@GTV reviews the Cosmic Fantasy 1-2 Switch collection by Edia, provides examples of the poor English editing/localization work. It's much worse for CF1. Rated "D" for disappointment, finding that TurboGrafx CF2 is better & while CF1's the real draw, Edia screwed it up...
Main Menu

That movie you just watched

Started by Medic_wheat, 06/09/2014, 07:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NightWolve

Quote from: HailingTheThings on 10/24/2014, 11:21 PMRecently watched:
Amazing Spider-Man 2 (worse than I could have possibly imagined, like fucking Batman Forever bad)
Yeah, it was terrible. I dunno how a great actor like Paul Giamatti could create one of those worst villain characters I have ever seen in a movie... Watch "Shoot 'em up" with Clive Owen to see the contrast of a great villain that he played.

HailingTheThings

Quote from: NightWolve on 01/27/2015, 07:46 PM
Quote from: HailingTheThings on 10/24/2014, 11:21 PMRecently watched:
Amazing Spider-Man 2 (worse than I could have possibly imagined, like fucking Batman Forever bad)
Yeah, it was terrible. I dunno how a great actor like Paul Giamatti could create one of those worst villain characters I have ever seen in a movie... Watch "Shoot 'em up" with Clive Owen to see the contrast of a great villain that he played.
I've heard good things about that movie just never got around to watching it and kinda forgot about it. I'll have check it out. Thanks.
IMG

NightWolve

Oh, it's a pretty nonstop actionfest, one of the best action movies that I've ever seen...

HailingTheThings

Quote from: NightWolve on 01/28/2015, 12:51 AMOh, it's a pretty nonstop actionfest, one of the best action movies that I've ever seen...
Assuming you've seen your fair share of Dolphs and Arnolds, that's really saying something. Hard to imagine Clive Owen being one of them action dudes. Don't get me wrong, I like the guy, but he rubbed me the wrong way in Sin City and Closer. Both movies he had a line that made me simultaneously lol and cringe. For Sin is was that "I'll smack ya." line and Closer it was something along the lines of "Show me your pussy."
IMG

Psycho Punch

I watched the new Dracula movie yesterday. Cool but nothing to write home about.
This Toxic Turbo Troll & Clone Warrior calls himself "Burning Fight!!" on Neo-Geo.com
For a good time, reach out to: aleffrenan94@gmail.com or punchballmariobros@gmail.com
Like DildoKobold, dildos are provided free of charge, no need to bring your own! :lol:
He also ran scripts to steal/clone this forum which blew up the error logs!
I had to delete THOUSANDS of error log entries cause of this nutcase!
how_to_spell_ys_sign_origin_ver.webp

roflmao

"Shoot em up" is a freaking killer movie. (no pun intended)

VenomMacbeth

Just watched Galaxy Express 999 for the first time since I was 8, and I just realized Captain Harlock is voiced by the same fellow that narrated Exile.

[EDIT:] well according to IMDB, I'm dead wrong about this.  They sound extremely similar though.
Quote from: Gogan on 08/01/2013, 09:54 AMPlay Turbografx.
Play the Turbografx. PLAY
THE TURBOGRAFX!!!!!!

Buh buh buh, I have almost all teh games evar.  I R TEH BESTEST COLLECTR!!

MotherGunner

Just saw the new Robocop.  Niether hated it or loved it.
-MG

SI VIS PACEM, PARA BELLUM (If you want peace, Prepare for war)
SI VIS BELLUM, PARA MATRIMONIUM (If you want war, Prepare for marriage)

esteban

Quote from: VenomMacbeth on 03/30/2015, 11:50 PMJust watched Galaxy Express 999 for the first time since I was 8, and I just realized Captain Harlock is voiced by the same fellow that narrated Exile.

[EDIT:] well according to IMDB, I'm dead wrong about this.  They sound extremely similar though.
I love Galaxy Express 999  :)

Nostalgia.
IMGIMG IMG  |  IMG  |  IMG IMG

xcrement5x

Quote from: esteban on 03/31/2015, 05:29 PM
Quote from: VenomMacbeth on 03/30/2015, 11:50 PMJust watched Galaxy Express 999 for the first time since I was 8, and I just realized Captain Harlock is voiced by the same fellow that narrated Exile.

I love Galaxy Express 999  :)

Nostalgia.
Maetel!  I saw an awesome Maetel original sketch up for sale in Japan a week or so ago but it was already in like the $900 range, wowsers.

Dan Iacovelli

went to see Home yesterday in 2D pretty decent movie even has a moral at the end

VenomMacbeth

Anyone here seen Doom Generation?
Quote from: Gogan on 08/01/2013, 09:54 AMPlay Turbografx.
Play the Turbografx. PLAY
THE TURBOGRAFX!!!!!!

Buh buh buh, I have almost all teh games evar.  I R TEH BESTEST COLLECTR!!

TurboGrafx

Just watched VHS: Viral because it was added to netflix. Honestly, I was not impressed at all.

SplatterTrigger

I just saw Gone Girl. That was pretty fucked up.

jeffhlewis

Just saw Whiplash (loved it) and Furious 7...like with any F&TF movie, if you go in expecting a fun, dumb action flick you won't be disappointed. Worth it for the stunts alone.

Warbucks

Just saw Exodus Gods and Kings

It was actually really good... It's like the story of Moses meets Gladiator.

jtucci31

Quote from: jeffhlewis on 04/09/2015, 01:10 AMJust saw Whiplash (loved it)
Whiplash was really good. I loved JK Simmons in that. It was inspiring yet at the same time very discouraging. I don't think I've ever put that much effort into anything, ever. lol

EvilEvoIX

Just saw Jersey Boys with my dad.  It was fun and my dad was reminiscing about the 50's & 60's in NY/NJ.  It was fun and went into how successful Frankie Valli was but also glossed over key points.  Gratuitous breaking of the 4th wall.  6-10 I give it,
IMGIMGIMG
Quote from: PCEngineHellI already dropped him a message on there and he did not reply back, so fuck him, and his cunt wife.

