RIP to BT Garner of MindRec.com... He passed away early 2023 from health problems. BT was one of the top PCE homebrew developers and founder of the OG Turbo List, then PCECP.com. Condolences to family and friends.
IMG
IMG
Main Menu

Analogue NT/Super NT now with more Turrican 2

Started by Medic_wheat, 01/30/2015, 05:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Arkhan Asylum

A coworker has one.  I held it.  It seemed nice.  Saw the video quality.  Not worth the price if you already have an NES of some sort.

I still prefer my Famicom + AV mod.   It's cheaper.

I also don't approve of the sale of Famicom controllers that I assume are gutted from real machines.  What happens to those machines?

This "max-level forum psycho" (:lol:) destroyed TWO PC Engine groups in rage: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook "Because Chris 'Shadowland' Runyon!," then the other by Aaron Nanto "Because Le NightWolve!" Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together... Both times he blamed the Aarons in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged, destructive, toxic turbo troll gang!

CrackTiger

I assumed that they were making use of some of the millions of unwanted broken NES units floating around.
Justin the Not-So-Cheery Black/Hack/CrackTiger helped Joshua Jackass, Andrew/Arkhan Dildovich and the DildoPhiles destroy 2 PC Engine groups: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook, then the other by Aaron Nanto!!! Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together! Both times he blamed the Aarons and their staff in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged/destructive/doxxing toxic turbo troll gang which he covers up for under the "community" euphemism!

Opethian

he robbed the CPU and PPU from the system so salvage whats left right?
IMG

Medic_wheat

Quote from: Opethian on 09/01/2015, 09:27 PMhe robbed the CPU and PPU from the system so salvage whats left right?
Not sure about your phrasing but yes?

In that he took hundreds of not a few thousand (no idea on production numbers) of broken systems (all of them famicoms) and removed the PPU and CPU and mounted them on (custome) PCB boards for the new housing used in his duo Famicom/NES system.

With the optional daughter board that Krevious made to give it HDMI out put capability for modern TVs. still reruns the ability for AV out.

Apart from all of that I couldn't comment on the reuse of Famicom controllers. Considering you can still buy new old stock of Famicom controlors meant to be connected directly to the back of a Famicom. I picked up a controlors two with mic for like $15 as few old stock from a Japan Video Game eBay seller. With shipping it came out to $26. Do it is possible they bought some controlors in bulk. Or repurposed the controlors to systems that were junked for use with a NES system.

The whole use of PPUs and CPUs is a point of contemptible for some. Personally I don't see an issues.

What you are telling me any one individual or group of people are going to spend the time money and resources to buy broken systems in bulk just to rebuild and refurbish them at cost to preserve the original system only to resell it to other people and break even? 

No would be Never happen. So repurposing as much of these old systems to allow them to play the original games on more modern TV systems pressuring as much as possible for your everyday not tech none multi part upscakmg guy/gal this is better then expected.

Sure you cons get comparable results with other cheape options or even emulation but for some this is a hybrid system that meets their needs.

For many the price is outside what they can or willing to spend. Some the sum of its parts is viewed as waste full and not needed. Redundant even.

For the smaller group that want it and have bought it. Well bully for them.

Sure some think owning it is for idiots with to much money other that it is a status symbol. And you bet your ass for some who bought one of these that's exactly what it is. But not for all.

Hell in every aspect of gaming retro gaming. Collection what ever your world view of who and what you are being it comics or tooth brushes there will always be those who get interested in your hobby for what you view as "the wrong reasons".

I say at the end of the day. If there is something related to your hobby that interest you excited you Kees you motivated to engaged in your hobby then that means there are still other people with that same passion and drive to try and find new ways to add to that hobby.

NecroPhile

That's almost regalsin quality writing.  Bravo.
Ultimate Forum Bully/Thief/Saboteur/Clone Warrior! BURN IN HELL NECROPHUCK!!!

esteban

Quote from: guest on 09/02/2015, 10:51 AMThat's almost regalsin quality writing.  Bravo.
Yes.

