RIP to BT Garner of MindRec.com... He passed away early 2023 from health problems. BT was one of the top PCE homebrew developers and founder of the OG Turbo List, then PCECP.com. Condolences to family and friends.
IMG
IMG
Main Menu

pcengine-fx.com Site Re-design - UPDATED 3/9/15 (see reply 187)

Started by PCEngineFX, 08/31/2014, 11:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BlueBMW

The only reason I suggested a game database like pcedaisakusen is so we can have one that is updated with things like the new homebrews, ldrom games etc.  If pcedaisakusen were updated I wouldnt even suggest such but it hasnt been updated in a while.

I kind of like how home of the underdogs did it for old pc games... Theyd have reviews screenshots and other pertinent info for each game in a nice searchable clean database.
[Sun 23:29] <Tatsujin> we have hard off, book off, house off, sports off, baby off, clothes off, jerk off, piss off etc

PCEngineFX

Taking a break from making game hubs (which none are really completely done yet - still working out final page format details), I decided to start work on the hardware page for the TurboGrafx-16, which included a bath:
IMG

Then the photo shoot:
IMG

And finally after some Photoshop touchup, the final product (looks WAY better than this screenshot taken with my phone!):
IMG
// Aaron Nanto | The Ultimate Resource for NEC Console Information!
Papa PCEFX 1997-2020 [Retired]
IMG
IMG

esteban

Holy Crêpe!

Why do I feel dirty looking at TG-16 in a sudsy bath?
IMGIMG IMG  |  IMG  |  IMG IMG

NightWolve

Looks like Steve's "repair" methods are catching on. ;)

cjameslv

Quote from: Pcenginefx on 10/20/2014, 02:36 AMTaking a break from making game hubs (which none are really completely done yet - still working out final page format details), I decided to start work on the hardware page for the TurboGrafx-16, which included a bath:
IMG

Then the photo shoot:
IMG

And finally after some Photoshop touchup, the final product (looks WAY better than this screenshot taken with my phone!):
IMG
NSFW! I feel like i shoulda put my cc number in to view this.

PCEngineFX

LOL you guys............. the more you click on banners, the more "console bath pron" you'll get! :P

Continuing with the TG-16 hardware page work, it has really taken a lot of time thinking of how NEC/TTi would have marketed the Turbo if they had a website like the one I'm building.  I'm avoiding a few things such as any direct references or comparison to other consoles as well as carefully wording the marketing text to be as "timeless" as possible without diving too much into the 80's/90's cheese.

A little bonus addition that I sprinkled throughout the site which I had a LONG time ago are animated sprite GIFs....got big Bonk walking on the site now:

IMG
IMG
IMG

esteban

PCEngineFX

Continuing work on the TurboGrafx-16 hardware "marketing" page....taking new hardware shots of everything for the page layout....HuCards are next:

IMG
IMG
IMG

esteban

I am continually reminded about how unproductive I have been whilst others have been busy.

DAMN!

We all benefit from this, but damn, now I want all of my HuCARD's on glowing pedestals.

Glowing pedestals.

PCEngineFX

I still have my photography studio setup for shooting Hu's, so I'll make you guys a special "glowing pedestals" wallpaper tonight as a bonus :)
IMG
IMG

NecroPhile

Glowing pedestal for glow-in-the-dark Atlantean huey?
Ultimate Forum Bully/Thief/Saboteur/Clone Warrior! BURN IN HELL NECROPHUCK!!!

PCEngineFX

Quote from: guest on 10/23/2014, 04:11 PMGlowing pedestal for glow-in-the-dark Atlantean huey?
If I only had Atlantean.....
IMG
IMG

MrFulci

"Damnit, Beavis, put that away. You're not supposed to have your _____ out when you're cooking".

esteban

Quote from: Pcenginefx on 10/23/2014, 04:09 PMI still have my photography studio setup for shooting Hu's, so I'll make you guys a special "glowing pedestals" wallpaper tonight as a bonus :)
L'awesome.

