@GTV reviews the Cosmic Fantasy 1-2 Switch collection by Edia, provides examples of the poor English editing/localization work. It's much worse for CF1. Rated "D" for disappointment, finding that TurboGrafx CF2 is better & while CF1's the real draw, Edia screwed it up...
Main Menu

Should we have a post requirement for new people posting in the sales thread?

Started by BigusSchmuck, 10/23/2015, 04:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Should we have a post requirement for new people posting in the sales thread?

Yes 50 posts
7 (19.4%)
Yes 100 posts
13 (36.1%)
No
16 (44.4%)

Total Members Voted: 36

BigusSchmuck

I dunno about you guys, been seeing a lot of sale threads with people posting their first post as a wtb or FS thread.

o.pwuaioc

I voted 100 posts, but on second thought, perhaps something like 50 posts and 2 months of activity.

blueraven

150-200 would make me feel a bit better, but whatever. I voted for 100. The likeliness that this will happen?

I dunno coz am ledumb

Emerald Rocker

Official member of the PCEFX 4K Post Club

EmperorIng

posting requirements never seem as effective as people think they will be.

o.pwuaioc

Quote from: Nulltard on 10/23/2015, 09:28 PM
Quote from: Emerald Rocker on 10/23/2015, 09:05 PMI voted "no".  Thank you for your support
i was the first "no" vote. I think if a newb wants to buy and sell out of the gate, they can expect that oldtimers will at best ignore them or at worst mock them. Provides good drama. Let them do as they will... gouge each other... buddy price each other... eventually they will either integrate and become one of the gang, or they will ragequit in spectacular fashion.

vote "no".

don't deprive the community of the dramalulz.
As long as we have DK around, there will always be dramalulz. But allowing price gouging raises the prices for everyone. I'd rather not condone that.

o.pwuaioc

I was talking about the other part of your post. Also, remember when wmac came in and could say "I sold X games here for Y prices," even though that Y price was something only you when you're drunk or DK would pay, or other newbs. If they think they're getting a steal here, then they'd be more willing to pay ridiculous prices of other games on ebay, leading to total price inflation. Or they could point to a thread and say "look at how high PCE sells it for, ebay would be even higher to make up for ebay fees."

It's all incidental to the question, though. My real beef is that they clog up the system and snatch good deals from long-time members. They're predatory and that hurts the community more than price gouging newbidiots.

EmperorIng

Quote from: guest on 10/23/2015, 11:19 PMthey clog up the system
This complaint can be leveled at many posts here.

Quote from: guest on 10/23/2015, 11:19 PMthey snatch good deals [and] that hurts the community
The Turbo-Everdrive and Ootake exist, you know.

o.pwuaioc

So does emulation. So do longplay videos on Youtube. What's your point?

Why is that the default answer from so many people? Yeah, no shit I can just everdrive it. I don't want to. I don't think it's healthy to a forum community to just say "let the prices rise and just everdrive it," especially if something can be done about it. Why are so many of you fucking pansies when it comes up to parasitic vultures? Don't be a defeatist cuntnugget.

grolt

I voted no. As a new user here this summer, the first thing I did was buy some stuff from users in the sales threads. Then Nulltard helped me out in a thread I made in the sales forum asking for a second controller. Then there was a n00b raffle that I was lucky enough to win. All these things endeared me to this place right off the bat and got me really enamored with the TG-16 in general. I love this place, but it would have been a real slog having to wait 100 posts just to be able to buy games here, since I'd imagine many new users are up for buying a lot of games, especially the more common ones that veteran users would have little interest in, thus keeping the economic cycle here alive and strong.

I like how there is usually a post minimum for raffles, since that's such a generous bonus here by and for longtime members. To dissuade n00bs who are only here to exploit the sale forums I think a much more modest post threshold, like say 10 or even 5 posts, might work better. No disrespect though, I think it's a worthy thing to be talking about now in light of all the crazy threads here over the last month or so. 
I'm a notorious strange man.

MNKyDeth

Being one of the newer members here I saw the issues off the bat. So I made a few posts first. But I got what I mostly wanted right away in the repair mod area as my Duo wasn't fully working at the time.

Now it's new, during that time I watched the sales section and participated in things mostly buying when I saw the opportunity. Hell my first week when I was still under 10 posts I won a copy of Buster Bros. from Agent_Orange. It was a raffle for people under a certain number of posts to encourage us to participate.

Look... I love my Duo, I would turn it into a warm apple pie and make sweet sweet love to it and this forum... community is the only place that I have that helps me support my console.

I did a 50 post first count as I think the ultra new people, like myself even just a few months ago doesn't understand this community until you read, read read, and realize the personalities on these forums.