He is to be commended for staying focused on one topic, though, so I appreciate that.
IMGIMG IMG  |  IMG  |  IMG IMG

jtucci31

So I tried to reread through some of this old thread, but I can only take so much medic_wheat grammar-less posts.

Has anyone seen the Super Famicom/SNES NT that he's doing now? This one looks way more affordable (to a degree) at $190 with some cool looking variants. From what I understand, I think the FGPA concept is pretty cool considering what this aims to do, which is to get you to play old carts on an hdtv with no lag and perfect quality intact. I would certainly say this is an interesting and cool concept that isn't nearly as high-roller as the NES one he did that was half a grand.

https://www.analogue.co/pages/super-nt/

Though, I'm also bumping this thread because I don't really know the reasoning behind the hate for kevtris here. Wasn't this the same guy that also pretty much debunked the Retro VGS with his FGPA board? On the Giant Bombast at around 1:16:50 ish they talk about the potential for there to be a PC Engine one of these things, and they talk about kevtris' reluctance (and almost flat out disdain) for this community as a reason for him to never do one for the PC Engine. (Link to podcast https://www.giantbomb.com/podcasts/) Did this have anything to do with previous members who have since quit? Current flack? Are you guys that opposed to the idea of something like this for the PC Engine?

I'm mainly just really curious and really not trying to stoke any fire here. I wasn't totally keeping track of threads involving this stuff because I wasn't totally interested at the time, and also just lacked knowledge on the subject.

NecroPhile

I don't think many here hate kevtris; it's the other way around, where he hates us because of this thread.

But whatevs.  If he wants to hate the entire forum because a whopping two or three people bitched at length and a handful more complained in passing that it's too expensive (who's gonna seriously argue that it's cheap?) while the vast majority of the active members had no opinion or were supportive, then fuck him.

Medic_wheat

I never got the impression people here disliked Kev.

More so the majority disliked the company Analouge for the price point of the Nt.

That and I believe the delays for the first batch of systems.

I feel with the cheaper price point of the Super Nt Analouge as a company will end up with a larger consumer base.

I also suspect Kev will sent out an unofficial patch to allow the Super Nt to play many other 16-Bit systems similar to the Nt Mini.

sirhcman

Medic_wheat

Quote from: guest on 10/19/2017, 12:48 PMWhen is the Zimba 3000 coming out?
I have a feeling Kev is just going to lease out the various FPG's to Analouge or similar and abandon the Zimba

sirhcman

Quote from: Medic_wheat on 10/19/2017, 01:15 PM
Quote from: guest on 10/19/2017, 12:48 PMWhen is the Zimba 3000 coming out?
I have a feeling Kev is just going to lease out the various FPG's to Analouge or similar and abandon the Zimba
:( I was hoping that wouldn't be the case but if it gets products to the market faster then I guess it is a good thing

Arkhan Asylum

That thread is always a good time.

We all got to make fun of Smoke Monster, me and DK agreed on something, there was a picture of an asian lady at one point.   It was one of those rare times everyone basically kind of agreed on something.

Some people take a communities price suggestions into consideration when releasing a thing.

other people ... disregard it, get mad, let their friends make it worse, and then pound sand in the other room.

It's whatever.

The problem was the pricing, and that idiotic, irresponsible ignorance+hype fueled free-market NES trainwreck 700$ BS.   

Nobody with half a brain appreciates more things contributing to dumb prices, especially when we all basically said the price sucked and was unreasonable, and later events have proven that to be true.

This wasn't "oh the trolls and shitty members that quit ruined everything".

people like to try and do that, and throw like, ProfProf under the bus, but nope.

Its kind of over-reacty, anyways.   That shit wasn't really worth taking your toys and running to a different playground.

This "max-level forum psycho" (:lol:) destroyed TWO PC Engine groups in rage: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook "Because Chris 'Shadowland' Runyon!," then the other by Aaron Nanto "Because Le NightWolve!" Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together... Both times he blamed the Aarons in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged, destructive, toxic turbo troll gang!

