RIP to BT Garner of MindRec.com... He passed away early 2023 from health problems. BT was one of the top PCE homebrew developers and founder of the OG Turbo List, then PCECP.com. Condolences to family and friends.
IMG
IMG
Main Menu

Nintendo Switch Thread (previously NX)

Started by Otaking, 07/03/2016, 08:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

wildfruit

I was keen. Til I weighed up that  buying the system, a game and a pro controller is almost £400. That is atrocious. Will wait for some sort of bundle to appear.

TR0N

IMG
PSN:MrNeoGeo
Wii U:Progearspec

Digi.k

Mathius

Digi.k

yeeeeeps just when I am getting into the pc engine game...

Otaking

The Switch scalping, gouging and flipping has started already....
Actual Sold listings on eBay...
in UK
http://www.ebay.com/itm/132064182390
http://www.ebay.com/itm/122310195493
http://www.ebay.com/itm//252723551173
etc...

in US
http://www.ebay.com/itm/182420172897
http://www.ebay.com/itm/262808160261
http://www.ebay.com/itm/262805849903
etc...

and also this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=86jH2UQmvKY&t=812s
Quote from: some block off youtubeIn one episode, Dodongo c-walks out of a convenience store with a 40 at 7:40 AM, steals an arcade machine from an auction, haggles in Spanish for a stuffed papa smurf to use as a sex toy, and buys Secret of Mana for a dollar.

wildfruit

A fairly balanced video. For me personally it's just not what I want. I could have done without the tablet aspect and as for motion controls just can't stand them.
I do envisage I will eventually dip in, but not right away.
I do hope a lot of others find enjoyment with this straight away as even though I'm not raving I wouldn't want it to be a complete dodo. Maybe they'll come out with a switch light or something, sans tablet.

TheClash603

I had the Zelda Master Edition in my cart on gamestop.com and I decided to wait for the Best Buy or Amazon preorder to go up instead.  That's because I get 20% off and free shipping at both, so the $130 game would've been about $113 with tax and shipping, versus nearly $160 for the same game at Gamestop.

Unfortunately the game sold out before I even saw it post at Amazon and Best Buy and is now selling for $350 on ebay.  It looks like I fucked my chance to ever own a Master Sword!

Otaking

Any UK people looks like you can pre order now direct from UK Nintendo
http://store.nintendo.co.uk/nintendo-switch.list
If you pre order Zelda BOTW from there you also get a free Zelda T shirt.

I already pre ordered my Switch and Zelda BOTW Standard Edition from Amazon yesterday.
I just canceled the Amazon BOTW Standard Edition and just pre ordered from Nintendo the BOTW Special Edition + T Shirt, was only £20 more and thought why not.
It's not clear exactly what's in the UK Special Edition as different places say different things. What interested me the most is the Zelda carry case for the Switch console, so i hope that's included.
Quote from: some block off youtubeIn one episode, Dodongo c-walks out of a convenience store with a 40 at 7:40 AM, steals an arcade machine from an auction, haggles in Spanish for a stuffed papa smurf to use as a sex toy, and buys Secret of Mana for a dollar.

ChuChu Flamingo

I like the fact that a collectors edition of a game for a system not already out yet sold instantly. Add on top of this being another underpowered system, weird ass controller for ants, the rape your ass raw without lube peripherals, paying for p2p online, and the tested into oblivion mario games with ports R us. Bomberman might be fun along with shitty fugly SF2 HD remix but can you imagine playing on those controllers?

Nintendo just needs to stop with these gimmicks imo, but in any case I am super hype to get the same handful or so first party games just like my Wii U.

seieienbu

I'll probably play the new SF2 but man, even as much as I love Street Fighter I'm not exactly excited for SF2 versions of Evil Ryu and Violent Ken.
Current want list:  Bomberman 93

BigusSchmuck

Quote from: seieienbu on 01/17/2017, 04:14 AMI'll probably play the new SF2 but man, even as much as I love Street Fighter I'm not exactly excited for SF2 versions of Evil Ryu and Violent Ken. 
I'm probably the only one who red emo Ryu and Violet Ken. lol

Medic_wheat

I like how the more traditional controller must be bought separately.

There is innovation and then there is complete disregard for what has been perfected and proffered.

With that said I guess I'll be able to get a WiiU for $20 pretty soon.

Gredler

Quote from: ChuChu Flamingo on 01/17/2017, 03:28 AMI like the fact that a collectors edition of a game for a system not already out yet sold instantly. Add on top of this being another underpowered system, weird ass controller for ants, the rape your ass raw without lube peripherals, paying for p2p online, and the tested into oblivion mario games with ports R us. Bomberman might be fun along with shitty fugly SF2 HD remix but can you imagine playing on those controllers?