NightWolve

I did my part to support the Terminator franchise and saw the new "Terminator 5: Genisys" sequel in 3D the other day. I guess the negative reviews are about right, it's an OK action movie, but lacking...

I'm kinda surprised James Cameron said he liked it and considered a truer sequel, but once again, the fact is, every sequel after James Cameron has never lived up and the same was true for this one. It's interesting and the actor who played John Connor is good, but it just doesn't pack the punch that T2 does, I'm sad to say. It's worth watching though, and I'd watch it again when it comes out on digital video.

http://www.enstarz.com/articles/49033/20141021/terminator-5-news-james-cameron-to-re-invent-the-franchise-in-2019-video.htm

It'll be interesting to see what happens in 2019 when the Terminator movie IP Rights apparently revert back to James Cameron so he'll own them.

NightWolve

Hahahaha, yeah, I saw that too! Similar AI plots in many movies like that over the decades, but yeah, I know what you're referring to. ;) Some cold ass shit there...

Digi.k

Chappie;  an anime inspired live action sci fi movie set in Johannesburg.  The movie has themes of robots being used for fighting crime, meets overly ambitious developers meets artificial intelligence, meets life after death.

It's interesting and it makes you think but I felt the storyline and it's themes needed to delve a bit more deeper to satisfy.

IMG

EvilEvoIX

It Follows, best horror movie I've seen in years.  It goes out of its way to be of the late 70's, early 80's Genre and is quite ambiguous to what time period it is.  Old tv's and cars but they have Smart Devices.  The premise itself is psychological and never stops.

I loved it.
IMGIMGIMG
Quote from: PCEngineHellI already dropped him a message on there and he did not reply back, so fuck him, and his cunt wife.

NightWolve

Yeah, I liked Chappie well enough, it's from the District 9 director. Never seen Hugh Jackman play a stereotypical bad guy before and I don't think it suited him well.

I guess I'll add a fuller list of recent movies:

*Termimator: Genisys

*Appleseed Alpha (anime) - While nothing revolutionary here, I like it. A "B" SciFi post-apocalyptic action flick.

*Ex Machina - Basic AI plot of creation turning on its creator. Worth watching!

*Chappie

*The Lazarus Effect - Olivia Wilde!!!!

*The SpongeBob Movie: Sponge Out of Water (Heh!)

*Skin Trade (Dolph Lundgren, Ron Perlman and Tony Jaa [of Ong-bak] together)

*Snowpiercer (Chris Evans, Ed Harris) - One heck of a weird movie I didn't think I should bother watching!

*Dracula Untold - Pleasantly surprised, was pretty good!

*Hot Tub Time Machine 2 - Just as much an amusing trainwreck as the first one.

*Maggie - Arnold Schwarzenegger versus zombies ? Yep! Didn't ever see that one coming! It's a low-budget "B" zombie flick. It deals with the moral question/dilemma of how a family would react trying/risking to get as much time as possible with loved ones before their zombie infection inevitably takes its toll and they transform (and are no more)... How long before pulling the trigger, risking your neighborhood, risking yourself, etc. ??

IMG

*St. Vincent - Bill Murray!! Yay! And he did alright in this! It's not a phoned-in-performance!

*Talladega Nights - The use of Pat Benatar's "We Belong" song in the final race made this trainwreck worth a watch. The cougar-in-the-car challenge made for good lulz as well. It's mostly a trashy movie, intentionally offensive/obnoxious at parts but you kinda knew what you were getting with the lower end quality of Will Ferrell movies.

* Get Hard - Another Will Ferrell crap movie good for some lulz now and then.

* Sex Tape - Surprised to find Jack Black in this movie. It's OK...

* Superfast - Dumb slapstick Fast'n'Furious spoof/parody. There were surprisingly lots of lulz in this. If you wanna kill time with a dopey comedy, it's worth a watch.

* Jupiter Ascending - I had high hopes for this as it marked the latest movie from the Wachowskis, creators of The Matrix trilogy... Sadly, they have long since lost their mojo... It's great on effects, but just doesn't pack the punch that something like the Matrix did...

* Interstellar - In summary, this is an excellent SciFi space drama at its core and well worth the price of admission. You usually can't go wrong with the Batman Begins/Batman: The Dark Knight writer/director Christopher Nolan and apparently his brother. However...

Interstellar Major Gripes/Annoyances:
1) In the very beginning of the movie, we are introduced to a future post-apocalyptic America where science text books have been "corrected" to state that we never landed on the moon, that is, the Apollo missions were faked, and it was all just brilliant anti-Soviet Communist propaganda to bankrupt them into a space race, etc. Moon Landing denial is now the state curriculum... In other words, the tin-foil hat conspiracy "truthers" *won* in this particular future... I was really irritated by the inclusion of this propaganda essentially getting mainstream coverage with the movie as its vehicle. It would've been the same as if 9/11 inside job "George W. Bush did it!!!" truther nutjobs got their propaganda in a big-budget Hollyweird blockbuster for dissemination...

2) Time travel, time travel paradoxes and warped notions of the theory of relativity also really annoyed me... Time travel/paradoxes occur in many movies, like the Terminator Movies, so I'm used to that and it's just a matter of suspension of disbelief to just enjoy the fantasy of the story being told... Is it however sometimes hard to do, and more so with this movie... Unfortunately, you DO get people REALLY believing that time travel is possible because of its frequent use in science *fiction* movies, but oh well...

3) Purty heavy plagiarism from Event Horizon!!! In one scene, the concept of a wormhole is discussed by one of the mission team members. This dialogue complete with using the piece of paper for visual demonstration is ALMOST verbatim from a great SciFi horror movie known as Event Horizon with Sam Neill, Lawrence Fishburne, directed by Paul W. S. Anderson (after he did the first Mortal Kombat movie incidentally).

