10/31/2023: Localization News - Dead of the Brain 1!

No, NOT a trick, a Halloween treat! Presenting the Dead of the Brain 1 English patch by David Shadoff for the DEAD last official PC Engine CD game published by NEC before exiting the console biz in 1999! I helped edit/betatest and it's also a game I actually finished in 2023, yaaay! Shubibiman also did a French localization. github.com/dshadoff/DeadoftheBrain
twitter.com/NightWolve/PCENews
Main Menu

NES classic

Started by dallaspattern, 11/12/2016, 12:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sirhcman

Quote from: esadajr on 11/16/2016, 05:15 PM
Quote from: csgx1 on 11/16/2016, 03:53 PMhttps://www.yahoo.com/news/walmart-chance-buy-nes-classic-every-day-week-233249346.html

Walmart is supposedly going to sell them online everyday this week at 5pm ET. 
This just happened to a buddy of mine. He was able to add it to the cart but got this when trying to checkout: "Your item isn't available for pickup or delivery to 46356. See details below.
Please save it for later or ship to a different ZIP Code."

Also happened to another friend in Texas.

I wonder which zip codes are allowed to buy this hard to manufacture advanced piece of tech.
It just means it out of stock to ship online and not available for local pickup in said zip code stores. I got the same error message yesterday

technozombie

If there is any input lag it is likely from the TV. There are several websites that rank TVs based on response time. A good response time was one of the main things I was looking for when I purchased a new TV earlier in the year.

esadajr

Quote from: guest on 11/16/2016, 06:28 PM
Quote from: esadajr on 11/16/2016, 05:15 PM
Quote from: csgx1 on 11/16/2016, 03:53 PMhttps://www.yahoo.com/news/walmart-chance-buy-nes-classic-every-day-week-233249346.html

Walmart is supposedly going to sell them online everyday this week at 5pm ET. 
This just happened to a buddy of mine. He was able to add it to the cart but got this when trying to checkout: "Your item isn't available for pickup or delivery to 46356. See details below.
Please save it for later or ship to a different ZIP Code."

Also happened to another friend in Texas.

I wonder which zip codes are allowed to buy this hard to manufacture advanced piece of tech.
It just means it out of stock to ship online and not available for local pickup in said zip code stores. I got the same error message yesterday
Makes sense. Though I prefer the conspiracy theory. goverrats
Gaming since 1985

Bloufo

Bloufo

Anyone else here try to get extra games on this thing?

I followed the guide that's out there, and to start off with I tested it with one NES rom file -Castlevania III, just to see if this hack works as advertised. It does. No problems. Cover art and all.

IMG

When I get a chance I'll see which of the original 30 to remove and which others to add. No point in keeping games on there I know I'm not going to play, especially seeing as currently (this may change soon, though) there's a limit on there as to how many can be added.

DragonmasterDan

Quote from: Bloufo on 01/09/2017, 07:14 AMWhen I get a chance I'll see which of the original 30 to remove and which others to add. No point in keeping games on there I know I'm not going to play, especially seeing as currently (this may change soon, though) there's a limit on there as to how many can be added.
Is that the NES advantage-like stick that requires a convertor to work with the NES classic?
--DragonmasterDan

Bloufo

Quote from: DragonmasterDan on 01/09/2017, 09:49 AM
Quote from: Bloufo on 01/09/2017, 07:14 AMWhen I get a chance I'll see which of the original 30 to remove and which others to add. No point in keeping games on there I know I'm not going to play, especially seeing as currently (this may change soon, though) there's a limit on there as to how many can be added.
Is that the NES advantage-like stick that requires a convertor to work with the NES classic?
Yeah, but not the "Version 2" of it. That one works right out the box with the Classic. No adapter/convertor needed.

It's a good stick. The recall was only because of the initial batch not working with the mini-NES.

SuperDeadite

So just tried the latest version of the hack.  Worked on my first try on my Famicom Mini.  Yay, I can finally play StarTropics like the rest of the world. :)
Stronger Than Your Average Deadite

Medic_wheat

Yeah heard of this hack the day it was released.

Granted it doesn't affect me due to the lack of having a mini.

And I am not sure when I'd bother to get one

From what I hear it isn't confirmed how many Roma can be added internally to the NES mini. But the videos that are or show about 21 extra games added.

This might have changed or be been confirmed as I haven't kept up to date with it since it's initial media coverage.

SuperDeadite

The amount of games you can add is determined based on the Game Save States.  If you want to have all games being able to use 4 save state files at the same time, 32 games is the limit, any more and you get error messages.

