OMG! ZIRIA! ZIRIA!! ZIRIA!!! IT ACTUALLY HAPPENED!! 34 YEARS LATER!! The epic/legendary Tengai Makyou/Far East of Eden: Ziria JRPG has finally been localized! Supper the Subtitler struck again! Simply unstoppable, NOTHING can prevent him from TOTAL PCECD localization domination!!!! WHACHA GONNA DO BROTHER?!?!
Main Menu

Yet another new member of the site

Started by ColinM, 04/12/2018, 08:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ColinM

Hi all! I found this forum because I was searching for information about the different models of PC Engine, found out about mods and whatnot, all that good stuff. This site is an overwhelmingly awesome resource for a prospective Turbo Duo(I think?!) owner.

I've been collecting systems and games to play, not to sit on a shelf for a few years now. I also am in the process of building a consolized Neo Geo arcade board, have modded quite a few of my own, built raspberry pi Gameboys, portables of other types etc.

My current setup is a 36" Sony Trinitron SD CRT with all my systems running through an Extron System 10 Plus switch, via either component or S Video.

The only system I had growing up was SNES and Gameboy. I purchased a Virtual Boy for 39.99 at Babbages when they were dirt cheap too the year after they came out. Other than that, I got a used PS1 and Neo Geo Pocket Color in high school, gamecube in college and then got into PC Gaming.

I've hit it hard in the past few years, once I realized I could solder quite well, and repair electronics, I started getting broken or abused systems and fixing them for myself.

Started with a Sega Master System, then a Neo Geo AES, then a Sega Saturn, Genesis 2, NES, Atari 2600, and of course I have my original SNES, Virtual Boy, Neo Geo Pocket Color, Gameboy, Gamecube and PS1. The next logical system I always wanted was the Turbo Grafx 16, but for a multitude of reasons i'm hoping to snag a Turbo Duo. I don't need collectible, I want to be able to play the games! Part of the reason I got rid of my Neo Geo AES was this. Just too expensive to play, the MVS carts are considerably cheaper.

My current setup after I had just moved into my house and started unpacking to set things up, i'll be building a better stand for the TV and consoles as my next project. This was just so I could finally play again after everything being in storage while my wife and I were renting an apartment. I keep all my games/accessories in another couple bookcases nearby, so the layout needs some work.

EDIT: I'm in upstate NY in the United States. Forgot to mention that!

IMG

NecroPhile

Welcome aboard!  That switch thing looks beefy and badass, and the 2600 up front makes me smile.

I wouldn't advise getting a TurboDuo.  They're too damn expensive, as are many of the US games; save a wad of dough and get a nice PCE Duo or Duo R/RX.
Ultimate Forum Bully/Thief/Saboteur/Clone Warrior! BURN IN HELL NECROPHUCK!!!

ColinM

Haha I meant a PCE Duo..I'm still figuring out what means what lol. I'm in contact with Keith Courage to get one from him.

Yeah the extron is a commercial grade switch. Uses BNC inputs. It's not officially for component, technically just RGB, S video and composite, but component works fine. It's night and day better than those pelican switches.

ClodBusted

roflmao

esteban

Welcome, comrade, to the most peaceful place in the cosmos.

:)

Upstate NY = Southern Canada
IMGIMG IMG  |  IMG  |  IMG IMG

TheClash603

Quote from: esteban on 04/17/2018, 07:32 PMWelcome, comrade, to the most peaceful place in the cosmos.

:)

Upstate NY = Southern Canada
As a fellow upstate NY guy I resent what you are saying.  We are completely different and I am sure most agree, eh?

wildfruit

Welcomings! Nice telly.
I have an urge to come and tidy your cabling though.
I got my duo from KC. You won't regret it.

ColinM

Quote from: wildfruit on 04/18/2018, 06:24 PMWelcomings! Nice telly.
I have an urge to come and tidy your cabling though.
I got my duo from KC. You won't regret it.
Yup, got my Duo from him the other day...man this thing kicks butt!

Oh don't worry that is strictly a temporary setup. The cables are already neatened up quite a bit since that picture though. That was driving me nuts as well. I had to install some more outlets in my basement first so the pile of extension cord in the corner is gone too. This was an unfinished basement I just put flooring down and am in the process of making a "rec/game room". So the layout overall might even change. Hence using furniture I already had for the time being until I figure out exactly how I want things set up.

in99flames

Welcome sir! I really like that switcher........what is it and where can I get one?

Also. If you are looking for any MVS carts for your home arcade neo geo console... I have around 50 mvs carts i need to sell(many with Original artwork and instructions). Many duplicates but some good titles.
I am somebody's mommy!
----name that movie quote :)

ColinM

Quote from: in99flames on 04/22/2018, 01:22 PMWelcome sir! I really like that switcher........what is it and where can I get one?

Also. If you are looking for any MVS carts for your home arcade neo geo console... I have around 50 mvs carts i need to sell(many with Original artwork and instructions). Many duplicates but some good titles.
It's an Extron System 10 Plus. I snagged mine on ebay for under $50 shipped. Then you'll need RCA to BNC adapters and S video breakouts to BNC etc. Once it's all set up it's a very very nice switch though.

I'll be in touch about MVS carts!

in99flames

Awesome. Ive dealt with bnc a lot. Im gonna check it now. Thanks!

Let me know! Im still sorting the tons of artwork and marquees. Its a lot to go through :-P
I am somebody's mommy!

ColinM

Quote from: in99flames on 04/23/2018, 12:09 AMAwesome. Ive dealt with bnc a lot. Im gonna check it now. Thanks!

Let me know! Im still sorting the tons of artwork and marquees. Its a lot to go through :-P
If you do component in you'll need to make audio breakouts. The audio connects in through phoenix connectors. The swtich i got was missing a few, these are the correct ones you'll need:

https://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/phoenix-contact/5452217/277-11439-ND/5187291

Then you'll have to wire RCA jacks to those.

I used these and wired them to the phoenix connector:

HTTX RCA Female Plug to AV Screw Terminal Audio/Video Connector Adapter (8-Pack) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01HAVU9IE/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_.DC3AbV0B1X9T

But you could just buy an RCA audio cable cut it and use that.

in99flames

Gotcha. I wont be needing it for component. Ill keep this info handy though as I may in the future! Thanks!
I am somebody's mommy!

ColinM

Quote from: in99flames on 04/23/2018, 10:45 AMGotcha. I wont be needing it for component. Ill keep this info handy though as I may in the future! Thanks!
S video you'll need something like this then:

S-Video 'Y' Adapter (4-Pin S-VHS Male to Two BNC Male Connectors) : 45-455 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B004GIDT00/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_UiF3Ab2S0MJGE

And you can just run rca audio in through bnc adapters. Whatever video signal you send in, is the signal it sends out. It won't convert anything. I haven't tried composite on it yet. But component, s video, and rgb work great. Try and get one that has all the button covers, replacements of those are hard to come by.