Nintendo just needs to stop with these gimmicks imo, but in any case I am super hype to get the same handful or so first party games just like my Wii U.
I agree with your wonderfully hypocritical statements of contradictory. Well done.

Project Octopath has me excited, a mix of 3D Dot Game heroes with a 16-bit palette and late square enix 16 bit style - so unique! I wonder what the gameplay is like, but I am assuming it's the same gals and guys that did Bravely Default for 3DS - since we haven't heard anything from them since Bravely Second. I have been mid-love-affair with Bravely Default, so maybe that's what's clouding my presumptions.

Quote from: Medic_wheat on 01/17/2017, 11:12 AMWith that said I guess I'll be able to get a WiiU for $20 pretty soon.
Danm that'd be awesome, I'd buy another one (or two) for 20$ to hoard as backups. I've loved my Wii U.

TR0N

Quote from: ChuChu Flamingo on 01/17/2017, 03:28 AM
Quote from: ChuChu Flamingo on 01/17/2017, 03:28 AMmight be fun along with shitty fugly SF2 HD remix but can you imagine playing on those controllers?
There's been rumors,hori may provide a joystick for the switch.Funny i've seem people freak out about violent ken showing up in SF2 HD remix but his first appearance was SvsC Chaos.
IMG

TheClash603

Quote from: TR0N on 01/17/2017, 06:58 PM
Quote from: ChuChu Flamingo on 01/17/2017, 03:28 AM
Quote from: ChuChu Flamingo on 01/17/2017, 03:28 AMmight be fun along with shitty fugly SF2 HD remix but can you imagine playing on those controllers?
There's been rumors,hori may provide a joystick for the switch.Funny i've seem people freak out about violent ken showing up in SF2 HD remix but his first appearance was SvsC Chaos.
It looks like the only.choice for play on the go would be the stick, since the d-pad on the Joy-Con seems (without ever touching one) to not be built for Street Fighter at all.  However, I will say that I have been playing portable fighters since the OG Gameboy and other than the Neo Geo Pocket, all of the controls have sucked.

I am a sucker and Street Fighter is a day one buy for me.  I hope they add additional "final challengers," even if they are paid DLC.  Give me two big name characters retro fitted to SF2 style and two new characters and I'd be happy to plop down $20.  It would also be great if the game gets a physical release and a $40 price tag.

esadajr

This is gonna be rough. Most of the launch games are already available on other platforms, 1-2 Switch is a lame attempt at being innovative. Breath of the Wild looks promising but it was made with the Wii U in mind and will also be available for the Wii U. The only one I'm looking forward to play is Bomberman, hopefully that one will be enough to keep busy for a couple months.
Gaming since 1985

Gredler

Quote from: esadajr on 02/08/2017, 10:46 AMThis is gonna be rough. Most of the launch games are already available on other platforms, 1-2 Switch is a lame attempt at being innovative. Breath of the Wild looks promising but it was made with the Wii U in mind and will also be available for the Wii U. The only one I'm looking forward to play is Bomberman, hopefully that one will be enough to keep busy for a couple months.
Agreed.

I might cancel my pre-order on this. I picked it up hoping a third party or two would chime in with a unique launch game (I'll always remember the fun I had with my first exposure to Mr Driller at the DS launch, or Zombie-U on Wii U, even before party minigame collections got over saturated Rayman Raving Rabbids gave me a good unique experience with the system. This is just some obscure ones, not even talking about the great launch lineups like the Dreamcast etc

Right now the only game besides bomberman 'd be interested in playing is I am Setsuna is something, but I could play that on my PS4 and buy a vita which I've been meaning to do anyways.

I am Setsun - PS4/Vita
Bomberman
Zelda - Wii U

and what else? I am not spending 40$+ on 1-2 switch, or PuyoPuyo Tetris.

Does this system remind you guys of the Saturn's strategy?

LostFlunky

Quote from: Gredler on 02/08/2017, 12:56 PMDoes this system remind you guys of the Saturn's strategy?
Hate to say it  - but it is actually worse!  Saturn was released suddenly (check), to only a few retailers (check - Switch pre-orders), at a high price point (check) BUT... ...where else were you going to play VIRTUA FIGHTER and DAYTONA?  I would put Panzer in that too, but only in hindsight.  At the time Panzer Dragoon was not a game people were salivating over...

Zelda might outrank both those titles today, but it will be available for the Wii U as well...  Instead of spending $500 (CDN) on launch day, maybe I'll spend just $80 on the Wii U title...

esadajr

Done. Just cancelled my preorder. It is sad being able to afford it but not being worth it. I'll just get the Zelda game for WiiU and be done with Nintendo.