It's a great place, a love, hate, Jo crystal place. I try to support people like Turbokon and Thesteve as much as possible by buying stuff from the tg16pcemods website. Tons of other people as well here that are incredibly helpfull and I hope soon I can contribute back in a good way besides just starting and trying to contribute to conversations.

I selected the 50 count so people can learn what this place is about a little before just buying/selling.

RNSpeed

I voted no,  but my suggestion will be that at least that person if new should be kind enough to get known first by introducing themselves. 

Low post count or what a newcomer is called "newb" doesn't means that necessarily that person is new to the Turbografx/PC Engine scene. Of course there are newcomer to the scene but in my case I myself have only 37 post count (well 38 after this one) but I'm not new on the Turbografx/PC Engine scene.   I still have the Turbografx and CD since way back in the 90's.  My systems had been in and out of storage all this years and I had made my contribution to the scene as well.

BigusSchmuck

I'm going to take a stab in the dark here and say this: If you look at most of the old timers posts here, their first posts were not in the sales sections. You can look my first posts it was just asking questions about arcade cards, gaming, gouging, etc and it wasn't until much later on I was wanting to buy stuff. Then there was newbie sellers that felt they got burned on by a deal (which they really didn't) and caused all sorts of unnecessary drama. No, I honestly feel at least 50 posts. This isn't about buying and selling, these forums are a place for knowledge and gaming! The selling and buying should come as a after thought IMHO. End of rant.

WoodyXP

50 to 100 posts seems reasonable if that's the direction we want to head in.  I prefer leaving it to the member to decided on whether they want to deal with noobs or not.
"I bathe in AES carts."

NightWolve

I dunno if we have the discipline for this sort of thing to be honest. We got a good Wild West thing here going, don't we ?? ;)

I recall when we had this debate in the past, Necromancer wasn't a moderator so there wasn't a more immediate way to add some kind of rules like this, much less enforce them. Since that's now changed and he's usually very active here as well as open to the idea of keeping people from treating this place solely as their eBay storefront, we could get the enforcement now though.

EmperorIng

Quote from: guest on 10/24/2015, 01:44 AMWhat's your point?
That it's silly to pin the health of an online forum to external factors like the videogame secondhand market.

Quote from: guest on 10/24/2015, 01:44 AMYeah, no shit I can just everdrive it. I don't want to.
Quote from: guest on 10/24/2015, 01:44 AMWhy are so many of you fucking pansies when it comes up to parasitic vultures? Don't be a defeatist cuntnugget.
:roll:

Quote from: WoodyXP on 10/24/2015, 02:02 PM50 to 100 posts seems reasonable if that's the direction we want to head in.  I prefer leaving it to the member to decided on whether they want to deal with noobs or not.
I think it's just better for the seller to decide who to sell to, whether they want to "keep it in" or make money or "share the fun" or whatever. I suspect that locking the forum away from >100 posters is going to de-incentivize posting overall, or fill it up with quoted posts saying "lol" or "this!" or other likewise garbage that's just a pain to read. If anything it can be just like getting rid of the captcha, 10 posts or whatever.

The root cause of the issue is that older games/systems are becoming more popular and hobbyist groups are more visible and pronounced. There's nothing a forum can do to prevent that (because the forum is a part of that trend and not apart from it). There can be small courtesy measures (like the fact that you can't even browse this forum without joining) but it's not going to change over all trends.

PunkCryborg

Bring on the noobs. No posts counts, who cares if people wanna buy and sell stuff. If you are interested in a hobby, going to a forum to buy and sell stuff is normal. What if a noob wants to unload his collection for a good price? Nobody would care. If some asshat comes in and wants to flip shit they will get driven away anyways. Post restrictions just make it so people bump threads with smilie faces and "cool" posts

johnnykonami

I know when I first started posting here, I was looking to buy some games.  I myself viewed (and still do) this forum as pretty much the premier english forum for Turbo/PCE expertise, so it's only natural that someone would look here for help in acquiring related goods.  I can't see the harm in letting new members participate in the sales forums - you aren't obligated to buy from or sell to them if you don't want to.  I know most of my early posts looking for games weren't met with much success, and that's OK.  I had to relearn the market since I had been away for a while, and I while I spent a lot of time before on the Turbo Mailing List as my primary resource, prices and availability have definitely changed since then.  I can't begrudge people who honestly want to participate in owning some obey.  I can understand wanting to keep flippers from doing their thing, though - but there is little you can do about that, right?  Anybody here with a large post count could do it in secret just by using a different username on ebay.  You just have to hope that doesn't happen.

Raffles though, yeah.  That's something unique and cool about this place I've never seen elsewhere, and for that you should definitely have to prove you're part of the community by posting.

NecroPhile

I'd be okay with a post count requirement to create a for sale thread, as 9 out of 10 times the noob isn't looking to do us any favors, but I'm not in favor of limiting them from posting in other's threads (for sale or raffles).  If the seller/raffler wants to deal with noobs, it's their business, and preventing noobs from posting wouldn't limit their ability to send a PM to the seller anyway.

