Nintendo Switch Thread (previously NX)

Started by Otaking, 07/03/2016, 08:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ClodBusted

Sooo... Are there yet any puns on the console's name?

TheClash603

sirhcman

Otaking

Quote from: guest on 11/16/2016, 01:39 AMSooo... Are there yet any puns on the console's name?
Nintendo's Bitch?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=86jH2UQmvKY&t=812s
Quote from: some block off youtubeIn one episode, Dodongo c-walks out of a convenience store with a 40 at 7:40 AM, steals an arcade machine from an auction, haggles in Spanish for a stuffed papa smurf to use as a sex toy, and buys Secret of Mana for a dollar.

Otaking

Quote from: some block off youtubeIn one episode, Dodongo c-walks out of a convenience store with a 40 at 7:40 AM, steals an arcade machine from an auction, haggles in Spanish for a stuffed papa smurf to use as a sex toy, and buys Secret of Mana for a dollar.

ClodBusted

TheClash603

Otaking

TheClash603

The rumored 3rd version of the new Pokemon game coming to Switch is going to be a system mover.  This game alone will sell more units than the Wii U, which is great news because a higher install base = more games.

Otaking

NecroPhile

Nice t-shirt and jeans, ya fat fuck.
Ultimate Forum Bully/Thief/Saboteur/Clone Warrior! BURN IN HELL NECROPHUCK!!!

sirhcman

bob

reggie sucks.  i dont know who would think hes the guy to run NOA.
hes just all around horrible.

esteban

Wow, I find Fallon far more annoying in that clip. Reggie is just spewing generic PR-speak. He is epitome of lame, but innocuous. I can tune him out.

Fallon, on the other hand, irritates me and I can't simply "tune him out"

My kids watch these vapid, irritating YouTubers (EvanTube, HobbyGamesTV, ...) that irk me to no end... and Fallon was behaving and irritating me in the same manner.

Fallon's lip sync battles were good, but I can't stand him otherwise. I liked him on SNL, back in the day, so I am a bit surprised that I can't stomach him now.
IMGIMG IMG  |  IMG  |  IMG IMG

esadajr

Looks like kinda what the Wii U should have been if they didn't rush it. Stupid Nintendo.
Gaming since 1985

ClodBusted

Mhmmm.... Drunk thoughts... Let's make a console called the Stupid Nintendo Entertainment System. Upcoming bestseller games are: Stupid Mario World. Stupid Star Wars. Stupid Mario Kart. Stupid Empire Strikes Back. Stupid Soccer. Stupid Mario All Stars. Stupid Return Of The Jedi. Stupid Tennis...

sirhcman

Quote from: esadajr on 12/09/2016, 09:00 AMLooks like kinda what the Wii U should have been if they didn't rush it. Stupid Nintendo.
Beyond the whole "portable" part is there really much of a difference between this and the Wii U? It would have been silly for Nintendo to release this back when the 3DS was selling like gangbusters, now that the 3DS is at the end of life cycle Nintendo thinks putting all of their eggs in one basket is a wise choice. They had the monopoly on true portable gaming devices and the Nintendo Switch seems to be too big for a true portable and its too portable to be a good home console. Sure they may have their good first party games but I still see this system as being very divisive for all of the third party developers out there. Just my two cents

TheClash603

Even though Jimmy Fallon tried to ruin it for me, I am still excited about the Switch.  I will be much happier once I can preorder and I secure one, due to Nintendo's limited supply shit they always pull.

jtucci31

Yeah Fallon was his normal annoying, but I always kind of liked Reggie. Why all the hate?

esadajr

Quote from: TheClash603 on 12/10/2016, 01:38 PM... I will be much happier once I can preorder and I secure one, due to Nintendo's limited supply shit they always pull.
^^^ this. One more time no preorder. What the F?! Not even from the UK, though this time it wouldn't make sense thanks to regional lockout BS.
Gaming since 1985

GaijinD

Feel like a treasure game on a rainy day.

LostFlunky

Reggie said that (January date) on the Tonight Show.

My kids saw it and asked for one. This will be the first Nintendo console released where they knew what was going on.

esadajr

and no presale, this is just gonna be great
Gaming since 1985

Otaking

DeshDildo

I still don't understand why WiiU is $300 fucking dollars.  How is Nintendo even selling them right now?  Everyone knows the new console is coming in a few short months and PS4 and Xbones are selling for $250 (mine craft Xbone selling for $225).  WTF!?  I have been waiting for the WiiU's demise to get one on the cheap.
"You CAN'T prove Nulltard/DoxPhile caused ANY harm/damage/sabotage to PCEFX!! You have NO evidence he poached ANY members for his own failed PC Engine forum/site or was a conniving destructive saboteur! ZERO, ZIP, NADA!!! Nulltard did nothing wrong!"

crazydean

Quote from: Desh on 12/21/2016, 10:09 AMI still don't understand why WiiU is $300 fucking dollars.  How is Nintendo even selling them right now?  Everyone knows the new console is coming in a few short months and PS4 and Xbones are selling for $250 (mine craft Xbone selling for $225).  WTF!?  I have been waiting for the WiiU's demise to get one on the cheap.
Well, they already stopped manufacturing it. So, I'm guessing they don't have much inventory left. Maybe a few stores will discount it when the Switch comes out if they still have any left.

