MEGA SG Announced No emulation. 1080p. Zero lag. Total accuracy.

Started by tbone3969, 10/16/2018, 12:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tbone3969

"There's something out there in those trees and it ain't no man. We're all gonna die."

Medic_wheat

Just learned the same. Seems their webpage finally updated as it was inaccessible for awhile.

Seems to have ability to connect to a Sega cd. Play everything Genesis backwards. No verification from what I could tel to play 32X games without the need of that converter.

Would like it if a modern cd reader of some sort could also be used as well.

NightWolve

Got link ?

https://www.analogue.co/mega-sg/

QuoteWe set out to design the definitive way to explore Sega's 16-bit and 8-bit era. A reimagining of the underdog that led a 16-bit revolution. Engineered with an FPGA. No emulation. 1080p. Zero lag. Total accuracy. Mega Sg is not a plug n' play toy. Compatible with the 2,180+ Sega Genesis, Mega Drive and Master System game cartridge library. Explore and re-live one of the greatest video game systems of all time with no compromises.

tbone3969

You can even hook it up to a real Sega CD!!!

Plus analogue stereo out jack in the front.

Just take my money already.
"There's something out there in those trees and it ain't no man. We're all gonna die."

NightWolve

Wow, all of YouTube has been down for at least an hour now!

IMG

Quote from: tbone3969 on 10/16/2018, 09:18 PMYou can even hook it up to a real Sega CD!!!
Yeah, saw that, real FPGA deal for Sega fans, but SD system needed for CD image support eventually.

nopepper

I think it's great that one of the greatest consoles ever is finally getting some FPGA love and open up its awesome library to a new generation of hipsters/gamers. Just like with the Super NT, I don't need this, as I have multiple CRTs, an OSSC and a Framemeister, but I really do applaud this offering.

With that said, I am very excited about finally being able to buy a wireless dongle for the Genesis, as I love 8bitdos implementation for the NES and SNES. Now, we just need one for the PCE and all will be good in the world.

tbone3969

Quote from: nopepper on 10/18/2018, 01:37 PMI think it's great that one of the greatest consoles ever is finally getting some FPGA love and open up its awesome library to a new generation of hipsters/gamers. Just like with the Super NT, I don't need this, as I have multiple CRTs, an OSSC and a Framemeister, but I really do applaud this offering.

With that said, I am very excited about finally being able to buy a wireless dongle for the Genesis, as I love 8bitdos implementation for the NES and SNES. Now, we just need one for the PCE and all will be good in the world.
I don't think the controllers are 8 bitdo for this.  They aren't bluetooth but 2.4 Ghrz or some shit.

Also, what do you like better the OSSC or Framemeister?

nopepper

Quote from: tbone3969 on 10/18/2018, 03:11 PMI don't think the controllers are 8 bitdo for this.  They aren't bluetooth but 2.4 Ghrz or some shit.
From their webpage:
"You can finally play Sega wirelessly and lag-free with 8BitDo's high quality retro M30 controller. We partnered up with 8BitDo to offer matching controllers for Mega Sg, including a wireless 2.4g receiver at discounted price."

I don't see a USB connector anywhere in their mocks (other than for power), so I'm assuming the receiver will connect to the controller port and will be compatible with OEM consoles. It'll be interesting to see if that is the case and if so, how this will compare performance and price wise to Krikzz wireless controller offering.

Quote from: tbone3969 on 10/18/2018, 03:11 PMAlso, what do you like better the OSSC or Framemeister?
I generally prefer the OSSC as it just looks better (the colors in particular) and introduces no lag, so it feels more like playing on a CRT to me. It also has VGA input (missing from FM), so you can connect your DC and output a digital HDMI signal.

On the flip side, some of its modes (such as 5x) have incompatibility issues with some displays when paired with certain consoles (mainly SNES), although thankfully, not with any of my monitors or tvs. It's also missing an SVideo input and 480i deinterlacing is lacking in comparison to the Framemeister (although you are probably better off letting your TV do this instead of an upscaler/FM or line doubler/OSSC).

I currently only use the Framemeister for PSP, as it does a decent job of zooming the tiny component input screen that console provides. The FM can cover pretty much any console you throw at it and you will know it will be compatible with your display. There are also profiles you can download that makes system specific setting changes at the flip of a remote controlled button a snap. The OSSC also has memory settings, but you have to do the setup yourself (AFAIK). The OSSC seems to work better OOTB, with less tinkering then the FM, so this last issue is mostly a mute point, at least to me.

You really can't go wrong with either, but if you can live without SVideo support and/or zooming features, I'd say go for the OSSC. It is also cheaper, so there's that...

tbone3969

Quote from: nopepper on 10/18/2018, 04:28 PM
Quote from: tbone3969 on 10/18/2018, 03:11 PMI don't think the controllers are 8 bitdo for this.  They aren't bluetooth but 2.4 Ghrz or some shit.
From their webpage:
"You can finally play Sega wirelessly and lag-free with 8BitDo's high quality retro M30 controller. We partnered up with 8BitDo to offer matching controllers for Mega Sg, including a wireless 2.4g receiver at discounted price."

I don't see a USB connector anywhere in their mocks (other than for power), so I'm assuming the receiver will connect to the controller port and will be compatible with OEM consoles. It'll be interesting to see if that is the case and if so, how this will compare performance and price wise to Krikzz wireless controller offering.

Quote from: tbone3969 on 10/18/2018, 03:11 PMAlso, what do you like better the OSSC or Framemeister?
I generally prefer the OSSC as it just looks better (the colors in particular) and introduces no lag, so it feels more like playing on a CRT to me. It also has VGA input (missing from FM), so you can connect your DC and output a digital HDMI signal.

On the flip side, some of its modes (such as 5x) have incompatibility issues with some displays when paired with certain consoles (mainly SNES), although thankfully, not with any of my monitors or tvs. It's also missing an SVideo input and 480i deinterlacing is lacking in comparison to the Framemeister (although you are probably better off letting your TV do this instead of an upscaler/FM or line doubler/OSSC).

I currently only use the Framemeister for PSP, as it does a decent job of zooming the tiny component input screen that console provides. The FM can cover pretty much any console you throw at it and you will know it will be compatible with your display. There are also profiles you can download that makes system specific setting changes at the flip of a remote controlled button a snap. The OSSC also has memory settings, but you have to do the setup yourself (AFAIK). The OSSC seems to work better OOTB, with less tinkering then the FM, so this last issue is mostly a mute point, at least to me.

You really can't go wrong with either, but if you can live without SVideo support and/or zooming features, I'd say go for the OSSC. It is also cheaper, so there's that...
Thanks for all the info.  I will be going with the OSSC it seems when/if I get the urge to splurge.

Medic_wheat

I kinda want to get he white Verona. But. It sure if it would clash to all hell when attacked to a Sega cd.