@GTV reviews the Cosmic Fantasy 1-2 Switch collection by Edia, provides examples of the poor English editing/localization work. It's much worse for CF1. Rated "D" for disappointment, finding that TurboGrafx CF2 is better & while CF1's the real draw, Edia screwed it up...
Main Menu

Bookface, Instagram... bullshit

Started by esteban, 03/28/2018, 11:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

esteban

So, I finally tried this bullshit... Instagram, Favebook... WTF?

There is absolutely nothing to bite into and savor... it's vapid, ephemeral bullshit.

There is absolutely no way to really talk about something. To get "in depth"... To have a real conversation "open for others" to follow and then join.

I am even more committed to hating this bullshit.

I guess I want to type out too many words?

So, anyway, I know I am in the minority...  but a viable platform should at least *support* genuine conversation, even if only 0.001% of users take advantage of it.

I've seen better conversations on TubeYou than Instagram/Favebrook (ok, I'm joking about that...it's about the same shit:quality ratio, IMHO, which is pretty damning).

My own family and friends reposting lame shit like it was 1990's email chain-letter attachments? WTF?

The PURE PAP that gets recycled, holy shit, kill me now.

BOTTOM LINE: pcefx, discord, etc. are a billion times better than the rotten arsehole of trendy social media.

I WILL NEVER SNAPCHAT, may the devil fuck my arse for a millennium before I sink to that level of barbarity.

So, how's the weather by you?
IMGIMG IMG  |  IMG  |  IMG IMG

seieienbu

I hope you're writing posts in all caps and ending your statements with "COMRADE!" on all of your friends' status updates.
Current want list:  Bomberman 93

crazydean

It has been cold and rainy, but it should be warming up within the next few days.

Thanks for asking.

NecroPhile

Quote from: esteban on 03/28/2018, 11:44 PM... may the devil fuck my arse for a millennium...
I hope you mean the christian devil.  I don't have that kind of stamina.  :mrgreen:
Ultimate Forum Bully/Thief/Saboteur/Clone Warrior! BURN IN HELL NECROPHUCK!!!

LostFlunky

LCD.

It was a sad day when I realized that the majority of people in this world are stupid.  When I say majority, I really mean 99.999%...

I feel like I have been babysitting ever since...

Gypsy

It's about posting mail pics and having people smash dat like button to validate you. It's pretty stupid.

SignOfZeta

Everyone shut the hell up and get back to posting horrible photos* of super common stuff you just quad paid for.

I agree, it's the difficulty (impossibility, really) of carrying on anything like an in depth conversation that is the big problem. It's made so people can jerk each other off in the moment. Once you navigate away from that thread you may never see it again.

Also, there are 8000 splinter groups for every topic and each one with a heavy handed mod who will ban for you at the drop of a hat. I was on a vintage anime FB group for a while and then one day I just wasn't. Nobody ever sent me a notice, a warning, or an explanation. The only thing I can infer is that since I advocated for bootlegging long out of print garage kits that only existsed in quantities of dozens and decades ago, I guess that violates their all-encompassing anti bootleg language in their terms of service. This would align with their completely unrealistic worship of copyright and corporate might so that must have been it. It's interesting that this bootleg-phobia is almost non-existant in any other type of modeling I can think of. American 1/24 scale auto guys pirate out of print bodies all day and night, stuff from the 60s even, making improvements and even selling them on in shops. Facebook friendly anime fans apparently feel that once a GK is out of print (the next day) then it just just be unavailable or maybe be a kit nobody builds that just goes back on eBay every few months. Trying to explain to these mall otaku that this just doesn't work is impossible. They'll ban you before you can even make your point.

* serious question: how does one even take a bad photo these days? There aren't any bad cameras on the market. If you have an iPhone you probably have a lightbulb so USE IT. I feel like I'm stuck right IN the trailer with some of these people...
IMG

Gredler

I regret every time I get on facebook for anything other than messenger to contact someone who is not in my phone, or get contacted through it by someone who doesn't have my number. I've thought about deleting my facebook many times, I kinda hate it, but I do get contacted for various fun things through it a few times a year since it came out - be it reunions with high school or college friends, recruitment for hockey teams and activities, or keeping in touch with people on here outside of the forums (DK, Arkhan, Nulltard, Sarumaru).

