@GTV reviews the Cosmic Fantasy 1-2 Switch collection by Edia, provides examples of the poor English editing/localization work. It's much worse for CF1. Rated "D" for disappointment, finding that TurboGrafx CF2 is better & while CF1's the real draw, Edia screwed it up...
Main Menu

Just got Skyrim for the Switch

Started by BigusSchmuck, 12/09/2017, 09:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BigusSchmuck

Yep there goes my life for the next month or so. :P Very impressed by this port.

seieienbu

I just picked it up for the PS4.  I've never played it before so it's all new to me.  I'm only a couple of hours in but I'm enjoying it thus far.
Current want list:  Bomberman 93

ClodBusted

I started Skyrim in two or three years ago on the Xbox 360. Initially, I bought it for my girlfriend since she wanted it, in the end I played it most of the time.

SuperGrafx

I was wondering about how it ran/performed in comparison to say the X360 version.

How are the load times?  Frame rate issues?  Any weird lagging or stuff like that?

BigusSchmuck

Quote from: SuperGrafx on 12/12/2017, 06:29 PMI was wondering about how it ran/performed in comparison to say the X360 version.

How are the load times?  Frame rate issues?  Any weird lagging or stuff like that?
No issues in the least other than its a little dark when playing in handheld mode. Oh yeah and weird bugs like giants not getting into buildings and such. You can still cheese them pretty easily. Still an awesome game and a great port!

Gredler

Quote from: BigusSchmuck on 12/13/2017, 08:19 AMits a little dark when playing in handheld mode
I've noticed this with a bunch of switch games in handheld mode, especially Xenoblade Chronicles 2... So dark!

sirhcman

Quote from: Gredler on 12/13/2017, 02:36 PM
Quote from: BigusSchmuck on 12/13/2017, 08:19 AMits a little dark when playing in handheld mode
I've noticed this with a bunch of switch games in handheld mode, especially Xenoblade Chronicles 2... So dark!
Gotta do what they can to hide the 356p resolution graphics ;) Seriously though it probably has more to do with battery life.. maybe?

Gredler

Quote from: guest on 12/13/2017, 03:15 PMGotta do what they can to hide the 356p resolution graphics ;) Seriously though it probably has more to do with battery life.. maybe?
I think the contrast on the Switch's screen is just poor; it has dark darks and very bright brights, but the values in between them are low. grey's are either very dark or very bright.

There is a pretty easy to access and wide variable brightness slider if you hold the home button down, and the brightness on full bright is plenty bright; even at its brightest there are dark areas.

I wonder, actually, if these games don't have a high ambient brightness and the fake HDR exposure is just crunching values so low (XBC2 and Skrym both have fake HDR / Exposure based illumination)

And yes, that shitty low resolution is not doing any favors for the brightness. Screen brightness for exposure is calculated by how many pixels are of a brightness vs the rest; so if there are only 356 pixels and 1/4th of them are darker than the rest, those will be extra dark as the engine tries to force crunchy exposure values. Where the game would display grey values the scaling resolution will clamp those down into nearby values, causing exposure to get wacky. Personally a more static lighting setup would have been preferred but I doubt they planned for that low of resolution, and hopefully as performance patches come down the pipe exposure will benefit from the higher resolutions.