Quote from: MrFulci on 10/23/2014, 05:30 PMAtlantean glows?
Glows and grows.

MrFulci

Quote from: MrFulci on 10/23/2014, 05:30 PMAtlantean glows?
Glows and grows.[/quote]
I noticed mine was shedding 3d printed plastic, but never tried to put it under black light, or charge it for no-light!'
"Damnit, Beavis, put that away. You're not supposed to have your _____ out when you're cooking".

FiftyQuid

This really does have me excited.  The photos are looking fantastic!
I'm busy playing pinball, but I still drop by to visit.

PCEngineFX

As promised.

IMG

Download the full 1080p (and other sizes here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/pcenginefx/14993342543/sizes/c/

LMK if anyone would like it larger than 1920x1080.  This image is straight out of my camera with no Photoshop alteration (except for a crop and addition of the text!)
IMG
IMG

esteban

Quote from: Pcenginefx on 10/24/2014, 01:40 AMAs promised.

IMG

Download the full 1080p (and other sizes here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/pcenginefx/14993342543/sizes/c/

LMK if anyone would like it larger than 1920x1080.  This image is straight out of my camera with no Photoshop alteration (except for a crop and addition of the text!)
Gorgeous.

Gentlegamer

What ever the future forum looks like, it needs to have far fewer sub-forums.
IMG

esteban

Quote from: Gentlegamer on 10/26/2014, 04:15 PMWhat ever the future forum looks like, it needs to have far fewer sub-forums.
Not to nitpick, but your comment belongs in the "STFU subforum" (it's a sub-subforum of Fighting Street).

Gentlegamer

By the way, the new mega-site sounds awesome and I can't wait to see it... but I have to say I like that the current site is itself literally "retro" in design. Seems fitting.

P.S. @esteban: no u stfu
IMG

PCEngineFX

Quote from: Gentlegamer on 10/26/2014, 10:44 PMBy the way, the new mega-site sounds awesome and I can't wait to see it... but I have to say I like that the current site is itself literally "retro" in design. Seems fitting.

P.S. @esteban: no u stfu
Hi Gentlegamer - what forum sections would you like to see go away?  While I highly doubt that I'll be getting rid of any sections, I do want to hear why you think it should be paired down.

And yes, I agree that the current site fits the retro style of the content covered, but it is so terribly outdated (in function and expandability) that I have no choice but to start from scratch with the design.
IMG
IMG

Gentlegamer

Quote from: Pcenginefx on 10/27/2014, 12:09 AMHi Gentlegamer - what forum sections would you like to see go away?  While I highly doubt that I'll be getting rid of any sections, I do want to hear why you think it should be paired down.
It's not so much getting rid of sections, i.e. their subject matter, but reducing the overall number of sub forums by making the remaining wider in scope, generally conforming to the current groupings. As it is, it's hard to find topics without constantly checking in each of the many sub forums. I've recently tried using the "recent posts" search, but it's limited.

If I were making sub forums, I'd probably go something like

NEC Consoles (All) - gaming, collecting, and technical discussion for all NEC systems of all regions.
Homebrew - development
Off-topic - everything else
Marketplace - trading with the pcefx.com community, all items, with user feedback system like itrader
Site Feedback - announcements, site news, complaining and whining
IMG

Joe Redifer

Ha! We suggested something like that before but on a more basic level. Just merging the TG-16 and PCE forums. All of the mods agreed. The community overwhelmingly vetoed the idea. One does not mix TG-16 and PCE. It is unacceptable. Better to have 100's of subforums.

PCEngineFX

Personally, it doesn't make any sense to me to merge major sections such as PCE w/TG-16 because they are two different markets with vastly different game libraries.  Having them separate saves you the initial step of weeding through a huge single forum mixed in with topics unrelated to the region.

I guess I don't understand why anyone would want everything mixed into only a few forums when they are already separated out for you.....?
IMG
IMG

Joe Redifer

Less clutter. Also, most TurboGrafx games also exist on the PC Engine. Only a few don't.

