomized by the airstrip boss in Raiden, I rarely make it through but it's not like it gets any easier from there on.
This Toxic Turbo Troll & Clone Warrior calls himself "Burning Fight!!" on Neo-Geo.com
For a good time, reach out to: aleffrenan94@gmail.com or punchballmariobros@gmail.com
Like DildoKobold, dildos are provided free of charge, no need to bring your own! :lol:
He also ran scripts to steal/clone this forum which blew up the error logs!
I had to delete THOUSANDS of error log entries cause of this nutcase!
how_to_spell_ys_sign_origin_ver.webp

PukeSter

Not much lately.

Played a bit of Street Fighter II though. It's a great version, I love the music and colors. Shame about the lack of Turbo (not so much the speed but it has extra moves). Better than genny but snes just takes the cake overall.

Freeway2

Me and a bud have been playing a lot of Hit The Ice. Has anyone beat this before. We make it to what I think is the final team the Blacks and come up short. Other than that double dragon II, Shinobi and Bonks Aventure/3.
"If I took this cigarette and put it out on you would you love me"

TheClash603

Quote from: Freeway2 on 04/01/2018, 12:17 AMMe and a bud have been playing a lot of Hit The Ice. Has anyone beat this before. We make it to what I think is the final team the Blacks and come up short. Other than that double dragon II, Shinobi and Bonks Aventure/3. 
I have played this game a ton, but never against the computer.  Now I feel like I gotta give it a try

Gredler

hit the ice, classic, but no tv sports hockey

:cook:

esteban

Quote from: nopepper on 02/16/2018, 05:38 PM
Quote from: Winniez on 02/08/2018, 07:22 PMOne PC-engine game that I never get tired of is The New Adventure Island. Been playing it almost daily again. It has that great pick up and play quality to it, like having an arcade game at home. Its not that common with platforming games. I like all the Wonder Boy/Adventure Island games (and have beaten pretty much all of them) but this one just might be my favorite.
Agreed!

In fact, just reading your post makes me want to play it. It's sooo good.

I also love the soundtrack and find myself humming its sugary tunes quite often.
So, it was perfect timing reading about NAI... I was going to hook up PCE, but since I only have NA New Adventure Island and Splatterhouse  hueys, I decided to hook up the old TG-16 for my twins.

My twins were frustrated with NAI last time they played it (like 6+ months ago...) *but* I am hoping that they will actually be able to play it (instead of constantly dying).

My 14 year old is too invested in other games (like Super Smash Bros.) to care about NAI or Splatterhouse, but I'm hoping she gives NAI a chance.

Quote from: EmperorIng on 03/25/2018, 08:43 PM
Quote from: Phase on 03/24/2018, 08:56 PMThe game is pretty interesting in that it also has sub-difficulty levels (not sure what to call it)
In shootemup parlance we call this 'rank.' The game lowers the rank every time you die in order to make it easier to jump back in. Conversely, the longer you survive and more you are powered up, the more the game throws at you. It's been a feature since the 80s, notably in Gradius or other Konami games, which drastically scale back difficulty in order to get you back in the game. Some games are not as kind though: Darius Gaiden infamously does not decrease the dynamic difficulty no matter how much you die.

Compile's excellent Zanac is one more excellent example of rank/dynamic difficulty in games - no waves, but the enemy formations are entirely based off of your weapon loadout and power-level. It's something I wish they would have done more often.
Quote from: Phase on 03/26/2018, 07:28 PMInteresting stuff, do you have any idea exactly how Gunheds rank system works? I haven't looked into it specifically but I think it just works off of your power up level. An easy setting for low power, a normal setting for in the middle and a hard setting for high power. The high power area seems to only kick in with certain maxed out weapon combos afaik. I've only really noticed it on the second level boss, most of the time he only shoots 1 triangle tracking-missile but with certain maxed out weapons like a II and F combo he will shoot two triangle missiles. I assume other stuff gets ramped up too, but not sure.

I wonder if it works like this..  non selectable Easy, Normal Dog(default), Hard Human, Super Mania, God of Game, non selectable Hardest and it just switches 1 up or 1 down depending on your power up level. If this is the case, it could mean we could hack in the two extra modes.  :-k I could be entirely wrong..
I would love to hear further discussion on how the "rank" mechanic works in GunHed/BL.

GOD OF GAME or GO HOME, pussyfooters.