As a source of content, or community, I cannot enjoy it. I joined some groups for "TURBO GRAPHICS SIXTEEN" shortly after friending the above mentioned PCEFX home boys, and barely lasted a day before exiting the groups. I am happy for the people who enjoy it, and hope they stick to it, but I just don't fit in with that crew and will avoid it for now.

Psycho Punch

I think it's just how the new generation rolls, they don't care about anything meaningful or deep. Take a look at the #1 "forum" platform for anything niche nowadays, the self purported "Home page of the internet", Reddit. There's a surprising number of reddit pages to anything you can think of, however discussions there can never compare to good old message board threads since everything revolves about how new your thread is and how many "upvotes" you got. It's not common to see deep, meaningful conversations disappear from the thread listing after a day or so because the massively upvoted memes took their place instead. Did I mention that there's no "bump" and your thread dies off anyway after a certain amount of time? :lol:

Even message boards nowadays are shallow and pointless.
This Toxic Turbo Troll & Clone Warrior calls himself "Burning Fight!!" on Neo-Geo.com
For a good time, reach out to: aleffrenan94@gmail.com or punchballmariobros@gmail.com
Like DildoKobold, dildos are provided free of charge, no need to bring your own! :lol:
He also ran scripts to steal/clone this forum which blew up the error logs!
I had to delete THOUSANDS of error log entries cause of this nutcase!
how_to_spell_ys_sign_origin_ver.webp

Gypsy

Reddit is an absolutely terrible format.

JoshTurboTrollX

Oh shut up ya'll love MyFace and InstaFriend.  Go back to your business. 

yea, I'm looking at you especially Esty!!
Jossshhhhh...Legendary TurboTrollX-16: He revenge-bans PCE Developers/Ys IV Localizers from PCE Facebook groups and destroyed 2 PC Engine groups: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook, then the other by Aaron Nanto!!! Josh and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together! Both times he blamed the Aarons and their staff in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner (extortion!), never himself nor his deranged, destructive, toxic turbo troll gang!

SignOfZeta

Quote from: guest on 03/29/2018, 02:02 PMI think it's just how the new generation rolls, they don't care about anything meaningful or deep.
Eat shit, Grandpa. You're so wrong about that I couldn't begin to explain it. Condemning an entire "generation" with a fad product is just stupid. There's no other word for it. Besides, the stupidest of these products is by *far* Facebook and that's really the most popular with people even older than me.
IMG

Psycho Punch

Quote from: SignOfZeta on 03/29/2018, 08:07 PM
Quote from: Psycho Punch on 03/29/2018, 02:02 PMI think it's just how the new generation rolls, they don't care about anything meaningful or deep.
Eat shit, Grandpa. You're so wrong about that I couldn't begin to explain it. Condemning an entire "generation" with a fad product is just stupid. There's no other word for it. Besides, the stupidest of these products is by *far* Facebook and that's really the most popular with people even older than me.
LOL look who's talking, the guy who hates everything and everyone. :lol:
I'll admit of being wrong with my generalization, though.
This Toxic Turbo Troll & Clone Warrior calls himself "Burning Fight!!" on Neo-Geo.com
For a good time, reach out to: aleffrenan94@gmail.com or punchballmariobros@gmail.com
Like DildoKobold, dildos are provided free of charge, no need to bring your own! :lol:
He also ran scripts to steal/clone this forum which blew up the error logs!
I had to delete THOUSANDS of error log entries cause of this nutcase!
how_to_spell_ys_sign_origin_ver.webp

NoSexGex

For a good time, reach out to this wily KKKFarm-crankcaller at (780) 717-9274 or Ryleystuartreynolds@gmail.com up in Alberta, Canada!
His last crank-voicemail: "Gimme a call back when you can. This is Ryley by the way... *giggles*"
He then followed it up with 8 WEEKS of ~DAILY calling! BAN ON SIGHT!!!

ToyMachine78

Which is why I have no social media accounts.