CrackTiger

I think that the guy selling goods using kevtris' stuff took heat for pretty much only coming here to spam the same ad that he copy/pastes into every retro gaming forum.

That and taking all the info and advice he could for mods and then gouging pcbs based on forum members' designs without kicking anything back to the designer(s). kevtris would probably be pissed if this guy was using his work without paying him anythjng.

Instead he's pissed off at the community he doesn't know and isn't a part of.

I have nothing against him and think he's very talented and designs great products. I won't be banning or blacklisting him from anything.
Justin the Not-So-Cheery Black/Hack/CrackTiger helped Joshua Jackass, Andrew/Arkhan Dildovich and the DildoPhiles destroy 2 PC Engine groups: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook, then the other by Aaron Nanto!!! Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together! Both times he blamed the Aarons and their staff in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged/destructive/doxxing toxic turbo troll gang which he covers up for under the "community" euphemism!

NecroPhile

At least the prediction that he was setting a price precedent didn't come to pass (or at least not permanently), as you can get 'em easy for $300 or less.  That's still seems like an awful lot for a dang NES, but video mods are kinda pricey on other systems too.

Arkhan Asylum

It definitely wasn't permanent online at least.

Locally at conventions and stuff?  lol.  It's a goddamn shitshow still.

Something about seeing it in person at a table, with the crowded convention, the noise, the "this might not be here later" and the "oh man I can go home and play this ASAP" makes people COMPLETELY STUPID.

gojira1954

All the analogue products up to the FPGA stuff has had zero interest from me - MVS/NES rehoused in a ridiculous 'luxury' case is wack IMHO.
The mini nt was tempting because of the unlocked cores but the price was still taking the piss.
I've preordered a snes nt (w/no pad!) - £187 so far, hopefully won't get battered by customs too :s
My RGB modded AV famicom with an everdrive came in at less than this but if the snes nt can replace it I think FPGA consoles could well kill my original set ups

NecroPhile

Convention shit eaters don't count.  They'd be gouging the fuck out of 'em no matter what, same as they do for everything else they have on offer.

CrackTiger

Quote from: gojira1954 on 10/19/2017, 03:57 PMAll the analogue products up to the FPGA stuff has had zero interest from me - MVS/NES rehoused in a ridiculous 'luxury' case is wack IMHO.
The mini nt was tempting because of the unlocked cores but the price was still taking the piss.
I've preordered a snes nt (w/no pad!) - £187 so far, hopefully won't get battered by customs too :s
My RGB modded AV famicom with an everdrive came in at less than this but if the snes nt can replace it I think FPGA consoles could well kill my original set ups
At least MVS is real hardware.

I've seen it mentioned in several random threads on atariage that this hdmi kit still has audio and misc problems. Maybe atariage and/or Atari FPGA support will be boycotted next?

SignOfZeta

I sometimes wonder why you guys get so upset by some of these prices. New game machines from the majors are $400 now, and those are all shat out of a robot in quantities of tens of millions. Controllers are now $70 after tax. How well will an Analogue NT hold its value? I don't know, but I have a mint condition XBox 360 here with like 20 hours on it that I can't even GIVE away so I'm thinking probably better than most new machines.

You try making something in a non-volunteer/scenester capacity where profit, or at least breaking even, is necessary to keep the place open and see what the final price tag says after a whopping 115 people put down a deposit.

Look, I'm an OEM-only kinda guy when it comes to video games, pretty much. They made the best gear and the truest experience and that's generally all I want, personally. I currently have no need for this stuff. When I want to play games, I reach for old plastic from SNK, NEC, Nintendo, and Sega. HOWEVER, in Medical Weed's crazy (mostly deleted) garbage posts there was one thing I think was a genuine good point. He mentioned (I'm paraphrasing here) that when a billion dollar company aims a product at rich assholes you don't have a problem but when it's like a three man team you start a fucking campaign against it.

