10/31/2023: Localization News - Dead of the Brain 1!

No, NOT a trick, a Halloween treat! Presenting the Dead of the Brain 1 English patch by David Shadoff for the DEAD last official PC Engine CD game published by NEC before exiting the console biz in 1999! I helped edit/betatest and it's also a game I actually finished in 2023, yaaay! Shubibiman also did a French localization. github.com/dshadoff/DeadoftheBrain
twitter.com/NightWolve/PCENews
Main Menu

New Member/PCE owner

Started by zetastrike, 05/09/2017, 03:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

zetastrike

Hi PCEFX,

I'm a 25 year old oncology information system analyst.  The PCE has always been one of those consoles that I've always admired, but emulation never cut the mustard.  Last week, I found an auction from a US seller for a boxed Duo-R.  I got outbid by $5.  So the next morning I found a BIN listing from a US seller that was only a few dollars more than the winning bid from the previous night, so I finally took the plunge and got my first PCE.  I got it today and just spent an hour taking it for a spin.  I currently have one game, Gradius II, with Space Harrier on the way.  I'm loving it.  I figured now that I own one, it's as good a time as any to join this board.

IMG
IMG
IMG

esteban

Welcome, comrade. :)

Gradius II is an excellent game.

I think Space Harrier is a damn fun port, too.

You should be happy with those two for awhile.
IMGIMG IMG  |  IMG  |  IMG IMG

NecroPhile

Ultimate Forum Bully/Thief/Saboteur/Clone Warrior! BURN IN HELL NECROPHUCK!!!

crazydean

Welcome! Have you played any games besides those before?

RNSpeed

zetastrike

Quote from: crazydean on 05/09/2017, 05:17 PMWelcome! Have you played any games besides those before?
I've had mednafen for about a year and spent some time with Outrun, Jackie Chan, Bonk 1, and Soldier Blade.  I also have the PSP Castlevania disc that has Dracula X on it, but I've been reluctant to get into that since I didn't want to ruin it if I ever got a real PCE.  Plan on getting an Everdrive sometime in the future, before I amass too many hucards.  I would have loved to get Outrun from the same ebay seller, but >$50 was too much after everything else I spent.

This was one of those cases where the emulator convinced me to get the real hardware.  The Atari 8 bit is the only other time that happened. 

But yeah, I don't have too many consoles left on my bucket list now.  Maybe just the Colecovision or MSX or ST.

crazydean

I assume you already have the Jaguar CD.

zetastrike

Quote from: crazydean on 05/09/2017, 07:46 PMI assume you already have the Jaguar CD.
Nah, I only buy things I expect to get enjoyment and value out of.

majors

Quote from: zetastrike on 05/09/2017, 08:35 PM... I only buy things I expect to get enjoyment and value out of.
This guy is on the right path...anti-collectard.

I'm the worst on the knowing current prices, but Outrun should not be $50. I'm sure a FS: thread here will have a copy for less. Also, do not pass on Victory Run...it has some goodness inside once you figure out the driving mechanics.
TG/PCE Collection.
"Booze should be a choice, not a privilege" -KCDC (The FP)

Warbucks

Welcome to the community.

geise

Welcome! Don't worry about amassing too many hucards.  They are tiny if you go loosy goosy. Regardless an everdrive is a fine way to go these days, especially with the  translations.

zetastrike

Quote from: majors on 05/10/2017, 08:02 AM
Quote from: zetastrike on 05/09/2017, 08:35 PM... I only buy things I expect to get enjoyment and value out of.
This guy is on the right path...anti-collectard.

I'm the worst on the knowing current prices, but Outrun should not be $50. I'm sure a FS: thread here will have a copy for less. Also, do not pass on Victory Run...it has some goodness inside once you figure out the driving mechanics.
I'm going to wait until I have a decent amount of posts before I attempt any of the FS threads.  Is Road Spirits any good?

To add to the anti collectard thing: I got my copy of Space Harrier in the mail today.  It was still sealed, I got it for less than $30 shipped.  I unwrapped it and promptly played and enjoyed it.  I like buying cheap sealed games for the heck of it.  I do it semi-often for Japanese Saturn and 3DO games when I find them.

Also: is using a Genesis 1 AV cable a bad idea?

majors

Quote from: zetastrike on 05/10/2017, 09:44 PMIs Road Spirits any good?
I got nothing on that...I can't recall playing it. I've been looking for Bari Bari recently even though it get poor reviews. It seems fun enough for me and it's a cheapy.

Quote from: zetastrike on 05/10/2017, 09:44 PMAlso: is using a Genesis 1 AV cable a bad idea?
That means you loose stereo, right? Other than that, I do not know of any issues.
TG/PCE Collection.
"Booze should be a choice, not a privilege" -KCDC (The FP)

Sarumaru

Welcommmmmmmme to your DOOOOOMMM!!!

J/K. Hope you have fun here :)

zetastrike

Holy crap, I got further than I ever have in Gradius II before.  In the Saturn version, I never make it through the Moai stage.  Tonight in the PCECD version I got through it (after dying once), beat the boss with the pea shooter, and got halfway through the next stage, the PCE exclusive one.

zetastrike

This board is great.  I don't have much to contribute yet, but it's great to read here.

esteban

Quote from: zetastrike on 05/11/2017, 08:45 PMHoly crap, I got further than I ever have in Gradius II before.  In the Saturn version, I never make it through the Moai stage.  Tonight in the PCECD version I got through it (after dying once), beat the boss with the pea shooter, and got halfway through the next stage, the PCE exclusive one.
I love Gradius II on PCE.

It doesn't get a lot of love and hype, but it is a solid game. Quote worthy of the "Gradius" legacy.

You won't be disappointed with any of the (handful) of Konami PCE releases.

:)
IMGIMG IMG  |  IMG  |  IMG IMG

zetastrike

Quote from: esteban on 05/14/2017, 11:08 PM
Quote from: zetastrike on 05/11/2017, 08:45 PMHoly crap, I got further than I ever have in Gradius II before.  In the Saturn version, I never make it through the Moai stage.  Tonight in the PCECD version I got through it (after dying once), beat the boss with the pea shooter, and got halfway through the next stage, the PCE exclusive one.
I love Gradius II on PCE.

It doesn't get a lot of love and hype, but it is a solid game. Quote worthy of the "Gradius" legacy.

You won't be disappointed with any of the (handful) of Konami PCE releases.

:)
It's really strange that Gradius II or the first one don't get hyped to the moon on the PCE.  They're really the only console ports that did the arcade justice until the Saturn was out.  I'm not complaining though.

Winniez

The Famicom port of Gradius 2 is really good aswell considering the hardware limitations. I love the first game on the PCE but the lack of hype might be partially explained by the release date, it came out 6 years after the arcade original.

zetastrike

Been spending a lot of time with the Turbo ED the past few days.  I've never played >95% of these games.  It's been great discovering them.

Mi5terDNA

Quote from: zetastrike on 05/20/2017, 09:09 PMBeen spending a lot of time with the Turbo ED the past few days.  I've never played >95% of these games.  It's been great discovering them.
I'm in the same boat, I got a TED recently and whenever I sit down and play it's a whole library of games I'm totally unfamiliar with.  It's an amazing system and an exciting feeling.
eBay Feedback: http://ebay.to/1U809Kn
FamicomWorld Feedback: http://bit.ly/1Vh9DYQ

Bardoly

A belated welcome to Pcenginefx!