@GTV reviews the Cosmic Fantasy 1-2 Switch collection by Edia, provides examples of the poor English editing/localization work. It's much worse for CF1. Rated "D" for disappointment, finding that TurboGrafx CF2 is better & while CF1's the real draw, Edia screwed it up...
Main Menu

Battle Princess Madelyn [PC/PS4/XBOX], MonsterBath Studios (Chris/LoboDaMainMan)

Started by NightWolve, 04/16/2017, 06:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NightWolve

[2020]

https://www.monsterbathstudios.com/ (New company name, au revoir to Causal Bit Games)

[December 6, 2018]

https://store.steampowered.com/app/603930/Battle_Princess_Madelyn/

[April 16, 2017]

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/causalbitgames/battle-princess-madelyn

IMG

BOSS!!!!!

Wanted to plug Chris Obritsch's 2nd indie game since Insanity's Blade which you might remember here. It also ran a Kickstarter which...WOW, I'm amazed to report closed out at $212,665 CAD/$159,663 USD this past Friday, smashing all stretch goals... Hard to believe, and it's still a 2-man team primarily, Chris Obritsch and Daven (Chris mostly on art/design, Daven on coding)!

Durrr, I did want to plug this earlier when the KickStarter was actually active, but just didn't get a chance... :( I also didn't get to contribute/pay-in either, my PayPal account is locked because they're trying to force me to delete TurboRip from my website... Feel a little bummed I didn't resolve that, but this project certainly didn't need my help!!! Pretty historic how he rose from RIGG, our defunct PC Engine group circa 2001-2003, and made it to the big leagues!! Anyway, I'll buy the PC version when it comes out at least!

About the game: It's obviously making good use of Capcom's Ghouls'n'Ghosts legacy as you can tell right away, and why not, if Capcom isn't doing much with it anymore, right ? ;)

Chris has kind of a cheesy story to go along about how this came to be: His daughter Madelyn loved to watch him play Ghouls'n'Ghosts over and over on the good ole NEC SuperGrafx (How about that ?), specifically, she liked to see him beat the first boss, who she calls "Green Head," and one day she said she wanted to be IN the game which led to him offering to make her a character in one! :) It's named after her naturally, future dad of the year award recipient right here, am I right ?

Well, I guess that's good enough of a primer, I'll leave the videos and screenshots to do the rest of the talking and they DO a lot of talking. The promotional buzz around this was pretty noticeable and explains the great success he had this time around compared to Insanity's Blade KS when he was just entering the indie videogame scene!
IMG
IMG
IMG
IMG
IMG
IMG
IMG

As you can plainly see, they've gotten A LOT better compared to their first game, haven't they ???

Review(s):

wayback.epicbrew.net/2018/his-daughter-didnt-think-girls-could-be-knights-so-he-made-a-game-where-shes-the-hero/

The SuperGrafx version that inspired it all:

https://www.pcengine-fx.com/reviews/duomazov/daimakaimura-ghouls-n-ghosts.html

NightWolve

Addendum: Chris is gonna be needing experienced coders for some of the ports of the game. I offered up a few known names of our talent pool here, but FYI to anybody else. The team obviously has serious scratch to spend given the massive success of the Kickstarter to get it done right, so experienced talent is needed to be able to commit to such a project and deliver competent results...

Quote from: Christopher ObritschI'm looking for someone who if I tossed money at them could port the game in a timely fashion
Quote from: NightWolveWhat platform do you need a port for ?
Quote from: Christopher Obritschgenesis/sega cd preferably
pce cd
snes
neogeo
dreamcast is fine
So coders needed for the above retro platforms.

nectarsis

My Blogger profile with all my blogs of wonderment:
blogger.com/profile/08066967226239965436

NecroPhile

Looks pretty good, cute too..... but a Turbob port?!?  I'd love that.
Ultimate Forum Bully/Thief/Saboteur/Clone Warrior! BURN IN HELL NECROPHUCK!!!

NightWolve

I don't think they ever imagined this kind of massive success with the Kickstarter, but now that it happened, I'm a little worried Capcom might take more notice... With the kind of dough it made, odds are a lot higher versus some random fan/mod work slapped together...

But anyway, those graphics look f*cking fantastic, I dunno how they got THAT good, they look like Capcom artists and coders! Super Ghouls'n'Ghosts times 10!!

Medic_wheat

I too backed this project. I was very impressed with the sprite work and tie in with the guy's daughter.

I opted for the player tier.  Wanted a physical copy.

What's this about a TG-16 port?

NightWolve

Just as you see above, he's interested in porting it to some of the retro platforms listed if he can find the talent for it, so I offered up names he might not know about and we'll see if that can ever happen down the road. The call has been put out, so if you possibly have any contacts with professional game developers with a respectable resume/experience, you can point them at this team's direction.

FYI: Added a link to the Steam demo. Steam system needs to be installed to play it, though.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/603930

seieienbu

Quote from: NightWolve on 04/17/2017, 06:50 PMI don't think they ever imagined this kind of massive success with the Kickstarter, but now that it happened, I'm a little worried Capcom might take more notice... With the kind of dough it made, odds are a lot higher versus some random fan/mod work slapped together...
To me, this game looks like it's taken ideas from Ghouls n Ghosts but hardly looks to be so derivative that Capcom could sue.  It seems like a wonderful homage to an old favorite Capcom game and I doubt it would have the same fate as, say, AM2R and Nintendo's copyright/cease and desist over Metroid 2.

On the one hand I'd like to try the demo.  But on the other?  I think I'll just look forward to playing this game on release when it is the full version.
Current want list:  Bomberman 93

Johnpv

I think this looks great, it almost got me to break my kickstarter rule.  I'm not kickstarting any other games till the ones I've already kickstarted have actually shipped.  Glad it destroyed its kickstarter goal and I will definitely be buying it when it ships.

NightWolve

Quote from: seieienbu on 04/20/2017, 02:53 AM
Quote from: NightWolve on 04/17/2017, 06:50 PMI don't think they ever imagined this kind of massive success with the Kickstarter, but now that it happened, I'm a little worried Capcom might take more notice... With the kind of dough it made, odds are a lot higher versus some random fan/mod work slapped together...
To me, this game looks like it's taken ideas from Ghouls n Ghosts but hardly looks to be so derivative that Capcom could sue.  It seems like a wonderful homage to an old favorite Capcom game and I doubt it would have the same fate as, say, AM2R and Nintendo's copyright/cease and desist over Metroid 2.
Yeah, that's about what Chris said when I voiced some concern. Let's hope so.

elmer

Quote from: NightWolve on 04/23/2017, 06:58 PMYeah, that's about what Chris said when I voiced some concern. Let's hope so.
I think that he's right. It looks like the game is "inspired-by", and isn't a copy, and doesn't use any of Capcom's characters or IP, so I don't think that there's any cause for concern.

They're doing a nice job, it looks like a fun game.

NightWolve

IMG

So...I purchased Battle Princess Madelyn ($20) with my GOG account today as general practice over Steam. I did learn Steam has an offline mode, but I do prefer the no-strings GOG installer executable model better where possible.

Well, my 8bitdo SNES GamePad is recharged, game is installed (man, installation so fast on nice new SSD drives, love it!) let's see when I take this for a spin! :)

Mishran

GOG is the only way to go. Valve can shove Steam and DRM up their posterior cavities. I've got 266 GOG titles and counting. Love their sales events. Find some real gems for $5.00 and less. Ok, sorry... back on topic. :-"