OK, so, in one scene, Sam Neill's character explains his revolutionary new space engine. He asks other team members what is the shortest distance between 2 points ? The answer is obvious: a straight line. However, Neill responds with "Wrong! The shortest distance between 2 points is...ZERO!" The "right" answer is to fold space between point A and B so both points coexist in the same space time and for then the ship to emerge out to point B, etc. Neill's character gives this presentation with a piece of paper he drew on which he then folds, lines up point A over point B, then thrusts his pen through both, and skewering a pin-up girl for a little sexual comedy, etc. Same thing just about is done in Interstellar, minus the pin-up and much shorter!! I wonder how many also caught this! Could be considered a respectful homage to Event Horizon of course, but yeah, it's way too similar to not be a direct form of borrowing...

------------------------

So ignoring some of the nonsense involved with this movie, you have what is an epic space drama as I said and I recommend it! I had to watch it twice and I think many will also need to in order to understand the plot better. I think you should enable subtitles while watching because many lines aren't clear and you'll miss out. Personally, I always turn them on because I hate to rewind when I miss something and some times you see text you never would've ever been able to make out no matter what because it just wasn't considered important enough.

EvilEvoIX

Quote from: NightWolve2) Time travel, time travel paradoxes and warped notions of the theory of relativity also really annoyed me... Time travel/paradoxes occur in many movies, like the Terminator Movies, so I'm used to that and it's just a matter of suspension of disbelief to just enjoy the fantasy of the story being told... Is it however sometimes hard to do, and more so with this movie... Unfortunately, you DO get people REALLY believing that time travel is possible because of its frequent use in science *fiction* movies, but oh well...
relativistic time travel does indeed exist and even has been experienced by Astronauts albeit on a extremely miniscule scale.

Good read here.
IMGIMGIMG

NightWolve

Quote from: EvilEmoX on 07/08/2015, 10:29 PM
Quote from: NightWolve2) Time travel, time travel paradoxes and warped notions of the theory of relativity also really annoyed me... Time travel/paradoxes occur in many movies, like the Terminator Movies, so I'm used to that and it's just a matter of suspension of disbelief to just enjoy the fantasy of the story being told... Is it however sometimes hard to do, and more so with this movie... Unfortunately, you DO get people REALLY believing that time travel is possible because of its frequent use in science *fiction* movies, but oh well...
relativistic time travel does indeed exist and even has been experienced by Astronauts albeit on a extremely miniscule scale.

Good read here.
I'm talking about the idea of genuine "traveling back in time," which requires recording/knowing the position of every atom of a place as it was in the past, and being able to recreate that, rearrange the atoms within a fixed area (like say a Star Trek holodeck) while keeping your atoms (the traveler) in place... I met a moron once (arrogant too, couldn't unconvince him with logic!) that believed the idea of traveling faster than the speed of light would result in you eventually traveling back in time (because that's been done in movies)... Traveling fast in any point in an infinite universe just takes you further away from the starting point... So yeah, science fiction movies create believers who can't separate fact from fiction.

Freezing a person's atoms for say 200 years, and then unfreezing him, assuming he can survive the process, can be considered "forward time travel" (though misleading and inappropriate really) and possibly feasible in the future if the subject can survive the freeze/unfreeze process. That's a feasible concept, your atoms frozen for a time, while the atoms of the earth continue their course... But rearranging the atoms of the earth as they were exactly back in 1900 or whatever time you wanted to travel to, is not a feasible concept, it's fantasy/fiction based on the age old question of what would you do if you could go back in time and change an event, do something different, or gain the opportunity to explore, etc.

Anyway, what you mention, that an astronaut's body might be slowed down a bit, slightly less heartbeats, slightly less breaths, slightly slowed chemical processes inside cells, etc. versus a human on this earth for the same amount of time, and that when he/she returns to earth they're slightly less aged is the same thing as the freezing concept. It's certainly not like a completely fictional concept of a magical recording machine that could control atoms in such a way to rearrange them backwards or forwards, etc. But yeah, using "time travel" for this really is inappropriate and misleading. The theory of relativity and the fictional time travel concept don't belong in the same sentence.

EvilEvoIX

Idk dude, if you were to have a powerful gravity drive that would transport you to areas in space faster than light you might arrive before you left.

http://www.ibtimes.co.uk/physicists-prove-time-travel-possible-by-sending-particles-light-into-past-1453839

I believe that when the universe was ummm "Created" every moment of time (time being a Dimensional) was also created.  Hawking discusses particles that go back in time as they rotate at superluminal speeds as well.  You look at time travel as rearranging atoms, I look at it as a actual movement in time. 

Time goes forwards, slows down, stops, and even goes backwards.

http://metro.co.uk/2015/02/11/time-actually-goes-backwards-scientists-reveal-5058265/

You simply need a gravity drive that can warp space so you get to another area FTL.  You'll arrive faster and before you think.  Then you run into M theory and Entanglement which is just maddening.
IMGIMGIMG

NightWolve

Quote from: EvilEvoIX on 07/09/2015, 07:40 AMIdk dude, if you were to have a powerful gravity drive that would transport you to areas in space faster than light you might arrive before you left.
Oh dear, you're one of those that's bought into all this...

QuoteTime goes forwards, slows down, stops, and even goes backwards.
You're thinking of a clock...

QuoteHawking discusses particles that go back in time
Correction: Hawking states backwards time travel is impossible. Period.

QuoteYou simply need a gravity drive that can warp space so you get to another area FTL.  You'll arrive faster and before you think.
There's nothing in the universe recording every moment of existence as far as we know...

THINK: If I wanted to go back to say the year 1900 on earth, what is the concept necessary to achieve that ?? I would've needed a powerful force that recorded the position of every particle/every atom of the earth in 1900, and for it to be able to rearrange all particles/atoms to exactly what they were in said year (1900), while leaving me, the traveler, in tact... You would preferably wanna make a copy of the earth, rather than rearrange the particles/atoms of the existing earth as that would destroy it (the present)...