SignOfZeta

Quote from: guest on 03/29/2018, 08:33 PM
Quote from: SignOfZeta on 03/29/2018, 08:07 PM
Quote from: guest on 03/29/2018, 02:02 PMI think it's just how the new generation rolls, they don't care about anything meaningful or deep.
LOL look who's talking, the guy who hates everything and everyone. :lol:
I'll admit of being wrong with my generalization, though.
Anyone who thinks I hate everything has either no experience with the things I love or is just saying that because that's what they say when I tell them their favorite thing sucks. When I say I don't like PS4 or Corvettes or Capitalism or whatever I'm a hater but when I talk about how much I love a certain thing...tumbleweeds, pretty much.

The difference is that what I love poorly translates to the internet. It's easy to show what shit you just bought or that cool photo you took of yourself bathing in $100 bills and vintage Jordans. It's also easy to complain (easy for my ass anyway).  It's a lot harder to get people excited about a song you just wrote or talking about a book you read or whatever. Many people  simply have no experience engaging people in that kind of conversation online.

One thing I definitely don't hate is "this generation".
IMG

majors

Quote from: Gredler on 03/29/2018, 01:48 PMI regret every time I get on facebook for anything other than messenger to contact someone who is not in my phone, or get contacted through it by someone who doesn't have my number.
Pretty much my current use of FB now. Too many ppl use it as e-mail. And doesn't one need an e-mail address to join anyhow?

I'd admit I have used FB to see when stores close or if open holidays.
TG/PCE Collection.
"Booze should be a choice, not a privilege" -KCDC (The FP)

SignOfZeta

People's reliance on messaging in FB puzzles me. I guess they want a proprietary system with a shit editor and no archive or searching?
IMG

bartre

I just use it to dump crap on collectards

TheClash603

I don't like the idea of people I've left in my past having a view into my current life.  Specifically, a lot of my friends growing up have turned to lives filled with drugs or crime, I would rather just not talk to those people anymore.  Also ex-girlfriends shouldn't have a view into my current life.

I understand there are privacy settings, but I also have friends that love "Facebook stalking" and these settings don't seem to actually stop these guys.

SignOfZeta

Quote from: TheClash603 on 03/30/2018, 04:05 PMI don't like the idea of people I've left in my past having a view into my current life.  Specifically, a lot of my friends growing up have turned to lives filled with drugs or crime, I would rather just not talk to those people anymore.  Also ex-girlfriends shouldn't have a view into my current life.

I understand there are privacy settings, but I also have friends that love "Facebook stalking" and these settings don't seem to actually stop these guys.
You sound like an asshole.
IMG

TheClash603

Quote from: SignOfZeta on 03/31/2018, 09:07 AM
Quote from: TheClash603 on 03/30/2018, 04:05 PMI don't like the idea of people I've left in my past having a view into my current life.  Specifically, a lot of my friends growing up have turned to lives filled with drugs or crime, I would rather just not talk to those people anymore.  Also ex-girlfriends shouldn't have a view into my current life.

I'd be a better guy if I kept in touch with my once best friend that now does a lot of drugs and tries to steal from anyone he comes in contact with to allow for him to do these drugs?  The same guy that spent 7 years in prison for sexual assault?

I just don't want to deal with any of that.

Gypsy

Quote from: SignOfZeta on 03/31/2018, 09:07 AM

Sounds like his former friends are the assholes. Some people just can't be helped, learned that a long time ago.

geise

My mom needs my uncles death certificate so she can cancel his account and stop getting "wish George a happy birthday" notice every fucking year. They make it near impossible to cancel on purpose.

Esteban, you and I are in total agreement with all of it.

Gypsy

Quote from: geise on 03/31/2018, 08:05 PMMy mom needs my uncles death certificate so she can cancel his account and stop getting "wish George a happy birthday" notice every fucking year. They make it near impossible to cancel on purpose.

Esteban, you and I are in total agreement with all of it.
Yeah I've heard it's really difficult to do now. When my brother did it many years ago it wasn't as bad.

wildfruit

I looked at snapchat once. I really don't understand it. What purpose does it serve? Am I too old to understand it?