Gentlegamer

Quote from: Pcenginefx on 10/28/2014, 01:12 PMPersonally, it doesn't make any sense to me to merge major sections such as PCE w/TG-16 because they are two different markets with vastly different game libraries.  Having them separate saves you the initial step of weeding through a huge single forum mixed in with topics unrelated to the region.

I guess I don't understand why anyone would want everything mixed into only a few forums when they are already separated out for you.....?
It makes it easier to come across topics that pique your interest. I only have a TG-16, so I only visited that forum, and missed out on the education I could have gained going to the PCE forum. When you have more broad forums, more broad range topics, you can get higher participation and interest. Having to "check in" numerous sub forums to come across conversations and follow them is tedious, especially when there is no "subscribe thread" function.
IMG

NecroPhile

I read everything through 'show unread posts', so it doesn't really matter what sub-forum anything is posted under, but I don't see much purpose in segregating the TG-16 from the PCE.  If we're going to discuss _____, does it really matter which region?

Vecanti

I'd just merge the discussion topics really, but keep the sales topics seperate. I would think usually people are looking for region specific hardware so keeping that seperate might be convenient,  but as far as discussion I don't think people are looking to only "talk" about one system, it's more general NEC console discussions.

PCEngineFX

Got sidetracked past few nights with this new project:

IMG
IMG
IMG

PCEngineFX

Quote from: guest on 10/30/2014, 01:46 AMDo tell!

Are you printing DoxPhile yard signs? :lol:
You still need to get me those man! :P

But no, guess again.....
IMG
IMG

Vecanti

esteban

Quote from: Pcenginefx on 10/30/2014, 01:50 AM
Quote from: guest on 10/30/2014, 01:46 AMDo tell!

Are you printing DoxPhile yard signs? :lol:
You still need to get me those man! :P

But no, guess again.....
A plexiglass replica of Timeball. Awesome. IMG

Psycho Punch

A replica of a US Mark II Patrol Boat for Rivers.

Hit to Engines - ONLY PRACTICE
This Toxic Turbo Troll & Clone Warrior calls himself "Burning Fight!!" on Neo-Geo.com
For a good time, reach out to: aleffrenan94@gmail.com or punchballmariobros@gmail.com
Like DildoKobold, dildos are provided free of charge, no need to bring your own! :lol:
He also ran scripts to steal/clone this forum which blew up the error logs!
I had to delete THOUSANDS of error log entries cause of this nutcase!
how_to_spell_ys_sign_origin_ver.webp

cjameslv

Quote from: Pcenginefx on 10/30/2014, 01:30 AMGot sidetracked past few nights with this new project:

IMG
Pretty awesome! What model printer is that?

PCEngineFX

I guess I have to spell it out for you guys....SIGH! :P

It's a 3D printed HuCard case.  I just started 3D modeling one as I was getting tired of waiting for other people to make/release one.

So if you've not seen my printer, here it is:
IMG
IMG

esteban

PCEngineFX

If you'd like to follow the progress on my 3D printed HuCard cases, I've created a thread for it here: https://www.pcengine-fx.com/forums/index.php?topic=17972.0

I'm leaving this thread for PCENGINEFX remake news only.
IMG
IMG

FiftyQuid

Quote from: Pcenginefx on 11/03/2014, 12:52 AMIf you'd like to follow the progress on my 3D printed HuCard cases, I've created a thread for it here: https://www.pcengine-fx.com/forums/index.php?topic=17592.0

This link just brings me back to this thread.  Me thinks there's been a cut n' paste error.  :-k
I'm busy playing pinball, but I still drop by to visit.

jlued686

Hey Aaron, I just wanna say that it's great to have you back and engaged in the site. I love the PC Engine/PC-FX videos you used to do, so I'm excited to see what you've got in store for us.