The PC Engine LT was basically $1000 when it came out. On a good day in 1992 you could buy a new car for $4k. The price of a Laseractive (before it was eventually reduced to $70 or whatever) made the LT look cheap. In the "basic" SuperCD system was $400-1000 depending on configuration. Then there is the Supergrafx which is probably best described as "ripoff" since it was $500, basically a $100 fee for each game made for it since anyone buying it probably already had a PCE. And when you look at the timing of things it's pretty hard to buy that didn't NEC know the SGX would never have ten games of its own when they sold it. They cancelled the system themselves and then charged twice the price of a regular system.

And we all love all NEC machines and want every one of them (well, to varying degrees...) despite the actual build quality being...well, really good, but they sure don't have alloy cases and gold tipped connectors and chips physically robbed from other systems by hand one at a fucking time...

So why is it we all love sucking the cocks of giant corporations but any individual that tries to develop a product suffers from the Guess Who's Coming to Dinner problem...that is, it's "OK" but only if the individual is essentially morally perfect, possess at least one advanced degree, and comes with a list of references to prove it?
IMG

gojira1954

>At least MVS is real hardware.

That's the reason for me that the snes nt is worth a punt, not having real hardware but it behaving in an identical manner.
I've tries various software based emu setups - mame 15khz pc, pi etc and all of them are noticeably out when compared to real hardware.
A FPGA set up that can do multiple machines perfectly sounds good, and for me maybe it's time to lose the piles of crts

Medic_wheat

Let's simplify this.

Who here bought any of Analogues clone systems?

What are you thoughts as a owner/consumer?

Does anyone here intend to buy the Super Nt?

NecroPhile

Someone's been huffing model glue.  :P

1.   Opining that something is too expensive doesn't mean anyone is upset.  I don't have a need for the fancier stuff; I'd much rather pay $100 for a unmolested NES and a bunch of common (but great) games and live with composite.
2.   I also think new consoles are overpriced at launch.  They're much better deals after a couple years (they're $250 now) and have more games I want to play.
3.   Controllers for PS4 and xbone are $45 on amazon.  The only ones that're $70 are the Switch ones, and they're widely panned as overpriced.
4.   Not that many members have LTs, SGXs, or LAs because (surprise!) they're generally considered overpriced and not terribly useful.

Medic_wheat

As for myself

Yes,

The all wood CMVS love it

And the Nt (before the mini)

Thoughts?

Love the MVS although I admit only have not used it in two years due to having put it in storage for fear my toddler will wreck it. And pending possible move this year.

As for the Nt well.

Love the build. Love the features.

Was disapointed the scaler wasn't what was initals peomoted or promised.

Was disapointed I couldn't have HDMI and RGB

Was disapointed when they kept changing the dang thing with improvements.

Makes me want the Nt mini as it has everything I wanted from day one but I don't want to buy a third Nt.

Bought one. Sold it for profit and used the money to buy two more from the second batch.

One of the two new ones I gave to my brother in law.

As for the super Nt. I like it.

But because of my experience with the Nt I feel as though I should wait for revisions to see if the thing will later support both hdmi and RGB as well as get a all metal case variant.

I'd prefer my nts to match in build quality instead of having one cool metal Nt and a super Nt that's all plastic.

Arkhan Asylum

Its not that we require morally perfect, advance degree, totally referenced people...

its that were all skeptical when the price of something doesn't make sense.

Overcharging for something just because you need to pay bills or keep your niche market thing open is lame.

When the new thing is priced so high that it becomes a less than viable alternative, people are going to complain.

turboswimbz

Ehhh, I just can't justify paying this much for something that would be just duplicating, what I already have.   It seems great, maybe I will upgrade to one of these after some revisions.   

Sounds like you've had pretty good experiences with these.   And I like we are getting closer to zero lag new systems that work with modern TV's.  To add to the thread, these are something I am going to keep my eyes on. as I don't really plan on getting and upkeeping PMVs and CRTs at the moment.
NW: Hey, I made it on this psycho's Enemies' List, how about that ?? ;)
BT: Look at how the fake SFII' carts instantly sold out and were immediately listed on eBay before the flippers even took possession. Look at Nintendo's overpriced bricks. Look at the typical forum discussions elsewhere. You can't tell most retro gamers anything!