In any case, I don't set the rules.  It'd be up to Aaron, and he's rather laissez faire about buy/sell/trade.
Ultimate Forum Bully/Thief/Saboteur/Clone Warrior! BURN IN HELL NECROPHUCK!!!

o.pwuaioc

I guess that settles it then. But one thing that is possible to do, if you so wished, would be to completely hide the BST forums until a member reaches a certain post count.

BigusSchmuck

Quote from: guest on 10/26/2015, 10:29 AMI guess that settles it then. But one thing that is possible to do, if you so wished, would be to completely hide the BST forums until a member reaches a certain post count.
I agree.. That sounds the easiest way to do this.

NecroPhile

Quote from: guest on 10/26/2015, 10:29 AMI guess that settles it then. But one thing that is possible to do, if you so wished, would be to completely hide the BST forums until a member reaches a certain post count.
It's possible for Aaron to implement, no doubt, but it's not something I can do.  My administration abilities begin and end with approving and banning members.

Quote from: Nulltard on 10/26/2015, 02:01 PMNonsense. That would just result in even more errant posts in PC-FX Discussion.
:lol:
Ultimate Forum Bully/Thief/Saboteur/Clone Warrior! BURN IN HELL NECROPHUCK!!!

Warbucks

=; You can't buy or sell here....

We hate you ... (after 100 posts) then maybe we will like you a little. :-k

RNSpeed

Quote from: Warbucks on 10/27/2015, 10:19 AM=; You can't buy or sell here....

We hate you ... (after 100 posts) then maybe we will like you a little. :-k
Too restrictive then that's how it feels.

Opethian

IMG

o.pwuaioc

Gentlegamer

If you don't limit the marketplace in the current environment, you will attract the wrong type of members.

There's a reason we've seen most of the new members recently make a first post WTB. That's their first thought when getting approved, this is just a marketplace to them, that's the mentality of the collectard (TAKE THAT SKELLETARD).

Neo-geo.com has a certain rep, but whatever else it may be, it has taken seriously the defense of its forum from pure leechers and flippers who have no contribution outside the marketplace, banning decade long members with like 10 posts, all in the marketplace, and 100 feedback, for example.

How should the marketplace forums be limited? I don't know what hard and fast rule to apply. A post count limit would block hashiriya1, who has few posts, but is like the Santa Claus of import goodness, offering great prices on Japanese items quickly shipped from California.

At neo-geo.com, it's case by case basis, there's even a thread to nominate members to have marketplace privilege restricted. So it's a community effort.
IMG

tknjin

I would be ok with a 50-100 post as well.  I know on assembler you have to have a certain amount of posts and be a member for at least 3 months in order to be considered to sell to other members.

LostFlunky

I voted 50.  It isn't a big deal to get in 50 posts and figure the place out before asking for the bro deals...

Opethian

This aint neo-geo. putting a minimum post count has all sorts of other side effects like people shitposting just to make the cut. People already are doing that just to get considered for raffles with a post count stipulation. A new shit member will always be a new shit member. I think the regulars police the forums well enough. but that's just my 50p
IMG

o.pwuaioc

Quote from: Opethian on 10/28/2015, 09:42 AMThis aint neo-geo. putting a minimum post count has all sorts of other side effects like people shitposting just to make the cut. People already are doing that just to get considered for raffles with a post count stipulation. A new shit member will always be a new shit member. I think the regulars police the forums well enough. but that's just my 50p
Some forums will warn, ban, or reset the post count of shit posters. I know the Sega Saturn one on ProBoards does that.

It's not a difficult thing to achieve if there's motivation for it.

I do get the wild west sort of feeling that people like. My major concern with that is that we get trolls like DarkKobold coming into threads and defending people who "police the forums" as you say. And I never see a post-count for BST threads, though if/when I resume trading/selling, I may start requiring one.

Opethian

IMG

o.pwuaioc

Quote from: Opethian on 10/28/2015, 10:18 AMNo one cares what DK thinks. Why should you?
That wasn't to say anyone cared. That was to say that there's needless drama when there doesn't have to be.

RNSpeed

Quote from: Opethian on 10/28/2015, 09:42 AMThis aint neo-geo. putting a minimum post count has all sorts of other side effects like people shitposting just to make the cut. People already are doing that just to get considered for raffles with a post count stipulation. A new shit member will always be a new shit member. I think the regulars police the forums well enough. but that's just my 50p
Totally agree. Rising the post count can be as easy as filling up the forum with sometimes useless single word posts.

Warbucks

It doesn't bother me that new people want to sell or buy stuff.
They may just be getting into the hobby and are excited about it.