Maybe God has the power to do this, MAYBE, but you could only ever be agnostic as to his full power and it gets us into the supernatural. As it stands for us humans, there's no science to indicate/hint that we have access to all of the universe's memories, events, AKA "a universe tape recorder" to keep track of everything and allow one to access it for such purposes...

Newsflash: The past has been forever lost... The living have memories of some of the past (the brain being a recorder of sorts), and while we preserve some of it, we could never recreate an exact day in the past exactly as it once was. Every moment of existence is just a change of position of particles/atoms... You cannot make all of the particles/atoms of the earth go back in exactly the same configuration to what they were a second ago, a week ago, a month ago, a year ago, etc... That's needing control of trillions and trillions and trillions of particles/atoms... However, your body (its particles/atoms) could possibly one day be frozen/unfrozen, THAT'S A FEASIBLE CONCEPT, and if you wanted to know what the world would be like say in 50 years and there was a facility to store you (think Demolition Man), that could be thought of as "sending you to the future..."

So, one is possibly doable (IF the freeze/unfreeze process can work some day), the other is ridiculous and NOT doable, it's science fiction/fantasy, not fact! There's nothing recording the past - it's not possible - for you to ever be able to access it... But yes, one day we *might* be able to Buck Rogers your ass into the future if the human body could survive a freeze/unfreeze process which is not possible right now...

Anyway, does that make sense to you now or not ? Freezing your body is exerting control over your particles/atoms, a VERY SMALL amount compared to the ridiculous concept of controlling and changing the particles/atoms of all or some of planet earth to what they were in some past day/time, assuming you could even possibly record such data and have the memory to store it... But yes, keep believing in "gravity drives" and "warping space..."

esteban

SIMPLE: the only way for TRUE TIME TRAVEL (backwards) is if we are all all part of a Matrix/computer simulation...

...and, the very act of going back will alter history (on a micro-scale, at least, no matter how carefully you try not to disturb things)...

...and since we know humans are often SELFISH, IMPULSIVE and/or IMPERFECT bastards, it is safe to assume that folks will constantly be attempting to go back in time (for nefarious and altruistic reasons).

It's the last point that is most important: if time travel were possible, people would be constantly meddling and F*CKING SHIT UP which means that ALL OF THESE F'D UP ALTERNATE HISTORIES WOULD BE EXPONENTIALLY GENERATING, AD FINITUM.   

Also, the idea that all history is generated at the moment of creation is so f*cking DETERMINISTIC that it completely removes free will. We are all predestined to follow a certain path...even our time-traveling would be accounted for, somehow, in this deterministic concept of history/future/present.  I say: bullshite.

That's pretty complicated with just one Earth and its history. But to think of all the celestial bodies, and all the possibilities...

EvilEvoIX

I lost you at "Hawking is a hack", but to save TIME I view time as a dimension.  A strong enough gravity field does indeed slow down time to a crawl and this happens near a black hole.  Your view of time is that of it being nonexistent and only made up in our heads but it is indeed a diamension and I believe we can send particles back, maybe in a millennia or two people by warping space/time as well.  But no time travel is not rearranging every atom back to a previous state.

The fact that light is constant no matter the observers speed lets us know time itself is malleable and I am willing to bet time exists as a long string of events that can be traveled within.
IMGIMGIMG

esteban

Quote from: EvilEvoIX on 07/09/2015, 09:23 AMI lost you at "Hawking is a hack", but to save TIME I view time as a dimension.  A strong enough gravity field does indeed slow down time to a crawl and this happens near a black hole.  Your view of time is that of it being nonexistent and only made up in our heads but it is indeed a diamension and I believe we can send particles back, maybe in a millennia or two people by warping space/time as well.  But no time travel is not rearranging every atom back to a previous state.

The fact that light is constant no matter the observers speed lets us know time itself is malleable and I am willing to bet time exists as a long string of events that can be traveled within.
Sure, you can slow down, relative to other reference points, but time is always creeping forward, IMHO.

True time travel (going backwards) still does not seem feasible...

NightWolve

Quote from: esteban on 07/09/2015, 09:07 AMAlso, the idea that all history is generated at the moment of creation is so f*cking DETERMINISTIC that it completely removes free will. We are all predestined to follow a certain path...even our time-traveling would be accounted for, somehow, in this deterministic concept of history/future/present.  I say: bullshite.
And by far one of the dumbest things he has said here.

Quote from: EvilEvoIX on 07/09/2015, 09:23 AMI lost you at "Hawking is a hack", but to save TIME I view time as a dimension.  A strong enough gravity field does indeed slow down time to a crawl and this happens near a black hole.  Your view of time is that of it being nonexistent and only made up in our heads but it is indeed a diamension and I believe we can send particles back, maybe in a millennia or two people by warping space/time as well.  But no time travel is not rearranging every atom back to a previous state.

I can see that you are far beyond reasoning with, delusional, have been watching way too much SciFi movies and Star Trek as was the guy I was referring to originally that started this, so there ya go! ;)

QuoteBut no time travel is not rearranging every atom back to a previous state.
This in particular also again shows you are illogical, no other way to say it... You have zero proof that ANYTHING in the universe is recording every second (AKA "a universe tape recorder"), every moment of existence on earth, let alone waiting around to be discovered to allow one access to it to travel back to previous moments in time, etc. This started in the science fiction/fantasy department and at times with some abused concepts like relativity...

The universe, as we see it, is an infinite space with particles/atoms that build suns, planets, lifeforms, etc.  If I travel at the speed of light in any direction, I simply keep moving away from the starting point... THAT'S IT! I don't eventually find older or newer copies of the earth going back days, months, years... So no, there's no "sending particles back in time by firing them off in some direction..."

esteban's Matrix point is once again a feasible concept... A powerful computer running a VIRTUAL world for subjects that are connected to it! Something like that would need infinite memory, knowledge, and could record some of the past and even be able to reset events back to it as well, along with the subjects! 