Arkhan Asylum

upkeeping CRTs is annoying.

The SNES already outputs RGB though , so I don't get it.

I get it a little for NES with it's sort of pain in the ass mods.  But, since the alternative is priced around the same it's like 'well this doesn't help as much as it could...'

but, the NES looks like shit anyways, so FUCK ITTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT

Medic_wheat

Quote from: turboswimbz on 10/19/2017, 05:00 PMEhhh, I just can't justify paying this much for something that would be just duplicating, what I already have.   It seems great, maybe I will upgrade to one of these after some revisions.   

Sounds like you've had pretty good experiences with these.   And I like we are getting closer to zero lag new systems that work with modern TV's.  To add to the thread, these are something I am going to keep my eyes on. as I don't really plan on getting and upkeeping PMVs and CRTs at the moment.
I think the lesson I had to relearn is this.

Don't be the first person with the pretty new toy.

Wait for revisions

It worked out for me and the PS4.

I only recently bought one and I feel like it's pretty much where it needs to be after four years on the market.

SignOfZeta

Quote from: Medic_wheat on 10/19/2017, 04:41 PMAs for myself

Yes,

The all wood CMVS love it

And the Nt (before the mini)

Thoughts?

Love the MVS although I admit only have not used it in two years due to having put it in storage for fear my toddler will wreck it. And pending possible move this year.

As for the Nt well.

Love the build. Love the features.

Was disapointed the scaler wasn't what was initals peomoted or promised.

Was disapointed I couldn't have HDMI and RGB

Was disapointed when they kept changing the dang thing with improvements.

Makes me want the Nt mini as it has everything I wanted from day one but I don't want to buy a third Nt.

Bought one. Sold it for profit and used the money to buy two more from the second batch.

One of the two new ones I gave to my brother in law.

As for the super Nt. I like it.

But because of my experience with the Nt I feel as though I should wait for revisions to see if the thing will later support both hdmi and RGB as well as get a all metal case variant.

I'd prefer my nts to match in build quality instead of having one cool metal Nt and a super Nt that's all plastic.
What kind of mutant toddler do you have than can destroy an MVS? What MVS? Most "big reds" have logged dozens of hours with kids literally hanging like monkeys from the joy sticks at Showbiz Pizza.
IMG

Medic_wheat

I think you are confusing MVS (arcade machine) with CMVS which is a consolized arcade board.

I had a MVS arcade but sold the big red beast last year. At the behest of my wife.

NecroPhile

Shoulda sold the wife instead.  :twisted:

Medic_wheat

Quote from: guest on 10/19/2017, 06:09 PMShoulda sold the wife instead.  :twisted:
Lol. Oh it didn't end with the arcade.

Sold two of my four coke machines (all 50's era).

Also a while ago gave away one of the two PVMs I had.

Basically if it's by and bulky she wants it gone.

Wait. I am big and bulky. Hmmmmm

turboswimbz

Quote from: Medic_wheat on 10/19/2017, 06:20 PM
Quote from: guest on 10/19/2017, 06:09 PMShoulda sold the wife instead.  :twisted:
Lol. Oh it didn't end with the arcade.

Sold two of my four coke machines (all 50's era).

Also a while ago gave away one of the two PVMs I had.

Basically if it's by and bulky she wants it gone.

Wait. I am big and bulky. Hmmmmm
Ahh the big box of stuff makes sense now.  Glad to be your dumping ground hahahahahaha
NW: Hey, I made it on this psycho's Enemies' List, how about that ?? ;)
BT: Look at how the fake SFII' carts instantly sold out and were immediately listed on eBay before the flippers even took possession. Look at Nintendo's overpriced bricks. Look at the typical forum discussions elsewhere. You can't tell most retro gamers anything!

esteban

A: Drama queens want drama.

Plus, ranting about the price of Analogue NT was therapeutic, I reckon. Two-Minute Hate, and all that.

