OMG! ZIRIA! ZIRIA!! ZIRIA!!! IT ACTUALLY HAPPENED!! 34 YEARS LATER!! The epic/legendary Tengai Makyou/Far East of Eden: Ziria JRPG has finally been localized! Supper the Subtitler struck again! Simply unstoppable, NOTHING can prevent him from TOTAL PCECD localization domination!!!! WHACHA GONNA DO BROTHER?!?!
Main Menu

PC-FX bull

Started by bartre, 03/13/2016, 10:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bartre

yo, i'm debating nabbing one of these, but i'm not terribly familiar with it.
what's the rundown nuggets?
what's a good price on a system?

NecroPhile

Test drive it in an emulator first, man.  The system definitely ain't for everyone, especially if you have a low tolerance for moonrunes.

As for price, expect to pay $100-150 for a system depending on condition and if it's boxed.  The best deals are to wait for a lot (I got one last year for $500ish with a bunch of games, including pricey Zenki and Zeriogar), or to pick one up off somebody in the US that's already paid the steep international shipping but ended up not liking it.  The latter happens all to often, sadly, which is why everyone really should try it out first before buying.
Ultimate Forum Bully/Thief/Saboteur/Clone Warrior! BURN IN HELL NECROPHUCK!!!

elmer

Quote from: guest on 03/14/2016, 11:19 AMTest drive it in an emulator first, man.  The system definitely ain't for everyone, especially if you have a low tolerance for moonrunes.
I 100% agrees with this, just download Mednafen and go to your favorite download-site and try out some of the games.

You'll probably find that there aren't many that have decent production-values and actually give you a reason to buy real hardware.

You recently sold your X68000 ... if that machine couldn't keep your interest, then I'm not sure that the PC-FX's software library is going to appeal.

From my POV ... the PC-FX is more interesting from what it could-have-been if developers had had the time and budgets to do good games, rather than the reality of what it was in a situation where developers rarely had either, and a lot of what I've seen on the PC-FX looks like cheap-and-nasty shovelware.

There are a few stand-out titles ... but they seem to hold quite high prices if you get to the point of trying to buy them from Japan.

bartre

Quote from: elmer on 03/14/2016, 12:18 PMYou recently sold your X68000 ... if that machine couldn't keep your interest, then I'm not sure that the PC-FX's software library is going to appeal.
well that wasn't so much because it didn't appeal to me, more of a necessity type deal.
but I've still got it, so i'm happy :)

I wasn't sure the PC-FX got emulated very well, I'll check it out.
what are the games i should try?
Zenki and Zeroigar i've played for maybe a combined 30 minutes, but the seemed fun.

NecroPhile

If you like Parasol Stars (who doesn't?), check out Chip Chan Kick.

esadajr

Get medgui. Give the translated Pia Carrot a shot, the kind of games the machine seems to excel at.
Gaming since 1985

bartre

Quote from: guest on 03/14/2016, 05:57 PMIf you like Parasol Stars (who doesn't?), check out Chip Chan Kick.
I don't....
not quite sure why, it just never clicked with me.

SignOfZeta

Why bother? You'll just sell the thing in a month.
IMG

bartre

Quote from: SignOfZeta on 03/14/2016, 06:03 PMWhy bother? You'll just sell the thing in a month.
what gives you that impression?

OldRover

Or just wait a few months for The Four Horsemen Of Teh FXacolypse to start putting out new games. :lol:
Turbo Badass Rank: Janne (6 of 12 clears)
Conquered so far: Sinistron, Violent Soldier, Tatsujin, Super Raiden, Shape Shifter, Rayxanber II

elmer

Quote from: bartre on 03/14/2016, 05:20 PMwell that wasn't so much because it didn't appeal to me, more of a necessity type deal.
but I've still got it, so i'm happy :)
I'm glad that you managed to hold onto it. Your sale finally pushed me into getting an X68000 myself so that I could see Hudson's "other" machine.

QuoteI wasn't sure the PC-FX got emulated very well, I'll check it out.
what are the games i should try?
Zenki and Zeroigar i've played for maybe a combined 30 minutes, but the seemed fun.
Rypheca has done an incredibly wonderful job with Mednafen ... it seems rock-solid.

Some folks just find it a little unfriendly to use, but it doesn't bother me.

Avoid MagicEngineFX ... it's missing some important emulation features.

You've got to give Zeroigar another go now that it's translated. Understanding the story and the game makes all the difference.

Apart from that, there's the "usual" suspects ... Ruruli Ra Rura, and possibly Team Innocent and Miraculum.

NecroPhile

I've not picked up a copy to play yet, but Ojousama Sousamou looks fun.

elmer

Quote from: guest on 03/15/2016, 09:23 AMI've not picked up a copy to play yet, but Ojousama Sousamou looks fun.
Ooohhh ... I hadn't seen that one. I like the isometric perspective!

I guess that I forgot to mention "Last Imperial Prince" before, which seems nice to look at, but may be a bit repetitive to play.

deubeul

I didn't play it a lot, but I love the cartoonish look of Farland Story's battles.

CrackTiger

Quote from: NecroPhile on 03/14/2016, 05:57 PMIf you like Parasol Stars (who doesn't?), check out Chip Chan Kick.
I enjoy clear-the-screen style games like Bubble Bobble, but Parasol Stars has always felt uncomfortable to me. It's probably just the aesthetics, but it's kept me from playing through it again.

Chip Can Kick is cool though. :)
Justin the Not-So-Cheery Black/Hack/CrackTiger helped Joshua Jackass, Andrew/Arkhan Dildovich and the DildoPhiles destroy 2 PC Engine groups: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook, then the other by Aaron Nanto!!! Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together! Both times he blamed the Aarons and their staff in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged/destructive/doxxing toxic turbo troll gang which he covers up for under the "community" euphemism!

JoshTurboTrollX

Bartre, check it out in a few weeks at MGC.  We'll have one running in TurboFest with a slew of games.  We can show you some of the better titles with a pretty good list of cheapie games and an easy way to play the harder to find OMG Rarez.  :)

I'm back in the PCFX world and quite enjoy it.
Jossshhhhh...Legendary TurboTrollX-16: He revenge-bans PCE Developers/Ys IV Localizers from PCE Facebook groups and destroyed 2 PC Engine groups: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook, then the other by Aaron Nanto!!! Josh and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together! Both times he blamed the Aarons and their staff in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner (extortion!), never himself nor his deranged, destructive, toxic turbo troll gang!

bartre

Quote from: JoshTurboTrollX-16 on 03/16/2016, 11:04 AMBartre, check it out in a few weeks at MGC.  We'll have one running in TurboFest with a slew of games.  We can show you some of the better titles with a pretty good list of cheapie games and an easy way to play the harder to find OMG Rarez.  :)

I'm back in the PCFX world and quite enjoy it. 
yeah i was planning on that bare minimum :)

i'm finding myself playing and enjoying my games and the community more lately, it's a nice change.
when i sold off a lot of stuff this summer, i kind of found myself disillusioned with retro gaming.

Arkhan Asylum

The majority of the library is not playable if you can't read Japanese.

What is playable...

some of it's like retard $$$ now.    You can burn CDRs at least.

Consider it like, the SuperGrafxCD.

5 games.

Unless you like fumblefucking through digital comics, making shit up as you go along.
This "max-level forum psycho" (:lol:) destroyed TWO PC Engine groups in rage: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook "Because Chris 'Shadowland' Runyon!," then the other by Aaron Nanto "Because Le NightWolve!" Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together... Both times he blamed the Aarons in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged, destructive, toxic turbo troll gang!