If you don't intend to use every single save state block, you can add more.  97 seems to be the magic number.  But be aware, the emulator this thing uses is kinda crap, and a lot of games will have issues.  I wanted to add Zoda's Revenge, but it can't get past the Name Input screen.  Battletoads will always freeze on the 2nd stage.  It's due to the emulator, not the hack.

I'd say until more testing is done, and compatibility is confirmed, go slowly and only add games you intend to actually play-through.

Medic_wheat

I think if a everdrive had the type of GUI the NES mini has for each game rom I'd be happy there.

Otaking

The Famicom mini in a Gameboy shell.

IMG
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=86jH2UQmvKY&t=812s
Quote from: some block off youtubeIn one episode, Dodongo c-walks out of a convenience store with a 40 at 7:40 AM, steals an arcade machine from an auction, haggles in Spanish for a stuffed papa smurf to use as a sex toy, and buys Secret of Mana for a dollar.

crazydean

Quote from: Medic_wheat on 01/09/2017, 08:03 PMI think if a everdrive had the type of GUI the NES mini has for each game rom I'd be happy there.
That would be nice. I would really like to see box art before playing a game, but it's minor considering what the everdrive can do.

Gredler

Quote from: crazydean on 01/10/2017, 01:09 PM
Quote from: Medic_wheat on 01/09/2017, 08:03 PMI think if a everdrive had the type of GUI the NES mini has for each game rom I'd be happy there.
That would be nice. I would really like to see box art before playing a game, but it's minor considering what the everdrive can do.
The emulation the classic does is a lot better than other options, isn't it? My NES looks like garbage on my tvs (except for my 4k for some reason)

Medic_wheat

Quote from: Gredler on 01/10/2017, 08:37 PM
The emulation the classic does is a lot better than other options, isn't it? My NES looks like garbage on my tvs (except for my 4k for some reason)
All depends what mods if any you have on the original NES to play on your setup. With the hdmi mod for the NES and many other systems such as he N64 and GameCube I think emulators will become more obsolete as well as retro clone systems.

ToyMachine78

My NES and Atari look great on my LED. The 16bit consoles look like complete garbitch though.

TheClash603

Is Nintendo still making more of these?  I'd like to get my hands on one, but still have not seen it for sale.

I heard Nintendo had a financial report stating they sold through all 200,000 they originally made.  They probably could've made five times as many and sold them for $20 more and still sold through.

DeshDildo

From what I've read the emulation is good but not perfect.  There are reports of some games not working properly.  Mainly MMC5 games with battery backed ram.  I will always prefer real hardware even modded.  I already have an NES I RGB modded but I ordered one of Kevtris' HDMi kits since I know my 2 Trinitron's won't last forever.

As far as image quality on your TV's it all comes done to the built in upscaler of the TV and how it interprets the signal.  My RGB NES (which I am outputting S-vid), S-vid modded Master System and S-vid modded Genesis look better on my Trinitrons.  However, my bone stock composite Turbo Duo, and Gamecube with component cables looks better on my older Panasonic plasma.
"You CAN'T prove Nulltard/DoxPhile caused ANY harm/damage/sabotage to PCEFX!! You have NO evidence he poached ANY members for his own failed PC Engine forum/site or was a conniving destructive saboteur! ZERO, ZIP, NADA!!! Nulltard did nothing wrong!"

Bloufo

I hadn't been following the latest updates but I see that one can now put the full NES library into the unit.

... too many to select from. I would never be able to choose what to play. ;p

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2017/01/new_hack_offers_a_full_game_library_on_your_nes_classic_edition

SuperDeadite

Yeah the Mini is getting better and better.  Besides having an almost unlimited amount of games now, the silly Nintendo anti-epileptic filter can be disabled, and you can even program a key combo to turn on auto-fire.  Of course many games like Crisis Force will probably never work on it, the FM emulation is a bit off, and no cool extras like 3D Goggles.  But, as a parent with young children who aren't ready to play with the real deal, the $60 I spent on the unit was an excellent deal.

NE146

I'm happy with my regular NES with an Everdrive with composite to a CRT (i.e. the way it's always been) but that doesn't stop me from wanting the Classic as well. I would be glad to spend the $60 (heck I'd buy two at this point).. if only we could find it in stores. :)

SuperDeadite

Just added the Sweet Home English Translation to my FamiMini, so far works perfectly.  Yay!

Bloufo

RetroArch on the NES mini,

esadajr

What we suspected since the beginning, a small linux system.
Gaming since 1985

Gredler

I picked one of these up from bestbuy, and like the console but hate the fact it uses wii controllers. USB controllers would've been significantly more incentivizing to keep it, but a co-worker is very interested so I'll let him have it so he doesn't have to submit to "going value" to get it now instead of 3-4 months from now.