Agreed on the Saturn. It makes look the Saturn launch brilliant. The US Saturn launch only had six titles, but it had variety, a platformer, a racing, a rail shooter, a fighting and two sports games.
Gaming since 1985

jlued686

I don't know, man. I think you might be jumping the gun. Yeah, the day one launch doesn't look great, outside of Zelda and Bomberman (though I'll be buying Snipperclips, too). But very quickly they'll be releasing Puyo Puyo Tetris, Mario Kart 8 Dx, Arms, and Splatoon 2.

I wasn't at all excited about Arms, but Nintendo of Japan just released two videos today that made the game look super fun.
IMG

To me, the launch day looks better than PS4's was. All I played on that damn thing for months was Resogun. Launches these days are all about having patience. ;)

NecroPhile

Please tell me they constantly yell "Bravo!" at each other.
Ultimate Forum Bully/Thief/Saboteur/Clone Warrior! BURN IN HELL NECROPHUCK!!!

jlued686

Oh man! How funny would it be if they put out a Bravoman character as DLC?

munchiaz

Heres a video of the UI from someone who got there hands on a Switch early. Not bad UI
https://vid.me/oQkO

Otaking

Otaking

SuperGrafx

Exciting stuff.
Glad I got a pre-order in last month.

GaijinD

Feel like a treasure game on a rainy day.

Otaking

Dicer

JoshTurboTrollX

Jossshhhhh...Legendary TurboTrollX-16: He revenge-bans PCE Developers/Ys IV Localizers from PCE Facebook groups and destroyed 2 PC Engine groups: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook, then the other by Aaron Nanto!!! Josh and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together! Both times he blamed the Aarons and their staff in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner (extortion!), never himself nor his deranged, destructive, toxic turbo troll gang!

ChuChu Flamingo

I look forward to seeing the inevitable durability test people will do on these.

Flare65

I know a lot of people are excited about the Switch, but I'm just not interested in it yet.  The launch line up is very underwhelming.  Zelda is a port of a Wii U game that was completed a year ago, and the same experience is going to be available on the Wii U anyway.

The first killer app game for this system looks like the new Mario game that comes out in the fall.  Its gonna take 12 months for the good games for it to start coming out.

TheClash603

So what's the final count of people getting a Switch?  I'll have to get mine at the midnight launch because Nintendo handhelds have been my crack since the OG Gameboy.

jlued686

I'm in! Preordered mine and am picking it up at midnight.

TR0N

I'm still not getting a switch at this point.There's not enough on the console currently for it's launch to interest me.Beside i'm just gonna buy zelda botw for the wii-u so i'm good at this point.Maybe later on buying,nintendo switch but not right now.
IMG

Otaking

I've got a Switch console with Zelda preordered at Amazon.
Still not sure whether to cancel or not. Amazon won't take payment until it actually ships so at the moment I can very easily back out.
The reason I'm not sure is because the Switch is not for me, I'm buying it to give to my kids. I'm trying to gauge whether they actually want one or not. They've had and loved every Nintendo home and handheld console since the Wii and DS, but they don't seem that excited for the Switch.

If I do get one I'll probably add Bomberman R as Bomberman 5 on the Super Famicom is one of my daughter's favourite games.

Michirin9801

Quote from: Otaking on 02/27/2017, 09:00 AMIf I do get one I'll probably add Bomberman R as Bomberman 5 on the Super Famicom is one of my daughter's favourite games.
She's got a good taste!

Arkhan Asylum

IM GOING TO GET ONE BECAUSE IM A PIECE OF SHIT.

This "max-level forum psycho" (:lol:) destroyed TWO PC Engine groups in rage: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook "Because Chris 'Shadowland' Runyon!," then the other by Aaron Nanto "Because Le NightWolve!" Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together... Both times he blamed the Aarons in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged, destructive, toxic turbo troll gang!

Digi.k

Might wait till the end of the month for mine... possible end of april.

Gredler

I still have my pre-order for a neon switch and master edition of zelda, but I am probably going to flip it like t.bone with a homebrew - I could really use the money with the upcoming wedding and if someone wants to pay a premium to not wait for them to be redily available and have a special edition of zelda, I feel like I should take advantage of that while I can.

My only question is, how do you sell on ebay??? I've only traded stuff on forums, and given trash away on craigslist. :/ Might not be worth the trouble, but if I can easily figure it out and make a couple hundred dollars, that'd be cash to tip the DJ with at the wedding.. worth it for those cut rugs.