I don't like people who come on to buy stuff just to flip, they suck.

What stinks is the only place to buy turbo stuff for me is feebay, which is a joke.

I'd rather buy from other collectors and Turbo fans.

If anyone knows of a site or place to buy turbo games feel free to let me know :)

wildfruit

I voted no
My 50p
IMG

Gentlegamer

Quote from: RNSpeed on 10/28/2015, 10:26 AM
Totally agree. Rising the post count can be as easy as filling up the forum with sometimes useless single word posts.
That would be taken into account if just post count is considered. Like I said, there should be no hard and fast rule. IvanBeavkov's first handful of posts would give him full marketplace access, I think.
IMG

PunkCryborg

Really what is the point of posts like this anyways though? It's not like anything like this will ever be implemented. This forum is too small to be running off new people looking to get into the scene. How about being nice to new members instead of running everyone off like you see all the time and maybe these people will stick around longer  :-s

Warbucks

Quote from: PunkCryborg on 10/28/2015, 02:18 PMReally what is the point of posts like this anyways though? It's not like anything like this will ever be implemented. This forum is too small to be running off new people looking to get into the scene. How about being nice to new members instead of running everyone off like you see all the time and maybe these people will stick around longer  :-s
So I can get my post count up so I can be cool and buy and sell  =P~

SignOfZeta

I'm surprised this pole is so even. Must be too many noobs voting...
IMG

RNSpeed

So>?   Whats considered a noob?  A person new to the forum or a person new to the TG16/PC Engine scene?

SignOfZeta

Usually it's both, both piss me off, but mainly it's people who are new to the forum that are the ones I notice because...that's what this thread is about. If they aren't on the forum...how could the piss me o-...wait, I suppose there might some kind of psychic power that allows 90s kids who's existence I'm not even aware of to piss me off remotely...probably not though.
IMG

ClodBusted

Quote from: RNSpeed on 10/28/2015, 10:25 PMSo>?   Whats considered a noob?  A person new to the forum or a person new to the TG16/PC Engine scene?
What is a noob? A miserable little pile of secrets!

BigusSchmuck

Quote from: guest on 10/29/2015, 08:36 AM
Quote from: RNSpeed on 10/28/2015, 10:25 PMSo>?   Whats considered a noob?  A person new to the forum or a person new to the TG16/PC Engine scene?
Love that game btw. Way more intense in Japanese though. :P It just seems like there is more collectardism as of late and not enough gamers. Very evident in some of the posts I have been seeing in the past year...

RNSpeed

Good answer, but that concept can't be applied in general to all people. Well at least until they prove the contrary

RNSpeed

Quote from: BigusSchmuck on 10/29/2015, 09:29 AM
Love that game btw. Way more intense in Japanese though. :P It just seems like there is more collectardism as of late and not enough gamers. Very evident in some of the posts I have been seeing in the past year...
Totally agreed,  not enough gamers. People today buy the systems/games to simply store them.

DildoKKKobold

Quote from: guest on 10/28/2015, 10:12 AMI do get the wild west sort of feeling that people like. My major concern with that is that we get trolls like DarkKobold coming into threads and defending people who "police the forums" as you say. And I never see a post-count for BST threads, though if/when I resume trading/selling, I may start requiring one.
Yes, because treating new people who don't know the culture of these forums like shit is a wonderful policy. This is especially true when the nuttiest of this forum try and get personal details, draw phallic symbols on kids heads, or threaten to call child services over one dirty room in the house.

I don't know when you grew this hate-boner for me, o.p. Back on DoxPhile, you asked to help with Catastrophy... and now you can't go a post without mentioning me in a negative light.
For a good time, email: kylethomson@gmail.com
Dildos provided free of charge, no need to bring your own! :lol:
DoxPhile .com / chat
IMG

Supercom32

I'm here almost every other day. I don't post much because I'm a man of very few words, but I definitely do enjoy reading the content. I do like to sell or trade a few things from time to time.

Ozzy_98

While I'm way below the post count, I was going to vote for it.  But then I thought, sure, it prevents a lot of the "drive-buy" people, but who does it help by keeping them out.  The person selling them here has less people to sell to, and limiting post count before you can sell means there's less things to buy.  Should just state in the rules "Sellers are free to refuse sales to anyone they wish, and are encouraged to not sell to people with under 100 posts".

Personally, I think before anyone's allowed to buy any US HuCards\TurboChips, they have to buy one CD-Rom or import.  I'll freely admit I'm not a collectard hater, but people who say "I have a complete TG-16 library" when they don't have a single CD-rom or import piss me off; you're ignoring the bulk of the good games.  Course 90% of those people can only name bonk, zonk, blazing lasers, and magical chase; maybe Ys too.  But I'm biased too and been playing imports for years thanks to DieHard Gamefan getting me addicted.