:)
IMGIMG IMG  |  IMG  |  IMG IMG

Winniez

Interesting to read about your kids playing the New Adventure Island Esteban. I think for younger gamers its not an ideal game. It starts out relatively difficult and fast without much time to get adjusted to the controls and gameplay, that leads to a quick frustration. It doesn't have that in-built tutorial like Mario games in their first levels.
I would try Bonk with them, or the later Adventure Island games on Famicom (but not the first one!)

esteban

Quote from: Winniez on 04/14/2018, 11:22 PMInteresting to read about your kids playing the New Adventure Island Esteban. I think for younger gamers its not an ideal game. It starts out relatively difficult and fast without much time to get adjusted to the controls and gameplay, that leads to a quick frustration. It doesn't have that in-built tutorial like Mario games in their first levels.
I would try Bonk with them, or the later Adventure Island games on Famicom (but not the first one!)
Yup, exactly, totally frustrating, but guess what? My daughter loves R-TYPE (she can't make it far) and my son loves Mr. Heli (he gets further than I thought possible, but that's not saying much).

Yes, they enjoy Bonk (1-3), Pac Land, Bomberman (all), Double Dragon II, Hanii on the Road, etc. (totally random stuff).

My first AI was, of course NES AI (they haven't seen that yet, but they do like a lot of NES games).

Freeway2

While testing my CD systems I've been playing Gate Of Thunder. I've always been very poor at this one but I feel like I turned a corner today by showing more patience.  I'm also trying to beat the last car on Chase H.Q. I get so close to blowing that black car up but I always get screwed at the end :)
"If I took this cigarette and put it out on you would you love me"

The Last Barbarian

R-Type and Splatterhouse two of my favorite turbo games

esteban

Quote from: Freeway2 on 04/18/2018, 03:09 AMWhile testing my CD systems I've been playing Gate Of Thunder. I've always been very poor at this one but I feel like I turned a corner today by showing more patience.  I'm also trying to beat the last car on Chase H.Q. I get so close to blowing that black car up but I always get screwed at the end :)
I have never beaten Chase HQ... I gotta do that.

Psycho Punch

I played Legendary Axe and finally beat it with 1 credit today! Plus I was recording it so right into youtube it goes.
:mrgreen:
This Toxic Turbo Troll & Clone Warrior calls himself "Burning Fight!!" on Neo-Geo.com
For a good time, reach out to: aleffrenan94@gmail.com or punchballmariobros@gmail.com
Like DildoKobold, dildos are provided free of charge, no need to bring your own! :lol:

Gypsy

seieienbu

I've only beaten Legendary Axe a couple of times.  Normally when I get to the doors section I game over and get weak and then give up.  Nice run through.

esteban

Quote from: guest on 05/06/2018, 03:33 AMLegendary Axe
It always feel like an accomplishment to beat this game.

Psycho Punch

Quote from: seieienbu on 05/06/2018, 06:13 PMI've only beaten Legendary Axe a couple of times.  Normally when I get to the doors section I game over and get weak and then give up.  Nice run through.
You can see in that run that I actually lose a couple of lives on corridor "L". This is straight up the most unfair section of the whole game and is enough to knock the game down a point, I mean there are plenty of cheap traps in the game but you can avoid them easily if you're careful, not there though. But it's still a very solid game nonetheless.

Galad

I've completed Legendary Axe with save states,cheating?there's now way I could have accomplished it without save states.Really enjoyed the game though.

Pfloydguy2

I adore shmups, even though I'm terrible at them. One of my favorite games is the original arcade Raiden.  The TurboGrafx port was the first game I bought for my Turbo - I actually bought it quite a while before I bought the console.  My first impression wasn't good though.  It starts off way harder than the arcade version, with about twice as many enemies attacking you in the first level. 

But I gave it another shot a few weeks ago on a whim, and I was pleased to find it's actually MORE manageable than most other versions once you get decently powered up.  The spread shot (red powerup) seems wider and stronger than in other versions after 3-4 powerups, and that makes the game much more playable. 

So now I'm hooked on TurboGrafx Raiden.

esteban

Quote from: Pfloydguy2 on 05/08/2018, 11:31 PMI adore shmups, even though I'm terrible at them. One of my favorite games is the original arcade Raiden.  The TurboGrafx port was the first game I bought for my Turbo - I actually bought it quite a while before I bought the console.  My first impression wasn't good though.  It starts off way harder than the arcade version, with about twice as many enemies attacking you in the first level. 

But I gave it another shot a few weeks ago on a whim, and I was pleased to find it's actually MORE manageable than most other versions once you get decently powered up.  The spread shot (red powerup) seems wider and stronger than in other versions after 3-4 powerups, and that makes the game much more playable. 

So now I'm hooked on TurboGrafx Raiden.
It is such a great port.

seieienbu

Raiden's a game I haven't been able to get very far in.  It's pretty rough.

isoto2476

JJ and Jeff is always in my console to start off. Love that game and have yet to beat it. That music on the first level is great :-({|= ...

TelcoSurveyor

Quote from: isoto2476 on 05/11/2018, 03:43 PMJJ and Jeff is always in my console to start off. Love that game and have yet to beat it. That music on the first level is great :-({|= ...
JJ and Jeff is one I always go for. Such a fun and brutal platformer. The music is great as well.
I'm the Wind, Baby!

GoldenWheels

Baby Jo...damn this game is the suck.