NecroPhile

Those specs aren't far off a shield android tv, except when undocked and the gpu speed is cut in half, meaning it won't be able to keep up with any modern consoles or decent phones and tablets.  I get that fancy graphics aren't everything, but they should've stuck with the wii-u if specs don't matter.

sirhcman

Quote from: guest on 12/21/2016, 11:59 AMbut they should've stuck with the wii-u if specs don't matter.
I think the biggest reason they went to this new console was that they wanted to merge their portable and home console development teams.

If these specs are legitimate (Nintendo hasn't confirmed or denied them) they are really going to have a tough time getting major third party support.

sirhcman

Quote from: Desh on 12/21/2016, 10:09 AMI still don't understand why WiiU is $300 fucking dollars.  How is Nintendo even selling them right now?  Everyone knows the new console is coming in a few short months and PS4 and Xbones are selling for $250 (mine craft Xbone selling for $225).  WTF!?  I have been waiting for the WiiU's demise to get one on the cheap.
I almost find it hard to believe that this console would not be discounted at some point. I picked mine up from Nintendo's website (it was a "refurbished" 32GB model that looked brand new) for $200 over 2 1/2 years ago and it came with Nintendo Land and also New Super Mario Bros. Wii U.

Otaking

Yeah those specs are really very weak, even by Nintendo standards.
Normally I don't care as I don't buy into Nintendo for cutting edge CPU speed and graphics, they hit home runs in the gameplay department, just great fun well designed games.
But those Switch specs look really bad.

wildfruit

This looks decent enough. I hope the terrible frame rate in parts is just the video and not the actual game. Maybe it's just my phone.

Dicer

You can't have massive power AND a low price point, which seems what everyone wants...I'm sure it'll deliver enough performance for the price point. 3rd parties have had nothing but praise so far regarding support and tools this time around. Also, that studio posted above doesn't have a dev kit yet, so that video is based off a PC build.

I'm not worried as the usual PR speak has been replaced by genuine excitement from studios this time around.

Jan 12th isn't that far off.

TheClash603

Quote from: guest on 12/21/2016, 12:40 PM
I almost find it hard to believe that this console would not be discounted at some point. I picked mine up from Nintendo's website (it was a "refurbished" 32GB model that looked brand new) for $200 over 2 1/2 years ago and it came with Nintendo Land and also New Super Mario Bros. Wii U.
I always own two of each system so I have a backup for the inevitable day something goes wrong with the one I am playing.  I have been checking all the clearance aisles looking for Wii U consoles and nothing.  I really do think the stock is low, finding a real deal is going to be tough.

Even worse, have you seen retail stocks of Wii U games?  If there is a game you want and you see it at any discount at all, I would snatched it up.  In the event Wii U does get discounted and they move quickly, no one will have any games to buy for the thing.

sirhcman

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Black-Wii-U-32GB-Deluxe-Nintendo-Land-FACTORY-REFURBISHED-BY-NINTENDO-/112237169726?_trkparms=5373%3A0%7C5374%3AFeatured

Desh you make want to go the refurbished route through Nintendo. This is how I got mine and the system didn't have a single scratch on it. Came in a standard Wii U console box (though it said refurbished on one side of it). It came with all the standard packing material and accessories with it as well

NecroPhile

Quote from: Dicer on 12/21/2016, 07:53 PMYou can't have massive power AND a low price point, which seems what everyone wants...I'm sure it'll deliver enough performance for the price point.
Its price is only competitive if you compare it to buying both a console and a portable.  As a console, it's more expensive yet no faster than a shield android tv or PS4; as a portable,  it's more expensive yet no faster than a shield tablet or galaxy tab s2.

That'd be a fair trade off (getting two for one) if it could actually function well as a portable, but it's rather too bulky and clunky to carry around, plus the screen is complete garbage compared to any modern tablet.

Gredler

Quote from: wildfruit on 12/21/2016, 07:43 PMThis looks decent enough. I hope the terrible frame rate in parts is just the video and not the actual game. Maybe it's just my phone.
Framerate is crap, but this is a indie game that looks very un-optimized and has a lot of room for degradation of assets without much impact to visuals to improve framerate.

