10/31/2023: Localization News - Dead of the Brain 1!

No, NOT a trick, a Halloween treat! Presenting the Dead of the Brain 1 English patch by David Shadoff for the DEAD last official PC Engine CD game published by NEC before exiting the console biz in 1999! I helped edit/betatest and it's also a game I actually finished in 2023, yaaay! Shubibiman also did a French localization. github.com/dshadoff/DeadoftheBrain
twitter.com/NightWolve/PCENews
Main Menu

Langrisser 3DS

Started by jlued686, 02/05/2015, 11:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jlued686

wayback://siliconera.com/2015/langrisser-3ds-developers-going-new-look-design/
QuoteIMG
This week, Masaya Games have announced the latest title in the Langrisser series, the first in 15 years, for the Nintendo 3DS. As mentioned in an earlier report, the rights to the Langrisser series are currently owned by a company named Extreme, and CEO Soshi Saito and the chief designer and director Shohei Sato discussed the game in a recent interview with Famitsu magazine. [Thanks, Hokanko-Alt]

After acquiring the rights to the entire Masaya catalog, Extreme have been looking into making their games available in the form of PlayStation archives and Nintendo's Virtual Console. At the same time, they're also looking to work with developers that share the same enthusiasm.

Extreme have been leaning more towards making games for consoles. While they do understand the merits of making games for the more widespread smartphone format, they feel that smartphones can't match the expressive powers of a dedicated game console. These feelings are what led to the development of the new Langrisser for the 3DS.

Additionally, Extreme also hope to find a way to bring the excitement of Masaya's brands—which were pretty popular during the '90s—back. They say that their philosophy is to make games for videogame fans. According to Saito, Extreme also considered Cho Aniki and Kaizou Choujin Shubibinman [the prequel to Shockman] but ultimately, they felt that Langrisser would be the best choice for a revival.

Saito mentions that the upcoming Langrisser title will be a little different from previous games in the series, and one of the reasons for this is that Extreme felt it would be no good if they kept things the way they used to be. The company considered asking  Satoshi Urushihara, who did the artwork for the previous Langrisser games, to contribute to the new title, but the reason they ended up going with Hiroshi Kaieda instead is that they felt the need to do something new.

Additionally, Saito says that he is personally a fan of Kaieda's, which contributed to bringing him in. Finally, it is revealed that Extreme also initially thought about keeping the system exactly the same as the earlier Langrisser games, but that has changed as well.
IMG IMG
IMG IMG

SignOfZeta

Without the series illustrator it's just another strategy game. This guy is OK and all, but I'm not going to go out of my way to play something that bears so little resemblance to the classic series.
IMG

pulstar

Losing Satoshi Urushihara is a bit of a blow but as long as they keep the gameplay and systems the same as classic Langrisser I'll be happy. Langrisser could never be just another strategy game as long they keep the classic gameplay and not the Millenium rubbish they had on the Dreamcast.
My favourite pigeon had a fatal run-in with a cloud...

D

Quote from: SignOfZeta on 02/05/2015, 01:07 PMWithout the series illustrator it's just another strategy game. This guy is OK and all, but I'm not going to go out of my way to play something that bears so little resemblance to the classic series.
Are you kidding?

Satoshi Urushihara only did one-off character designs for main characters appearing in the instruction manual, NPCs and all in-game art were handled by an entirely different team; Noriyuki Iwadare only did the soundtracks for Langrisser II and Langrisser V; and the series itself changed scenario writers three times in five games.

And that's not even taking into account the fact that the whole Langrisser series takes place within the framework of another NCS series created by a completely different team.

The idea that CareerSoft or Satoshi Urushihara were so jolly important to Langrisser is wishful thinking caused by people not bothering to read any of the game credits...

The president of Extreme is a former NCS guy who was with the company during the peak of its Langrisser years from 1996-2000, when he left to form X-nauts, which handled the mobile ports of Langrisser I and some other NCS games. These aren't bandits come in the night to rape your childhood.

SignOfZeta

You could (almost) say the same thing about Dragon Quest and Akira Toriyama. Regardless of the significance, the guy defined the series. It's his image art that sells the games. I never would have played these games if the series illustrator was Rob Liefeld.
IMG

esteban

Quote from: D on 02/07/2015, 04:57 AM
Quote from: SignOfZeta on 02/05/2015, 01:07 PMWithout the series illustrator it's just another strategy game. This guy is OK and all, but I'm not going to go out of my way to play something that bears so little resemblance to the classic series.
Are you kidding?

Satoshi Urushihara only did one-off character designs for main characters appearing in the instruction manual, NPCs and all in-game art were handled by an entirely different team; Noriyuki Iwadare only did the soundtracks for Langrisser II and Langrisser V; and the series itself changed scenario writers three times in five games.

And that's not even taking into account the fact that the whole Langrisser series takes place within the framework of another NCS series created by a completely different team.

The idea that CareerSoft or Satoshi Urushihara were so jolly important to Langrisser is wishful thinking caused by people not bothering to read any of the game credits...

The president of Extreme is a former NCS guy who was with the company during the peak of its Langrisser years from 1996-2000, when he left to form X-nauts, which handled the mobile ports of Langrisser I and some other NCS games. These aren't bandits come in the night to rape your childhood.
I don't know who you are, but I like you :)

You are as passionate about Langrisser as I am about Blodia.

On a more serious note, I never followed up to see how any Masaya/NCS staff (post-PCE) went on to do other things...it's a topic I want to find out more about.
IMGIMG IMG  |  IMG  |  IMG IMG

NightWolve

Quote from: esteban on 02/07/2015, 11:43 AM
Quote from: D on 02/07/2015, 04:57 AM...
I don't know who you are, but I like you :)
You are as passionate about Langrisser as I am about Blodia.
>> Who he is. <<

geise

Totally agree with this.