I used the supernatural idea that MAYBE God could possibly be the universe's recorder, but that's a supernatural/religious view, as mortals we'd never know the true power of the first intelligent lifeform that the universe created, and the paradox of how something could've initiated the creation of the universe from nothing does not make sense, that is, how was the first atom built, did that come first, or an intelligent atom builder, etc. ? Technically, to me, nothing should exist cause how could the process of the first atom start to be built, then the second, etc. ?? Something had to build something else, there had to be a starting point, but how did that first something get built ? The age old philosophical question.

Back to reality though, I try to combat the time travel tin foil hat delusionists/propagandists which you are clearly one. Sorry, but black holes crush things according to known science... Slowing the movement of particles down, is just that, not time travel, and crushing them is not "time travel" either, it's oblivion... You really don't want to try to understand what's clearly being explained to you, and yeah, you just repeated various concepts you've thrown together and likely learned from Star Trek ("gravity field," "black hole," "space time warping", etc.) as far as I can see... Sad, but it was like I said originally, science fiction movies create believers in this who can't separate fact from fiction along with some "scientists" that have also fallen for it. The theory of relativity is getting abused here badly...

Sadler

Wow this thread took an interesting turn (seriously!). :D I'm not willing to discount anything as impossible and for better or worse I hail from a wildly optimistic Kurzweilian belief structure.

ON TOPIC: I caught up on some movies last weekend. I saw the original Hot Tub Time Machine which I thought was hilarious and also Jurassic World. Jurassic World I genuinely enjoyed! It wasn't as good as Park, but it was much better than the first two sequels.

SPOILERS BELOW

The "bad guy" in the movie was just stupid. I hate the generic unstable ex-military contractor asshole trope and I wish movies didn't stoop to this 3rd grade good vs evil, black and white bullshit. "Hey guys, I heard you invented a puppy petter! I WANT TO USE IT TO KILL TERRORISTS AND I'M WILLING TO KILL EVERYONE HERE TO MAKE THAT HAPPEN!" Uggg.

The main kids were sorta irritating too, but that's probably just because I'm getting older. Too Cool For School and Boy Genius seemed super generic.

Still though, good movie!

NecroPhile

Time travel exists, but you can only go forward.
Ultimate Forum Bully/Thief/Saboteur/Clone Warrior! BURN IN HELL NECROPHUCK!!!

NightWolve

Quote from: guest on 07/09/2015, 07:04 PM
Quote from: guest on 07/09/2015, 06:50 PMTime travel exists, but you can only go forward.
I hate agreeing with evo (even if only partially), but yeah.

travelling back in time is pure conjecture/theory at this point, whereas forward travel has been verified experimentally.
Wait, that's agreeing with me, the Demolition Man plot, or further back, the Buck Rogers plot: if your body could be frozen/unfrozen for the desired amount of time while existence runs its course, you're effectively traveling forward. Technically, it's more along the lines of "preserving you for a future time period," but the point is this is in the realm of possibilities if you solve the problem of surviving the freeze/unfreeze process which is fatal right now...

The idea of "traveling back in time" however is pure imagination, fiction, fantasy, Santa Claus level story telling, that's it... Great device for stories/movies, but yes, pure 100% fiction... There is no evidence of any powerful "universe recorder" of the past, much less a way to access it to change the world back to a previous time period, etc. It's kind of funny, you'd think if you explain clearly what the complexity involved with such a concept is that it would end debate, instead he responded with "But uh, black holes, uh gravity drives, uh uh warping the space time continuum, uh uh, etc."

Either you got a true believer lost in his imagination or he was trolling me and I took the bait, heh.

Digi.k

Funeral Parade of Roses.   1969 japanese movie shot in B&W and directed by Toshio Matsumoto.

1960's Japan gay subculture, Oedipal complex, drag queen rivalry all shot in  tokyo suburbs.

Full movie found here.

EvilEvoIX

Quote from: NightWolve on 07/09/2015, 10:57 AM
Quote from: esteban on 07/09/2015, 09:07 AMAlso, the idea that all history is generated at the moment of creation is so f*cking DETERMINISTIC that it completely removes free will. We are all predestined to follow a certain path...even our time-traveling would be accounted for, somehow, in this deterministic concept of history/future/present.  I say: bullshite.
And by far one of the dumbest things he has said here.

I can see that you are far beyond reasoning with, have been watching way too much SciFi movies and Star Trek as was the guy I was referring to originally, and are as much a hack as Hawking is, so there ya go! ;)

QuoteBut no time travel is not rearranging every atom back to a previous state.
This in particular also again shows you are illogical, no other way to say it... You have zero proof that ANYTHING in the universe is recording every second (AKA "a universe tape recorder"), every moment of existence on earth, let alone waiting around to be discovered to allow one access to it to travel back to previous moments in time, etc. This started in the science fiction/fantasy department and at times with some abused concepts like relativity...

The universe, as we see it, is an infinite space with particles/atoms that build suns, planets, lifeforms, etc.  If I travel at the speed of light in any direction, I simply keep moving away from the starting point... THAT'S IT! I don't eventually find older or newer copies of the earth going back days, months, years... So no, there's no "sending particles back in time by firing them off in some direction..."

esteban's Matrix point is once again a feasible concept... A powerful computer running a VIRTUAL world for subjects that are connected to it! Something like that would need infinite memory, knowledge, and could record some of the past and even be able to reset events back to it as well, along with the subjects! 