Quote from: guest on 12/22/2016, 11:02 AMThat'd be a fair trade off (getting two for one) if it could actually function well as a portable, but it's rather too bulky and clunky to carry around, plus the screen is complete garbage compared to any modern tablet.
Oh nice, you've held it and have an idea of how bulky it is, how well it functions, and the quality of the screen? I'd love to hear more detailed impressions! :)

Otaking

The Switch does look kinda bulky to me in the promo videos, look at the size comparison to the 3DS XL.

IMG

Gredler

Quote from: Otaking on 12/22/2016, 01:47 PMThe Switch does look kinda bulky to me in the promo videos, look at the size comparrison to the 3DS XL.

IMG
Thanks for the comparison photo! :) I hope it's thinner than the 3DS Xl, because I put that in my pocket now and the thickness is more of an issue than the width and height - it's sorta like a phablet but much thicker.

I can't wait to get my hands on it and see how it fits down there *blush*

I've been carrying handhelds for a long time, from GBA to PSP and N3DSXL I usually lug a handheld around with me. I've never carried a Vita, as I don't own one, but I'd love to see a size comparison to that!

NecroPhile

Quote from: Gredler on 12/22/2016, 01:19 PMOh nice, you've held it and have an idea of how bulky it is, how well it functions, and the quality of the screen? I'd love to hear more detailed impressions! :)
You don't need to hold it in your hands.  You just need functioning eyes and an IQ over 70.

Besides the overall dimensions making it not-so-portable (a complaint many have already logged against the smaller 3DS XL), I say it's bulky because it's substantially thicker than any modern tablet and the analog sticks appear to stick out so far that they'll prevent it from easily sliding in and out of pockets.  I say it's clunky because the sticks are offset, there's no real d-pad, and the controllers are much too small for real use separately.  As for the screen, complete garbage might be a bit much but the resolution is much lower than what you'll find in any modern tablet or phone, no lcd is as good as the oleds used in some competing devices, and Nintendo doesn't exactly have a good track record of using quality screens.

Gredler

Quote from: guest on 12/22/2016, 04:05 PMYou don't need to hold it in your hands.  You just need functioning eyes and an IQ over 70.
Thanks, love you too necro, keeping it as classy as ever. I'll keep in mind your statements of fact are based on assumptions going forward - my low IQ appreciates your explanation.

Quote from: guest on 12/22/2016, 04:05 PMThe analog sticks appear to stick out so far that they'll prevent it from easily sliding in and out of pockets.  I say it's clunky because the sticks are offset, there's no real d-pad, and the controllers are much too small for real use separately. 
The thumb sticks sticking out is my biggest concern, I imagine this thing has to be disassembled to be put in the pocket - and at that size it looks similar to the N3DS XL except the switch will be thinner. I guess I am one of the people with jeans not so skinny that I an actually fit my phone and N3DS XL in one pocket comfortably; the 3DS XL vs a phablet with a case seems very similar in size to me, but what do I know. When I am rocking cargo shorts it's no question, that 3DSXL is coming with me for the day :D

The lack of clamshell design makes me concerned for the screen scratching. I eventually gravitated towards carrying a 3DS from PSP because of this, even though there were a lot of PSP games I'd like to play it basically only accompanies me on trips where I have a bag with me.

I am really hoping for the modular design to allow for more portable solutions for the controller and screen protection. You're right the thumbsticks do look like it'd be shitty to pocket as any raised thumbstick device would be - but I will reserve my judgement until I hold it and try to pocket it to know for fact.

The offset thumbstick's a preference a lot of people prefer, including myself, and the lack of a true d-pad will also have to reserve judgement until tested considering how much I enjoy all of Sony's dpads which are not "true" d-pads. I also thought the C-Buttons on the N64 worked fine as a d-pad for many games, so my judgement is obviously fucked and obtuse :)

Quote from: guest on 12/22/2016, 04:05 PMAs for the screen, complete garbage might be a bit much but the resolution is much lower than what you'll find in any modern tablet or phone, no lcd is as good as the oleds used in some competing devices, and Nintendo doesn't exactly have a good track record of using quality screens.
I wonder what games would be able to take advantage of "modern tablets or phones" resolutions. As far as I know most games are developed for 720p and upscaled, with a few being developed at 1080p. I guess upscaling is a high priority to you? What other hand held consoles are using OLED? I'd love to go into a store and pick one up.

jtucci31

Is that size comparison accurate? Or legitimate? Could just be pictures of the two next to one another, that doesn't say much.

NecroPhile

Quote from: Gredler on 12/22/2016, 05:17 PMThanks, love you too necro, keeping it as classy as ever. I'll keep in mind your statements of fact are based on assumptions going forward - my low IQ appreciates your explanation.
Says the snarky ass that responded to my simple observations by implying that only an idiot would assume anything or form an opinion until they've held something in their hands.  Everybody stop posting!  You know nothing!!!