I played it quite a bit last night, good hour or so, castlevania and zelda were fun to run around in a bit, but I'd definitely hack the teeth out of this to play the games I've not played 100 times using it as a emulation box, and at that point I might as well just use my laptop or build a retropie since that's basically what this is.

edit:
And I went ahead and sold it to a coworker.

Ironically With CA tax it came out 64.64 LOL

KnightWarrior

I got 1 on Day 1

Don't regret it at ll

esadajr

I don't regret it either, it's just sort of unusable to me. Nice "I admit it" item though.
Gaming since 1985

esteban

Quote from: esadajr on 02/20/2017, 11:41 AMI don't regret it either, it's just sort of unusable to me. Nice "I admit it" item though.
Dude, I'll buy yours. I want one.

My kids and I play NES on a small monitor at my desk, but it would be fun to see HDMI on HDTV.

I'm curious about how it actually looks/plays on modern TV.
IMGIMG IMG  |  IMG  |  IMG IMG

Dicer

I'd own one if scalpers haven't beaten me to the punch each and every fucking time...

esteban

Quote from: Dicer on 02/20/2017, 11:52 AMI'd own one if scalpers haven't beaten me to the punch each and every fucking time...
I haven't even looked in a month.

How has Nintendo not been able to pump out some more? What the heck?

Dicer

Quote from: esteban on 02/20/2017, 11:54 AM
Quote from: Dicer on 02/20/2017, 11:52 AMI'd own one if scalpers haven't beaten me to the punch each and every fucking time...
I haven't even looked in a month.

How has Nintendo not been able to pump out some more? What the heck?
Even when a good stock comes in, one asshat comes in and buys the lot, CL is covered in them around here...
I'm gonna go vigilante soon and setup a meeting and beat the ever loving shit out of these fools.

seieienbu

I was at a small time mostly-used video game chain, Game Trade, because a friend of mine told me they had two of these in stock.  I dropped what I was doing and went over there.  The girl at the counter said "It's $139."  I gave an angry "WHAT!?" and then just walked out.  That's not even cheaper than ebay rates at this point.  I've been trying to get one for my sister since she asked me for one for Christmas.  I'd laugh it off otherwise but I still refuse to pay that much for something with a $60 MSRP.
Current want list:  Bomberman 93

esteban

Quote from: seieienbu on 02/20/2017, 06:55 PMI was at a small time mostly-used video game chain, Game Trade, because a friend of mine told me they had two of these in stock.  I dropped what I was doing and went over there.  The girl at the counter said "It's $139."  I gave an angry "WHAT!?" and then just walked out.  That's not even cheaper than ebay rates at this point.  I've been trying to get one for my sister since she asked me for one for Christmas.  I'd laugh it off otherwise but I still refuse to pay that much for something with a $60 MSRP.
Yeah, at this point I'm just going to wait until the price is $60.

Psycho Punch

Nintendo finally figured out how to weaponize NintendoAge style collectardism.
This Toxic Turbo Turd/Troll & Clone Warrior calls himself "Burning Fight!!" on Neo-Geo.com
For a good time, reach out to: aleffrenan94@gmail.com or punchballmariobros@gmail.com
Like DildoKobold, dildos are provided free of charge, no need to bring your own! :lol:
He also ran scripts to steal/clone this forum which blew up the error logs!
I had to delete THOUSANDS of error log entries cause of this nutcase!
how_to_spell_ys_sign_origin_ver.webp

SignOfZeta

I don't see what Nintendo has to do with it. They aren't the ones profiting $100 per unit. They've kept MSRP the same and are even now increasing the supply. There are just...a lot of Nintendorks and a lot of lazy fat pieces of crap who think that "waiting outside of Target before they open" is a job.
IMG

TheClash603

Do you think Nintendo is kicking themselves over not setting the price at $80?  It assuredly would've sold out immediately still and would've been an easy couple million dollars for Nintendo.  They are in a tough spot for the inevitable SNES Classic, will there be backlash with a price increase, even though demand indicates one is reasonable?

I'd rather they had knocked up the NES Classic price $20 which was well received and knocked down the Switch Pro Controller by $20, as the price of the controller has been blasted by pretty much everyone.  Would end up costing me the same in the end though I suppose...

Dicer

Quote from: TheClash603 on 02/21/2017, 12:01 AMDo you think Nintendo is kicking themselves over not setting the price at $80?  It assuredly would've sold out immediately still and would've been an easy couple million dollars for Nintendo.  They are in a tough spot for the inevitable SNES Classic, will there be backlash with a price increase, even though demand indicates one is reasonable?