I used the supernatural idea that MAYBE God could possibly be the universe's recorder, but that's a supernatural/religious view, as mortals we'd never know the true power of the first intelligent lifeform that the universe created, and the paradox of how something could've initiated the creation of the universe from nothing does not make sense, that is, how was the first atom built, did that come first, or an intelligent atom builder, etc. ? Technically, to me, nothing should exist cause how could the process of the first atom start to be built, then the second, etc. ?? Something had to build something else, there had to be a starting point, but how did that first something get built ? The age old philosophical question.

Back to reality though, I try to combat the time travel tin foil hat delusionists/propagandists which you are clearly one. Sorry, but black holes crush things according to known science... Slowing the movement of particles down, is just that, not time travel, and crushing them is not "time travel" either, it's oblivion... You really don't want to try to understand what's clearly being explained to you, and yeah, you just repeated various concepts you've thrown together and likely learned from Star Trek ("gravity field," "black hole," "space time warping", etc.) as far as I can see... Sad, but it was like I said originally, science fiction movies create believers in this who can't separate fact from fiction along with some "scientists" that have also fallen for it. The theory of relativity is getting abused here badly...
Wow, you are taking this argument up like a political stance or what your favorite sports team is.  Lots of stinging barbs and angst but no real substance.  So passionate as to desperately try and disarm any of my posts as "Dumb" and whatever your idea is as the one and only thought on that matters.  Trouble is you dismissed WAY too many intelligent writings and even fail to understand time being relatively malleable.  You fail to understand Gravity's effect on time and the fact that time is simply another dimension in our universe and can be moved within albeit with far more energy than the first 3 dimensions I am sure you are familiar with.   

I believe that your biggest mistake was calling Professor Stephen Hawking a "hack" which really shows you hate the idea of time travel more than simply listening to someone infinitely smarter than you (and me) explaining in detail it's inner workings.  You really need to understand that time is wrapped up in our universe as much as if not more than matter itself.

Read  "A Brief History of Time", some great stuff there.  Traveling near the speed of light is possible and slows time down to almost nothing allowing you to travel to the future.  Traveling FTL is impossible for any objects that have mass but not so for mass-less objects or objects that are already traveling faster than light.  However a gravity drive powerful enough to move the Dark matter around it (a controlled singularity if you will) to literally manipulate space time.  Trouble is you can only go back in time to when the machine was created, but that still allows you to go back in time.  Time is essentially stopped within a singularity and even forces light into one direction no matter which way it is turned as all directions point into that singularity.

Your biggest hang up is that you feel time travel is rearranging atoms to what they were before. That is not time travel in the least as it does nothing to the 4th dimension.  You are literally moving along the 4th dimension in time travel.  You have to understand that when space was created, so was time, probably why it's called Space-Time, this is nothing new or radical.  Some theories dictate that ALL time was created in that moment as well.  Delve even deeper and you reach into M theory and infinite possibilities and why our universe is expanding faster than light, maybe being manipulated by other universes gravity.  Other notions like that there is nothing constant in this universe, except for light itself.  You don't you find it strange that the universe has to keep that constant over TIME?  If time was constant you might have an argument.  From lights point of view there is no time, space, no mass, and everything is instant.  Space and time are not fixed, but varied by the observer.  Time can be bent.  You simply ignored that Einstein's equations allow for you to travel and arrive before you left, you know, time travel.  It involves a TON of energy, far beyond what we can harness at the moment, but one day, when we can warp Space time, you have in effect created a FTL travel method and time travel itself. 

Your Demolition Man "Theory" is not a theory as much as, well, a frozen TV dinner found 100 years after being frozen and is embarrassing that you keep mentioning this as time travel.  You might as well call rocks time travelers.  Being still for a long time while cold is not time travel.  You are simply freezing a body and then bringing it back to life later in time, moving forward second by second in real time observed by us on earth.  You really need to understand the 4th dimension more before you comment on time travel siting Stallone movies as evidence.

Another glaring omission on your part is whether the Universe is infinite or not?  If it is, there is (sadly) a 100% chance that there is another version of you on an identical planet like ours arguing with a guy just like me over the same details, but you have on a slightly different shirt and gravity is 10% weaker.  The universe has every single possible history, each with its own probability of happening. 

Last but not least I'll take Einstein's equations and Hawking's interpretations of them over your musings any day.  IDK how you could even argue that but you think a freezer is a time machine so maybe it is you who is trolling me.  And if so, great job.  Nothing is impossible.

Quote from: guest on 07/09/2015, 07:04 PM
Quote from: guest on 07/09/2015, 06:50 PMTime travel exists, but you can only go forward.
I hate agreeing with evo (even if only partially), but yeah.

travelling back in time is pure conjecture/theory at this point, whereas forward travel has been verified experimentally.
You don't have to hate it.  Right is right regardless of the source or ones feelings.  As stated before, Einsteins equations allow for traveling back in time with a LOT of energy (enough to Warp Space & Time) but that is the energy of a star; not insurmountable.  That sounds like a ton but fast forward 1000 years and they level of energy production may be ordinary especially with Quantum Mechanics and the ability to "Borrow" energy and then give it back.
IMGIMGIMG

NightWolve

Holy shit, this guy really is tin-foil hat level crazy and far more than I thought!

Quote from: EvilEmoXYour Demolition Man "Theory" is not a theory as much as, well, a frozen TV dinner found 100 years after being frozen and is embarrassing that you keep mentioning this as time travel.
Your whole raving gobbledygook lunatic of a post is what's embarrassing! Seriously! The freeze/unfreeze concept is something that is actually science, is something that one day might be possible, because the power to wield control over the atoms of a human body (and NOT the whole earth!) is FEASIBLE and reflects SOUND SCIENCE, not delusion, imagination, fantasy, etc., that is, watching too much Star Trek! If you could safely be frozen and unfrozen for whatever time you wanted, that in effect achieves forward time travel. Your atoms stay the same, while the atoms of the world continue to change! Read what is actually being said to you, moron!