I have ranted about things, most certainly, but since I wasn't in the market for this niche product, I didn't really pay close attention to the details. I wonder, though, if I would have felt differently if I had been following all of the announcements —> speculation —> updates —> reactions more carefully.

I kinda feel cheated that I didn't follow this more closely...but I still think I would have been indifferent to Analogue NT overall. 

In contrast, I followed the Retro VCS/Chameleon saga closely and that was incredibly entertaining and well-worth the time. That saga had a bonafide clown/villain, so it was a ready-made circus.
IMGIMG IMG  |  IMG  |  IMG IMG

SignOfZeta

Quote from: Medic_wheat on 10/19/2017, 06:07 PMI think you are confusing MVS (arcade machine) with CMVS which is a consolized arcade board.

I had a MVS arcade but sold the big red beast last year. At the behest of my wife.
Ah, you left a C out so I thought you had both.
IMG

ToyMachine78

Fuck... That's all I got to say... FUCK!

Medic_wheat

Medic_wheat

jtucci31

PukeSter

I'm really disappointed that Factor 5 is forcing people to buy a $200 clone console just to play the complete build of Super Turrican (the full 6 Mb rom with a cut level, graphics and weapons)

https://www.theverge.com/2017/10/23/16497794/analogue-super-nt-super-turrican-directors-cut-snes

Hopefully it gets dumped.

Arkhan Asylum

It will be dumped.

also lol.

Of all the shit to pack in and be amped up for.

Turrican.

gross

Medic_wheat

Quote from: guest on 10/23/2017, 05:44 PMIt will be dumped.

also lol.

Of all the shit to pack in and be amped up for.

Turrican.

gross
It is kinda like the SNES Classic and having Starfox 2 on it.

SignOfZeta

Now that Tatsujin has bailed on us for people who aren't already bored of his collection is there anyone here who doesn't think Turican sucks? Frenchman, Germans, etc?
IMG

PukeSter

Quote from: SignOfZeta on 10/23/2017, 10:12 PMNow that Tatsujin has bailed on us for people who aren't already bored of his collection is there anyone here who doesn't think Turican sucks? Frenchman, Germans, etc?
Depends which turrican games. There's a clear divide between the Amiga games and the console games

Mega Turrican is a phenomenal classic, although the Alien stage drags on a bit too long

Super Turrican 2 looks great but sounds and plays bleh

SignOfZeta

It's all a bunch of industrial Probotector runoff as far as I'm concerned.
IMG

Arkhan Asylum

I will concede that Mega Turrican is kind of OK, but when you could just play Contra Hard Corps, I can't see a great reason to dive at Super Turrican.

Quote from: SignOfZeta on 10/23/2017, 10:12 PMNow that Tatsujin has bailed on us for people who aren't already bored of his collection is there anyone here who doesn't think Turican sucks? Frenchman, Germans, etc?
I legit loled at this.  Probably the  most accurate shit said on this forum in the past 2 years.

nopepper

So I was legit going to order one of these things, because:

-i admit to being a video snob in my old age, and i have an og, non 1 chip SNES that makes my eyes bleed with its blurry RGB in comparison to the PCE, Genesis and NES. Considering people are charging over $100 for a 1 chip SNES nowadays, this seems like a good alternative for better video
-i can plug it into any modern tv with no fuzz, so i can bother the wife playing Mega Man X 2 and its horrible music in our bed room tv
-i've been curious about these FPGA consoles, so this seems like a good entry point to see how well these work in comparison to the real thing

But then I went to check out and they are charging me $30 for ground shipping?!? So its not really a less than $200 clone console after all, given Analogue is adding 15% for shipping charges.

This is just as bad as "just pay extra processing and shipping" for my free Snuggie. So the question is, is it worth $220?

Arkhan Asylum

30$ to ground ship an SNES? lolwtf

don't those fit in 15$ flatrate boxes

GohanX

The Super NT appears to be much smaller than a real SNES, so yeah shouldn't cost more than a few bucks to ship. Welcome to Analogue!

Medic_wheat