PCEngineFX

Quote from: FiftyQuid on 11/03/2014, 10:39 PM
Quote from: Pcenginefx on 11/03/2014, 12:52 AMIf you'd like to follow the progress on my 3D printed HuCard cases, I've created a thread for it here: https://www.pcengine-fx.com/forums/index.php?topic=17592.0

This link just brings me back to this thread.  Me thinks there's been a cut n' paste error.  :-k
Fixed - thanks!

Quote from: guest on 11/03/2014, 11:09 PMHey Aaron, I just wanna say that it's great to have you back and engaged in the site. I love the PC Engine/PC-FX videos you used to do, so I'm excited to see what you've got in store for us.
It's nice to be back (at least in a small way).  I got a lot of good stuff in store - just going to take some time to put it all together.

With that being said, I am currently splitting my evenings working on the 3D printed HuCard case and scanning in covers for all of the US titles.  I'm also utilizing this time to properly inventory what NEC games/hardware I own which in turn will tell me what I need to outsource (for photos and/or media).
IMG
IMG

PCEngineFX

I had previously mentioned that I'm re-capturing all media (screenshots & video) to give you guys the best quality possible...well, I'm ready to show it off now.

Presenting Gate of Thunder (stage 1) in YouTube 60FPS.  To watch in 60FPS, you MUST:

1. Click on the video link and watch directly from YouTube (60fps does not work in embedded YT videos...yet)
2. View the video using Chrome (for now) to change quality setting to 720p/60.

This will also be the official YouTube channel for all videos related to the new PCENGINEFX remake site.  Enjoy.

IMG
IMG

esteban

jlued686

Looks and sounds amazing! Still my favorite shoot-em-up on the system.

PCEngineFX

Quote from: guest on 11/05/2014, 10:35 AMbeautiful... 60FPS really makes a difference!  How are you capturing the vid?  Emulator or capture card/dongle/etc... w/ real hardware?
I'd love to capture from real hardware (I just had my TurboDuo modded for component output) but unfortunately almost nothing supports capturing component @ 240p resolution, so I had to go the emulator route.  I turned off all that emulator smoothing crap and kept the raw sprite look and feel intact.  The fact that YouTube recently turned on 60fps was just an added bonus.

If anything, my video process method will not only show off the system's amazing animation, colors and sprites, but will also be "future-proofed" in a 720p/1080p video file.
IMG
IMG

PCEngineFX

I discovered a glitch in the Gate of Thunder gameplay video (leaving it up for now), but I've fixed it for the rest of the videos (I also upped the maximum resolution to 1080p).  Remember to watch these using Chrome on YouTube's site to get the 720p/60 & 1080p/60 playback option.

Gate of Thunder (Intro)
Lords of Thunder (Intro)
Dungeon Explorer II (Intro)
IMG
IMG

Joe Redifer

Is the glitch you were talking about that occasional stutter in the framerate? I hope Youtube improves this because if anyone watches in any other browser or at any other resolution or embeds it only half of the shield will appear, etc.

PCEngineFX

Quote from: Joe Redifer on 11/06/2014, 03:36 AMIs the glitch you were talking about that occasional stutter in the framerate? I hope Youtube improves this because if anyone watches in any other browser or at any other resolution or embeds it only half of the shield will appear, etc.
So the shield issue I would expect to happen at 30fps playback due to the frequency of the shield flicker....so at least to me I'd not really consider that to be a bug but the cost of viewing 60fps @ 30fps.  Since YT just recently rolled out 60fps playback, I'm sure they will make it available on other browsers/devices soon (I hope...)

The bug I was talking about you can see at 3:01.  Watch the mothership as it moves away and it will "pop" back for a frame or so.  60fps is really tricky to get right as it took me all last night of recording/encoding/uploading to fix the issue.
IMG
IMG

Joe Redifer

Here's my first try at 60fps using real hardwarez:
Be sure to watch it in 30fps. This is how the majority of people would be seeing it. Even the stars scroll very jerkily (compared to a proper 30fps video). That's why I'll wait on 60fps until everything everywhere can view it fine.

NecroPhile

Quote from: Joe Rediferfuck this game is awesome!
Finished that for ya.