The WHOLE point of that concept is to explain what is actually possible and what IS NOT possible! To separate fact from fiction, science from delusion, possible from the IMPOSSIBLE! You have ZERO evidence that some powerful force records every moment that occurs on this earth! No, you will never be able to "go back in time" to say kill Hitler, save the Jews and prevent WWII. Anybody who seriously believes that might one day be possible is a complete f--king moron and I have no trouble telling them that in the slightest bit! Delusions like yours must not be entertained even for one f--king second!

Anyway, good luck trying to sell your bullshit with somebody else, ya crazy spaceman!!

BigusSchmuck

I watched the 1960's Doctor Who movies, does that mean I'm crazy? lol

NightWolve

I love Science Fiction movies (Terminator) and shows (Dr. Who) based on time travel, enjoying them doesn't make you crazy anymore than telling Santa Claus stories to kids and letting them enjoy that for a time does, but believing that time travel could one day be possible, throwing gobbledygook together to act like you know what the f--k you're even talking about ("But, but, you forgot the 4th dimension!!!! I win!!!"), yes, that makes you crazy, and we're talking bat-shit level crazy with this guy!

Look at the effort he went to throw together work from Einstien and this Hawking to try to make a convincing case! And then look at how he dismisses the only possible thing we could ever accomplish, the freeze/unfreeze concept, etc. I even said that's not technically the concept of time travel as far as a time machine that could move you forwards, backwards, etc. but that is a f--king fictional fantasy concept, the nutter actually has found a way to convince himself and really believe it all and that's pretty scary if you ask me!!!

Quote from: guest on 07/14/2015, 12:31 AMnote that jo crystals are integral to time travel.

Genuine offer:
first person to PM me with a request for jo crystal will get a jo crystal. I purchased them in bulk and have sent them to 2 forumites so far. 3, once i send toymachine his package.

guaranteed to arrive by the year 2136... but it will get there.
Best post on PCEFX that I've seen in months! ROFLMAO!!!

EvilEvoIX

Freezing isn't a concept, meaning an abstract idea.  You can indeed freeze s person and let them sit for centuries.  We still need the technology to reanimate a frozen body.  None of this has ANYTHING to do with time travel.  No idea why you brought it up again.

Your issue is that you are incapable of thinking 4th diamensionally.  That's OK a lot of mouth breathers aren't.  You keep thinking time travel happens within the first three diamensions (there are a lot more than 3 BTW) and you need to rearrange atoms to a pervious state.  That is not the case.  You simply need to understand time as a diamension and it is extremely elastic.

Again, unarguable, Einstein's equations show that time travel, TO THE PAST, is possible.  You keep glossing over the fact that the greatest genius of anytime already did the leg work on this one.  You've already conceded that time slows down and even stops.  How do you keep ignoring these geniuses equations.  Just because you do not understand something doesn't make it false.  You are desperate and panicing sir.  Calm down.

When the universe was "created"  so was all time.  Time is woven into space, it's already been proven with time dilation experiments and has to be taken into account for gps Satellites as time for the satellites is different than here on earth.

But yeah Einstein is wrong, you are correct.  I've already begun working on my freezer as a time machine.

IMGIMGIMG

esteban

I have a dozen JO Crystals and they are fully charged at all times. Still, I am lacking something.

If only I could travel back in time and have a young Einstein join me for a recharging session.

MAYBE I WILL.

I have seen photos of Einstein where the unmistakable outline of a JO Crystal can be  seen—as if it were on a necklace underneath his clothes.

EvilEvoIX

Quote from: esteban on 07/14/2015, 08:26 AMI have a dozen JO Crystals and they are fully charged at all times. Still, I am lacking something.

If only I could travel back in time and have a young Einstein join me for a recharging session.

MAYBE I WILL.

I have seen photos of Einstein where the unmistakable outline of a JO Crystal can be  seen—as if it were on a necklace underneath his clothes.
You could oy go back to when the machine was invented.  So sadly this won't be possible, at least not yet.
IMGIMGIMG

NecroPhile

Quote from: BigusSchmuck on 07/14/2015, 12:17 AMI watched the 1960's Doctor Who movies, does that mean I'm crazy? lol
Yes.  It was a TV show, you wacko.

BigusSchmuck

Quote from: guest on 07/14/2015, 12:04 PM
Quote from: BigusSchmuck on 07/14/2015, 12:17 AMI watched the 1960's Doctor Who movies, does that mean I'm crazy? lol
Yes.  It was a TV show, you wacko.
Still is. :) Those movies, lets say are very unique. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dr_Who_%28Dalek_films%29
It's a shame we didn't see more of Peter Cushing as the Doctor.

xcrement5x

I just Jurassic World this weekend, it was pretty awesome.

NecroPhile

Quote from: BigusSchmuck on 07/14/2015, 12:12 PMStill is. :) Those movies, lets say are very unique. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dr_Who_%28Dalek_films%29
Well dip me in shit.  I've not heard of those before (or have forgotten about 'em in my old age senility), but I still say you're crazy.  :mrgreen:

esteban

Quote from: guest on 07/14/2015, 12:47 PM
Quote from: BigusSchmuck on 07/14/2015, 12:12 PMStill is. :) Those movies, lets say are very unique. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dr_Who_%28Dalek_films%29
Well dip me in shit.  I've not heard of those before (or have forgotten about 'em in my old age senility), but I still say you're crazy.  :mrgreen:
In the 80's, my local video stores ONLY had those two Dalek films, never the TV show. Luckily, PBS played near every season...but you would have to wait a few years as it cycled through the doctors.