Dicer

Quote from: Gredler on 02/27/2017, 06:35 PMI still have my pre-order for a neon switch and master edition of zelda, but I am probably going to flip it like t.bone with a homebrew - I could really use the money with the upcoming wedding and if someone wants to pay a premium to not wait for them to be redily available and have a special edition of zelda, I feel like I should take advantage of that while I can.

My only question is, how do you sell on ebay??? I've only traded stuff on forums, and given trash away on craigslist. :/ Might not be worth the trouble, but if I can easily figure it out and make a couple hundred dollars, that'd be cash to tip the DJ with at the wedding.. worth it for those cut rugs.
If you are be a scummy flipper, just use the craigslist and avoid e-bay fees, maximize the scummmmmmmmmmm

Good luck on the flip, demand seems pretty high.

jtucci31

Quote from: Gredler on 02/27/2017, 06:35 PMI still have my pre-order for a neon switch and master edition of zelda, but I am probably going to flip it like t.bone with a homebrew - I could really use the money with the upcoming wedding and if someone wants to pay a premium to not wait for them to be redily available and have a special edition of zelda, I feel like I should take advantage of that while I can.

Trade you a turbo express for your switch :wink:

TheClash603

Quote from: guest on 02/27/2017, 04:08 PMIM GOING TO GET ONE BECAUSE IM A PIECE OF SHIT.
Not sure why, but I laughed my ass off when I read this.  Maybe because it's true...

Dicer

Nintendo killed it with the indies today...

Gredler

Quote from: guest on 02/27/2017, 11:47 PMTrade you a turbo express for your switch :wink:
If I could then trade it to the DJ at my wedding for his services, or to the photographer for hers, I might take you up on the offer.

To be honest, I'll probably open it and experience it - get that new console release boner satiated - then box it back up and sell it at cost to a coworker like I did my NES Classic; I am too paranoid to do a big money transaction on craigslist, and I don't know whats up with Ebay selling and will probably end up in the red if I go that rout via a scam or mistake. Also, so many people I Work with want these things, but somehow can't get ahold of them and think ebay is their only option.

Quote from: Dicer on 02/28/2017, 12:35 PMNintendo killed it with the indies today...
Killing it? No Henshin-Engine makes me think they were killed - HE OR GTFO - That's a real indie! Most of those games are the medium size companies that everyone said "died due to AAA companies and market trends". Indie is such a strange loose moniker. In my opinion, an indie is a group of dudes doing it out of pocket for the love of it, not a medium-small corporation/company.

/end rant

Whatever these games DO look fricken  rad Some of those games are probably things I would buy - the advanced wars knockoff, retro city rampage knockoff, and strange death adventure platformer all look really really good.

Few of those are Switch exclusives, so I would not call them system sellers as much as system incentives, but that being said I would love to get into a game, take it with me to work and play it at lunch for a bit, or on the ride if I am not the one driving in the car pool, the on the couch while my lady watches her shows, and then pop it on the tv to continue after that - seems really nice.

I do plan on getting a switch; my fiance has insisted I keep my preorder, but the ferver and likelyhood to get another down the road make me hesitant to keep it (and I also just can't/shouldn't spend the money right now.)

The platform differences on Zelda are starting the surface, and danmit I wish they weren't cause it's making me think I would rather play the better version.

IMG

The texture resolution is clearly different in this shot (blurry surface detail); and people are saying there are generally less lights per surface, less particle systems in general, and other knocks to quality.

However, if you notice the grass around the log, the art team has used the blurry textures to their advantage is some places which looks worse at a crisper texture resolution - making me think they may've rushed a "high res texture pack" into the game to make some surfaces (log, brick wall) look better at the sacrifice of some things artistry (aforementioned grass)

I will wait for a nice comprehensive comparison, but danm being portable might not be the only difference between the two.

wildfruit

Still no. Still not enough to generate an interest. Still stupid price for a pro controller. I'm going to guess a Christmas bundle with the mario game for the same price will happen. That's more appealing. When PS3 launched it was £425 on its own. The next summer deals for same price could be had with 2 games & 2 dual shocks. I'm going to sit out for a bit. Breath of the wild Wii U beckons.

Medic_wheat

For me the next Zelda game is a Wii U game. It was designed with the Wii U in mind. The Switch is just a port. It was never designed firm the ground up for the Switch so the art direction and abilities the newer system would have allowed the game to take advantage of are not a concern to me.

It's not like the Shadow of Mordor game that came out for the PS3/4. Where due to hardware limitations they could not implement key game play functionality to the older system.

Strider77

Gredler

Mine just shipped. My fiance is getting excited about it; not sure why lol.

If we keep it we'll get Zelda and SnipperClips.