Quote from: Gredler on 12/22/2016, 05:17 PMI wonder what games would be able to take advantage of "modern tablets or phones" resolutions. As far as I know most games are developed for 720p and upscaled, with a few being developed at 1080p. I guess upscaling is a high priority to you?
Almost all PS4 games run at 1080p native, and most xbone games are running at 900p or higher.  Maybe you're talking about android/ios games?

Either way, it doesn't matter.  My original point was about the Switch being more expensive while having lesser specs; whether or not the better specs matter to me (or anyone else) is irrelevant.

Quote from: Gredler on 12/22/2016, 05:17 PMWhat other hand held consoles are using OLED? I'd love to go into a store and pick one up.
There's several tablets and phones with OLED screens.  If you want to ignore those as competitors, there's nothing.

Gredler

Quote from: guest on 12/22/2016, 06:25 PMSays the snarky ass that responded to my simple observations by implying that only an idiot would assume anything or form an opinion until they've held something in their hands.  Everybody stop posting!  You know nothing!!!
Hahah Sorry dude, I honestly did not mean to be snarky! I thought you may have a homie with access that let you check it out, but I should've known that if that were the case you'd be respectful of that homie (or of your career if you're the one with access) not to say something :P  The way you phrased it made it sound like you had personal experience with the switch.

Quote from: guest on 12/22/2016, 06:25 PMAlmost all PS4 games run at 1080p native, and most xbone games are running at 900p or higher.  Maybe you're talking about android/ios games?
Run at or upscale to? I wasn't aware that almost all the games were running at 1080 now, news to me :) I was under the impression that aside from some very well optimized games like Call of Duty and the like were running at 720p, and even then 30fps. 1080p 60fps isn't what I thought was standard, so lets hope they can do that at least right? :)

Quote from: guest on 12/22/2016, 06:25 PMEither way, it doesn't matter.  My original point was about the Switch being more expensive while having lesser specs; whether or not the better specs matter to me (or anyone else) is irrelevant.
Agreed. I personally buy a game system for the games on it, not the specs (did the turbo have better specs than the Genesis?)

Quote from: guest on 12/22/2016, 06:25 PMThere's several tablets and phones with OLED screens.  If you want to ignore those as competitors, there's nothing.
Yeah I wasn't considering those, if this were a phone or had the capabilities of a tablet I'd see your point. To me this would replace my 3DS or PSP not my tablet, the fap station stays in the bathroom this is going with me everywhere or chilling in the living room.

wildfruit

Can this run turrican. Yes or no? That's all I ask.

Gredler

Quote from: wildfruit on 12/22/2016, 07:13 PMCan this run turrican. Yes or no? That's all I ask.
The switch does what turrican't

And I looked into a bit, and it looks like there are very few PS4 games not running at 1080p, and those are at 900 or fluctuate dynamically between 900 and 1080 - news to me! :)

LostFlunky

The specs are pretty irrelevant to me, as are the tablet comparisons.  Games designed for a tablet are never going to replace games designed for game hardware.. 

As long as this thing gets 10-15 really good Nintendo games over the next several years it will be a success for me...

sirhcman

Quote from: Gredler on 12/22/2016, 07:25 PM
Quote from: wildfruit on 12/22/2016, 07:13 PMCan this run turrican. Yes or no? That's all I ask.
The switch does what turrican't

And I looked into a bit, and it looks like there are very few PS4 games not running at 1080p, and those are at 900 or fluctuate dynamically between 900 and 1080 - news to me! :)
The biggest issue for current gen systems is getting the games to output a constant 60fps. Personally I would rather have a game run at 720p@60fps than 1080p@30fps. The sacrifice in resolution is minimal compared to the added fps

Quote from: Lost Monkey on 12/23/2016, 08:52 AMAs long as this thing gets 10-15 really good Nintendo games over the next several years it will be a success for me...
It might be fine for you but is it fine for the big N? I guess we will see!

DeshDildo

On the subject of OLED screens I'm pretty sure the Vita's screen OLED.
"You CAN'T prove Nulltard/DoxPhile caused ANY harm/damage/sabotage to PCEFX!! You have NO evidence he poached ANY members for his own failed PC Engine forum/site or was a conniving destructive saboteur! ZERO, ZIP, NADA!!! Nulltard did nothing wrong!"

wildfruit

Quote from: Desh on 12/23/2016, 12:21 PMOn the subject of OLED screens I'm pretty sure the Vita's screen OLED.
The first model was. The one I have is LCD.

Dicer

Quote from: Desh on 12/23/2016, 12:21 PMOn the subject of OLED screens I'm pretty sure the Vita's screen OLED.
Olders models were, they ditched them at some point though...