:)

NightWolve

Quote from: EvilEvoIX on 07/14/2015, 08:16 AMFreezing isn't a concept, meaning an abstract idea.  You can indeed freeze s person and let them sit for centuries.  We still need the technology to reanimate a frozen body.  None of this has ANYTHING to do with time travel.
There's no such thing as "time travel" per se and yet you're desperately trying to prove exactly what it is or isn't. It's a fictional concept to begin with. You will never be able to "go back in time" and say kill Hitler, save the Jews and prevent WWII nor will you ever be able to "leap forward into the future" to see another copy of the world, yourself, and learn what would happen... You could only ever attempt to "preserve" yourself for the latter. That's it! In other words, no "time machine" as defined as a backward/forward traveling device can ever be built. Sorry to break the news to ya, but you're welcome to keep that imagination of yours still going!

It's funny how you pulled so many fictional concepts from TV shows and movies, but yet you tried to discredit cryonic/cryogenic suspension because, as you said, "it came from a Stallone movie." You have pulled things from Star Trek, Twilight Zone, The Outer Limits, the "Another Earth" movie and a similar TV movie where a portal opens up between our duplicate earth, and our exact copies come to our earth, steal our place, throw us back to their earth because it sucked and was dying, etc. But yeah, cryonic/cryogenic suspension is the one thing that was so-so embarrassing in this pathetic exchange of yours and your desperate attempt to prove the impossible by slapping together gobbledygook!

One more thing to disprove your last point. You said, "None of this has ANYTHING to do with time travel." On the contrary, the idea of a human body on a spaceship that is traveling at the speed of light, "slowing down," as in, 20 less heart beats versus if it was on the earth, 20 less breaths, slower chemical cellular processes, etc. in other words, the idea that the human body would age less is just a form of "preserving" while cryonic/cryogenic suspension is 100% preservation in this situation! Being affected by speed-of-light travel where your body processes are slowing down and so you're aging slower is merely a small form of preservation... I'm not sure a fragile human body survives the process at that speed, but whatever, this cannot be tested at present... I'm not gonna lose sleep over the idea, you're welcome to however.

QuoteAnother glaring omission on your part is whether the Universe is infinite or not? If it is, there is (sadly) a 100% chance that there is another version of you on an identical planet like ours arguing with a guy just like me over the same details, but you have on a slightly different shirt and gravity is 10% weaker.
The universe only makes sense as an infinite space. But, the idea that you would claim a 100% statistical probability that there's another copy of the earth, and another copy of us, shows how you jump from sound science to delusional fantasies. BTW, your "multiverse" "theory" hails from a fine Jason Statham/Jet Li movie called "The One" where there are 125 multiverses and 125 copies of Jet Li. Check it out, it was made for someone like you! Anyway, setting up "boundaries" that supposedly would somehow separate an infinite space again shows your propensity for belief in imaginative concepts.

OK, back to reality. So an infinitely sized universe has possibilities based on what we know. It knows how to construct suns, orbiting planets around those suns and to seed intelligent life on an appropriately distanced planet to support it. If intelligent life could happen here on earth, it could have happened on another solar system. It's in the realm of the possible! You could ONLY ever be logically agnostic on this! You could never be a confident atheist and say no, I'm sure there's no intelligent life anywhere else in the universe, or a confident theist and say that yes, I'm sure there is intelligent life somewhere out there. We could keep traveling the universe and never find another planet with intelligent life, or we could find hundreds of them, you don't know... But to then go as far as claiming there's a 100% statistical probability of an exact copy of earth, and my exact DNA duplicate twin is purely absurd and again shows you veering off into unprovable fantasy land.

Until you get on your magical time-speed-of-light-traveling spaceship, you might want to stop using a percentage rate of 100% when speaking... Just FYI, spaceman! Err on the side of keeping it real!

QuoteNo idea why you brought it up again.
That's because you and your "time travel" coreligionists are fanatical, illogical and can't be reasoned with. One is scientifically possible, one is not, that's why.

QuoteYour issue is that you are incapable of thinking 4th diamensionally.  That's OK a lot of mouth breathers aren't.
Your issue is that you're stubborn, delusional, etc. and that's OK, a lot of people are.

QuoteAgain, unarguable, Einstein's equations show that time travel, TO THE PAST, is possible.  You keep glossing over the fact that the greatest genius of anytime already did the leg work on this one.  You've already conceded that time slows down and even stops.
Yeah, they show that MATHEMATICALLY and that time counting would appear to run backwards. That's it. And breaking a clock, seeing it tick less, slow down, etc. because something else (speed, gravity, radiation, whatever) is having an effect on it is not "time travel," stopping or slowing "time" - our existence continues on just fine. Time is not a destination that can be "traveled" to, it's counting...

QuoteJust because you do not understand something doesn't make it false.  You are desperate and panicing sir.  Calm down.
Panicked or desperate about what ?? No, I'm seriously laughing my ass off at the embarrassing joke that is you. Now I understand why Professor just put you on ignore, you're not worth it! Heh.

QuoteWhen the universe was "created"  so was all time.  Time is woven into space, it's already been proven with time dilation experiments and has to be taken into account for gps Satellites as time for the satellites is different than here on earth.
Time is a counting concept, a man-made convention. That's it. And moving clocks slowing down due to high speeds are just that, clocks that can't keep an accurate count matching that of a clock on earth because motion, gravity, whatever affects its abilities. Why do nutters take all of this and claim "time travel" could one day be possible because of it ?

What you're doing, as you've done plenty of times, is take a sound scientific principle, in this case time dilation, and use it to back up your other fantasies.

Quote from: EvilEvoIX on 07/14/2015, 08:59 AMYou could oy go back to when the machine was invented.  So sadly this won't be possible, at least not yet.
Ah yes, but ONE DAY, ONE DAY! Don't doubt it!

NightWolve

Referral Denied

You don't have permission to access "http://ia.media-imdb.com/images/M/MV5BMTU0MzkzNzg0Nl5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwNzUwNzQ2Mg@@._V1_SX214_AL_.jpg" on this server.

Reference #24.ce600317.1436896628.520c2f0

Internet Fail, nully. Fix please.

NightWolve

Ah, Time Traveler's Wife, a pretty good movie! Saw that last year I think.