PukeSter

Quote from: wildfruit on 04/01/2018, 07:52 PMI looked at snapchat once. I really don't understand it. What purpose does it serve? Am I too old to understand it?
snapchat was originally for sexting, but now it's basically the "photo" version of facebook. You make updates (stories) constantly, which always refresh. You can either send each other photos or texts, which auto-delete. Now corporate shill companies are using it to "spread news" and C-List "hawt" celebrities like Kylie Jenner and DJ Khalid use it to promote their brand.

You can also use AR filters on your face, draw stuff or add cartoon pictures of yourself (Snapchat bought Bitstrips)

If a girl doesn't want to give a guy their number first, they give them their snapchat.

I use it regularly though. I don't use instagram often, facebook mostly for pce groups and access to other sites, and I stay far, far away from Twitter.

Gredler

I use snapchat for sharing specific moments with specific people. Like hey dude check out this bar I am at, or hey wife check out how chilled out the pups are, etc. It's nice for mindless sharing of pointless shit. I use it infrequently but do use it on ocassion. It's less of a persistent timeline so I feel more inclined to use it.

Sparky

Facebook is fucked, there are only a few things I enjoy, Following Pee Wee Herman and Elvira mistress of the dark and my Canadian cult horror movie group which I really enjoy seeing in my feed with cool cult shit pictures of old movies & memorabilia. Thats the main joy, but I am part of turbo town and turbo repro but I don't get into many convos as your so right it's hard to get into something deep or have some good back and forth when things get buried so fast by the next collection or recent buys getting posted or your old aunt posting some sentimental shit she found on line.

I even have a tg16 spine label page I just added recently but I don't even know how to work it properly. Getting likes is the only joy you get I guess,  it even tells me when people unlike or even view my page and wants me to boost my post to get more attention for $4 a day :P.

There is a messenger group I am part of that is cool with a gang of old schools from here but it's private thank god but even that you have to turn notifications off or the boys will drive your ringer batty with the shenanigans.

LostFlunky

My 14 year old said FB is for old people.  Of course by "old" she probably meant 20+.

SignOfZeta

Can we get back to the question of terrible photos? Like, have you ever noticed the phenomenon where a guy tells you he's buying something, shows links to the auction, and then when he actually gets the stuff he doesn't even bother to switch the light on before he chucks it all in a heap and photographs it from a trampoline and shows that to everyone? How sad is your FB addition when you need the Likes faster than you can take a decent picture of a cardboard box with something as fool proof as an iPhone?
IMG

xcrement5x

I like Instaham, it's good for scrolling through while taking a shit or something.

esteban

I just lost my post. Fuck me!

Anyway, this is what I wrote:

I love you all. Thank you.

This thread, ALONE, provided more value than weeks of fb+instagram PCE crap.

I am not going to respond to everyone's post, even though I want to, because I would write too much stuff.

Every.
Single.
Post.
Was.
Gold.

I love what everyone wrote.

:)

Yeah, the chat at fb is probably the best part of ShatBook.

:)
IMGIMG IMG  |  IMG  |  IMG IMG

NightWolve

Only noticed your thread now.

What is this discord like ?

Had someone trying to invite me to a Falcom discord but I was suspicious about the invitation and I honestly don't feel like registering to yet another platform, my social media presence is enough with FacialBook & Twitter.

Gypsy

Discord is basically a private chat room.

I love Discord for chatting with people I already know. I wouldn't want to join some massive Falcom server.

Digi.k

Quote from: Gypsy on 04/15/2018, 09:24 PMDiscord is basically a private chat room.

I love Discord for chatting with people I already know. I wouldn't want to join some massive Falcom server.
yup it's mostly gaming related.  Sort of like WhatsApp for gaming.

xcrement5x

Quote from: NightWolve on 04/15/2018, 09:22 PMOnly noticed your thread now.

What is this discord like ?

Had someone trying to invite me to a Falcom discord but I was suspicious about the invitation and I honestly don't feel like registering to yet another platform, my social media presence is enough with FacialBook & Twitter.
A Falcom discord sounds interesting, but I don't really join many channels except for the PCEFX one and Saru's channel.