I'd rather they had knocked up the NES Classic price $20 which was well received and knocked down the Switch Pro Controller by $20, as the price of the controller has been blasted by pretty much everyone.  Would end up costing me the same in the end though I suppose...
The NES classics internals do not justify another $20 so a bump to 50 games perhaps would have offset the cost. Controllers are expensive all around these days and the extra hardware needed for HD rumble etc is justified to the cost.

I think they just needed to do a better job keeping with demand.

gheebee

I don't know about everyone else but while waiting for these to become readily available so I can buy one for MSRP I have pretty much lost interest in owning one of these. The shortage annoyed me and still kind of does, but in the end it may have saved me $60. :]

SignOfZeta

Geez, you're a fickle little baby, aren't you?
IMG

jperryss

Quote from: Dicer on 02/21/2017, 10:27 AMI think they just needed to do a better job keeping with demand.
Nintendo chose not to keep up with demand because it drives the hype machine. They did it with the Wii, and then that ripoff Super Mario Bros collection that was just the SNES rom on a disc, and then with the Amiibo stuff. Push it out right before the holidays in small supply, ride the hype wave, and trickle shipments out for the next 6-12 months. Every time.

And I hate to be that person, but a RetroPie is a far more capable setup anyway. My sister wanted a NES Classic but couldn't find one. $75 for a full Pi kit including TWO controllers without stupidly short cords, and took me about an hour to setup.

gheebee

Quote from: SignOfZeta on 02/21/2017, 10:47 AMGeez, you're a fickle little baby, aren't you?
I guess. For me this was a novelty item and the novelty of the item wore off before I had a chance to buy one.

NE146

I was able to pick up an NES classic earlier this month (2/9/17).. they are getting stocked once or twice a week at local Targets. You just have to watch brickseek.com and be at the store maybe 30 minutes before they open. You no longer have to line up at 6am I don't think. :p It is what it is at this point.

Regarding retropie, I love it but I have to say it was hard for me to set up.. I won't bother going into details (e.g. trying to connect to wireless threw me for a loop for days until I realized it was defaulted to a UK keyboard layout  :lol:) Also the pure finickiness of FBA as to what roms would work with it.. I had to find a near complete set and then fix with clrmamepro, which was a real pain.  But yeah it's great.  I wouldn't put it anywhere near the NES Classic though unless the only thing you're looking forward to is "playing games".. because the NES Classic's draw to me is that it's 1) mfg by Nintendo 2) boxed and 3) looks like a mini NES. :)

crazydean

So, I'm gonna be that guy and ask about lag. How does it compare to the Wii U virtual console or R Pi or Framemeister or OSSC?

My TV hates 480i/p and does a shit job at minimizing lag. For this reason, I can run some emulators on my PC which upscale to 1080p very smoothly, but I wouldn't dream of playing an actual console.

NE146

At the end of the day it's pretty subjective I think how it affects you..  but I can try to go to Mr. Dream (ugh) on a real NES on a CRT tv and dodge punches.. then try the same thing on the Classic running on an hdtv.  Why not. :) Will report back later

SignOfZeta

Quote from: gheebee on 02/21/2017, 11:52 AM
Quote from: SignOfZeta on 02/21/2017, 10:47 AMGeez, you're a fickle little baby, aren't you?
I guess. For me this was a novelty item and the novelty of the item wore off before I had a chance to buy one.
Good. Now maybe I can get one.
IMG

esteban

I still want one, not that I need it, but I am curious about it.

I mean, I have a bunch of "extra" consoles (multiple versions of PCE, Famicom, etc)... which is redundant but fun :)

...so, clearly, I am going to get NES Classic  eventually.

seieienbu

Quote from: esteban on 03/08/2017, 05:49 PMI still want one, not that I need it, but I am curious about it.

I mean, I have a bunch of "extra" consoles (multiple versions of PCE, Famicom, etc)... which is redundant but fun :)

...so, clearly, I am going to get NES Classic  eventually.
Something tells me that you should get it new when you can.  I have no intention of buying one through a scalper and I don't expect Nintendo to keep making them forever.
Current want list:  Bomberman 93

esadajr

It was just a publicity stunt. After the Switch they're swimming in $ so they can be as arrogant as they want.
Gaming since 1985

sirhcman

Is anyone really surprised? I'm not.. disappointed though, I wanted a system. Their excuse for discontinuing the system is terrible too

http://www.polygon.com/2017/4/13/15293030/nes-classic-edition-discontinued

Medic_wheat

Yeah it always felt like something to keep the company relevant in the media while the Switch was still been kept a secrete as far as design and specs.

It kept people talking about Nidnento and shifted focus away from the WiiU.

Now that the Switch is out and getting positive feedback in sales Nintendo can drop all pretense of interest and focus on three NES Classic.

If I stumble on one for retail I might get it. If not fuck it. It's not something my gaming set up needs.