OMG! ZIRIA! ZIRIA!! ZIRIA!!! IT ACTUALLY HAPPENED!! 34 YEARS LATER!! The epic/legendary Tengai Makyou/Far East of Eden: Ziria JRPG has finally been localized! Supper the Subtitler struck again! Simply unstoppable, NOTHING can prevent him from TOTAL PCECD localization domination!!!! WHACHA GONNA DO BROTHER?!?!
Main Menu

Looking for someone to do some repairs and mods

Started by Marll, 01/03/2019, 03:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Marll

I'm hoping someone experienced with repairs and mods might be able to take on some repairs and mods I'd like to have done to my systems. I have my original TG16 and TGCD that I got for Christmas in 1989 and 1990, and everything has worked well up until about 2 years ago when the CDROM stopped spinning. I knew the gears were going out due to the noises that it would make when accessing the disc when the laser had to move (plastic clicking and grinding noises). I have a good level of skill with electronics repair, I just don't have the time to actually get the repairs done.

Right now I think that the repairs I need (or might be a good idea to do) are:
  • TGCD gear replacement (I have the parts to do the replacement)
  • TGCD resistor replacement for loading "whirring" noise that comes through the TV speakers. I believe this is a surface mount resistor that was prone to getting cracked during assembly mentioned in posts here a while back. Thought this was normal until a friend bought a TGCD from Craigslist a few years ago and it was silent.
  • TGCD cap replacement (for good measure)
  • TG Express cap replacement. Currently only getting white screen when turning on. Previously had really low sound as well.

Beyond the repairs, there are some mods I'd like done as well, if anyone is doing these currently:
  • TG16 region mod
  • TGCD dock component video mod. Basically looking to take advantage of the better RGB signals coming directly from the chip, but would prefer to gave it in the dock rather than the system itself
  • TG Express screen replacement with larger screen

If anyone is currently doing these repairs and mods, please let me know. Thanks!
Rabid Turbo fan since 1989!
Happy F@ck eBay member since 2010

Keith Courage

I'm currently taking on these repairs. Feel free to send me a PM.

NightWolve

Wow, he's got a lot of stuff to keep you busy!

thesteve is also available if need be.

ginoscope

Quote from: Marll on 01/03/2019, 03:39 PM
  • TGCD resistor replacement for loading "whirring" noise that comes through the TV speakers. I believe this is a surface mount resistor that was prone to getting cracked during assembly mentioned in posts here a while back. Thought this was normal until a friend bought a TGCD from Craigslist a few years ago and it was silent.
I have never heard of this fix?  Does anyone know what resistor needs to be changed?  I noticed my TG16 cd is loud while the laser moves yet a white cdrom2 I own is much quieter.

Keith Courage

That resistor only needs to be changed if it is broken. You would know if it is broken. Sounds like a 56K modem coming out of your speakers.

It is completely normal to hear some sound coming out of the speakers when loading. There is no fix to make it go away.

Marll

Yeah, it's pretty obvious when you have this issue, just didn't realize it was a thing until a few years ago, thought it was completely normal, since mine did it from day 1.

It did get louder over the years though so when I saw that post a while back describing the issue I knew that was the problem immediately.
Rabid Turbo fan since 1989!
Happy F@ck eBay member since 2010